Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

13Pandora13 posted:

I could, but I'm not friends with a bunch of Australians who posted that link on FB so...?

it's not my fault you didn't accept my friend request :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I wouldn't wanna be there but I guess its kinda cute from a distance and pizza should be fed to eels instead of consumed by real human beings soooo

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'll just :nms: this for the squeamish Alopecia Nails

people with alopecia areata can have nails that grow in like this. Like tree bark, but your fingernails. About as comfortable as they look. Anything to do with nails being hosed up just sends a chill up my spine. Makes me think of those deformations from people in the USSR I think it was who would grow basically horns instead of nails, and also grow them out of their skin too? weird bony growths. I think it might've been related to chernobyl, possibly?

edit: I should say, I have alopecia nails as well, but nowhere near that bad, and it terrifies me they could turn out that way at some point.

Captain Invictus has a new favorite as of 15:12 on Jan 16, 2019

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Captain Invictus posted:

weird bony growths.

Mods???

Also,

quote:

it: I should say, I have alopecia nails as well, but nowhere near that bad, and it terrifies me they could turn out that way at some point.
Oh God. Does the condition worsen or change over time, or are you worried that it could?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

It’s like a real life wolverine!

Or something

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Right now mine are just pitted. Like if you had raindrops pattering on flat mud, leaving a million little indentations. I smashed my thumbnail recently and now it's got three dark lines that have grown out of the back of the nail, which I'm afraid could eventually lead to those horrible fractured nails.

It also makes them incredibly brittle and I basically have to cut them so no white nail is out because once it grows past where it's directly connected to skin it starts to split in layers, so crud builds up in between the layers and I can't clean it out. It's bad. Also, painful! I can't imagine how much the ones pictured hurt though, christ.

cofaigh
Dec 30, 2006
Ha ha... dangly parts

Captain Invictus posted:

Right now mine are just pitted. Like if you had raindrops pattering on flat mud, leaving a million little indentations. I smashed my thumbnail recently and now it's got three dark lines that have grown out of the back of the nail, which I'm afraid could eventually lead to those horrible fractured nails.

It also makes them incredibly brittle and I basically have to cut them so no white nail is out because once it grows past where it's directly connected to skin it starts to split in layers, so crud builds up in between the layers and I can't clean it out. It's bad. Also, painful! I can't imagine how much the ones pictured hurt though, christ.

I've seen treatments using lacquer on fingernails like that. I don't know if it's regular nail varnish or something specifically medical. The people I've seen with nails like those are some of the most careful people I've met, even putting a hand in a pocket is done delicately.

source: I'm a Medical Photographer so most of my medical knowledge is second-hand but definitely witnessed first-hand.

edit: I didn't say 'hand' enough times.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

It seems like shellac might be useful for that. It's very hard and long-lasting, and you can get it in clearcoat. Also it's made of bug spit which is pretty cool.

Only downside is you really have to resist picking at it or peeling it off because if you peel it off it will take pieces of your nail with it.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

cofaigh posted:

source: I'm a Medical Photographer so most of my medical knowledge is second-hand but definitely witnessed first-hand.

That sounds like a potentially nauseating job.
What's the worst thing you've had to take a picture of?

cofaigh
Dec 30, 2006
Ha ha... dangly parts

AFewBricksShy posted:

That sounds like a potentially nauseating job.
What's the worst thing you've had to take a picture of?
I'm mostly de-sensitised now, a lot of the medical/human things in this thread are more 'interesting' than 'creepy' now.

Off the top of my head; a de-gloved hand, a tooth that had grown sideways and killed several other teeth and a two foot long bezoar made entirely of hair.

Then there is Cri Du Chat syndrome. There are audio clips on Youtube, though it can be more unsettling to hear it in person.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Captain Invictus posted:

Makes me think of those deformations from people in the USSR I think it was who would grow basically horns instead of nails, and also grow them out of their skin too? weird bony growths. I think it might've been related to chernobyl, possibly?

Just guessing, but you're probably thinking of cutaneous horns. They're a type of skin growth that sometimes resemble horns; while radiation can cause them, as can other types of skin damage, I couldn't find any specific mention of Chernobyl exposure having caused them. Physical after-effects of Chernobyl are pretty rare aside the handful of people who died from direct exposure, with everyone else mostly just suffering a vague increased risk of various cancers.

