Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I meant lump, I am calling a boost to a stat a lump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

RareAcumen posted:

Anyway, have some typos.

That last one isn't necessarily a typo; it's an uncommon turn of phrase but still one that exists. It's a big ol' lump of agility that you wear on your wrist.

e:f;b

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

the dignity of lumps

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Don't lump shame.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Lump sat alone in a buggy marsh, totally motionless except for her heart.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

mud flowed up into lump's pajamas

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
:ughh: Now I have that song stuck in my head.

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Production: Complete
https://youtu.be/DibvoUaZHBY

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Jazzimus Prime posted:

Mission accomplished.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Jazzimus Prime posted:

Jokes on you guys, I've got Gump stuck in my head instead!

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
Sheep of the Orange Fluffiness, I have a PM sent in your direction regarding a potential sidebar in this thread. No particular hurry, but I know that it's not obvious when you've received a message.

Thadius
Apr 2, 2010

ANGER HAS NEVER BEEN MORE MANLY THAN THIS
So I got tempted to play through as well thanks to the fact that you were, OFS, and I just got to the Mole Hole.

Sorry to say this, but if you used Nose for Treasure in there, you would have found that there are four treasures in it.

A stone hardhat (Bleh), a seed of resilience (Meh), a mini medal (Of loving course), and...

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

I knew there probably was one but I have never seen it, so I guess I'll amend that it's too hard to find when everything looks the goddamn same.

Thadius
Apr 2, 2010

ANGER HAS NEVER BEEN MORE MANLY THAN THIS
If it makes you feel better, it was the last thing I found.

Edit: Also! There is a cowpat to be found in the swordsman's labyrinth. Just lying around in one of the rooms. Nose for Treasure really does tell you everything. While you might forget you have it all the time, I never loving will.

Hell, I found a Bronze Shield in the Abandoned Abbey because I went down an alternate pathway.

Thadius fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jun 18, 2017

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
I've heard that stat growths on level-up rubber band in some DQs if you use seeds. Is that the case in this one?

Zinco
Mar 27, 2005

Epicmissingno posted:

I've heard that stat growths on level-up rubber band in some DQs if you use seeds. Is that the case in this one?

From what I remember, technically, yes—if you boost a stat high enough past what it would be at a given level, you'll stop making gains in that stat until you've reached a level where you're under the cap. But I think the cap is pretty high, something like 50 points.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Epicmissingno posted:

Too add to what Zinco said, stat gains on level up are fixed in this game, to the point where I can say with certainty Jessica can cast 24 Kafrizzles on the level she learns it without other boosts to her MP.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Too add to what Zinco said, stat gains on level up are fixed in this game, to the point where I can say with certainty Jessica can cast 24 Kafrizzles on the level she learns it without other boosts to her MP.

huh i never realized that, but then i guess i played the game over ten plus years ago and just never even paid attention to the stats raised at level up

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
I heard a while ago you should use certain weapons when you level up for minmaxing with stats.
So, are you saying that it's completely false?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I recently started a new game and just got to the Hilltop Hut.

On the way to the ship, I got two Rockbomb Shards and three pieces of Rock Salt. Without Steal Sickle.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Forgot about this thread for a while and finally caught up now.

Glazius posted:

I don't know if the old lady is a dying sage bloodline or not but I'm certainly worried that she is. It's certainly an interesting tack to take on the whole seal angle - this irony of people not knowing how important they are.

I feel like she could be another descendant and yeah, worried she'll bite the dust soon.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

In the almost two months since I last posted in this thread, I finished my new playthrough.

I still love this game.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

which will finish first:
this lp or the trump presidency?

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Some Numbers posted:

In the almost two months since I last posted in this thread, I finished my new playthrough.

I still love this game.

I recently beat the 3DS Game. That...was a lot harder than DQIX was.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Silegna posted:

I recently beat the 3DS Game. That...was a lot harder than DQIX was.

The bosses are the highlight of this game to me. That and alchemy letting you get some endgame-level stuff super early.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

ROFL Octopus posted:

The bosses are the highlight of this game to me. That and alchemy letting you get some endgame-level stuff super early.

My wife got through the 3DS version a while back as well. Managed to get to the last of the new post-qame bosses before giving up in frustration. Being out of practice, I gave it a go myself and don't know how the hell anybody could hope to take it down.

As for the LP, I know OFS is busy with the Pokémon Uranium LP right now, so I'm being patient. poo poo takes time; poo poo games take even more time.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Meaty Ore posted:

My wife got through the 3DS version a while back as well. Managed to get to the last of the new post-qame bosses before giving up in frustration. Being out of practice, I gave it a go myself and don't know how the hell anybody could hope to take it down.

