Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I was so happy when (late msq) estinien finally joined the nerd club

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

I don't think I'll ever tire of people's "you have a WHAT" reaction when told of the tempering cure.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Bruceski posted:

I don't think I'll ever tire of people's "you have a WHAT" reaction when told of the tempering cure.

The knock-on effects of the Exarch's inability to use summon magic properly just keep paying dividends.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bruceski posted:

I think it's way better WHAT the tempering cure is.

"We can cure tempering!" "How?" "Pig shoots at a laser at you." "... excuse me?" "Pig. It shoots a laser at you."

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

It's a testament to the strength of their writing and presentation that the scene of an ageless, immortal wyrm being freed from shackles both physical and metaphorical isn't dramatically undercut by a flying pig taking center stage.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The best part was Estinien going "If I don't come with you, Krile's just going to find me and bully me."

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

the last nier raid was cool and all but I feel like I understood the story of this raid series even less than the Ivalice one, and I didn't understand that one at all.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It's very much something you gotta be a bit tuned in to Drakenier to fully get, but also in its favor against Ivalice, there is a lot less of it to not get.

I also think the letters will provide a lot of needed exposition.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

They also made the smart decision of having a more down to earth story about the dorfs that's easier to understand mixed in with the weird Nier poo poo.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

SirSamVimes posted:

They also made the smart decision of having a more down to earth story about the dorfs that's easier to understand mixed in with the weird Nier poo poo.

Yeah, while I both did not get and couldn't give a poo poo about the Nier stuff, the dwarf-related story was great and sad.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

the juxtaposition between grounded character-driven moments and bizarre meta-commentary is practically a staple of the drakengard-nier extended universe

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
end of msq: happy to see telegraphs that Krile will be a bigger part of the active scions in 6.0

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

Vermain posted:

It's a testament to the strength of their writing and presentation that the scene of an ageless, immortal wyrm being freed from shackles both physical and metaphorical isn't dramatically undercut by a flying pig taking center stage.

"I'm gonna find a perch for a good jump. If it doesn't work, run."

I don't know what it is about Estinien, I usually find similar characters insufferable but I like him even when he's in Self-Appointed Badass Mode.

Edit: aside from the Dragoon 30-50 quests. That whole thing was about how badass and tragic he was, and it's when he started having folks like Alphinaud to contrast with that I stopped hating him.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Apr 14, 2021

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

Countblanc posted:

end of msq: happy to see telegraphs that Krile will be a bigger part of the active scions in 6.0

I wonder if she'll change to Sage.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Bruceski posted:

I wonder if she'll change to Sage.

I sorta assumed the way she was looking at Alphinaud she was gonna invite him to tag along to clear his head and that was gonna be the explanation for his job change but obviously that didn't happen

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

So uh why did we actually fight Diamond Weapon

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

Chillgamesh posted:

It's berserk, I think. Alfonse's mind doesn't seem very much in control, or terribly able to tell friend from foe, and as far as it knows it's protecting Allie from you.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
It also means that you get to capture it before the Empire does.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

guys

estinien is just so god drat cool

edit: whoops i thought this was the main thread, cause of all the spoiler bars

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Countblanc posted:

I sorta assumed the way she was looking at Alphinaud she was gonna invite him to tag along to clear his head and that was gonna be the explanation for his job change but obviously that didn't happen

Yeah. I was just expecting him to tell Krile to wait, because he was going with.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Bruceski posted:

"I'm gonna find a perch for a good jump. If it doesn't work, run."

I don't know what it is about Estinien, I usually find similar characters insufferable but I like him even when he's in Self-Appointed Badass Mode.

Edit: aside from the Dragoon 30-50 quests. That whole thing was about how badass and tragic he was, and it's when he started having folks like Alphinaud to contrast with that I stopped hating him.

XIV understands that the way to make edgelords likeable is to give them a healthy dose of being a grumpy dork to balance them out. See also: Sidurgu.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

ok can someone who played nier or drakengard explain why the last boss of the raid has trains

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I actually have played Automata and I still don't understand anything that happened in YoRHa: Dark Apocalypse.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Kerrzhe posted:

ok can someone who played nier or drakengard explain why the last boss of the raid has trains

Basically, both androids and machines want to become what they imagine humanity was. All the stuff in NieR: Automata and FFXIV that looks like the ruins of human society is in suspiciously good shape for literally ten thousand year old ruins, and there's a reason for that - they're not human ruins, they're the ruins of machine and android society that were trying to cargo cult their way into being humans. The machines accomplish this by more-or-less 3D printing perfect copies of human cities into existence - that's what the textureless white city was, a new city being made.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It is also kind of a reference to the final boss of Drakengard where a Lovecraftian being transports the main character from the fantasy world the game takes place in to modern day Tokyo, and the aftermath of the sudden introduction of magic into the world is what leads to the events of Nier Replicant/Gestalt and the eventual extinction of humanity.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

Kerrzhe posted:

Back in Drakengard the final boss of Ending E opens up a rift and goes to modern-day Tokyo, with Caim and Angelus following. You then fight a rhythm battle (you may have heard some out of place bells or had other raiders saying "I. Hear. A. Sound") to beat it. Then during your victory lap two fighter jets blow you up.

