Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

fletcher posted:

I'm on Windows 10 and at some point recently my screen saver, auto lock, and even monitor power savings modes are never triggered. My screens just stay on all the time. Why are they not turning off anymore and my auto-lock screen is not happening?

This is just a thing that happens.

I was having the same frustrating issue and what "fixed" it (for a while) was actually hooking up a second monitor. It was dumb and shouldn't have "fixed" anything.

I've also noticed recently (over the past 2 weeks) that the screen saver isn't coming on but the PC is still going to sleep like it should.

Windows is dumb and randomly decides to break poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

LRADIKAL posted:

A very sensitive mouse can pick up vibrations quite easily. try flipping it on it's back.

My mouse can't turn over. Not without your help. But you're not helping.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
Very interesting that others are having this problem as well!

Sounds like maybe a recent Windows update broke this, or maybe NVidia driver issue?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

What's a mouse

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

fletcher posted:

Very interesting that others are having this problem as well!

Sounds like maybe a recent Windows update broke this, or maybe NVidia driver issue?

I've had this issue for the life of my current computer (3 years? maybe 4?). It never went to sleep, or had the screen saver turn on. I've had multiple mice, and the monitor goes to sleep when I switch to my other computer.

My surface studio at work used to go to sleep, then one day, about a year ago, it stopped.

Now I either just power off the monitor/computer entirely, or I load Zbrush which has it's own internal screen saver that fetches art from the Zbrush forums, which is pretty cool.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Amazing, I hope other people appreciate this

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

astral posted:

Also make sure to check Windows' public/private network setting. Private should enable that broadcast/discovery.

Good thinking, but yes it's set as a private network.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

VelociBacon posted:

Amazing, I hope other people appreciate this

I loved it

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Listerine posted:

I loved it

I don't get it

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

BonoMan posted:

I don't get it

It's a reference to a part of Blade Runner where an artificial person is being interviewed and asked if in a scenario he won't flip over a tortoise (baking to its death) why he isn't doing it.

It's a weird scene and then the interviewer asks him about his mother. Then he shoots him in the face.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

It's a reference to a part of Blade Runner where an artificial person is being interviewed and asked if in a scenario he won't flip over a tortoise (baking to its death) why he isn't doing it.

It's a weird scene and then the interviewer asks him about his mother. Then he shoots him in the face.

Oh and I'm very familiar with that scene. It just skipped right off my brain though!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
Do you have MS PowerToys? There is a small program called “Awake” that’s included and, well, it works! You can disable it, but then it would be “Asleep.”

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Would this be the place to ask about a software solution for a webcam?

I recently got setup on Spelltable to play mtg with friends online but the Logitech Capture software won't allow me to turn off auto-exposure. I ended up installing and uninstalling multiple webcam control options and while some will allow me to turn off auto-exposure but won't save any of the settings between restarts, or they are missing the widescreen option or something else that makes the setup sort of lackluster. Right now I am using a much older version of Logitech's controller software from before they removed the option to do manual exposure.

Is there any software out there that will save and load a profile for the camera so that I don't need to tweak it every time? I'm even warming up to pay options at this point, since I have been exhausting my free options.

e: Logitech C920X webcam with Windows 10

NofrikinfuN fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Nov 4, 2021

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

NofrikinfuN posted:

Would this be the place to ask about a software solution for a webcam?

I recently got setup on Spelltable to play mtg with friends online but the Logitech Capture software won't allow me to turn off auto-exposure. I ended up installing and uninstalling multiple webcam control options and while some will allow me to turn off auto-exposure but won't save any of the settings between restarts, or they are missing the widescreen option or something else that makes the setup sort of lackluster. Right now I am using a much older version of Logitech's controller software from before they removed the option to do manual exposure.

Is there any software out there that will save and load a profile for the camera so that I don't need to tweak it every time? I'm even warming up to pay options at this point, since I have been exhausting my free options.

e: Logitech C920X webcam with Windows 10

It's this setting:

It's not turning OFF auto exposure but it should still let you set an offset.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

VelociBacon posted:

It's this setting:

It's not turning OFF auto exposure but it should still let you set an offset.

