Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

The Berzerker posted:

oh and I got my 30 swordgrass the other day by farming the 3 ghru at the Farron Keep bonfire, but I wore the covenant item while doing it and had about 8 summons over the however many hours it took. Still have never, ever been summoned as a blue. I am assuming I will be farming ears for ages when I get this character to AL

I did the same to get the grass but at the perimeter bonfire, I had one summon in the whole time and it aborted due to timing out. I am currently doing ears, with 15/30, it is taking a ridiculous amount of time - does anyone know if it is only the anor londo knights or do the ones in the aldrich area drop them too?

Also I read a suggestion on one of the wikis that changing your armour each time you get one helps improve the chances and while rationally I know that is almost certainly utter bullshit I'm stupid/desperate enough to do it each time just in case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I started a new game with a new account and new save because I figure it will be easier to 100% everything with covenants if I'm not banned. At level 27 with a +4 weapon, all I ever invade into is 4 man gank squads where everyone is one-handing smough hammers and tower shields, swinging them non stop.

And I'M the one who gets banned. gently caress From.

*EDIT*
Finally won my invasion the only way I've ever won invasions: by the host dying before I even warp in so I get my item and leave before I can even do anything.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Gus Hobbleton posted:

And I'M the one who gets banned. gently caress From.

The rate of softbans is slower too.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

How do people get banned from Dark Souls and what does it do? Just make it so you can't summon/invade?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I bought PS4 over PC because I wanted the CE, but otherwise fully intended on making the PC version my go-to eventually. With the rampant hacking and softbanning though I may never touch it. 60fps isn't worth playing with hackers. I had enough of that poo poo in DS1.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Manatee Cannon posted:

I want a dragon version of beast's embrace real bad

I feel vindicated that I am not alone in my desire for this. I always thought the Dark Souls dragons were particularly cool, so it's a shame that everything involved in being a dragaboo was basically a exercise in kneecapping yourself. It was at its least awful in DS2 where at least it was servicable armor aside from the weird complete lack of poise, but it WAS pretty light as well, so...

Then they introduce this idea that'd be perfect for dragon themed stuff with the Beast's Embrace and then... don't use it when DS3 rolls around.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Deified Data posted:

I bought PS4 over PC because I wanted the CE, but otherwise fully intended on making the PC version my go-to eventually. With the rampant hacking and softbanning though I may never touch it. 60fps isn't worth playing with hackers. I had enough of that poo poo in DS1.

I've been playing since release and pvp a bit and have only come across two hackers.

One was on a ladder and never died after I kept kicking him down. Black crystaled out. Another one has infinite poise and I could never stagger him with the BKS. (no he wasnt using Preseverance)

Neither were game ruining. Maybe it will become more prevalent as the player pool thins out.

Most annoying thing to me in DS3 is when my summoned helpers keep getting locked out of boss fights

Willfrey fucked around with this message at 23:51 on May 23, 2016

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

NESguerilla posted:

How do people get banned from Dark Souls and what does it do? Just make it so you can't summon/invade?

It throws you in a server with other softbanned dudes. Much smaller and shittier pool of multiplayer players.

I am pretty sure people who pull the chord or quit out when invaded get put there also. gently caress em

At least that is what I heard, its all goonsay

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Gus Hobbleton posted:

At level 27 with a +4 weapon, all I ever invade into is 4 man gank squads

I'm on PS4 and not dealing with hackers like you are obviously, but I found that keeping my weapon upgrade lower helped put me in against people who weren't super pros with full crews. I was invading swamp/cathedral at level 30-35 with a +3 weapon and it was better. People who go to the crow early for a large shard and maybe arrow the Lothric dragon for another one, those people know what they're doing.

I will have to get 30 ears and 10 dregs, but I heard that the drop rate on dregs isn't bad. If I managed to get through 30 swordgrass I don't think the dregs will be too bad.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
Is hacking really all that prevalent? I don't think I've seen any even after like 140+ hours.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Really, I've only ever seen two hackers period. The most recent ones might not even have been hacking, they might just have some crazy gimmicky build where they have 2 hp but can swing smough hammers and I invaded into people at the very very edge of my invasion range. The first one, obviously, was the hacker who got me banned.

As for what banning does, it just puts you into a special multiplayer pool where all the banned people go. At this rate it will probably have more players (and more non-hacking players) in it than the normal pool.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
I once thought a guy was hacking but realised afterwards that he just hadn't started the boss fight and that was how he was sniping us through the fog door. Also the fact all the anor londo player-ghosts I see nowadays seem to be wearing the symbol of avarice makes me smile.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Puntification posted:

Is hacking really all that prevalent? I don't think I've seen any even after like 140+ hours.

