Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Mrenda posted:

(The competition winning screen/trophy presentation, spoilered in case you want to see it first in your own save.)

drat, that looks Irish.

Also:

Wizard Styles posted:

I want to be the god king of set pieces

Easily my worst center back but he keeps finding his way into the team because that 18 Jumping Reach does so much work. 9 goals in 31 games. :haw:

The board wants entertaining football, but they will learn to love corner kick/penalty hattricks the way I do.

e: my rear end man understands

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Nov 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Took over as Bolton manager and already fuming at the absolute shite the previous manager signed that I now can't get rid of without upsetting the entire team

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Wizard Styles posted:

drat, that looks Irish.

Not with that many fans in the ground...

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Wizard Styles posted:

They definitely last 3 weeks. I just went with that 3 week rotation I outlined because there are three of the light blue sessions to cycle through (Attacking Movement, Defensive Positioning, Teamwork) so that just happened naturally and it keeps all boosts going. The boosts might last even longer but I never tested that because I have never strayed from my setup.

I like to do Match Practice as part of one of my three weeks as an easy way to do both individual and tactical familiarity training. Easy for me, that is, not the players. But that also depends on what I want to train. At Twente right now I have a bunch of good prospects with Natural Fitness of 10 or below so I do Endurance training in 2/3, and since I want to be the god king of set pieces the remaining week has a Resistance session for Balance, Jumping Reach and Strength. No regularly scheduled Match Practice at the moment.

Can't say natural fitness is ever something I've cared about.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

sassassin posted:

Can't say natural fitness is ever something I've cared about.
I usually don't either but I have a fullback with Nat Fitness 6 who can barely get through two matches in a row if they're a week apart. I think once you hit double figures in it it's all good but if it dips too low it starts impacting how you can use a player too much.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
They say there's no such thing as a perfect player, but...

It says left back but he's a left-footed centre half with 18 Determination. Holy grail.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
I should probably spend some time on tactics. Maybe when I decide on a proper, challenging save. At the moment I'm still playing my beta Arsenal save, but being a big Premier league team is too easy. Last season we went unbeaten in the league, hit 100 points and only conceded 7 league goals. I can count on United pushing me until the last few weeks, but it's ultimately become a case of I win, or My world beating attackers can't score a goal between them so I draw 0-0. And I'm still at the start of the 4th season, I haven't even started to see my wonderkid regens break through yet.

To be fair, I did do the one thing Arsenal need to do to win everything. I replaced the entire squad basically. Only Saka is still there.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

sassassin posted:

They say there's no such thing as a perfect player, but...

It says left back but he's a left-footed centre half with 18 Determination. Holy grail.

Isn't Determination a junk stat?

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

Determination, Aggression, Bravery, Work Rate all 18 or higher or you're not getting anywhere near my team of referee worriers

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Eric the Mauve posted:

Until a few years ago it wasn't important imo but then SI bowed to the popular myth and made it a bigger factor in both player development and in-game performance.

It's good to have in team leaders because they will drag poor determination youngsters up (or down) quickly compared to other attributes, and as it's unweighted against CA/PA it's basically a free and very visible upgrade whether its effect is big or small. The other, more significant "free" attributes are hidden, so people don't care half as much.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Masonity posted:

I should probably spend some time on tactics. Maybe when I decide on a proper, challenging save. At the moment I'm still playing my beta Arsenal save, but being a big Premier league team is too easy. Last season we went unbeaten in the league, hit 100 points and only conceded 7 league goals. I can count on United pushing me until the last few weeks, but it's ultimately become a case of I win, or My world beating attackers can't score a goal between them so I draw 0-0. And I'm still at the start of the 4th season, I haven't even started to see my wonderkid regens break through yet.

To be fair, I did do the one thing Arsenal need to do to win everything. I replaced the entire squad basically. Only Saka is still there.

The problem with a Big Team save is you can play the exact same way from the start until you get bored. Need to have promotions and over/underperformance to keep things interesting tactically, with teams responding to your changing reputation.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Eric the Mauve posted:

Even when it was a junk stat, it seemed like you could often use it as a proxy for professionalism because it was rare to have a player with high or low in one of those and not the other. People liked to do experiments of "I set professionalism to 1 and determination to 20 and the player was utter poo poo" but in the actual game no player has professionalism 1 and determination 20.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Playing out my league winning season (I think I still have three games to go before it's fully over) I ended up playing third place in the division above me (that I'll be going to) twice, once in a quarter final and once in a final. We lost 1-0 and 2-1. I don't think my attacking 4-3-3 DM tactic is going to work against better players. I need a re-think, before next season, but I'm hesitant to go 4-4-2 hoofball, especially having to play a tactic dance with whether I use that or my 4-3-3 DM against a team based on their form, league position, home or away, and expected tactic. It seems like a recipe for disaster. All in all I just don't think my players are good enough to compete highly in the Irish Premiership, and this next season will have to be for building for the year after (presuming I get a budget.)

