Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Roland Jones posted:

Yeah, it came off as snarky to me as well.

The aye aye captain. Or him asking if anyone has any strong preferences in which direction he should go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

MonsterEnvy posted:

The aye aye captain. Or him asking if anyone has any strong preferences in which direction he should go.

I read both of those as sarcastic and caustic as well.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
His expression has stayed totally neutral this whole time, though. You'd think there'd be the angry eyebrows at least.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Look he's trying keep a burning, mostly destroyed ship steady and not crashing even more horribly than it already is, I don't think he's really in the right state to be having too many opinions right now.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

AnoHito posted:

Look he's trying keep a burning, mostly destroyed ship steady and not crashing even more horribly than it already is, I don't think he's really in the right state to be having too many opinions right now.

Nonsense. Having an opinion is a free action.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Trasson posted:

Nonsense. Having an opinion is a free action.
It's his first edition right!

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?
For now, maybe. But pretty soon Hel is gonna get appointed to the Supreme Deity Court, and that jurisprudence is going to change. We can also expect an expansion of the doctrine of qualified immunity (from backstab or crits), a narrowing of which clerics get access to the "Sun" domain (if it's not thrown out entirely), and the explicit overruling of Drow v. Wade. On the plus side Loki is pretty liberal on lizardfolk/goblin/bugbear/troll issues, so those should at least be fine.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Gee, I sure hope Rich is okay. :ohdear:

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

PMush Perfect posted:

Gee, I sure hope Rich is okay. :ohdear:

Rich Burlew- the laziest webcomic author, a profession already filled with the lazy?

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!
I dunno, man. I'm willing to cut Rich a lot of slack. He definitely puts out a good piece of literature for free. Sure, he's slow to update, and he over-committed to the Kickstarter stretch goals. But lazy? Eh, I don't see it.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Earnestly posted:

I dunno, man. I'm willing to cut Rich a lot of slack. He definitely puts out a good piece of literature for free. Sure, he's slow to update, and he over-committed to the Kickstarter stretch goals. But lazy? Eh, I don't see it.

Where can I also read his good piece of literature?

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

There Bias Two posted:

Where can I also read his good piece of literature?

You are free to stop reading at any time.

To borrow a phrase from Neil Gaiman (speaking about GRRM): Rich Burlew is not your bitch.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

jeebus bob posted:

To borrow a phrase from Neil Gaiman (speaking about GRRM): Rich Burlew is not your bitch.

But we're not wrong to notice that it's taking a loooong time for either of them to finish their story.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

nimby posted:

But we're not wrong to notice that it's taking a loooong time for either of them to finish their story.

The real issue is that people are equating "takes a long time to finish" with "not good". Admittedly this is way worse with ASOAIF readers but still.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TequilaJesus posted:

Rich Burlew- the laziest webcomic author, a profession already filled with the lazy?

Iunno, VGCats guy is still around. And still putting out, like, 5 comics a year? He just posted a new one this week.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Manuel Calavera posted:

Iunno, VGCats guy is still around. And still putting out, like, 5 comics a year? He just posted a new one this week.

Aaron Diaz still exists as well. Burlew's not even close to the top of the "lazy" list, even before you consider that he's got a medical condition that gives him a very good reason to not be a comic-making machine, much as we'd like that.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Rich should create a Patreon so he too can earn a couple thousand bucks for doing a comic every two months or so.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Considering how long it took him to come around to the idea of selling PDFs, he'll probably make a Patreon some time around 2030.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Roland Jones posted:

Aaron Diaz still exists as well. Burlew's not even close to the top of the "lazy" list, even before you consider that he's got a medical condition that gives him a very good reason to not be a comic-making machine, much as we'd like that.

Diaz is doing like at least one comic a month, a ridiculously high workrate for him based on previous form. More than VGCats, certainly.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

nimby posted:

I too love to complain about things I get for free.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

New one!

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Rygar201 posted:

I too love to complain about things I get for free.

I've bought all the OotS books and GRRM's books aren't free.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I hadn't expected the Dunning-Kruger effect to be a plot point. :allears:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

nimby posted:

I've bought OotPC's and Start of Darkness, I still won't complain about the slow update schedule.

I'm probably going to wait another few years before binging on Megatokyo again.

PMush Perfect posted:

I don't get it. :(

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Feb 1, 2017

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

nimby posted:

Cool. Purchasing a book is not a contract for future work.

Good spot with the Dunning Krueger joke, hah

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

I don't get it. :(
Exactly! :pseudo:

The Dunning-Kruger effect is when someone who knows very little about something assumes they can do it just as well as an expert. Colloquially, it is also referred to as 'being too stupid to know that you're stupid'.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Rygar201 posted:

Cool. Purchasing a book is not a contract for future work.

I know that, but that doesn't mean Rich is updating at a steady pace.

It's a testament to the quality of Rich's writing that those of us annoyed by the glacial pace of updates stick it out. I'll almost definitely buy the next book when it comes out, unlike the GRRM books, which I've given up on.

Wonder how fast the Mechane can brake. Is the crew about to have to resort to cannibalism up high in the mountains, while the OotS leaves them behind to go save the world?

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

I'm glad to see Andi immediately dealing with the repercussions of knocking out Bandana.

Basically, gurl, you hosed up.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Malpais Legate posted:

I'm glad to see Andi immediately dealing with the repercussions of knocking out Bandana.

Basically, gurl, you hosed up.

Yeah this is good OotS.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I want to see Belkar ask " Can I stab her?" and Roy consider it.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Johnny Aztec posted:

His death clock has to be running close by now. Wasn't it something like ~12 weeks left at the start of the last book?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

DoctorTristan posted:

His death clock has to be running close by now. Wasn't it something like ~12 weeks left at the start of the last book?

Oots.txt

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

sebmojo posted:

Oots.txt

Probably another three years or so at current pace...

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

DoctorTristan posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that the death clock of some of the people itt is closer to the end than Belkar's.

I spend about 20 minutes every six months or so reading this comic (I'm a slow reader, ok?) and I'm pretty sure that Belkar will be around the lucky of us who survive for years to come.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Johnny Aztec posted:

Unfortunately they can't stab her, she's the engineer. They can't even tie her up, she is necessary to the operation of the ship.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Given what might be about to happen, the ship may well not even be operable soon. I doubt Andi can fix the whole ship on her own if they crash (as a result of her disobeying orders and mutinying), and at that point she's not really necessary to anyone.

Really, I'd have been on board with Felix stabbing her. I suppose the ship getting destroyed and everything being hosed up as a direct result of her actions is a good way for things to go down before she meets any unfortunate fate.

TheAceOfLungs
Aug 4, 2010

PMush Perfect posted:

I read this and confused it with the Doppler effect. It made me wonder just how fast they were approaching that mountain and what exactly was happening; then I read further down the thread and realized I was an idiot.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Well, at least you can realize that.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

TheAceOfLungs posted:

I read this and confused it with the Doppler effect.

Doppler-Kruning effect: an incoming object seems smarter than it really is; an outgoing one seems dumber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Cat Mattress posted:

Doppler-Kruning effect: an incoming object seems smarter than it really is; an outgoing one seems dumber.

That's... totally a very real thing.