Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
peak lazy is watching someone else chain mobs while you zing from 41 to 78 in ten minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

15 years and I guess this game is just breaking down in all sorts of ways.

Kieyen
Dec 18, 2006

Shinjobi posted:

Please, it's as if you've never had men pretending to be kittens licking you on an mmorpg before.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
Isn't that essentially what being a Mithra is all about?

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

hagie posted:

Isn't that essentially what being a Mithra is all about?

Still best mithra name "Thatsnotatail"

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Shinjobi posted:

Way to gloat about emote cyberings.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
I saw a thing about some hacked together DX11 hijack for this game now but I tried it out and didn't get any noticable increase in city performance or FPS, and all the particle effects still looked the same. Not sure if the entire thread was full of Stockholm syndrome "I want to believe" types, or if I was just in the small minority that it just doesn't really do anything for.

Has anyone here tried it?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

LiquidFriend posted:

Way to gloat about emote cyberings.

Next time I'll send em your way. Sharing is caring.:wink:

Male of the Century posted:

I saw a thing about some hacked together DX11 hijack for this game now but I tried it out and didn't get any noticable increase in city performance or FPS, and all the particle effects still looked the same. Not sure if the entire thread was full of Stockholm syndrome "I want to believe" types, or if I was just in the small minority that it just doesn't really do anything for.

Has anyone here tried it?

Link? I'm dumb enough to try it.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
http://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=53830#p589821

or

http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/50992/ffxi-finally-in-high-quality-graphics/10/#3270261

If you do find this to be useful don't try to multi-box with it because it will try to use the listed vram amount for every instance of FFXI and that adds up quick. It also might just not do anything for you at all.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
So, I've tried the graphics work around on both my laptop and desktop. Strangely, the laptop runs much better while the desktop saw a decrease in frame rate. I might tinker with a few more settings still, but so far I'm happy as hell with my laptop performance.

Also, all coalitions: Legend status. That took forever.

Kieyen
Dec 18, 2006

Shinjobi posted:

So, I've tried the graphics work around on both my laptop and desktop. Strangely, the laptop runs much better while the desktop saw a decrease in frame rate. I might tinker with a few more settings still, but so far I'm happy as hell with my laptop performance.

Also, all coalitions: Legend status. That took forever.

Congrats, time to be that Idris GEO that you always wanted to become.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
FFXI had more atmosphere and sense of place than just about any game I've played since. Kinda wanna buy the collection and just do Vana'diel tourism 10 years later.

What was the name of the program that let you maximize draw distance and change resolution? Is that still a thing?

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

Windower.

For Windows 10 it tends to not play nice, in the event you use that.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!

hagie posted:

Windower.

For Windows 10 it tends to not play nice, in the event you use that.

I do have Windows 10.

What are my other options?

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I have Windows 10 and have zero problems with Windower. Try that first.

There are a couple workarounds for some of the DX8 problems that messes with Win10. Ashita is the other application with similar functionality to Windower

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

It seems 50/50 whether Win10 and Windower work. Mine worked for about a week with and with out plugins, then after a Windows update everything got reset or something and stopped working entirely.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

Windower in win10 works fine for me as long as drawdistance is disabled. Loading it crashes the game within 15 minutes.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

Mine would crash instantaneously upon going from PoL to game. Vanilla version worked fine, Windower wouldn't work even if set up as the vanilla.

Cart Mountain
Nov 1, 2004

Does XI interact with Steam in any weird way (I.E. If I purchase it on sale through steam right now I always have to launch it from there or something) or can I buy it on Steam , copy the key and register it online to my SquareEnix account , and continue to launch the game through Windower/PlayOnline?

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Cart Mountain posted:

Does XI interact with Steam in any weird way (I.E. If I purchase it on sale through steam right now I always have to launch it from there or something) or can I buy it on Steam , copy the key and register it online to my SquareEnix account , and continue to launch the game through Windower/PlayOnline?

You can buy it in any version and run the stand alone copy.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

Cart Mountain posted:

It works fine, that's what I did. And the goodies it comes with are great.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Stp stands for store tp. Yup. I was somehow confused about something I already knew about because I didn't think about a possible abbreviation.

Man kaiyen it must be difficult trying to explain stuff to me. :eng99:

Bender
May 12, 2001

Fun Shoe
I came back and have been getting a few jobs to 99 while also doing story missions from the various expansions. I'm up to SoA and stuck in the silly waits to get enough imprimpturs, so I thought I'd focus on gearing up a little. I have all the 117 ROE gear. What's a good thing to start focusing on? I'd prefer sticking to stuff I can solo. I have been working on the JSE cape. Anything else?

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Bender posted:

I came back and have been getting a few jobs to 99 while also doing story missions from the various expansions. I'm up to SoA and stuck in the silly waits to get enough imprimpturs, so I thought I'd focus on gearing up a little. I have all the 117 ROE gear. What's a good thing to start focusing on? I'd prefer sticking to stuff I can solo. I have been working on the JSE cape. Anything else?

119 gear.

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Bender posted:

What Job(s) do you have?

I've been able to solo my 119 Artifact and Relic armor (spending money to buy certain items of course). Also getting Wildskeeper weapons and gear has been super easy during this event. And most of skirmishes should be doable with trusts. The intermediate RoV awards will get you set up with a lot of kupons to get solid items.