That just tweaks the brightness though, the exposure still fluctuates. I may just have to use a white surface as the backdrop and deal with it if there's no decent software options, but right now with a dark surface i get really bad hotspots where the light completely blows out the image. I can get around that by disabling auto exposure in other software options, but I want to avoid having to manually reset every setting each time I use the cam if possible.

I guess mostly I just don't understand why exposure controls were removed since they exist in older software and still work when applied. It's baffling.

e: To explain my exact reasoning a little better, the Spelltable software has a feature where it can identify cards on the table. The problem I have with the auto-exposure is that it blows out the image in spots and then that feature stops working. I more or less get perfect results from it when the exposure is set to a static level.

NofrikinfuN fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Nov 4, 2021

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

NofrikinfuN posted:

That just tweaks the brightness though, the exposure still fluctuates. I may just have to use a white surface as the backdrop and deal with it if there's no decent software options, but right now with a dark surface i get really bad hotspots where the light completely blows out the image. I can get around that by disabling auto exposure in other software options, but I want to avoid having to manually reset every setting each time I use the cam if possible.

I guess mostly I just don't understand why exposure controls were removed since they exist in older software and still work when applied. It's baffling.

e: To explain my exact reasoning a little better, the Spelltable software has a feature where it can identify cards on the table. The problem I have with the auto-exposure is that it blows out the image in spots and then that feature stops working. I more or less get perfect results from it when the exposure is set to a static level.

I play MTG also, that's wild. Is this like Modern and stuff where you can't really use MTGA?

e: I'd try bumping the shadows and lowering the contrast to get it to stop popping highlights like that.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I have a Logitech C920, and the default Logitech package W10 installed was such useless trash that I removed it all and installed an old Windows 7 driver, which has worked fine for nearly two years.

The package which currently works for me (knock on wood) is lws280.exe. I do not make use of the software at all, just the driver and the settings dialog.

See https://support.logi.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360051965053-C920-driver

YMMV

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

doctorfrog posted:

I have a Logitech C920, and the default Logitech package W10 installed was such useless trash that I removed it all and installed an old Windows 7 driver, which has worked fine for nearly two years.

The package which currently works for me (knock on wood) is lws280.exe. I do not make use of the software at all, just the driver and the settings dialog.

See https://support.logi.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360051965053-C920-driver

YMMV

Thanks, I will give this a whirl tonight.

VelociBacon posted:

I play MTG also, that's wild. Is this like Modern and stuff where you can't really use MTGA?

e: I'd try bumping the shadows and lowering the contrast to get it to stop popping highlights like that.

Yeah, it's all real cards on webcam so you can pretty much do whatever format. There's a lobby for games with randos but I pretty much stick to games with friends.

https://spelltable.wizards.com if you're interested. WOTC bought the project and made it and official product last year.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I hate Word SO MUCH

Thanks for listening

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Day to day, Word causes me less frustration than Illustrator. I'm not sure if that's despite or because we're stuck on office 2010.

(Though it's also a low bar; editing PDFs generated elsewhere in Illustrator is an experience.)

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
InDesign isn't perfect but I find it much more consistent than Word for sure.

Here's another issue that I think is related to other Windows DPI scaling problems. When I connect to my computer over RDP some windows have trouble rendering menus or title bars. They look like this:

Signing out and in again fixes it but that's pretty inconvenient. What gives?

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
I highly recommend checking out Affinity Publisher as an alternative to InDesign, Word, etc.

It's $55 for a permanent license, and with a little work up front to build a template for what you want, it gives pretty good control of producing documents with consistent formatting and manageable image placement.

Microsoft Office products have stagnated forever because everyone uses them. There is no excuse for how bad they are other than how pervasive they are in the market. If you don't need to share .docx files with coworkers, switching to a desktop publisher will make your life so much better in the long-term.

Affinity has alternatives for Photoshop and Illustrator (called Affinity Photo and Design, I think), that if you have them installed as well you can load their tools from within Publisher, so if you want to add photos/vector art to your publication you can do it directly without having to do the old open/work on file/save/close/import runaround.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

tuyop posted:

I hate Word SO MUCH

Thanks for listening

I’ve been using OpenOffice for as long as I’ve been on Win10, and I’ve had less trouble with formatting and templates and extensions than I do from my great-great uncle's 1930s era "portable" typewriter. I'd rather use NotePad++ (or just notepad.exe) than Office.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Oh I definitely need to share my work with a whole company of folks who barely know how to use Word but that’s all they barely know how to use.

