Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Its really only gently caress judge. The kids were engineered by him to be dicks

Engineered dicks are still dicks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Its really only gently caress judge. The kids were engineered by him to be dicks

Yeah, but Reiju managed to get over it, so what's everyone else's excuse?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Reiju didn't go through the personality modification if I recall.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Yeah, she's still capable of empathy and emotions and poo poo, but I think she was modified to be loyal to Judge so she could help Sanji but she couldn't run away with him or anything.

Chapter was awesome, glad I waited for the official release on this one. Franky and Usopp's reactions to Sanji's name were perfect, I can't wait to see what his customized design looks like. C'mon Mister Prince!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Reiju's the older sibling, and probably the prototype. She has to obey Judge's orders, though like with any such restraining bolt she can find plenty of ways to work around it when necessary, she just acted like a sociopath like her brothers so she wouldn't get treated as bad as Sanji. I think that's the only mental conditioning she's had, though.

The brothers not only lack empathy but a fair few other emotions including fear- they aren't even afraid for their own lives, as Judge finds out to his horror when Big Mom's family literally has them at gunpoint and the boys find it amusing despite knowing they're almost certainly going to die right there. They have some feelings, like abovementioned amusement, seem to have some lust towards Nami (the family clearly has a type) and definitely a sadistic bent, but it's clear they're the victims of a horrible experiment that Sanji was lucky to escape.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Germa’s really interesting and I hope they appear again later on as more than just a cameo.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
So Law knowing about 3 Black means that this is an old theme for Germa. I always thought the raid suits were new inventions, are they just modeled after the stories?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It sounds like basically he grew up reading GI Joe and decided to start his own COBRA.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Reiju was modified after she was born, whereas the other siblings were modified before they worn born.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Germa’s really interesting and I hope they appear again later on as more than just a cameo.

What were they doing when we last saw them? Last I remember seeing was the Judge getting dunked on by Mom's thunderbolt + one of the Bucho Bros slipping Sanji the black can before throwing him the gently caress outta dodge

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
I never really liked Germa, they were necessary as a plot device but Sanji's second origin story wasn't nearly as interesting as the first and the super sentai gimmick was relatively uninspired by Oda's usual standards.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Oh no I hope this Bellamy loser isn't the new villain. He seems like a real lame compared to Baroque Works types. I am hype to see them go to the sky island though, I wonder how they even manage that.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The Shounen Jump app gave me a chance to reread a lot of One Piece and it's amazing how little power creep there is in the beginning.

East Blue ends without any power ups. Most of the time that the crew struggle, they're generally suffering from handicaps (Zoro's near-permanently handicapped throughout East Blue, Sanji takes a ton of blows trying to protect someone) or it's Luffy fighting the arc boss.

Alabasta doesn't really have power ups either unless you count Nami getting a weapon upgrade and Zoro learning to cut steel.

You only really start getting power ups starting CP9 with Luffy's Gear 2, Zoro's short-lived Asura, and Sanji's Diablo Jambe.

Granted, the physical feats they pull off start getting more impressive, so there's this whole general power creep for the entire universe, but battle-wise, Luffy and co. remain pretty consistent for like a good half of Part 1.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It actually fits with the theme that East Blue is the boonies of the world, both the heroes and the villains are big fish in a small pond. It's only once they reach the Grand Line that they have to step up.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Granted, the physical feats they pull off start getting more impressive, so there's this whole general power creep for the entire universe, but battle-wise, Luffy and co. remain pretty consistent for like a good half of Part 1.

I don't really know what beats to Luffy axing all of Arlong Park in half for a really, really long time. Lugging the gold up the beanstalk would count if the little jet ski couldn't also do it, making it look like gold is just light in OP universe. Smashing Croc through the ground feels like it's about the same as Arlong Park, to be honest.

Did he lift the thing he was stuck under on Little Garden?

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Climbing the mountain in Drum?

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Climbing the mountain in Drum?

That's just Shonen stamina. Like, a real person could probably pull that off without all the extra weight, so Luffy was just three times as good as the best free climbers in the world.

Edit: and a lifetime of training and years of plotting a course. No amount of training will let you kick a ten story building in half.

Don't get me wrong, the Drum climb is an amazing part of One Piece, I just don't see it as more power demanding than the Arlong Park thing

Man with Hat fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Feb 4, 2019

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Whenever I think of Ace's death scene I can only hear this, which kind of ruins the moment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dyxr--0hHWU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Man with Hat posted:

So Law knowing about 3 Black means that this is an old theme for Germa. I always thought the raid suits were new inventions, are they just modeled after the stories?

Iirc, Germa 66 was always a true and real thing, but mostly as rumor aside from a notable incident in North Blue where they assassinated four kings. As for where the raid suits are modeled, it's unclear afaict since it's the WG who apparently made the comic and used the Germa as the model for the villains.

It may be that Garuda basically stole the ideas from the comic to mock the WG on their depiction, but that's just speculation.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Luffy's abilities do lend themselves specifically to absurd physical feats. Pretty much every ounce of strength and endurance he has is amplified by his rubber body, combined with ridiculous reach.

Reach is actually a bit of a plot point, given Oars is specifically mentioned as being as dangerous as Luffy because he's absurdly strong and has long limbs, and Kaku's giraffe form is way more dangerous than it looks. (again, giraffes in the real world have no natural predators, and share a continent with lions)

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Giraffes have limitless destructive power, so that checks out.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
It's worth remembering that Garp did raise Luffy, Ace, and sort of Sabo. That's the biggest component of why all 3 are monstrously powerful even without devil fruits.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

every time i remember the ball of gold and the jetski i have a mental schism

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Xelkelvos posted:

Iirc, Germa 66 was always a true and real thing, but mostly as rumor aside from a notable incident in North Blue where they assassinated four kings. As for where the raid suits are modeled, it's unclear afaict since it's the WG who apparently made the comic and used the Germa as the model for the villains.

