Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012

Fast Luck posted:

He contested the shot and stuck his leg out, and then decided let's stick that foot further out. So that should already be suspect as hell to anyone watching.

But the thing is basketball people also already know how dangerous undercutting is. Like it's a known thing that everyone's aware of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THGJJHln4Co

So knowing that this is something that has hurt people before, and then seeing Zaza stick his foot extra extra out after the shot is already released? It's disgusting. Bowen is lucky nobody ever Kermit Washingtoned him.

Not going to argue that it isn't reckless because it is, but that kind of sticking your leg out to get closer during a contest something that happens in literally every NBA game. Furthermore the little hop isn't anything suspect, in fact go try Zaza's motion out right now. Hop forward in a lateral/45 degree angle and pretend your contesting someone's shot. Chances are you'll do the extra foot step by nature when stopping. In fact that's pretty much the reason Curry falls on closely contested 3 point shot attempts, cause he knows this is something defenders do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Klay was high as gently caress.

or he wasn't high enough :2bong:

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

The Biggest Jerk posted:

Not going to argue that it isn't reckless because it is, but that kind of sticking your leg out to get closer during a contest something that happens in literally every NBA game. Furthermore the little hop isn't anything suspect, in fact go try Zaza's motion out right now. Hop forward in a lateral/45 degree angle and pretend your contesting someone's shot. Chances are you'll do the extra foot step by nature when stopping. In fact that's pretty much the reason Curry falls on closely contested 3 point shot attempts, cause he knows this is something defenders do.

Shut up

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Reports coming in, Ian Clark turned into a living potato for the collective sins of his basketball organization

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Reckless play is like my #2 pet peeve in pickup just behind people that don't understand hand is part of the ball. Both groups should be fired into the sun

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
https://twitter.com/E_STELO/status/863889673889894400

this musta been dirty too?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Lol come on your better than this

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
drat some Warrior fan went through the whole game trying to find an example of that, lol

Well done though, guess LMA is dirty, hope Draymond snaps his legs like twigs

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012

WhyteRyce posted:

Reckless play is like my #2 pet peeve in pickup just behind people that don't understand hand is part of the ball. Both groups should be fired into the sun

Agreed, but there's a very fine and blurred line between reckless/playing hard/hustling. Someone could be praised for playing hard but the moment someone gets injured the label will be instantly changed to reckless (not that they're mutually exclusive though) and hppens all the time in pick-up. "Oh drat I love having that guy on my team, he always shows up" can easily turned into "poo poo that guy is out of control".

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Does Steph Curry with his pube beard look like a black Daniel Stern in Home Alone to anyone else

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Vichy Basketball Collaborators is superb

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Nm

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

In these trying times, to take our minds off how goddamn dirty and bitchmade the warriors are, let's revisit this fantastic video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRdYCwg4JwY

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

We can pretend the Kawhi injury was an accident but then we're left with the Warriors still getting crazy lucky with injuries against all their top competition

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Declan MacManus posted:

We can pretend the Kawhi injury was an accident but then we're left with the Warriors still getting crazy lucky with injuries against all their top competition

Who knows if they even would have made it out if the first round if not for Jusuf "Big Nurk" Nurkic's injury. Lucky indeed.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
It is funny though that without Nurkic the Blazers were basically only 3-4 games better than the Lakers and they were a playoff team with him. Maybe he should get the MVP.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
The Zaza thing was intentional
Don't try to deny it
Zaza is a known shithead

I feel bad for the Spurs, there is no way the Warriors win that with Kawhi in and they didn't deserve to win with him out. They played like dog poo poo and should have lost

Mike Brown plays downright bonehead lineups, please God let Kerr come back

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Ammanas posted:

Mike Brown plays downright bonehead lineups, please God let Kerr come back

Did you watch game 7 of the finals last year?

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
WHY WOULD YOU PLAY FESTUS EZILI IN CRITICAL MINUTES OF GAME 7 this bugs me more than losing when up 3-1

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Exhibit A on why Bowen is amazing.

I rest my case.

looks like a natural blocking motion to me

bowen was kind of an oaf lol

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i admit i would be less upset if kawhi got taken out by a flying bruce lee kick than the undercutting

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Ammanas posted:

WHY WOULD YOU PLAY FESTUS EZILI IN CRITICAL MINUTES OF GAME 7 this bugs me more than losing when up 3-1

8 point lead instantly vanished. Let's not criticize lineups by Brown too much.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
I think Brown is getting a pretty bad rap. His lineups are largely the same as Kerr's regular season lineups, especially the Livingston or Clark/Thompson/Iguodala/Green/West start of 2nd lineup that everyone has been criticizing. It worked for them in the first 8 games of the playoffs, then was predictably ineffectual in this Game 1 but I don't consider it to be some unforgivable sin to roll with a lineup until it stops working. After this game is the time to switch it up so that either Durant or Curry is in at all times. Also, let's not act like Steve "Strength in Numbers" "I play Anderson Varejao in Game 7 of the NBA Finals" Kerr wouldn't have done the same thing.

The Warriors' lack of pick and rolls in the first half of this game is also largely a continuation of the regular season. Warriors fans were complaining all year that they needed to run more pick and rolls and that the motion offense would struggle against great defenses who could effectively switch, manhandle off the ball and not get lost on backcuts. I've got no doubt in my mind Kerr would have rolled with the same crap gameplan that the Warriors rolled out for this Game 1.

It's pretty clear that every second Gasol is in the game Curry needs to attack him in pick and roll though. Gasol might be unplayable and Aldridge has to suck it up and play center, him in with Kawhi, Simmons, Ginobili, and Green is a great defensive lineup that can somewhat effectively slow the Warriors.