I'm at 60 total hours, and I have done a fair bit of pvp. I have seen two that were almost certainly hacked, and a couple that I suspect might have been. So call it about 2.5 out of at least 80 encounters?

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
I've run into one floating rapidfire Avelyn dude. The rest were boring people with hacked stats that would have like 1900 HP as an invader while taking 100 damage from a 400 AR weapon and doing 500 per swing.

Depending on how good they are at detecting it, there might be a lot of people cheating just to get a slight advantage that'd be almost impossible to tell.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
So after marrying Anri can I heal the Dark Sigil or will this lock me out of the ending??

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

heard the walls are paper thin from where you are to where I am

MZ posted:

So after marrying Anri can I heal the Dark Sigil or will this lock me out of the ending??

I think healing your sigil at any point will piss off pointy-chin.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Immolation Tinder on my sorc made me start liking fight clubs. Highly recommended for INT havers

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Having played with flame surge a fair bit on my new pyro build, I can safely say the idea of killing someone with it from half health is hilariously silly.

Its hard to avoid it but the damage isn't gonna be anywhere near enough to finish someone off from half before the lloyd's wears off. All you'd really accomplish is so more chip damage. Which is better than nothing but its not a solution to someone just spamming roll, waiting for a talisman to wear off and a summon to come in.

EDIT: Trust me, I'm an expert.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 02:31 on May 24, 2016

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
I really miss the channeler's trident for it's funky dance moves.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I seriously hope when the DLC comes out we get a dance emote.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Puntification posted:

I've seen them a lot more at lower levels, where you get people in full smough gear and/or Newgame+ only weapons medium rolling and dunking on everything.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Night Blade posted:

I've seen them a lot more at lower levels, where you get people in full smough gear and/or Newgame+ only weapons medium rolling and dunking on everything.

Were they invaders? Or password Co-Op Phantoms? Password Co-Ops can scale down to keep all their toys and mid rolls while loudly proclaiming "No see, because of the scaling that means I'm complete trash while twink invaders who have to make actual concessions to wield their dragonslayer axe two handed are cheating :pseudo:"

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Gologle posted:

I seriously hope when the DLC comes out we get a dance emote.

Or a shrug? I mean what the hell.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Does fire defense matter at all against the boreal dancer? Seems no matter what I'm wearing she does half my health with every major blow.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Alteisen posted:

Does fire defense matter at all against the boreal dancer? Seems no matter what I'm wearing she does half my health with every major blow.

It helps, but considering the fire is attached to sharp objects fire defense won't be as notable if you are wearing fire resistant rags (or have skimped on your HP).

A lot is said about how defenses don't matter, but I've found trying to hover around the 20's has kept me in the "I'm only ALMOST dead!" when I botch things compared to when I took "Pfft, all that matters is that I'm wearing at least literally anything!" to heart.

As much as bringing a lothric shield to give me a safety buffer on my dodges helped (It's not even one of the better fire resist shields, but still nice), I owe my success more to wild paranoia letting me dodge well ahead of when they went full blender frenzy to compensate for my bad dodge timing and flamberge attack speed.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:00 on May 24, 2016

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yea I have like 1,500 hp with an ember that's not an issue, she's smashing my HP real hard, barely damaging her either not sure if I should be using a specific weapon, doing like 160 with every blow which feels pretty low.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Alteisen posted:

Yea I have like 1,500 hp with an ember that's not an issue, she's smashing my HP real hard, barely damaging her either not sure if I should be using a specific weapon, doing like 160 with every blow which feels pretty low.

I basically took my sweet loving time with her and played it super safe with a +6 Raw flamberge at the time. I'd hit her once, sometimes twice, 3 if I was feeling frisky (though I often paid for it), then just wildly run away and repeat the process. I would not be surprised if luck played a part where I'd always be so far from her preemptively when she started the rapid blender that I could reapply carthus with zero risk.

Try some experimental attempts where you try to get a feel for safe windows to hit and run. Or root through your options to see what the biggest weapon you can swing at least 4 times is (Horizontall helps with their bendy doll limbs. I don't think I ever touched my R2 attack for Dancer). Not so you CAN swing it 4 times in a row, but so you'll have a better pool of stamina to attack between multiple dodges and emergency blocks. Bringing an UGS or Great Axe if you don't have the high stamina for it can just get you killed after swinging it once or twice barely leaves you room to dodge.

I'd also generally be more Ashen estus happy during levels themselves, so if I was having trouble I'd swing by Andre to knock myself down to one or two ashens instead of my usual 4. Don't be too proud to heal up at 3/4 health if you have the opening.

