Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I was looking at the WDW ticketing page. But it may be they use my ISP to peg me as being in Florida.

Only multi-day pass option I see for non-residents is a 4-day pass.
Just go to Undercover Tourist, it’s legit and you can get a full selection of ticket options without whatever games Disney is playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

CapnAndy posted:

Just go to Undercover Tourist, it’s legit and you can get a full selection of ticket options without whatever games Disney is playing.

On 1 and 2 day tickets, Undercover Tourist costs more. ~$10 or so, but nevertheless.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Aphrodite posted:

On 1 and 2 day tickets, Undercover Tourist costs more. ~$10 or so, but nevertheless.
Yeah, but at least it’ll offer to sell them.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Done a couple of visits here in the UK recently. Did Blackpool Pleasure Beach with my son a few weeks ago. The Big One is a bit rougher than I remember it, albeit my previous ride was almost 25 years ago! It still thrills though, with its height and speed. Infusion has a great layout but the complaints about its restraints are valid and make it unnecessarily uncomfortable. The Grand National was rough as poo poo, and downright unpleasant. Icon was really fun. While not on the same level, it reminded me of VelociCoaster, with its double launch, high hat, lap-bar-assisted hangtime and overall smoothness. Valhalla is easily the wettest water ride I've ever done. I was utterly drenched after one ride. My son loved it and did it two more times in a row. It's a cool park, and small so you can go between rides quite easily, but very far away if you live in the south, and probably doesn't have enough to merit the long drive, when we have Alton Towers and Thorpe Park much closer. Glad I got to ride Icon, though.

Spent a couple of days at Alton Towers last week. My kids are finally both tall enough to ride everything, though Nemesis is closed for refurb, and they both decided Smiler had too many inversions for them to enjoy. Still, I managed to tick the latter off my list finally (desposited them in a cafe while the wife and I rode), and also rode Oblivion for the first time (kids loved it; it's pretty neat but way too short). Wife also thought Smiler had too many inversions and decided she didn't want to ride it a second time, and to be fair 14 is quite a lot - my next most inversions experienced is Incredible Hulk at Universal IoA with half that many - but I thought it was a great ride nonetheless; the loops were pretty varied and the slower ones had some amazing hang time, albeit blunted by the OTS restraints. Though those restraints made the vertical lift hill a bit less intimidating. The one on Rip Ride Rocket is still the scariest thing I've done on a coaster! Rita is fun but short; great launch. Wicker Man is a great woodie, with excellent theming although I'd welcome more intensity. Thirteen is cool, and also well-themed, but once you get over the novelty aspects of it it's also a little tame for my preferences, even though my tolerance for riding loads of coasters in a day is diminishing with age.

Anyway, Alton Towers is still great, albeit exhaustingly huge. By far my family's favourite ride was Galactica. I guess the flying sensation was very novel and wish-fulfilling for my kids. We rode that one quite a lot, and even managed to get in a couple of front-seat riders, which is particularly cool on a flying coaster. Looking forward to checking out the new incarnation of Nemesis next year!

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
Would you all recommend the Disney after hours Halloween party? I'm thinking about it but I'm not really big on the character meet and greets save for a few. Trying to decide by the end of today so that I don't miss out in the event that I decide I'd want to do it

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I go every trip and I'm not into meeting characters at all. I think if you're into the Halloween vibe at all, it's a fun night. Plus the treat stops is fun. You also can get into the park at I think 4pm? if you have a ticket and they start kicking people out. So it's a good way to use your park day on another park and still show up to MK for a much less crowded experience several hours before the party even starts. The fireworks show has always been one of the best too.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Willo567 posted:

Would you all recommend the Disney after hours Halloween party? I'm thinking about it but I'm not really big on the character meet and greets save for a few. Trying to decide by the end of today so that I don't miss out in the event that I decide I'd want to do it

I've only been to one, back in October of 2018. I had a good time, and for the money (I think about 110 dollars after DVC discount), I wasn't mad at the price. It depends on what you want out of the party. If you want to see all the Halloween exclusive stuff, it can make sense. I got a picture with Stitch in his Elvis costume and it was awesome. That took 45 minutes though... The party exclusive snacks were kinda bleh. The parade is cool, and the castle show was cool as well. I don't know if it's still the same, but they did the last castle show at midnight when the party closed so you could watch it before you left and it didn't eat into the event time.

I do not care about all the free candy, I can go to Costco and buy more Candy than I could ever want for like 20 bucks. Waste of time.

I don't think that I would pay the 170 bucks or whatever the going rate is though for the party, but I've been to one before. It's not something I need to do multiple times. It would be like 800 bucks for my family of 4 to go in October.

So yeah, it depends. if you've never gone to one and you're interested in the Halloween exclusive stuff, I would recommend it. Especially if it's replacing a 1 day ticket or so. The extra money can be hard to swallow though if you don't care about the exclusive stuff, and it's in the middle of your trip that you already bought normal park tickets for.

If you only care about reduced wait times for attractions, I don't know if they still do Disney After Hours, but that hard ticket event was worth it at MK. Probably won't see those again until 2024 and all the holiday parties are over.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Willo567 posted:

I did MNSSHP in 2016, 17 x 2 (my heart great dane passed away and 2x disney shot directly into my brain barely kept me from driving into some trees at 80 mph) , 18, and 19. I would love to go again this year if it's possible. The xmas party is nice but MNSSHP is fuckin great and worth every penny you spend. I don't care about characters or candy; I care about chilling on the cool rides and enjoying the little extras they sprinkle in and the Boo to You parade.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Willo567 posted:

Yeah, it's rad. The parade is great, the castle show is neat, the fireworks are neat (but the old ones were better). The wait times on everything they keep open are way down, except for Haunted Mansion because everyone wants to ride it during Spooky Time. I'm not into the character meets or the special food or merch and I still think it's absolutely worth doing.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

I did a MNSSHP (with a 5 year old) the day we got to the parks last year and it was great. I wouldn't want to pay for it on top of the cost of a park ticket for the same day but it was a fun alternative. It was nice being in the park when the sun was down, the lines were pretty minimal (we walked on to Pirates and waited maybe 10-15 minutes for Haunted Mansion; we also looped Peter Pan half a dozen times), and the vibe in general was nice and laid back. Plus going to the party before you have multiple MK days on your trip means you can really just shuffle around doing whatever you want (which is how every day should be but part of my brain fights that).

If you want some candy but don't want to burn a ton of time on it, the allergy-friendly candy is higher quality and at least the night I went they just ended up giving us both a pile of candy at the redemption stand regardless of how many candy tokens we brought. Definitely less candy than you'd get in the normal pile but still more than enough to last your whole trip.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Half the fun of the Halloween party is going in a costume and shooting the poo poo with other guests in costume.

Personally I enjoy Halloween at Disney more than I do Christmas.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I've never done it, but all my friends who have said the Christmas party is pretty dull.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

We really like both parties, but its only 2 of us so the cost isn't as bad. This year we're going to Jollywood too. The fireworks and stage show are better at Xmas imo but we aren't totally Hocus Pocus crazy. Disney is just so much better at Xmas, especially the weather.

edit: the parade is better at halloween, meant the fireworks

alg fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Aug 8, 2023

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Aphrodite posted:

I've never done it, but all my friends who have said the Christmas party is pretty dull.

It's fine I guess but it feels like a desperate adaptation of the Halloween party. Instead of going around getting candy you get really lovely cookies and hot chocolate. The parade and firework show exist but lack any sort of charm. The only cool part is space mountain which is filled with red and green strobe lights and buttrock remixes of classic Christmas tunes. If for nothing else, it's worth it because the park's empty but the entire thing feels like they took everything cool about the Halloween party and just attempted to re-adapt it for the holidays with mixed results.

Comparing the two gives off the feeling that Halloween is the perfect holiday for a theme park while they struggled with ideas to give the same treatment to Christmas.

e: I will say that the holiday season is still worth it in Disney because their theming is always absolutely spot on (and the weather is perfect), and if you're there already there's no reason to not do it. That's the main reason we keep doing the Christmas party despite preferring Halloween, our trips usually end up being December/early January due to our jobs.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Aug 8, 2023

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Renegret posted:

It's fine I guess but it feels like a desperate adaptation of the Halloween party. Instead of going around getting candy you get really lovely cookies and hot chocolate. The parade and firework show exist but lack any sort of charm. The only cool part is space mountain which is filled with red and green strobe lights and buttrock remixes of classic Christmas tunes. If for nothing else, it's worth it because the park's empty but the entire thing feels like they took everything cool about the Halloween party and just attempted to re-adapt it for the holidays with mixed results.

Comparing the two gives off the feeling that Halloween is the perfect holiday for a theme park while they struggled with ideas to give the same treatment to Christmas.

e: I will say that the holiday season is still worth it in Disney because their theming is always absolutely spot on (and the weather is perfect), and if you're there already there's no reason to not do it. That's the main reason we keep doing the Christmas party despite preferring Halloween, our trips usually end up being December/early January due to our jobs.

Clarabelle Cow as Mariah Carey is so much better than anything in the Halloween show or fireworks :colbert:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I guess because Disney parties are all the same, the missing element of many guests being all dressed up makes the real difference.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Epcot is much better with Holidays Around The World and you don't need to pay for a seperate party.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

I was exhausted last year between dog show mornings and late as gently caress park fun so the xmas party is just one big blur of taking pictures of my SD in front of xmas trees and pounding the gently caress out of every hot chocolate in the world behind columbia harbor house like I was dying. but joke's on me because that was like 10 days later :lol:

the xmas party is generally fine. it's pretty. it's quiet. it's simple. it just doesn't pull out the party fun vibes like MNSSHP does.

Zero One posted:

Epcot is much better with Holidays Around The World and you don't need to pay for a seperate party.

I don't love Epcot during the holidays. I honestly think that Animal Kingdom is my favorite park during the winter holidays. The decorations are a lot more subtle and I'm still waiting for them to figure out how to shoehorn it into Pandora. And the Echo Lake decorations are nice at Hollywood Studios.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

you have gotta share pics of service dog with xmas trees. don't do that to us!!!!

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I'm excited to finally dress as a Gizmotic Institute employee and go to Disney for Halloween

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I wish holiday Epcot had more than desserts as the event foods.

Bring in KFC for Japan you cowards.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Renegret posted:

Half the fun of the Halloween party is going in a costume and shooting the poo poo with other guests in costume.
Oh, definitely. Me and my brother were waiting for the parade/fireworks right next to a couple dressed in absolutely spot-on Flynn and Rapunzel costumes, they were great to chat with.

During the parade, the dance coreography meant that Aladdin and Jasmine were on our side instead of Flynn and Rapunzel, and they clearly saw the couple and reacted to their costumes because you could see them trying as hard as they could, while keeping to the coreography, to get Flynn and Rapunzel to look over our way. Didn't work, but still a super fun moment.

Aphrodite posted:

Strong agree, with the caveat that I'm Jewish. I don't have any nostalgia for Christmas stuff and all the holiday means for me is trees, driving by houses that have lights up, and everything being loving closed, but I definitely found the party duller than Halloween the year I did it out of curiosity. (Honestly, the entire "being there at Christmastime" experience was so strangely anthropological, I could feel everything reaching into me and trying to speak to a cultural framework that I just did not have.)

Zero One posted:

Food and Wine is the OG for a reason.

Fall is definitely the best time to go, in my opinion. Weather's as nice as you can get it to be, crowds are thin, and you've got access to both Food and Wine and MNSSHP.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

October is 100% still hell on earth weather down there

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

alg posted:

October really is not bad, it just feels like regular summertime in places that aren’t Florida.

It’s July and August where you’d have to pay me to go anywhere near Florida, and it would have to be a remarkable amount of money.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
We just got back from a mid-july trip and, can confirm, it's loving hell on earth down there. We did use it as an excuse to go to Typhoon Lagoon which was really great but you know something's wrong with the weather when you're at a water park, completely submerged in water, and still overheating.

If I was able to travel light and focus on myself I think it would've been more manageable, but instead I had a pregnant wife and a 4 year old with a giant rear end heavy stroller and bags to worry about which is what pushed me over the edge. The one plus is that the parks were actually the emptiest I've ever seen. I thought July would be peak, but instead nobody was in the parks because of the unbearable heat and we had fairly minimal wait times.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

alg posted:

Well, yeah. It's Florida. Florida is hell.

But you don't have the insane heat of the summer, the surprisingly chilly nights of winter, and the monsoon rains and humidity of spring. Worst you have to deal with is a comparitively low risk of hurricanes, and the unavoidable torrential rainstorms are comparatively infrequent and quick.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Here in Montreal we get the same kind of peak weather Florida gets, except we get it like one or two days a year instead of for several months straight.

So I can handle it for a day, I'd just never go for a dedicated multiple day in a row Disney vacation. Indoor stuff in between for me, thanks.

By September though? Totally fine.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
I mean, most of North America sees that kind of weather at some point during the year.

It’s just that Florida sees it for months on end with no relief in sight.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I went to Universal in October and it was still hellishly hot every day

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

We went over Veterans Day weekend one year and it was still 100 degrees.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I have no idea what to expect from Florida heat having experienced twenty years of Vegas summers.

On one hand, the words "but it's a dry heat" are almost a meme meant to spark shouty protests about how it doesn't matter because it's 115. On the other hand, I've also been told that my experience with such highs does nothing to prepare me for 90 in Central Florida humid because we have a piddling dry heat.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Craptacular! posted:

I have no idea what to expect from Florida heat having experienced twenty years of Vegas summers.

On one hand, the words "but it's a dry heat" are almost a meme meant to spark shouty protests about how it doesn't matter because it's 115. On the other hand, I've also been told that my experience with such highs does nothing to prepare me for 90 in Central Florida humid because we have a piddling dry heat.
Yeah, it's way worse. Dry heat lets your sweat evaporate, which is what actually cools you. Florida's hellscape humidity traps you in soggy misery, because the air is so saturated with moisture already that evaporation is slow and difficult.

Bring a water bottle. Keep it filled at all times. Also, prepare to enjoy the unique taste of Florida tap water. Florida: Taste The Swamp!

alg
Mar 14, 2007

we went Oct 8-21 of 2017 and it was hell. highs in the high 80s low 90s, extreme humidity, horrible sun. that trip was the first trip I used the pool

January was our best trip ever for weather, but December is more tolerable than October

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I have a mini fridge filled with large glass bottles of water as close to freezing as possible and they are my best friend

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Craptacular! posted:

Here’s what you’re not prepared for: it will be hot as hell till early-mid afternoon, making every solid heat sink (concrete, steel, blacktop, landscaping rocks) completely heat soaked. Then it will pour rain for anywhere from fifteen minutes to over an hour. Then the sun will come back out and proceed to evaporate the water on the ground and in the lakes first and out of your soaking wet shirt second, because you will seek shade at every opportunity which cools you off but also stops the evaporative process.

You will see steam coming off the sidewalks and roads.

Rinse in water ride, repeat.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Your body will be pouring sweat nonstop every single second you are not in air conditioning. Every article of clothing you have on will be wet all day.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

RCarr posted:

Your body will be pouring sweat nonstop every single second you are not in air conditioning. Every article of clothing you have on will be wet all day.

Just spend your summer vacation at one of Florida's many nude resorts or beaches.

Problem solved.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Then comes the chafing.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
But hey! You can always go in January, when it’s only too warm to wear a sweatshirt during the day but you better believe your rear end is gonna want one an hour after the sun goes down. Have fun hauling that around all day if you don’t wanna pay for a locker or go back to your hotel room before the fireworks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I've only been during February and I do indeed own a Disney World sweater because of a surprise chill. But I grew up complaining that northwest weather was too warm and how I'd like to live in Chicago or someplace where it's still snowing in May. And that's probably because that's the only weather I'm really not experienced in.

What people were saying about the concrete and blacktops all becoming heat absorbers, used to that in Vegas. We don't get the rain to bring it down, though, so it's still 92 and the roads are radiating heat at 2AM.