Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
A couple weeks ago I did a trial class at a BJJ gym. Got told that white belts don't get to roll with each other except under supervision or if they know each other well already. During rounds, ended up with one white belt, who got a quick lecture before rolling with me, and had several color belts staring at us as we rolled.

I did leave that round with a good size bruise but that felt like a great approach, if you've got the color belts to support it. I was learning much much more rolling with the color belts anyways.

Think I'm gonna start with that gym on my free days, in a couple weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Hellblazer187 posted:

On MTG Arena, for a while I would get mad if other people would concede the game before I could kill them. But then I started conceding games when I knew I couldn't win. It owns. Saves several seconds.

In BJJ it saves several seconds AND potentially several months of rehab. So I'm all for tapping really quickly.

The only time I could honestly see myself getting upset about someone tapping too quickly would be if I was unsure if I actually had the lock on properly.

This is a good lesson to learn, I'm glad you learned it via a non-destructive manner. (Although MTG is pretty destructive..... :v:)

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Wtf does that dude gain from that!? It's not like needs to practice helplessly letting someone crank a submission. Or was he trying to work his way out while it happened?

I think toeholds and the back mount ankle lock are more prone to this sort of thing (especially if they're done slowly) because the lockout point isn't as obvious as it is with, say, an armbar; it feels more like a gradual stretch that asymptotically approaches a wall, and then a few more pounds of force are added... aaand then the gross Velcro-tearing noise. The silver lining is that if it does happen, it's one of the easiest BJJ injuries to recover from--maybe one or two weeks of rest and then babying it with tape or a brace for a bit after that, which is nothing compared to some mechanically identical ankle sprains I've experienced. That said, if someone clearly doesn't understand the submission well enough to appreciate the danger or attempt an escape, I'll just catch and release when there isn't any more slack to take out of the ankle ligaments, but I also won't lose much sleep if someone fights it and gets their ankle popped.

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

Nestharken posted:

Hell yeah! Let us know how it goes--I always enjoy seeing people come back after a long break.

Just got back from my first class in like 4 years. There's a whole backstory to this search for a bjj gym in my area, but to make it short: First gym was run by a psycho, second gym was closed down 3 days before I visited. Third time's the charm I guess.

Smaller place than what I'm used to. My old gym had a ton of mat space and a lot of students. My old gym also did like 10 mins of work outs/warm ups. New gym does none of that. You stretch yourself before class and then it's go time. They were working on clock chokes, which was interesting when I barely remembered how to pass closed guard. Fun though. My throat hurts. Good black belt instructor, decent music and vibe, but man there were too many loving people for the small space. I rolled like twice and was so loving gassed. A purple belt complimented my pressure, so that was nice at least. The white belts I went against seemed well trained, better than the ones at my old gym. I overheard the teacher saying something about how they'd all be blue belts at other gyms or something, I dunno. I had to just sit out a lot of the rolling cause I was about to puke, but it was still so nice to be back in the gi and getting tossed around.

I'm hoping that they do some sort of break fall training or something at times. It was just boom right into learning techniques and practicing them. My old teacher was Brazilian, so I dunno if doing poo poo like shrimping across the mat and back is normal or not now. Also no stand up work whatsoever, but that's not too strange. Main problem was the cramped mat. Simply not enough space for everybody to roll at once. One guy actually busted his head open on an exposed metal bolt, rolling near the edge. Not so great. But the instruction was pretty good, I think, and the students felt tougher than ones at my old gym. Then again I'm horribly horribly out of shape and don't remember poo poo.

Overall it was good and beggars can't be choosers, so I'll probably be back tomorrow night for no-gi.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Jeremor posted:

My old gym also did like 10 mins of work outs/warm ups. New gym does none of that.

This is the way.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

Ohtori Akio posted:

A couple weeks ago I did a trial class at a BJJ gym. Got told that white belts don't get to roll with each other except under supervision or if they know each other well already. During rounds, ended up with one white belt, who got a quick lecture before rolling with me, and had several color belts staring at us as we rolled.

I did leave that round with a good size bruise but that felt like a great approach, if you've got the color belts to support it. I was learning much much more rolling with the color belts anyways.

