Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lizurcainnon
May 5, 2008

Broken Cog posted:

He was definitely here for the artifact, got the message and everything. Feels a bit weird though, not like I could do much else than beat him down when he stormed in.

Had the exact same scenario occur, except while my militia was putting down the guy making a scene, and then running around dealing with the suddenly hostile bard, dancer, and archer at various points around the fort, the artifact in question was stolen. Mastermind behind the plot was acquaintances with all the deceased, plus the dwarf he suborned to do the actual theft, and he was still in the fort during the fighting as his thoughts listed witnessing one of their dead bodies. Can't interrogate the corpses (maybe if I had a necromancer?), so I can only suspect he set the others up as a distraction while he picked up the goods from the inside dwarf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Thank GOD. Cavern 2 was also bone dry, but finally, at -118, Cavern 3 has water.

Now to build the mother of all pump stacks to get this poo poo anywhere near my fort. Hope my glassmakers are ready for a year's worth of corkscrews and pipes.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Broken Cog posted:

So, items get "Acquired" by dwarves when they haul them, right? Would it be possible to set up an automated process of loading a minecart with crafted objects, set it off to make it spill them all over the floor, then have your dwarves haul them back to the cart/a nearby stockpile?

Yes. The minecart doesn't even need to move, you can basically just set it up as a quantum stockpile where the dump tile is not a stockpile. I recommend making the stockpile feeding the cart very small, because every empty stockpile tile creates a job, and there will be infinite rotation of jobs coming, so maybe make it just one tile stockpile.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Redeye Flight posted:

Thank GOD. Cavern 2 was also bone dry, but finally, at -118, Cavern 3 has water.

Now to build the mother of all pump stacks to get this poo poo anywhere near my fort. Hope my glassmakers are ready for a year's worth of corkscrews and pipes.

Couldn't you just channel a 1 tile hole next to your hospital/tavern/whatever, designate a pond zone, fill it via bucket brigade and plonk a well on top of it if you need potable water? 118 pumps and associated infrastructure seems like overkill unless you're making a moat or a decorative waterfall or doing a lot of obsidian farming

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Asterite34 posted:

Couldn't you just channel a 1 tile hole next to your hospital/tavern/whatever, designate a pond zone, fill it via bucket brigade and plonk a well on top of it if you need potable water? 118 pumps and associated infrastructure seems like overkill unless you're making a moat or a decorative waterfall or doing a lot of obsidian farming
Yeah I'd advise this for RIGHT NOW. Do the pumping for the stuff later. Otherwise you will either have to forbid the area (and still have water shortage) or will have assholes haring down to Cavern 3 to fill a bucket to water a malingerer in your hospital.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

all my cave water is full of mud but oh well nobody's got an infection yet

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer

Redeye Flight posted:

if you're just making a well it can be way way above the actual water source. channel a 1x1 all the way from your well down to water level and it does work

not sure if there's any downsides though

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

hbag posted:

all my cave water is full of mud but oh well nobody's got an infection yet

You can fix this with a pump. Any water that goes through a screw pump into tiles that has never held muddy water, becomes clean water.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

tak posted:

if you're just making a well it can be way way above the actual water source. channel a 1x1 all the way from your well down to water level and it does work

Is this actually still true? The one time I've tried a well more than one z-level above water in the Steam version, it showed no water available. when I tried to make the well a water source.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

tak posted:

Long hauling, mostly. The hospital supply pond is a fantastic temporary idea, gonna do that, but I want the water up high eventually, both because gently caress You Seed How Dare You Put The Water So Far Down, and also because I'll need larger amounts to do various projects.

chglcu posted:

Is this actually still true? The one time I've tried a well more than one z-level above water in the Steam version, it showed no water available. when I tried to make the well a water source.

Yeah, my wells are usually 20 levels above my reservoir if not more -- the main downside is that the higher up a well is, the more time it takes the dwarves to lower and then raise the bucket.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

With my newest fort I'm using 7-bed Dormitories instead of individual bedrooms:

What I've noticed is that now all my dwarven children play in groups/pairs in the dorms, instead of everyone running off on their own. In the screenshot above, everyone hanging out in the dorms is a child.

I am not 100% sure of causation here but this is also the only fort I've ever had where children don't go below yellow happiness

I have a feeling that making one large dorm for children specifically would be ideal, but I'm not sure I want to micromanage it that much.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Interesting. One of the hacks for maximum happiness in the last pre-Steam version was to make a big rear end palatial bedroom with gold furniture and all the bells and whistles and put a shitload of beds in it. The dwarfs would be upset they had to share a bedroom (-50%) but would also have all the multipliers from owning all this poo poo. I wonder if this can still be accomplished?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Do you have individual dining halls, or just including the table and chair for aesthetics?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Table and chairs are just for aesthetics/room value/to make dwarves stop complaining about not having chairs.

The only (non-noble) dining hall I have is this one on the same floor: It's a Dining Hall not assigned to any specific dwarves but assigned to a Tavern location.