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Mrenda posted:

Playing out my league winning season (I think I still have three games to go before it's fully over) I ended up playing third place in the division above me (that I'll be going to) twice, once in a quarter final and once in a final. We lost 1-0 and 2-1. I don't think my attacking 4-3-3 DM tactic is going to work against better players. I need a re-think, before next season, but I'm hesitant to go 4-4-2 hoofball, especially having to play a tactic dance with whether I use that or my 4-3-3 DM against a team based on their form, league position, home or away, and expected tactic. It seems like a recipe for disaster. All in all I just don't think my players are good enough to compete highly in the Irish Premiership, and this next season will have to be for building for the year after (presuming I get a budget.)

5-3-2

All the cool kids (with bad players) are doing it.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

vyelkin posted:

Even when it was a junk stat, it seemed like you could often use it as a proxy for professionalism because it was rare to have a player with high or low in one of those and not the other. People liked to do experiments of "I set professionalism to 1 and determination to 20 and the player was utter poo poo" but in the actual game no player has professionalism 1 and determination 20.

https://www.reddit.com/r/footballmanagergames/comments/jr60h8/taking_player_development_to_the_next_level_an/

This was a pretty sick breakdown of how these work nowadays, for player development anyway.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

KoldPT posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/footballmanagergames/comments/jr60h8/taking_player_development_to_the_next_level_an/

This was a pretty sick breakdown of how these work nowadays, for player development anyway.

Consistency can change over time (there's literally a scout report line saying if a player needs to work on it) and it tends to be misleading when people do these soak tests on development via the AI, as many of the hidden attributes don't effect development but do indirectly effect selection by the AI (due to form or suspensions), and playing time is the biggest contributor to attribute growth.

A human manager knows that his low pressure wonderkid might put in some bad performances early in his career and won't banish him to the u23s as a result. Right?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Where’s the fun in that? Perform or get the gently caress off my team.

(I’d banish him to a lesser team on loan rather than the U23 squad)

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Eric the Mauve posted:

Where’s the fun in that? Perform or get the gently caress off my team.

(I’d banish him to a lesser team on loan rather than the U23 squad)

I bet you make your players train the day after a bad defeat as well.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Nah, I let them rest while watching video of them humiliating themselves for 12 straight hours.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Bad performances are nothing but an opportunity to fine the players for easy Work Rate increases.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Finished my first season in the Eredivisie in a few FM releases in a relatively comfortable first place. Ajax is very strong, but beating them both times gave me what I needed to stay in first at the end.

The squad was aggressively attacked by Liverpool, Real, PSG, Bayern, etc. at the end of the season, so I had to sell most of my stars like Boadu and resort to my old standby players - got Thiago Almada, Sandro Tonali (for cheap!), Adam Hlozek, Matías Arezo, Armel Bella-Kotchap. It seeems that with the changes to player interaction it's even easier for them to get unsettled!

edit: not sure I like the new interface for interacting with the board though, it seems like a straight downgrade

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
My post-promotion transfer window I've only brought in two new players - a goalkeeper with 16 Free Kicks and a 27 year old who has the media asking if now is the time he finally fulfils his "potential". Both free, both minor upgrades at best.

Where are all the agents pimping their "he would be one of the best players at the club" stars?!?

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
My life changed when I realized that I can't just throw a bottle at the team in general but, by not throwing a bottle during the overall team feedback, at every player individually.

I wonder if that means I just have one or two crates of water and machine gun bottles at my players or if it's the same bottle and I sprint across the dressing room after each throw to pick it up before assaulting the next player that dared be a part of a 0-0 at halftime against Heerenveen.

e:

In my ongoing quest to dethrone Ajax with set pieces I have started to sign young center backs based on a Heading, Jumping Reach and height filter. 190cm at age 15-17 or they're of no use to me.

I just sign them without waiting for scout reports if they're cheap enough, so I will soon have an army of abnormally tall teenagers.

There are more, although I stopped myself eventually to not tank my transfer rating completely.
Most of them won't amount to anything, of course. But there is one that I actually scouted and paid a lot of money for who I suspect may score 10+ goals in a season for me eventually:

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Nov 28, 2020

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Sets up Tactics.

First match team played exactly as I instructed.

Me: oh no I am going to lose my life to this edition.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I have a good 16 year old midfielder who was flying in his development but some idiot in my u19s has played him up front for some matches when I wasn't paying attention and he's hit that familiarity threshold where the CA weightings change and boom, big red down arrows across the board.