The new bonus bosses don't count as far as my "this game's bosses are cool" statement goes. Being level 99 and having the absolute best equipment is like the bare minimum for making it through that gauntlet, so your wife has to be some kind of transcendent god of dragon quest to get as far as she did.

ROFL Octopus fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Sep 19, 2017

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

AriadneThread posted:

which will finish first:
this lp or the trump presidency?

One of the two doesn't have a theoretical upper limit of January 2025.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
This is also assuming Trump's presidency doesn't result in everyone getting nuked. Although I'm sure OFS has some kind of exploit to protect against it. Maybe a certain combination of equipment that has an unexpected bonus of protecting against nuclear war. So at least we know if the rest of us are blown up, OFS will still be here, posting an update every year.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Meaty Ore posted:

I finished my 3DS run too. Even the BS bonus bosses, though they took a bit of doing, a lot of seed farming, and occasionally a guide (seriously, 3 moves per turn, plus the ability to do 700+ damage and drat your defense? You might as well show up stark naked!).

Also, if by "last of the new post-game bosses" you mean Estark: He is, and has been in every appearance he's had as far as I know, vulnerable to Sleep. Thus, this makes him the perfect time to break out those Dream Blades; their ability to inflict Sleep on hit more than makes up for their low attack power for this fight. He can't kill you if he never gets a turn, right? (spoilered just in case, despite being pretty much irrelevant to this LP due to differing versions)

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Some Numbers posted:

I still love this game.

I finished my playthrough too! I stalled out for awhile right before the final dungeon while I got distracted by other things. I finally buckled down and finished.

There were probably a few more things I could have alchemized, but I couldn't be arsed to farm for Orichalcum.

I also didn't bother with any of the post-game stuff. Oh well! Still had a blast. The game was great. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Silver Falcon posted:

There were probably a few more things I could have alchemized, but I couldn't be arsed to farm for Orichalcum.

The game gives you FIVE, how many more do you need?!

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

CptWedgie posted:

I finished my 3DS run too. Even the BS bonus bosses, though they took a bit of doing, a lot of seed farming, and occasionally a guide (seriously, 3 moves per turn, plus the ability to do 700+ damage and drat your defense? You might as well show up stark naked!).

Also, if by "last of the new post-game bosses" you mean Estark: He is, and has been in every appearance he's had as far as I know, vulnerable to Sleep. Thus, this makes him the perfect time to break out those Dream Blades; their ability to inflict Sleep on hit more than makes up for their low attack power for this fight. He can't kill you if he never gets a turn, right? (spoilered just in case, despite being pretty much irrelevant to this LP due to differing versions)

:doh: (about the spoiler) Why didn't I think of that? It's even a plot point!

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Some Numbers posted:

There's more than double that in the 3DS version.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The last bonus boss on the 3DS gets stronger every time you trash him, so I managed to power him past my own skill level.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Some Numbers posted:

Two or three, at least if you want to complete the whole alchemy list.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Some Numbers posted:

I dunno? I thought most of the end-game stuff required them.

I made The Metal King Sword, Armor, Helmet, and Shield. Maybe something else? Or I never found the last Orichalcum. Theoretically you could get the whole party kitted out in that stuff, I guess?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Silver Falcon posted:

Theoretically you could get the whole party kitted out in that stuff, I guess?

Theoretically yes, but you'd need a million rare drops and you get access to enough equipment that's close enough that it's completely unnecessary.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
I'm still stuck on Trap Box In Memoriam. Kafuddle and Kathwack are seriously nasty and combined with the ridiculously high crit rate I have no control over the fight at all. The bosses in that place can be really ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Epicmissingno posted:

I'm still stuck on Trap Box In Memoriam. Kafuddle and Kathwack are seriously nasty and combined with the ridiculously high crit rate I have no control over the fight at all. The bosses in that place can be really ridiculous.

It gets worse. After a certain point all the bosses get 100% crit rates (rendering your defense irrelevant), the power curve is nearly vertical (I had like 400 effective Agility. They still outran me consistently. Also, they can two-shot someone who's hit the cap on HP, and one-shot nearly anyone else; that 700+ damage I mentioned before? Not an exaggeration), and a few flat-out cheat even beyond getting 3 actions per turn (yes, THREE. As in, the bosses are probably gonna be getting more actions than you because half your party's gonna die on the first turn before you can even do anything). For example, Evil Jessica in Memoriam has a 100% accuracy, UNBLOCKABLE ability that confuses all the men in your front line. Yes, this means the only way to not get confused by her is to be Jessica or Red, or for EJiM to not use that attack. As far as I know, this is the only attack in the entire GAME that ignores status immunities..

• Locked thread