I think I’m going to go with InDesign for this project because I have the CC license and know the software, but I liked Affinity Designer for the few weeks I used their trial and I bet their publisher is… more contained than Adobe’s. My logic behind using ID is that it will export a slightly broken-rear end word doc when I’m done. However, I don’t think word documents can be anything but at least a little broken so I bet nobody will notice.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Libreoffice Draw has also quietly grown into a decent tool - I know a couple of people who use it to adjust pdf figures for scientific papers because its easier than fighting with Illustrator.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Wait, you can edit PDFs competently with Draw? Never even thought to try, I just assumed it would be a poo poo show.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

doctorfrog posted:

Wait, you can edit PDFs competently with Draw? Never even thought to try, I just assumed it would be a poo poo show.

The ones from R/ggplot seem to do ok, at least?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
What are some good drawing programs out there for a Surface Book? I have Paintshop and Corel Painter, but I'm really looking for something that does sketching. Trying to get back into drawing for the first time in 30 years.

Ideally something that has great online tutorials as well. Doesn't need to be free, but I'm not looking for something as serious as Illustrator.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Medullah posted:

What are some good drawing programs out there for a Surface Book? I have Paintshop and Corel Painter, but I'm really looking for something that does sketching. Trying to get back into drawing for the first time in 30 years.

Ideally something that has great online tutorials as well. Doesn't need to be free, but I'm not looking for something as serious as Illustrator.

I've been loving the Concepts app.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Nov 6, 2021

EpicCodeMonkey
Feb 19, 2011

Medullah posted:

I've heard good things about Krita, which is free.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D

Medullah posted:

I paint pretty much exclusively in Photoshop. Corel Painter is a bit slow on the surface I found. Older versions of Photoshop (eg 2019) run great on surface. There's also Autodesk sketchbook which is free that's good for sketching.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I've heard nothing but praise for Clip Studio Paint from comics artists.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clip_Studio_Paint

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Medullah posted:

SAI is the simple, straightforward tool with great default brushes and a 30-day trial. And Clip Studio is a little move advanced but also great. CSP is 50% off a lot of the time.

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

What's the general view these days on whether a fresh install of Windows is beneficial when swapping to a new mobo/CPU? It's Windows 11 (upgraded from a 12-18 month old install of 10) and no other components are being changed.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

SuperTeeJay posted:

What's the general view these days on whether a fresh install of Windows is beneficial when swapping to a new mobo/CPU? It's Windows 11 (upgraded from a 12-18 month old install of 10) and no other components are being changed.

Generally it works fine, if no unusual hardware or storage options are being used (for ex motherboard raid). And you're using UEFI boot on both PCs.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I dunno if this is the right thread, but does anyone here know a way to accomplish what this Excel plugin is doing, without needing a loving plugin.

https://www.asap-utilities.com/blog/tip-insert-line-or-empty-row-between-groups/

wibble
May 20, 2001
Meep meep

fletcher posted:

I'm on Windows 10 and at some point recently my screen saver, auto lock, and even monitor power savings modes are never triggered. My screens just stay on all the time. Why are they not turning off anymore and my auto-lock screen is not happening?

Me as well, seems like a lot of people are having this issue. Seems to have started sometime this year.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

wibble posted:

Me as well, seems like a lot of people are having this issue. Seems to have started sometime this year.

My screen saver, auto-lock, and monitor auto-off started working yesterday out of nowhere. Don't recall installing any Windows Updates, or updating any drivers. So weird!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

fletcher posted:

So weird!

Welcome to windows!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Okay, I've got Windows 11 ARM preview installed into a Parallels VM on my M1 Mac. So far, so good.

I'd like to purchase a genuine (lol) Windows license, so I can activate it. When I click on the 'Go to Store' link, it looks like there is no MS Store app included in the install:

So I've been trying to install MS Store, and failing. I tried this page, but the download button just downloads a legal document about arbitration:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=54768

I tried this page, but the 'Get' button does nothing:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/microsoft-store/9wzdncrfjbmp?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

I feel like MS would want me to be able to do this... but I'm totally failing at it.