I still think the main problem for the Spurs is going to be offense though. Role players like Green and Mills are going to struggle against the Warriors length and athleticism, Aldridge is not going to dominate his 1v1 matchup with Green enough that the Warriors will bother to send help, and Kawhi can't do it all himself, especially with a sprained ankle.

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012
It sure seems that in the first half they wanted to see what part of the motion offense could work. Now that they see that they can't rely solely on it due to the Spur's defense, they're probably more willing to mix in pick n rolls.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
The salt over the GSW win is real, haha.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

PnR slows down the offense, gently caress fans and radio show hosts.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

warcrimes posted:

PnR slows down the offense, gently caress fans and radio show hosts.

Yeah except all those 3s by Curry after Leonard went down were off of pnr

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

JesusSinfulHands posted:

I think Brown is getting a pretty bad rap. His lineups are largely the same as Kerr's regular season lineups, especially the Livingston or Clark/Thompson/Iguodala/Green/West start of 2nd lineup that everyone has been criticizing. It worked for them in the first 8 games of the playoffs, then was predictably ineffectual in this Game 1 but I don't consider it to be some unforgivable sin to roll with a lineup until it stops working. After this game is the time to switch it up so that either Durant or Curry is in at all times. Also, let's not act like Steve "Strength in Numbers" "I play Anderson Varejao in Game 7 of the NBA Finals" Kerr wouldn't have done the same thing.

The Warriors' lack of pick and rolls in the first half of this game is also largely a continuation of the regular season. Warriors fans were complaining all year that they needed to run more pick and rolls and that the motion offense would struggle against great defenses who could effectively switch, manhandle off the ball and not get lost on backcuts. I've got no doubt in my mind Kerr would have rolled with the same crap gameplan that the Warriors rolled out for this Game 1.

It's pretty clear that every second Gasol is in the game Curry needs to attack him in pick and roll though. Gasol might be unplayable and Aldridge has to suck it up and play center, him in with Kawhi, Simmons, Ginobili, and Green is a great defensive lineup that can somewhat effectively slow the Warriors.

I still think the main problem for the Spurs is going to be offense though. Role players like Green and Mills are going to struggle against the Warriors length and athleticism, Aldridge is not going to dominate his 1v1 matchup with Green enough that the Warriors will bother to send help, and Kawhi can't do it all himself, especially with a sprained ankle.

I've written so many defenses of Mike Brown that I won't do it again, but basically the only actual bad job he did was Cleveland 2.0 and every other time he was pretty much the victim of some other circumstance.

The really interesting thing is that the Spurs actually were fine playing Gasol when the Warriors tried some PnR action early, like they had clearly watched so much tape of the Warriors and picked out so many of their tendencies that they were just squashing these plays. But once Kawhi went out they just stopped successfully predicting the plays and then Pau becomes a pretty big liability in the PnR.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

E2M2 posted:

this musta been dirty too?

I can't tell if this is a joke or not.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

verbal enema posted:

That didn't work for the Celtics...

Black doesn't do as much if your Boston's team.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Bashez posted:

homerism is a hell of a drug.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The cavs were healthy last year . THe warriors don't always play a crippled team.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Um love concussion?

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Bashez posted:

they did this with draymonds nut shots too, finding videos that have absolutely nothing in common with what was being talked about except the person also had legs. warriors fans are trash

Femur posted:

Um love concussion?

yeah they flying elbowed him into the base of his skull. wasnt even a common foul somehow

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes

Rick posted:

I've written so many defenses of Mike Brown that I won't do it again, but basically the only actual bad job he did was Cleveland 2.0 and every other time he was pretty much the victim of some other circumstance.

The really interesting thing is that the Spurs actually were fine playing Gasol when the Warriors tried some PnR action early, like they had clearly watched so much tape of the Warriors and picked out so many of their tendencies that they were just squashing these plays. But once Kawhi went out they just stopped successfully predicting the plays and then Pau becomes a pretty big liability in the PnR.

I get the sense people already have their mind made up that Brown is a bad and incompetent coach and won't attribute anything the Warriors do well to him, while attributing bad things to him being in charge. Maybe that perception will change if the Warriors win it all while he's acting head coach.

I don't quite agree with your characterization of what happened. The first four plays of this clip at the start of the 3rd was basically "go after Pau" while Kawhi was in the game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buo3wN-ncoQ&t=112s

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

BWV posted:

Vichy Basketball Collaborators is superb

It's an overhand right of a phrase that's sadly going to be lost on most of twitter.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/864111583684939776

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Can Bowen or Zaza undercut the jersey corporate logos?

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

I heard by far the worst hot take about Zaza at work today.

"A big lanky dude trying for a close out on a 3 is now dirty? I'm guessing if it's a black dude into another black dude it's just a basketball play, the same as when that clown punk Oubre went after Kelly O for a hard and clean screen and people thought that was justified. Draymond Green had the audacity to call Kelly O dirty, I wonder why. Green is such a joke. If this was KD and not Zaza no one would even talk about this. It's 100% race. The same way people think that punk Oubre was justified going after the other Kelly O."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ihatepants posted:

I heard by far the worst hot take about Zaza at work today.

"A big lanky dude trying for a close out on a 3 is now dirty? I'm guessing if it's a black dude into another black dude it's just a basketball play, the same as when that clown punk Oubre went after Kelly O for a hard and clean screen and people thought that was justified. Draymond Green had the audacity to call Kelly O dirty, I wonder why. Green is such a joke. If this was KD and not Zaza no one would even talk about this. It's 100% race. The same way people think that punk Oubre was justified going after the other Kelly O."

Lol Jesus Christ.

I'm imagining the Venn diagram of "white supremacists" and "sincere Kelly Olynyk fans" is a circle.

• Locked thread