It may be that Garuda basically stole the ideas from the comic to mock the WG on their depiction, but that's just speculation.

I had interpreted it as there being multiple iterations of the Germa force in the past, and the one we see is basically just the most recent iteration, but one where Judge decided to staff it entirely with his genetically modified children. Tough to tell.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

The WG had no direct involvement, IIRC. The comic strip runs in Morgans's newspaper, and he mentions having ties to the Vinsmokes; presumably Judge licensed Germa 66's name and likenesses to Morgans, and he's OK with being depicted as the villain.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
its profitable to be infamous in their line of work

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

The WG had no direct involvement, IIRC. The comic strip runs in Morgans's newspaper, and he mentions having ties to the Vinsmokes; presumably Judge licensed Germa 66's name and likenesses to Morgans, and he's OK with being depicted as the villain.

The hero is a Marine and is meant to glorify the Marines. Also, why would Morgans need to actually License anything?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Sora Warrior of the Sea is supposedly literal Marine Propaganda based on real actions of Marine Heroes. Germa 66 were chosen as the major villains because of the reputation of their commanders. If I had to offer a solution Judge and the children who aren’t Sanji have actually been active since the children were like very young, fair suits and everything. With the version in the comic showing up shortly after the Vinsmoke Children started fighting. Doesn’t explain Stealth Black being in the comics though.

Judge starting to use his engineered super children as weapons almost as soon as he can checks out to me.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
https://twitter.com/Bootleg_Stuff/status/1092627865928167428

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

GOMU GOMU NO ORGASMIC MASSAGE

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Lord_Magmar posted:

Doesn’t explain Stealth Black being in the comics though.

He's "Stealth" black and has the power to go invisible. It could always be just a namedrop for a character they never draw because they're always invisible. Just like how until very recently, Absalom has appeared in every chapter of One Piece.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Honestly it makes more sense than how My Hero Acadamia gets away with Hagakure being extremely NSFW in every panel.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Nighthand posted:

He's "Stealth" black and has the power to go invisible. It could always be just a namedrop for a character they never draw because they're always invisible. Just like how until very recently, Absalom has appeared in every chapter of One Piece.

Except he's actually in one of them visible according to Law.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I hope we get a Germa 66 lore chapter as told by Law.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It doesn't seem entirely clear on what the history of Germa is, though we've had hints. Garuda apparently used to work with Dr Vegapunk, which is presumably where his got his technical knowledge and genetic engineering tech from (the 'lineage factor' seems to imply he and Vegapunk discovered DNA and genetics) which he used to modify his chidren and create his clone army, and possibly the giant Mushis.

If I had a guess? Germa's been around for a long time but this latest incarnation is new, possibly a revival of a group that was defeated/destroyed and Garuda was heir to, at least we haven't seen anyone from Germa who isn't a clone soldier or his family. Mighta been more like COBRA back in the day with high-tech (for the time) gimmick soldiers (and possibly Devil Fruit powers) with the Vinsmokes as the ruling dynasty, and as conquerors of the North Blue they would naturally be major enemies of the Marines, who want a monopoly on that sort of business. Quite possibly they fell to Grand Line sailors who have experience with much worse than anything the blue seas can throw at them, and Garuda needed to study with someone like Vegapunk to catch up. (apparently it's mentioned that Vegapunk was arrested by the World Government and presumably put to work for them while Garuda escaped?)

Also funny thing is Garuda is basically the North Blue counterpart to Don Krieg. Even down to having a specific enmity with Sanji and contempt for his profession.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Who's Garuda? I thought he was called Judge.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

[edit] This double post was brought to you by the cheapest, most dogshit network my workplace would grudgingly pay for.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Feb 6, 2019

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Who's Garuda? I thought he was called Judge.

Judge is his actual name, Garuda is his Gerna 66 Superhero/villain title

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It doesn't seem entirely clear on what the history of Germa is, though we've had hints. Garuda apparently used to work with Dr Vegapunk, which is presumably where his got his technical knowledge and genetic engineering tech from (the 'lineage factor' seems to imply he and Vegapunk discovered DNA and genetics) which he used to modify his chidren and create his clone army, and possibly the giant Mushis.

If I had a guess? Germa's been around for a long time but this latest incarnation is new, possibly a revival of a group that was defeated/destroyed and Garuda was heir to, at least we haven't seen anyone from Germa who isn't a clone soldier or his family. Mighta been more like COBRA back in the day with high-tech (for the time) gimmick soldiers (and possibly Devil Fruit powers) with the Vinsmokes as the ruling dynasty, and as conquerors of the North Blue they would naturally be major enemies of the Marines, who want a monopoly on that sort of business. Quite possibly they fell to Grand Line sailors who have experience with much worse than anything the blue seas can throw at them, and Garuda needed to study with someone like Vegapunk to catch up. (apparently it's mentioned that Vegapunk was arrested by the World Government and presumably put to work for them while Garuda escaped?)

Also funny thing is Garuda is basically the North Blue counterpart to Don Krieg. Even down to having a specific enmity with Sanji and contempt for his profession.

I don't think Germa 66 actually had that bad a relationship with the Marines. Remember, they had Reverie rights, and while Judge did say they were probably about to lose them, that was probably for allying with Big Mom rather than for something Germa 66 did decades ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Considering their Reverie invite and general methods I would assume Sora Great Warrior of the sea is a mutually beneficial piece of propaganda. The Marines are able to sell themselves as heroes through it whilst Germa can move in shadows better by being a “tale for children”.