Basically the whole boss was to trigger PTSD in people who actually played that game.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Bruceski posted:

Back in Drakengard the final boss of Ending E opens up a rift and goes to modern-day Tokyo, with Caim and Angelus following. You then fight a rhythm battle (you may have heard some out of place bells or had other raiders saying "I. Hear. A. Sound") to beat it. Then during your victory lap two fighter jets blow you up.

Basically the whole boss was to trigger PTSD in people who actually played that game.

yeah i knew about all this stuff i just didn't know if there was a reason the boss of the nier raid specifically summoned trains, and had dialogue acting like she was a glitchy train station announcer or something

i never even played those games (just watched videos on youtube) and i'm reading way too much into it lol

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Just read that when the (Drakengard/NieR) Watcher Queen comes through to Earth she arrives at a train station. I thought the last boss was supposed to be Zero from Drakengard 3 but I'm not actually sure? I also read that her hex translates to "Grotesquerie" which is what they called the Watcher manifestations in Drakengard.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

NieR: The final boss is a merger of 2B/Zero and the Queen Beast from Drakengard 1, and I wouldn't ascribe too much importance to 2B being in there besides being the "protagonist" of NieR Automata (oops, that's probably actually 9S but w/e) and as such, being highly recognisable in the face of this, which is a very Replicant/Draken focused raid overall.

As for train stations, they're pretty iconic and identifiably an Earth thing as well. It drives home that you're not above the ruined buildings of Amaurot near The Tempest, you're above the ruined cities of NieR Replicant/Drakengard, where White Chlorination Syndrome started and the Machines are trying/have opened a portal to the Grotesqueries universe and are trying to merge it FFXIV's. The emulating humans thing in Automata plays into the tower itself. Like they're taking the bleached ruins of Tokyo as inspiration for what humanity was.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Chillgamesh posted:

What did you expect us to do, have a diplomatic discussion with the giant robot piloted by the brain of a dead man blindly following what he has decided his orders are?

I'd watch you try doing that, but I don't like your odds.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

also Alfonse being fused into the big silver robot was just one big FMA reference wasn't it

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Kerrzhe posted:

also Alfonse being fused into the big silver robot was just one big FMA reference wasn't it

Also Gundam Blue Destiny (and about a million other Gundam references piled on there for good measure)

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Pyronic posted:

Also Gundam Blue Destiny (and about a million other Gundam references piled on there for good measure)

Actually, my pick for this one was Iron Blooded Orphans. Alphonse is pretty much Ein, and his fighting style and specific derangement is basically a mashup of the Barbatos and the Graze Ein, too.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

I died when Cid declared the name of the G-Fighter + mobile armor as the "G-Savior."

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
So has anyone checked out the "new" 80 SMN job quest? The notes mentioned they changed it, presumably in response to Arenvald getting merked.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
You wait at spots and Arenvald comes running up to you instead of you going to talk to him but doing it in New Game+ the actual content hasn't changed.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
Well, if they didn't bother doing more than that then I guess he'll both survive and also still have the use of his legs in 6.0.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Quests always take place at the point in the story they are released. All the level 80 job quests canonically take place after defeating Emet-selch but before 5.1. I'm not sure why they tweaked the Summoner quest but it never had any bearing on Arenvald's fate either way. Even if he survives and is totally fine, it's not like Fordola's role in that quest would make sense post 5.5 either!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Regy Rusty posted:

Quests always take place at the point in the story they are released. All the level 80 job quests canonically take place after defeating Emet-selch but before 5.1. I'm not sure why they tweaked the Summoner quest but it never had any bearing on Arenvald's fate either way. Even if he survives and is totally fine, it's not like Fordola's role in that quest would make sense post 5.5 either!

Like I've said before, while all content takes place at the point of release, I think they are aware that after release the end-of-expansion range 'flattens out' for a lot of people because they aren't staunchly following release order, so they do have to write while conscious of that. If they knew Arenvald was gonna die, they wouldn't have written him into the 80 SMN quest, because he was very avoidable and wouldn't break story continuity for a player doing it in the 'wrong but all still level 80' order.

Also, what breaks Fordola in that quest? I admit it's been a while, but she starts and ends both it and 5.5 in the same state: on a prison leave program that only permits her killing primals.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Apr 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I may be wrong but I don't think this changed landscape with the summoning towers will permit anything about those scenes to make sense after 5.5. Fordola isn't going to go back to just sitting in her cell because these towers and primals are an ongoing concern. I very much read the summoner quest as a precursor to this patch. Checking in on characters we haven't seen in a while who are about to have a bigger role.

I mean I don't really think Arenvald will die either, but I also don't think they're writing themselves into a corner to have that quest make perfect sense at any point you do it.