As for the horns, in at least 80% of the usual cases they're mostly harmless and relatively benign, if uncomfortable, and are easy to remove, though the underlying lesion/growth needs to be treated or they'll grow back. The wikipedia article for the condition also offers this fun statement:

quote:

Malignancy is present in up to 20% of cases, with squamous cell carcinoma being the most common type. The incidence of squamous cell carcinoma increases to 37% when the cutaneous horn is present on the penis.[3]

Googling did reveal a couple of those, but I'll neglect sharing them for obvious reasons and simply say that they look extremely goddamned painful.

So without further ado, have some loving skin growths! Yay.

(small amount of blood, they appear to be in the process of being removed)

Other animals can be subject to the condition as well, including cats and dogs.

Finally, it's worth noting that this image collection was cherry-picked for the purposes of this thread. An AWFUL lot of cases just present as scabrous masses or include tumorous growths or coincide with extreme amounts of skin damage. Very few resemble horns in the way people tend to think of that word. Keep the thread title in mind.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://i.imgur.com/pR89i9x.mp4

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I wouldn't wanna be there but I guess its kinda cute from a distance and pizza should be fed to eels instead of consumed by real human beings soooo

PIZZA!
PIZZA IN THE MORNING PIZZA IN THE EVENING PIZZA AT SUPPERTIME,
WHEN PIZZA'S IN A SWARM OF EELS YOU CAN HAVE PIZZA ANYTIME!

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Captain Invictus posted:

Good heavens. I never thought about the layering effect. Does this mean you end up wearing gloves all the time to protect your nails? God knows I would. Is it painful all the time? My sympathies.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Isn’t it possible to get your fingernails removed? Like, for good?

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Ariong posted:

I instantly and vehemently hate you and this post after I image searched this.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I meant surgically but any port in a storm I guess.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

The eels are cute but the pizza getting dissolved in water kinda grosses me out

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

cofaigh posted:

I've seen treatments using lacquer on fingernails like that. I don't know if it's regular nail varnish or something specifically medical. The people I've seen with nails like those are some of the most careful people I've met, even putting a hand in a pocket is done delicately.

edit: I didn't say 'hand' enough times.

Luckily (?) they're so brittle that if I catch part of it on something, it just tears that part off instead of taking a big chunk of the nail with it, so it's usually fairly fixable. I've done varnish before and it helps protect them from impact damage but not really from splitting or whatever.

Slippery posted:

Good heavens. I never thought about the layering effect. Does this mean you end up wearing gloves all the time to protect your nails? God knows I would. Is it painful all the time? My sympathies.
nah, they're relatively intact and I take good care to keep the edges smooth so they don't catch on things. The skin under the nails though get incredibly irritated from the splitting and will hurt for days after cutting the nails close. It's not a constant pain outside of that though.

Ariong posted:

I know this is possible and my friend's mom had her toenails removed due to a genetic defect causing them to grow curved downwards into her toes, incredibly painfully and prone to infection, but I'd never have my fingernails removed unless it was incredibly dangerous to keep them for some reason. Even if they were all jacked up they're so useful for tons of things.

Edit: and thanks for the ID on the horn growths, although it immediately led to an image of a cancerous hole where most of the cartilage of a dude's nose used to be so now my entire head itches and that's seared into my mind forever

Captain Invictus has a new favorite as of 07:22 on Jan 17, 2019

Metal Ray Sunshine
Jun 16, 2009

Muta's Mating Dance Rates a 5 on the Muta Scale

Ariong posted:

Yes, they usually do it if they are growing wrong or are dead in some way. I had a badly ingrown toenail after dropping something on it that basically caused it to die and grow in wrong, so I just opted to have it removed permanently. (Spoilering in case people get squeamish about medical procedures) basically, they gave me two shots into the base of my toe, which was the most painful part, before cutting the nail around the cuticle, tugging it off, then applying acid to the cuticle area so it wouldn't grow back. Had to apply ointment for a but but now the skin has hardened enough to where it doesn't hurt as much anymore

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

What is this animal seen here with cyclopia? A cow? A mule? I've seen the condition in pigs, but this is obviously not one. Poor thing almost definitely is very young and filled with lots of other health problems, and probably didn't live very long. They rarely live past a few months at most. :smith:

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Choco1980 posted:

