Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

looks lovely and boring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
lol @ me for showing my boss something on my browser while "gently caress You and Die" was one of the tabs in my browser, i wonder if he noticed

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Sagebrush posted:

i walked like 5 miles on the great wall of china to get to a place where there were no tourists at all in the frame of my photos

My hosts took me around 40 miles outside of Beijing then paid a local villager to take us through a checkpoint as his 'guests' (it was an area set aside for only locals to be able to go through) so we could drive up a winding road up a mountain, then we got out when the road ended and hiked a few miles to a part of the Great Wall that is not meant for tourists. It was actually pretty amazing.

My hosts said that the main Great Wall areas that are for tourists have actually been refurbished quite a bit.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

well I picked the wrong photo to upload for that post, but I'm ok with that.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

well I picked the wrong photo to upload for that post, but I'm ok with that.

yeah, car cat is ok

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmRNRjEkWUk

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

what's the point of remaking Q3A when everyone's gonna put fullbright textures on enemies and the walls are gonna be 5x5 textures any way?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Nfcknblvbl posted:

what's the point of remaking Q3A when everyone's gonna put fullbright textures on enemies and the walls are gonna be 5x5 textures any way?
because 1% of players will do that if the game is commercially successful, and there are no modern or commercially successful quake games released since 90s

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

also we dont know yet how much tinkering the devs will allow with game settings this time. all there is atm is that this will be f2p game with option to buy everything relevant for a single game price, and the hypothetical idea of this quake being a more personable and at least somewhat team oriented game (since otherwise it'll just flop and 20 people still playing quake will remain in ql/cpma/whatever

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

does this catte bob its head when you hit a bump and do it's eyes light up red when you hit the brakes?

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

cinci zoo sniper posted:

also we dont know yet how much tinkering the devs will allow with game settings this time. all there is atm is that this will be f2p game with option to buy everything relevant for a single game price, and the hypothetical idea of this quake being a more personable and at least somewhat team oriented game (since otherwise it'll just flop and 20 people still playing quake will remain in ql/cpma/whatever

it will flop because it's just the same poo poo over again

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

quake has dated really badly

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
so many devs think people still want arena shooters but they very do not

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
q3dm17 instagib 1v1

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Improbable Lobster posted:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Improbable Lobster posted:

yea, it will be dead if it does not allow to effortlessly enjoy game with friends. maybe not dead per se, but the franchise will not move noticeably from its current position.

Sweevo posted:

quake has dated really badly
the whacky memelord aesthetic is not helping

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlAi93dNSbk

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
they're targeting 120fps while still looking like that so hopefully that will negate the fullbright/no texture bullshit

I agree that a quake-style hardcore pvp-only game is doa in 2017 tho

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
young people don't play arena shooters and anyone who would is old with lowered reflexes and playing other games like battlefield

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
bideo james ????

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

haveblue posted:

they're targeting 120fps while still looking like that so hopefully that will negate the fullbright/no texture bullshit

I agree that a quake-style hardcore pvp-only game is doa in 2017 tho
i dont get why people buy 120 hz monitors in the age of 144 hz objective supremacy (not pointing fingers at you, an acquaintance bought one just a few months ago)

burning swine
May 26, 2004

gotta have those extra 24 frames

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

bc there is no 32" 4k ips w/ gsync that is also 144hz

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Salt Fish posted:

q3dm17 instagib 1v1

fite me

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

https://fat.gfycat.com/PertinentApprehensiveBlackrussianterrier.webm

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Broke down and bought rocket leauge . Lookin forward to getting drunk at night and hittin those gamblin/addictive centers of my brain.

Also spurred me to reconnect my $1k gaming laptop to the TV so I'll probably stumble into GTA online again. Dunno why I didn't do this earlier... maybe cuz I wanted to develop a life??

http://i.imgur.com/RlVpHMQ.mp4

burning swine
May 26, 2004

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

bc there is no 32" 4k ips w/ gsync that is also 144hz

some day

right now pushing 2560x1440 @ 144 isn't even always possible even with retarded expensive gpus

we need performance to improve by an order of magnitude before 4k gaming at real framerates will be a thing

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

gotta have those extra 24 frames
not the frame count is the issue. 120hz panels, majority of which are tn displays with lightboost, have shittier than usual colours and brightness. also flicker, sometimes. i have no idea if there is hard, fact-based difference between 120hz and 144hz in terms of the actual refresh rate vs human perception and such; 144hz ulmb (or "not-ulmb") screens just deliver an otherwise outright superior picture for very similar money

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

and yeah, getting 1440p@144hz is a $1.5k investment that does barely hold its worth for games which you dont want to play on mostly low settings regardless of hardware/circumstances

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

KoRMaK posted:

Also spurred me to reconnect my $1k gaming laptop to the TV so I'll probably stumble into GTA online again. Dunno why I didn't do this earlier... maybe cuz I wanted to develop a life??

you can be in my minesweeper league that i am organizing

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

huh there's a bunch more grow games

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I love these american prepper shows on netflix. thanks for showing me all your poo poo, so me and my posse of motorcycke raiders can gently caress it up

"these people just don't know how to prepare!" says the man spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on bullshit

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

If this interests anyone, can I highly recommend this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4R5LUGmH08

There's a lot of cool poo poo going on with folding right now.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

lol 20

:smith:

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
there needs to be a show called "american raiders" about seiging prepper compounds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burning swine
May 26, 2004

cinci zoo sniper posted:

not the frame count is the issue. 120hz panels, majority of which are tn displays with lightboost, have shittier than usual colours and brightness. also flicker, sometimes. i have no idea if there is hard, fact-based difference between 120hz and 144hz in terms of the actual refresh rate vs human perception and such; 144hz ulmb (or "not-ulmb") screens just deliver an otherwise outright superior picture for very similar money

I can definitely confirm that many 120hz panels (especially the early ones) are loving horrific. I was a huge early adopter and ended up owning 3 of the 4 120hz monitors from the very first generation, and returned all of them due to quality issues

for example, the amazing backlight bleeding on this viewsonic:

eventually i ended up with a pair of absurdly overpriced alienware 120hz units, and those were the first I've owned that had a good picture and decent (but not stellar) colors. I've only got one 144 panel but it's easily the best looking high refresh panel i've seen, so you're probably right

you're still wrong about mass effect tho

• Locked thread