On that note, Consumed King was basically me gradually jousting him to death once he hit his second phase after I learned the worst part of that fight are his wacky bullshit hitboxes. Make him charge me from a distance, hack in the back of the legs once or twice, back off to do it again between whatever hits felt super safe.

Not the most pro approach, but it got the job done for me.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:14 on May 24, 2016

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Section Z posted:

Were they invaders? Or password Co-Op Phantoms? Password Co-Ops can scale down to keep all their toys and mid rolls while loudly proclaiming "No see, because of the scaling that means I'm complete trash while twink invaders who have to make actual concessions to wield their dragonslayer axe two handed are cheating :pseudo:"

Early game I just see a lot of people either invading, or helping a host with impossible gear setups. MOST of them are non passworded.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I still can't wrap my head around the dancer fight, I always have to cheese her with arrows in her second phase. Her moves are just way, way too unpredictable for me

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I still havent gotten past the Dancer. After the second night in a row of failing to beat her I just gave up and rolled a new character to mess with.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...
Watch this and wallow in your inadequacy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gT_XxDsW_-0

Bleed is really pretty effective against the dancer.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

TheWyrmDude posted:

Maybe Yuria mask, black gauntlets, dancer chest, Lorian legs?

Black gauntlets? And yuria didn't show up in my game.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

lite_sleepr posted:

Black gauntlets? And yuria didn't show up in my game.

The Black set is Yuria's set, so that one is also from her. You'll have to take Yoel up on his rad free levels deal on NG+ and then promptly murder Yuria for her clothes (maybe hold off until you've recruited Orbeck, talked to Yuria, and then murdered Orbeck for a sword. Also until you get the gesture off the pale shade. After that and buying the rings/dark hand off her, she has nothing more to offer you, unless you care about the ending for achievements or something).

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

flowinprose posted:

Watch this and wallow in your inadequacy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gT_XxDsW_-0

Bleed is really pretty effective against the dancer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WagY0KJ7dc

Yeah this boss is pretty hard

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Question anyone else a PC owner that had problems with Random Crashes.

Cause I am having that problem. If I start the game it will frequently crash at start up (Appearntly the White Screen at the start is a bad sign) It can get past the start up and logo's but it will ether crash at the main menu or Crash during the intro cut scene or Character creation if I skip it.

Any ideas?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Hypha posted:

It is weird and probably just dumb luck but I never got summoned either as a blue till I started just switching covenants between the blue sentinels and darkmoon. It also seems to be location based. Me hiding out in the archdragon's peak gets me counter invasions in the same place.

Went from 6 to 20 ears just farming things and switching up my covenant every few minutes. A few minutes after every switch I might get a bit. Pray that there are two reds to kill at every encounter and the host doesn't die.

I wonder if it's similar to the PS4's downloading (e.g. pause a download and then restart it to get a better download server) and each time you equip the covenant you're matched up with different servers?

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

Question anyone else a PC owner that had problems with Random Crashes.

Cause I am having that problem. If I start the game it will frequently crash at start up (Appearntly the White Screen at the start is a bad sign) It can get past the start up and logo's but it will ether crash at the main menu or Crash during the intro cut scene or Character creation if I skip it.

Any ideas?

Video card problem, maybe? I had that issue when I got the game because I was using a 10 year old clunker of a card, and had to order an upgrade. I still get the white screen at the start, but after a few seconds it transitions to the logos and menu and everything works fine afterward.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Cyberventurer posted:

Video card problem, maybe? I had that issue when I got the game because I was using a 10 year old clunker of a card, and had to order an upgrade. I still get the white screen at the start, but after a few seconds it transitions to the logos and menu and everything works fine afterward.

My Card is about a year and half. But it can run lots of other games just fine.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Funny, but I wonder what you would do with him.

I began New Game, but I'm only finding duplicates of all the items. I had 20k souls, so I bought the tower key right away thinking I could get an Estus Ring +2. Nope. Everything is still +1. Aren't I supposed to find +2 stuff now?

Obligatum VII posted:

The Black set is Yuria's set, so that one is also from her. You'll have to take Yoel up on his rad free levels deal on NG+ and then promptly murder Yuria for her clothes (maybe hold off until you've recruited Orbeck, talked to Yuria, and then murdered Orbeck for a sword. Also until you get the gesture off the pale shade. After that and buying the rings/dark hand off her, she has nothing more to offer you, unless you care about the ending for achievements or something).

Yuria is supposed to be my hot n' hollowed Londorian sugar mama, I couldn't dream of killing her while chasing the Lord of Hollows non-linking finish!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
There isn't an estus ring+2, and +whatever rings aren't located in the same places as their basic versions.