What is this animal seen here with cyclopia? A cow? A mule? I've seen the condition in pigs, but this is obviously not one. Poor thing almost definitely is very young and filled with lots of other health problems, and probably didn't live very long. They rarely live past a few months at most. :smith:

I think it's a camel?

e: show what I know

gey muckle mowser has a new favorite as of 17:01 on Jan 17, 2019

Qwezz
Dec 19, 2010

I'm feeling some good vibrations!
It's a cow.
And since it's in India people are thinking it's an act of god and started to worship it.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/8139119/deformed-baby-cow-born-with-one-eye-and-no-nose-sparks-a-frenzy-in-india/

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
I used to know a guy who would say of his wife, "I'm gonna hit 'er in the shitter with my one-eyed critter". I never knew it was like this.

https://i.imgur.com/pR89i9x.mp4

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Captain Invictus posted:

nah, they're relatively intact and I take good care to keep the edges smooth so they don't catch on things. The skin under the nails though get incredibly irritated from the splitting and will hurt for days after cutting the nails close. It's not a constant pain outside of that though.

Oh man. I am so sorry - one assumes the Universe gave you a really good benefit to make up for it - like, do you have amazing vision or smell or something at least??

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Minty posted:

Goons afraid of outdoor physical activities.

Haha, I rather like being outside but when I go outside I want to be outside.

Minty
May 3, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Groke posted:

Haha, I rather like being outside but when I go outside I want to be outside.

Thank you for bringing this up again, fellow pedant. There is a reason I chose the word outdoor and not outside. Namaste.

Minty has a new favorite as of 18:56 on Feb 1, 2019

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Captain Invictus posted:

Luckily (?) they're so brittle that if I catch part of it on something, it just tears that part off instead of taking a big chunk of the nail with it, so it's usually fairly fixable. I've done varnish before and it helps protect them from impact damage but not really from splitting or whatever.

I know this is possible and my friend's mom had her toenails removed due to a genetic defect causing them to grow curved downwards into her toes, incredibly painfully and prone to infection, but I'd never have my fingernails removed unless it was incredibly dangerous to keep them for some reason. Even if they were all jacked up they're so useful for tons of things.

Edit: and thanks for the ID on the horn growths, although it immediately led to an image of a cancerous hole where most of the cartilage of a dude's nose used to be so now my entire head itches and that's seared into my mind forever

I have psoriasis pretty bad in the nails, lots of pitting and they're always pulling up and away from the nail bed, so it's a constant low level of pain in my fingers. Ripped one of my big toenails like 2/3rds of the way off while not wearing socks after catching it against the leg of a couch. stood up at a 90 degree angle, blood everywhere, had to tape the nail down so I could get shoes on and hobble to a podiatrist to have it cut out. I wear socks indoors now, lol.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
Re: toenail chat
I pulled a pallet jack backwards into my shoe peeling my big toe nail back and making the entire nail bed one huge blister that drained several ounces of fluid. It never fell off but there's a gap at the back where it connects to the toe and the whole nail is a little... Tomato colored now.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

:nws: due to a mound of very dead wildebeest

Oh hey, this is from the Viking open air museum in Lejre, scared the poo poo out of me when I was on a field trip back when I was 8 or 9.

Winklebottom has a new favorite as of 00:12 on Feb 5, 2019

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I don't know how they pulled that off, but I'm sure Scar had something to do with it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Winklebottom posted:

:nws: due to a mound of very dead wildebeest

Oh hey, this is from the Viking open air museum in Lejre, scared the poo poo out of me when I was on a field trip back when I was 8 or 9.

How long have they been there and why haven't they decayed away yet?

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Arcsquad12 posted:

How long have they been there and why haven't they decayed away yet?

Less than a day: http://www.nhm.ac.uk/visit/wpy/comm...y52-competition

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
https://twitter.com/bekthesmith/status/1091481733927624704?s=20

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/myth_vs_facts/status/1091880707465637888?s=20

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar
Sure it can ... that's just what they want you to think happened here

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/youtubeartifact/status/1100259219754938369?s=20

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvI03w8F5GM&t=54s

Discovered a bit of local history. Watching other videos of Flippo show a fine, charming character, but those black and white shots are ripe for turning into some creepy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frankee
Dec 29, 2017

An Australian childrens tv show called Lift Off thought the best mascot for the show was a faceless mute baby

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lift_Off_(Australian_TV_series)