Seems to work the same as a Meeting Area tavern with the added benefit of every dwarf going there when they're hungry/thirsty, not just when they have no job to do. It stops dwarves from just standing around idle there, and they even still show up to attend performances.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jan 6, 2023

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Assigning rooms to taverns is kinda tedious, and dorms as part of a tavern doesnt seem to have any effect on beds available to it. Visitors will head over and look at all the sleeping dwarves like creepers though.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jan 6, 2023

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

well... yeah. they're rented rooms. you can't exactly rent out a dorm piece by piece. that would be silly

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Is there a good solution to the problem of squads on a rotating schedule instantly dropping poo poo where they stand as soon as the schedule switches? All the half-eaten food they leave around keeps making miasmas.

I know I could have them on a constant schedule, but then they’d probably get terminal psychosis because they didn’t get to occasionally glaze pottery or whatever.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

hbag posted:

well... yeah. they're rented rooms. you can't exactly rent out a dorm piece by piece. that would be silly

Computer, show me a hostel

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Comrade Koba posted:

Is there a good solution to the problem of squads on a rotating schedule instantly dropping poo poo where they stand as soon as the schedule switches? All the half-eaten food they leave around keeps making miasmas.

I know I could have them on a constant schedule, but then they’d probably get terminal psychosis because they didn’t get to occasionally glaze pottery or whatever.

They will study the blade or they will experience the Hammerer :colbert:

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Comrade Koba posted:

You can force them to wear their armor at all times even when not on active duty. For the food, just don't ever make any backpacks, and forbid any you already have. They're bugged.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

For iindividual bedrooms included as tavern rooms, I ended up seeing regular dwarves claim them instead and was too lazy to micromanage them to help them. (I had purposefully made the tavern bedrooms smaller and more economical but I guess that sort of backfired since my own dwarves claimed them anyway.) It's too bad because I think long-term residents can't claim bedrooms until they're citizens (or can they?) and some can't ever become citizens (monster slayers and mercenaries).

Comrade Koba posted:

Yes, edit the schedule orders to make sure they always have their equipment on. That will stop them from dropping all their poo poo and constantly re-equipping themselves. Personally I've never had problems with food/backpacks like people here seem to have, either.

You can also have them on constant training with no problem (never had a dwarf go berserk over it even after years of constant training), just make sure to edit the training schedule to have minimum ~7-8 dwarves train at once (instead of 10 at a time which it defaults to). This means that at any given moment, a couple members of the squad will be "off-duty" and allowed to fulfill needs like socializing or worshipping. Best part is they seem to rotate amongst themselves so you don't have to do any fancy managing beyond setting it up.

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer

Clocks posted:

You can also have them on constant training with no problem (never had a dwarf go berserk over it even after years of constant training), just make sure to edit the training schedule to have minimum ~7-8 dwarves train at once (instead of 10 at a time which it defaults to). This means that at any given moment, a couple members of the squad will be "off-duty" and allowed to fulfill needs like socializing or worshipping. Best part is they seem to rotate amongst themselves so you don't have to do any fancy managing beyond setting it up.

I couldn't get this to work. I'd edit the orders and save it but if I open it back up it's still set to minimum 10

can you paste a screenshot of your settings?

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Comrade Koba posted:

As soon as they reach high enough skill in their weapon they stop giving a poo poo about ever being a civilian again. If your training works well enough, they might get there fast enough that they won't have time to go nuts.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Is there a way to assign two members of a squad to go stand guard outside the tavern (to help with bar brawls) or outside of my library (with a dog to murk artifact thieves)? Or do I need to have separate squads and find someone half competent to be a captain or whatever

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

So much for this ring mist generator

This has terrible implications for how warm my Tavern is.

Is the solution to this to pipe magma to under these tiles?

I decided to try to fix this by placing magma beneath the floors of the 4 points of the ring mist generator. Even with 7/7 magma beneath the floor I don't get a warm description at the floor points and any ponded water freezes to ice when dropped from above. Some nearby floor and wall descriptions do pick up the warm designation though, seems somewhat random? Thinking of expanding my magma chamber from below to being much much larger?

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

tak posted:

I couldn't get this to work. I'd edit the orders and save it but if I open it back up it's still set to minimum 10

can you paste a screenshot of your settings?

You will want to go into "schedule" on the squad page and then hit "edit" on any of the things you want to edit. In this example we're just going to edit the constant training tab:

You will see an image like the below. You will want to set the minimum number of soldiers to follow new order to below 10. I prefer to use 7 or 8, but this can also depend on your squad size (if you have a squad of 7, you might want to set it to 5, for instance). At the same time, you want to get rid of the default "at least 10, train" order by clicking on the cancel button that I've marked as #2. Lastly, you'll want to select a new order using the new minimum. In our case we want the training button which is the axe icon, which I've marked as #3.

If you're successful, your new order should say that at least 7 dwarves should now train (#4. do not cancel this, it's just for illustration). Then you hit done editing (#5) and voila! You can also then copy & paste this exact order across other squads if you select them before hitting "schedule".

