Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Archonex posted:

One of the only threads to get locked for being too horrible apparently was closed and deleted because someone modded in genitalia so they could simulate raping people in adventurer mode. :stonk:

I want to be :stonk: but I'm currently busy laughing my rear end off at the concept of

"Urist McAdventureDwarf smashes the Kea Woman in the lower torso with his +Engorged Phallus+ and the injured part is crushed!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
e:

vvv Agreed.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Let's not discuss O. Meatgod ever again.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
Doesn't anyone have any stories of absurdly nice fortresses?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Jolly Bastion + TWBT =

The most enthusiastic description screens :3:

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I have to ask about this meatgod thing. It sounds horrible, and I am curious.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Gus Hobbleton posted:

It's a mod for dwarfs with penises and rape.

Carsius
May 7, 2013

I want to know... But at the same time, I don't...

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

TildeATH posted:

It's a mod for dwarfs with penises and rape.

That poor, poor emotional circumstance processor

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Gus Hobbleton posted:

If you absolutely must know, google "Obok Meatgod" and don't say we didn't warn you. :sigh:

Towards the end, the author tries a little too hard to shock people, and the results are... disturbing.

And that's all that needs to be said about that. Can't wait until all these bugs are squashed and the new version is playable!

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

I thought meatgod was just the thing about killing a giant with a copper hammer over the course of like an entire week

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

cock hero flux posted:

I thought meatgod was just the thing about killing a giant with a copper hammer over the course of like an entire week

It got worse. Far, far worse.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

nutranurse posted:

The moment Toady adds in any kind of mechanic where you can have ownership over other sentient creatures the DF mod forums are gonna get real ugly real fast.

You can already domesticate sapient creatures if they have the proper tags though. By default most sapient creatures can't be tamed but some animal men can be. You can't do anything creepy with them though without mods, thankfully. They just sit around talking to people. And sometimes becoming mayor.

Hail mayor tigerman! :v:

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
My current fortress has about two dozen caged badgers and I have no idea what to do with them. They keep making more badgers. I'm taking suggestions.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

moller posted:

My current fortress has about two dozen caged badgers and I have no idea what to do with them. They keep making more badgers. I'm taking suggestions.

A badger fight pit. Make a pit where you throw in prisoners and let the badgers loose on them.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

More like "piranha pit". Badgers are the absolute best creatures for that purpose, too. Since they get randomly angry at strangers, they'll eventually brutalize whatever falls in.

OrangeSoda
Oct 8, 2007

OrangeSoda digivolved into Monzaemon!

OrangeSoda has unlocked BEAR POWERS!

Toplowtech posted:

You know the minute Toady adds capturing people and healing skills in adventure mode, people will just go to the nearest kobolds camp, capture everyone and spend their time stabbing then healing them endlessly just for skill.

I'd rather have an army of forcefully conscripted kobold minions I can throw at people. Literally and figuratively.

V That and every evil overlord needs a bunch of expendable minions!

OrangeSoda fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jul 17, 2014

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

OrangeSoda posted:

I'd rather have an army of forcefully conscripted kobold minions I can throw at people. Literally and figuratively.
I guess it a way to deal with traps.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

:siren: Oi, you lot. Dwarf Therapist got a 0.40 version of DT v23 that, I quote splinterz, "hasn't exploded on me yet". Should be less out-of-date than the previous patch-job.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Internet Kraken posted:

I've always pictured trolls in Dwarf Fortress as being really smart despite their monstrous appearance. This is because they would show up during sieges with weird professions like architect and surgeon. They're ugly ape things but still smart enough to do really advanced jobs.

Architect means they like smashing buildings, Surgeon means they like cutting apart living things.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

A ruined fort, tucked away in the furthest, most inaccessible niche in the range. The only way to it is through a Terrifying freshwater swamp.

:getin:

e: Whippedshocks was the bastion and only site of this dwarven civilization. They endured constant attacks from yetis, bronze colossuses, raids from thieving "unknown creatures" and at least five distinct forgotten beasts before they were finally broken in 147 by a giant feathered crab.

scamtank fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jul 17, 2014

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Lobsterpillar posted:

Architect means they like smashing buildings, Surgeon means they like cutting apart living things.

I have a degree in building destruction and a minor in lever pulling.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
Hmm - no linux memory locations file. Dammit.

EDIT: When grabbing from the proper branch, it's there, but is apparently still the 40.01 locations.

Kenlon fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jul 17, 2014

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.
I just started an adventure as a Human Outsider, so I'm wandering around naked in the snow, unable to eat blueberries because my hands are full of a copper dagger and spear (actually just discovered the "q" command, so that problem is half-solved). I am in the modest hamlet of Fancyblunts, in the Lavender Jungles, and the villagers are living in fear of Ted Shiphail (The Snake of Tundras) the hill titan.

Somehow I don't get tired of the charm of this game.