I can't remember if familiarity ever drops when they learn this young but hopefully it will as he's now a worse player with effectively less potential as a CB/MC/ST. Maybe if he was tall it'd pay off chucking him up front on special occasions but he's just an average midfielder.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I tyrannically micromanage every game the three actual prospects in my youth squad play, but I've had that happen to guys out on loan (AI managers don't give a poo poo about "Preferred Position" loan clauses) and it's annoying as hell.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

I always thought the youth team stuff was handled at a level of abstraction where it wouldn’t care if your only three prospects were left backs or maybe even keepers, it would just develop them and play them as usual? I guess it’s good if it isn’t tbh

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Your youth manager will play them to death (because the few actual prospects are usually the best players on the youth squad) and get them hosed up with recurring injuries if you don't intervene, in my experience.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Yeah, I always put the youth players I care about into the senior squad straight away so I can put them into mentoring groups but also to keep an eye on their injury risk.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Wizard Styles posted:

Yeah, I always put the youth players I care about into the senior squad straight away so I can put them into mentoring groups but also to keep an eye on their injury risk.

Full time training with the best coaches you have is ideal but sometimes they have great personalities which could go backwards in with your senior mercenaries (wonderkids will usually be Team Leaders within their youth squads and avoid negative gains).

I think by default the game is set to ask you before every game who you want to lend the development sides, and you can control where they play from that screen. But this doesn't help if you don't pay attention. Johan Bakke (who turns out to be the son of the manager I replaced at Sogndal, ex-Leeds player Erik) is doomed to mediocrity as a result.

Retraining all the promising left-footed midfielders into left-backs is good business though and I applaud my u19s manager for starting that process for me.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
tldr: save corrupted, even the "clean" one before the issue becomes noticeable. RIP Norway career.

sassassin fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Nov 30, 2020

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I was chuffed when I received FM2020 free on Epic, and then this thread hots up and it turns that that 20 is shite and 21 is much more promising. This isn't a dig at people in this thread, but part of me looks at last year's game and says "Why bloody bother"?

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
There really isn't much of a reason to play FM20 now, yeah. Free or not. Its match engine was the worst one they put out since I've been playing (17) by a distance. The current one is easily the best. The transfer market is better than it has been in the past as well now.

sassassin posted:

Full time training with the best coaches you have is ideal but sometimes they have great personalities which could go backwards in with your senior mercenaries (wonderkids will usually be Team Leaders within their youth squads and avoid negative gains).

I think by default the game is set to ask you before every game who you want to lend the development sides, and you can control where they play from that screen. But this doesn't help if you don't pay attention. Johan Bakke (who turns out to be the son of the manager I replaced at Sogndal, ex-Leeds player Erik) is doomed to mediocrity as a result.
I generally don't look at what my youth and reserves managers are doing. But if the players are in my squad I'll at least see if they start getting new positional familiarity when I scroll through the individual training screen to give feedback. Which is one bit of micromanagement I do once a month or so since it's just free morale boosts and keeps training ratings up.

On that note:

My reserves manager quite enjoys a wide target man.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

JustJeff88 posted:

I was chuffed when I received FM2020 free on Epic, and then this thread hots up and it turns that that 20 is shite and 21 is much more promising. This isn't a dig at people in this thread, but part of me looks at last year's game and says "Why bloody bother"?

The reason we used to play it is because it was crap but it was the only game in town.

FM seriously needs some decent competition. It hasn't really had one since Ultimate Soccer Manager died.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Wizard Styles posted:

On that note:

My reserves manager quite enjoys a wide target man.

With how many heading opportunities my IF-S was getting at the back post I can see the value.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

RIP Finlay, you tried to squat 700lbs with 8 strength and now you're crippled for life

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Does FM21 model the pandemic at all?

Like, previous FM games have had real-world things like Brexit, and the pandemic is a much larger impactor on the game of football than one island's dumb mistakes have been.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Drone posted:

Does FM21 model the pandemic at all?

Like, previous FM games have had real-world things like Brexit, and the pandemic is a much larger impactor on the game of football than one island's dumb mistakes have been.

Not really. They decided that people have enough pandemic in their lives without it being in their video game too so they didn't include it. They just put in the fixture and money impacts (i.e. later start to first season, English leagues are even more suicide squads than usual with 11 games in 20 days, player prices are tanked, teams have little cash to spend), but the fixtures get back on track season 2 and money slowly recovers back to normal

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

fm wouldn't be able to really do the economic impact correctly anyway its impossible to bankrupt a club and even if your in loads of debt someone buys you out of it eventually. Always been a weak area of fm the modelling of financial ruin of a football club.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

an inbox message informing you that your recently laid-off reserves assistant manager took his own life