Hope this helps! If not, let me know where I lost you!

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
There's way to modify the individual routine so that it's automatically copied across all instances of that routine, instead of creating a new one, I think. But that menu is insanely dumb so I usually have to copy it across every month whenever I change an order. At least you can use the same order with different squads.

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer

Clocks posted:

You will want to go into "schedule" on the squad page and then hit "edit" on any of the things you want to edit. In this example we're just going to edit the constant training tab:

You will see an image like the below. You will want to set the minimum number of soldiers to follow new order to below 10. I prefer to use 7 or 8, but this can also depend on your squad size (if you have a squad of 7, you might want to set it to 5, for instance). At the same time, you want to get rid of the default "at least 10, train" order by clicking on the cancel button that I've marked as #2. Lastly, you'll want to select a new order using the new minimum. In our case we want the training button which is the axe icon, which I've marked as #3.

If you're successful, your new order should say that at least 7 dwarves should now train (#4. do not cancel this, it's just for illustration). Then you hit done editing (#5) and voila! You can also then copy & paste this exact order across other squads if you select them before hitting "schedule".

Hope this helps! If not, let me know where I lost you!

ahh I think it's because I missed #3, will try that thanks!

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Using dorms is incredibly nice, since they don't get assigned to specific dwarves I never have to build more bedrooms when migrants arrive - they cycle in and out of the existing beds. So far 98 beds across 14 dorm rooms has been more than enough for 130 dwarves. And I can definitely confirm that it is the secret to dwarven child happiness. Look at this!!

Only 5 dwarves in my entire fort are under lime green happiness, including all the kids! Dwarven infants love dorm rooms?

I think the only thing it's doing to affect their happiness is getting them all together in groups so they are surrounded by friends, but :shrug: Apparently that's all it takes. Kids running around on their own get sad and depressed. If you give them a daycare to hang out in they're fine.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

deep dish peat moss posted:

With my newest fort I'm using 7-bed Dormitories instead of individual bedrooms:

What I've noticed is that now all my dwarven children play in groups/pairs in the dorms, instead of everyone running off on their own. In the screenshot above, everyone hanging out in the dorms is a child.

I am not 100% sure of causation here but this is also the only fort I've ever had where children don't go below yellow happiness

I have a feeling that making one large dorm for children specifically would be ideal, but I'm not sure I want to micromanage it that much.

Little bastards just love playing down in the lowest cavern layer, just had ~7 of them get eaten by a forgotten beast. Serves them right for doing their chores I guess.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

tak posted:

It takes a long time to fill the bucket and your well can unexpectedly become fun. Otherwise no downsides.

chglcu posted:

I don't think you need to designate a well as a water source. Dwarves understand that's what it's for.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

tak posted:

Is there a trick to this? Every time I've tried to channel a 1x1 straight down any distance my dwarf eventually stops, climbs out of the hole, and then nobody ever wants to climb back down into it and I have to carve out a staircase anyways.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
I have a bunch of stone-fall traps built, but my guys won't set them, despite a bounty of unforbidden rocks available to use. No burrows are set and no jobs are set to "nobody does this". The only thing I can think of could be an issue is the army of undead just outside my gates, but they're outside my gates and have no way to get in and scare the dwarfs away from setting the traps...

Don't even see the jobs in the task queue.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Have you ever accidentally tossed something in a foot-pedal trashcan before pushing down the pedal?

Edit: Digging out a bedroom setup in the middle of an aquifer is a pain:

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jan 7, 2023

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Is there a trick to this? Every time I've tried to channel a 1x1 straight down any distance my dwarf eventually stops, climbs out of the hole, and then nobody ever wants to climb back down into it and I have to carve out a staircase anyways.

You dig a stair all the way down, then channel next to the stair all the way back up. Put a hatch cover at the top

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Dig a staircase next to it. Then floor over the staircase when you're done.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
So I started a new Fort, and wanted to avoid the caverns while I broke into the magma sea. I got down there, but the caverns are attached to the magma sea. There's no direct path from the caverns into my stairwell, but will poo poo still spawn regardless?

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Block the hole after the miner goes down it. If they can't path to food/drink/bed, they won't start climbing. Just a temporary constructed floor will do. He'll get hungry/thirsty/tired, but generally you can dig all the way to the magma sea well before he dies, only taking a few naps and getting a bunch of negative thoughts on the way.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Zeruel posted:

So I started a new Fort, and wanted to avoid the caverns while I broke into the magma sea. I got down there, but the caverns are attached to the magma sea. There's no direct path from the caverns into my stairwell, but will poo poo still spawn regardless?

It will. And then it will try to constantly path into your fort, killing fps.

Just go to the additional settings and turn cavern invasions way down, or off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

There really should be some capacity to have normal diplomatic relations with the cavern civs, get trade caravans if you set up a depot down there or something. I'm sure they'd be better trade partners than fuckin Elves