You can also try to do VE ambuscades to start getting hallmarks and getting some gear. With proper trust choosing they can do most of the work.

I've now gotten stuck on Vagary for my 119 Empyrean armor, only having beaten the feet boss with a shout alliance.

Bender
May 12, 2001

Fun Shoe

Majumbo posted:

What Job(s) do you have?

I've been able to solo my 119 Artifact and Relic armor (spending money to buy certain items of course). Also getting Wildskeeper weapons and gear has been super easy during this event. And most of skirmishes should be doable with trusts. The intermediate RoV awards will get you set up with a lot of kupons to get solid items.

You can also try to do VE ambuscades to start getting hallmarks and getting some gear. With proper trust choosing they can do most of the work.

I've now gotten stuck on Vagary for my 119 Empyrean armor, only having beaten the feet boss with a shout alliance.

I have MNK NIN and SAM, though MNK is my preferred. Aren't wildskeeper weapons less than 117? Or can they be upgraded?

Bender
May 12, 2001

Fun Shoe

So you're thinking I should aim for better gear? Interesting.

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
WKR gear is 115 and depends and the augments you can/do get on it and varies greatly by job (like a MAB augmented Atoyac dagger is near best in slot for corsair).

I would say focus on getting through the RoV intermediate quests to jumpstart 119 gear. Reforged Relic gear can be a pain to acquire without thief due to the sheer number of drops and/or currency needed so at least use a treasure hunter trust for that part.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
Dear Frod does the AH forums have a semi-decent budget (ie Nirvana but not billions on abjuration +1 gear and etc.) SMN must have list? May end up doing it over the next few months.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

I'm not currently subbed to see, but if its available the Ambuscade set for MNK is a good starting point for 119. I think its the Mummu set. If that fails the 119 Skirmish set is easy to get.
You can also buy Arasy Sainti as a weapon off the AH to get started.

keep it down up there! fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jun 26, 2017

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Here we are. This guide is buried annoyingly deep on BG (or i am blind)

https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Fresh_99/RoE_Intermediate_Quest/119_Gear_Guide

Bender
May 12, 2001

Fun Shoe

Majumbo posted:

Here we are. This guide is buried annoyingly deep on BG (or i am blind)

https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Fresh_99/RoE_Intermediate_Quest/119_Gear_Guide

Ah, that's perfect. Thanks for the help everyone.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

CubsWoo posted:

Dear Frod does the AH forums have a semi-decent budget (ie Nirvana but not billions on abjuration +1 gear and etc.) SMN must have list? May end up doing it over the next few months.

Hq abj gear is suprisingly cheap for smn. Head is 10m, legs and feet are like 40m, body is sub 100m. You 'need' 2 head legs feet, 1 body, but can get away with shortcuts like af119 feet and Enticer's.

Gimme a price range for everything else but nirvana and i can toss the essentials at you, at least to point out the biggest boosts. You do want nirvana, was/grid/was+1 are a 7/8/9% increase. Nirvana is 15% by itself, 40% with aftermath up on volt strike.

I've been planning to sperg up a new guide for smn on the ffxiah forums, its quite out of date, stuck in ambuscade era.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

frodnonnag posted:

Hq abj gear is suprisingly cheap for smn. Head is 10m, legs and feet are like 40m, body is sub 100m. You 'need' 2 head legs feet, 1 body, but can get away with shortcuts like af119 feet and Enticer's.

Gimme a price range for everything else but nirvana and i can toss the essentials at you, at least to point out the biggest boosts. You do want nirvana, was/grid/was+1 are a 7/8/9% increase. Nirvana is 15% by itself, 40% with aftermath up on volt strike.

I've been planning to sperg up a new guide for smn on the ffxiah forums, its quite out of date, stuck in ambuscade era.

I have no timetable so money isn't a huge concern (outside of the daily Asura 'SMN NERFED TOMORROW I GUARANTEE IT' poo poo) but Nirvana excluded give me something around the 100m for cheap and 500m range for mid/high range I guess. I'm finishing up AG Masamune at the moment but was in the middle of Tizona but I may abandon and do SMN if it's relatively cheap.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
I wish someone would sperg up a dragoon guide. The current one on ffxiah is super out of date, but instead of making a new one you just got dudes replying to it with little bits of info.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

Ahh, I remember when the appropriate response would simply be "lolDRG"

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

I imagine the feed back loop would be hilarious

Are you dead ---yes---wait for raise
|
|
|
No
|
Wait for raise

poo poo, that's more FFXIV

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

CubsWoo posted:

I have no timetable so money isn't a huge concern (outside of the daily Asura 'SMN NERFED TOMORROW I GUARANTEE IT' poo poo) but Nirvana excluded give me something around the 100m for cheap and 500m range for mid/high range I guess. I'm finishing up AG Masamune at the moment but was in the middle of Tizona but I may abandon and do SMN if it's relatively cheap.

500m is more than enough to cover everything short of overpriced omen mercs. You'll need to farm up telchine, merlinic and a ton of omen drops tho.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

What content would be considered endgame stuff that you cant solo with trusts now. Is there any left?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Omen clears and higher tier Escha