Also love the new emoticon.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

So i finally managed to dig deep enough to find a cavern system thing, channeled all the way down somehow and now have a functioning well. In the meantime i had one moody dwarf die from thirst after me not being able to produce a Yarn Cloth for her to build something and another one went crazy because i haven't got shiny bars + a quarry or something (quarry bush maybe?)

Kinda hard to figure out that poo poo in time..

Tho a baby was born called Merdath Slaughtmerchants, which i'm sure will grow up to be a strapping young lad.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Metal ingots and raw rock. They're not that cryptic.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

I also managed to ruin a fortress start in the first year to people dying of thirst, loving river froze over as I was trying to make an underground reservoir to save water for the winter. Did some emergency digging into the depths desperate for water and got a well set up.. which apparently didnt work because so much stone fell into the water directly below the well that it filled up the tile :argh: And people for some reason won't just WALK all the way down there anymore, now 5 are dead of dehydration and like 5 more from related tantrums, Kea people swooped in in the meantime and stole every loving single thing that was still left outdoors (including my artifact bone battleaxe that just got made), and both my miners broke their legs from falling, and we still don't have water... welp time to abandon this shithole.

Also managed to get another artifact while this was going on, a gemmed bracelet inscribed with the image of itself and a dwarf I've never heard of.

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

Locus posted:

I am in the modest hamlet of Fancyblunts, in the Lavender Jungles, and the villagers are living in fear of Ted Shiphail (The Snake of Tundras) the hill titan.

Fancyblunts was a hamlet

In 415 The Blazes of Ancients founded Fancyblunts

In 415 the human Amsir Treesmoulder became a farmer in Fancyblunts

In 416 the human Citu Seedcleared became a thresher in Fancyblunts

In the midspring of 420 a great celebration was held

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Indecisive posted:

I also managed to ruin a fortress start in the first year to people dying of thirst, loving river froze over as I was trying to make an underground reservoir to save water for the winter. Did some emergency digging into the depths desperate for water and got a well set up.. which apparently didnt work because so much stone fell into the water directly below the well that it filled up the tile :argh: And people for some reason won't just WALK all the way down there anymore, now 5 are dead of dehydration and like 5 more from related tantrums, Kea people swooped in in the meantime and stole every loving single thing that was still left outdoors (including my artifact bone battleaxe that just got made), and both my miners broke their legs from falling, and we still don't have water... welp time to abandon this shithole.

Also managed to get another artifact while this was going on, a gemmed bracelet inscribed with the image of itself and a dwarf I've never heard of.

I don't know if it's because of a brewing bug in Fortress mode (I haven't tried it in DF2014 yet), but how can so many people suffer from dwarves dying of thirst? It's not that hard to keep the booze stocks well-supplied :psydwarf:

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

scamtank posted:

Metal ingots and raw rock. They're not that cryptic.

Do i just need to have these in my fort somewhere or do i have to bring the materials to the craftshop somehow?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Humans Among Us posted:

Do i just need to have these in my fort somewhere or do i have to bring the materials to the craftshop somehow?

Did you have any metal ingots?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Hurnk glorf

Toady One posted:

Some work with climbing today -- I tried to stop idle dwarves from climbing too readily up into trees or down volcanic features, though there are some tricky cases to handle there that might take more time. I made the AI consider ledge tops appropriately, made failed climbers more reluctant to climb for a bit (those didn't splatter anyway), made climbing have a higher path cost (so people wouldn't jump up the walls at each other during combat so readily, for example) and fixed a broken instance of chasing opponents vs. unwalkable spaces. I also made the tops of walls placed under trees appear properly when the trees are removed.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

I don't know what to make of that because, as silly as it looked, ninja-style wall-jumping, tree-climbing combat was cool as hell.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Well of course dwarves will climb into volcanoes. Why wouldn't they? :downs:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Toady has explicitly said that he doesn't want content related to sexual slavery or concubines or similar in DF, and that's why it was removed from Masterwork in fact. So there's hope, however slim.

Edit: reading through his dev entries, and thinking about how complex the DF internals must be (in terms of code and in terms of system combinatorics), and I'm increasingly very impressed with how much forward progress he can make even in a single day, and how ridiculously time-on-task he seems to be. He may actually be one of the best programmers in gaming?

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jul 18, 2014

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

Toady has explicitly said that he doesn't want content related to sexual slavery or concubines or similar in DF, and that's why it was removed from Masterwork in fact. So there's hope, however slim.

what exactly are night troll wives then

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Excelzior posted:

what exactly are night troll wives then

I have no idea, but "wife" doesn't sound like "slave" to me?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

e: on second thought I can't claim to know for sure Toady's intent with the night troll kidnap+night troll wife transformation, so I'll drop it

Excelzior fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jul 18, 2014

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

scamtank posted:

Hurnk glorf

So that's why all of my dwarves were climbing up and down the side of the volcano I built my fort into. No poo poo it's dangerous terrain. Get the gently caress down from there and get to work!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

subhelios
May 26, 2013

Unfortunately, there is no such game as 'World of Submarines.'
So apparently bogeymen can climb trees. I did not know this when I put my adventurer up in a tree for a little nap
:iit: