Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Trabant posted:

I just bought a 1/6 scale John McClane's head:

It's missing a flared base. Safety first!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
One hell of a paint job on that.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
I have a scale model of Hans Gruber’s head for sale but it’s 1/8 scale so I doubt you’re interested.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Trabant posted:

Are you slowly buying the rest of the body parts over the next several years?

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Trabant posted:

That's gonna be a POWERFUL voodoo doll someday.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Get a 1/6 scale Cybill Shepherd head and make them kiss

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Get a 1/6 scale Cybill Shepherd head and make them kiss

A whole new fan fic just sprung up somewhere on the net

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Can anyone recommend a DNA testing kit? I mainly want to know if I’m 100% East Asian or like 1/16 European. I don’t think I’ll get much in the way of genealogy since they kept poor records in my place of birth.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Why do you want the chinese to be able to clone you and harvest your organs

mystes
May 31, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

Why do you want the chinese to be able to clone you and harvest your organs
China hardly needs to surreptitiously clone people in order to get organs to harvest.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

couldcareless posted:

Are you slowly buying the rest of the body parts over the next several years?

Not quite (although I'm considering that for putting together the final showdown from The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly).

But if I can pull it off, this one will be cast in clear resin and turned into a sphere as a Christmas ornament.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Aw, I was actually expecting you to build a 1/6 Bruce Willis. Maybe dressed as John McClain from Die Hard or Walter Davis from Blind Date

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I'm going to be honest, I don't really trust those DNA kits that you mail in because DNA sequencing is really expensive/time consuming and the fact they only charge you like $50 for it means they get money by just straight-up selling your DNA information to every single insurance company.

So then they can claim everything is a pre-existing condition because they have your DNA that shows you're predisposed to whatever in your family.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Just do what I did & have your sibling do the DNA test. Now I know there's a genetic disposition for addiction that runs in the family!

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Android Apocalypse posted:

Just do what I did & have your sibling do the DNA test. Now I know there's a genetic disposition for addiction that runs in the family!

You're adopted.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Trabant posted:

But if I can pull it off, this one will be cast in clear resin and turned into a sphere as a Christmas ornament.

This is more amazing than anything I could have come up with.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
My parents joked that I was a blue light special purchase from K-Mart when I asked where babies came from. :classiclol:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Aramek posted:

I'm going to be honest, I don't really trust those DNA kits that you mail in because DNA sequencing is really expensive/time consuming and the fact they only charge you like $50 for it means they get money by just straight-up selling your DNA information to every single insurance company.

So then they can claim everything is a pre-existing condition because they have your DNA that shows you're predisposed to whatever in your family.

And if one of your family members is a serial killer you could wind up being a snitch. Don't snitch on your family.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Tickets to this in Boston. I've stayed clear of concerts for a few years because I'm losing my hearing for a variety of reasons (largely due to dozens of these concerts) but House of Blues Boston is probably the sickest venue in New England and this will be a nice throwback double header. I guess I should also research concert earplugs..

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Aramek posted:

Yeah there were some triplets recently that all sent their DNA in independently and each of them came back with different ancestry percentages.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Aw, I was actually expecting you to build a 1/6 Bruce Willis. Maybe dressed as John McClain from Die Hard or Walter Davis from Blind Date

I only discovered these 1/6 figurines (?) a few days ago via the AliExpress thread and it turns out they can get expensive in a hurry. I'm mostly just messing around.

But yeah, that's certainly a thing people do. It looks like there's a range of bodies to choose from but they're nowhere near as customized as the heads. I think you either end up with weird proportions (see skinny McClane below) or spending many, many hours sculpting:

couldcareless posted:

This is more amazing than anything I could have come up with.

:tipshat:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Aramek posted:

DNA sequencing got cheaper twice as fast as Moore's law between 2005 and 2015, it's all cheap as hell now. Obviously not as society changing as computers getting cheap, but you're in the position of the 1980s person looking at a year 2000 computer

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Solice Kirsk posted:

There's a good chance the arms are going to come already welded to the seat.

They were separate parts so I could leave the right arm off.

I also didn't know that extending the seat back all the way up is intended to reset it. I would traverse it through the ratchet and it would drop free, I thought it was broken. After filing an RMA and leaving a bad review, I found out that you're supposed to leave it in the ratcheting zone and extending it past that zone is to let you start over.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Bought a used Patagonia heavyweight Synchilla Snap-T for $40. More than I usually spend but it’s supposed to be cozy as gently caress and retails for like 4 times the price

I also bought a stun gun while it’s legal in NY, though I had to go to Connecticut for it

beanieson posted:

I have a scale model of Hans Gruber’s head for sale but it’s 1/8 scale so I doubt you’re interested.

Can’t wait for the sequel to Bigger Luke, Smaller Hans

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Coffee And Pie posted:

I also bought a stun gun while it’s legal in NY, though I had to go to Connecticut for it

Why get a stun gun when New York made nunchaku legal again?

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Why get a stun gun when New York made nunchaku legal again?

I’ve already got a pair of those.

The ultimate is, of course, electric nunchucks.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Coffee And Pie posted:

I’ve already got a pair of those.

The ultimate is, of course, electric nunchucks.

or as I like to call them, stunchucks.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Tim Whatley posted:

Tickets to this in Boston. I've stayed clear of concerts for a few years because I'm losing my hearing for a variety of reasons (largely due to dozens of these concerts) but House of Blues Boston is probably the sickest venue in New England and this will be a nice throwback double header. I guess I should also research concert earplugs..

I've been using Flare Audio Isolate ear plugs for the last couple of years whenever I go to a gig or club and they work great and are super comfortable.

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019

My parents joked that I was a blue light special purchase from K-Mart when I asked where babies came from. :classiclol:

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I was told I came from Kroger. Like, not even a department store. Apparently there were special bags of tea you could soak in a pot to make a baby.

I mean at least this was before Coinstar machines were a thing.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

TotalLossBrain posted:

or as I like to call them, stunchucks.

:hai:

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Tim Whatley posted:

I have a pair from Eargasm and also a pair from Etymotic. Both work great and still maintain enough quality and volume to be enjoyable without causing damage. I do concert photography so I'm often standing directly in front of speakers.

Also, I definitely want to shoot that tour.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Pastry of the Year posted:

I was told I came from Kroger. Like, not even a department store. Apparently there were special bags of tea you could soak in a pot to make a baby.

I mean at least this was before Coinstar machines were a thing.

I was told I'm Chinese because "every fourth child born is Chinese".

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

Jerry Cotton posted:

I was told I'm Chinese because "every fourth child born is Chinese".

I'm told that in China the rate is even higher.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Skrill.exe posted:

I'm told that in China the rate is even higher.

Well back then it wasn't.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Trabant posted:

Looks like he won’t be attending that hat convention in July!

Brother Tadger has a new favorite as of 21:00 on Nov 8, 2019

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Various Walmarts in the US are accidentally putting the Arcade 1up Street Fighter cabs on clearance for $70 bucks and I got one, and then like another $200 on parts as I'm gutting and drilling this thing to death. You can do it with basically any of these machines but the SF cab already has plenty of buttons so I won't need to drill too much. Always said when I bought a house I'd get my own Simpsons machine and it turns out it's super easy to shove Rasp Pi in these things. Gonna be a fun little weekend project.

Bunch more other parts and wires.

There's a guy online that cuts basically any arcade cabinet vector into precut sizes for these machines and this turned out to be the most expensive part lol.

Final product will hopefully look something like this

Using this tutorial: https://youtu.be/09DQCOr6zQM

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Tim Whatley posted:

Various Walmarts in the US are accidentally putting the Arcade 1up Street Fighter cabs on clearance for $70 bucks and I got one, and then like another $200 on parts as I'm gutting and drilling this thing to death. You can do it with basically any of these machines but the SF cab already has plenty of buttons so I won't need to drill too much. Always said when I bought a house I'd get my own Simpsons machine and it turns out it's super easy to shove Rasp Pi in these things. Gonna be a fun little weekend project.

There's a guy online that cuts basically any arcade cabinet vector into precut sizes for these machines and this turned out to be the most expensive part lol.

The Mortal Kombat + MK2 + Ultimate MK3 one is a SERIOUSLY tempting purchase; im about to have a kid and our spare room is going to be the nursery so I PROBABLY shouldn't put it there or my wife would kill me, but on the other hand.....

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Tim Whatley posted:

I wasted so much money on this game, ninja turtles, and double dragon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Tim Whatley posted:

ownnnns