Hell yeah, keep at it!

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

I've had trial students throw absolute fits when I tell them no rolling for first two weeks.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.

heeebrew posted:

I've had trial students throw absolute fits when I tell them no rolling for first two weeks.

lol imagine if you told the trial kickboxer they could go ham before learning anything. Grappling breaks people’s brains because there is no striking they just think it’s safe.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Your gym your rules, but that seems excessive. Honestly we just give new guys to our most experienced dudes and see what their attitudes are like, after three rolls we can generally tell if theyre gonna be a harm to themselves or others. By the second class new people are pretty much rolling in gen pop.

Edit: its good practice for the experienced dudes to practice rule 1. Defend yourself at all times.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Feb 7, 2024

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

heeebrew posted:

Two weeks, assuming hobbyist scheduling, is only like 8-12 hours. That's basically asking someone to do a first day orientation. Maybe a good screener for attitude...

Most gyms I've trained at, new guys get specific training during rolling and no subs. Seems like a good compromise

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Little do the new white belts realize, but when I spend our first few standing rounds just letting them work, I'm not only focusing more on neither of us getting hurt, I'm also able to devote more mental energy to learning their habits, instincts, and preferred takedowns. Once I actually start to attack I already know a lot about their game, and I end up seeming better at stand up than I would have if we just came out blind and went to work. :ssh:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Yeah this guy is notorious for being stubborn about tapping. No idea why. It's just his personal win condition I guess - I may have gotten ragdolled for a round but I didn't tap! Weird guy to grapple with and just doesn't learn some things. The kind of guy who will sell out for a bad buggy choke and won't let go even if he has to endure a shin on the bridge of his nose for 2 minutes. We got our blue belts at the same time and he's still a blue belt while I'm 4 stripes on purple. Two guys who were white belts when he was blue are brown belts now.

He wasn't working an escape or anything, if anything just no selling it hoping that I'd decide I didn't have it on properly and let it go.

For my own part in joint locks I typically tap to position more than anything. Is my arm trapped? Did my one escape attempt get me anything? No need to extend it, I'll tap now.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Ohtori Akio posted:

BJJ ftw!

Chansey
Jan 18, 2024

Starkebn can clarify if I'm wrong on this, but I think at our gym for anything sparring related, you have to a 1 stripe white belt? Situational in-class drills/rounds are a thing they can do, but there's a coach there keeping an eye on them, etc.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
Off-topic but is there a thread like this but for boxing? I can't seem to find anything like that and I have a question about gloves.

edit: I think I figured it out (the problem, not the thread)

Sherbert Hoover fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Feb 8, 2024

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
There is or was a boxing training thread, I recall it had a long running sub title of "keep your drat hands up!", but it has/had a lot less activity.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
There’s a general martial arts thread with a very broad but pretty thin experience across a lot of different arts. I’m one of the more active striking with gloves on posters, and even there it’s kickboxing and not boxing gloves.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3790003&perpage=40&pagenumber=1&noseen=

At least one of the posters in the boxing sport thread is very experienced in it as well.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

a fantastically small grown man almost took my arm home with him tuesday after I left it out during an escape, thinking I could probably just curl him if I got in trouble. i could not! bjj works! I'm icing my elbow as I type!

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Defenestrategy posted:

https://imgur.com/a/yQ6etFF

As promised for reference, I just got back from alterations and to reach 15cm from the wrist theyre removing like 5cm.

Excuse my hosed up camera.

lol

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Green Toad posted:

Starkebn can clarify if I'm wrong on this, but I think at our gym for anything sparring related, you have to a 1 stripe white belt? Situational in-class drills/rounds are a thing they can do, but there's a coach there keeping an eye on them, etc.

Yes, no free rolling until 1st white stripe which is about 20 classes. I run the fundamentals class with the situational sparring at whatever intensity they're comfortable with which is plenty enough for anybody starting out. I don't want to babysit every newbie so they don't try and twist someone's arm out of the socket because they saw a kimura in the UFC. They can just try and make whatever they just learnt in class work.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Not wrong.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Tonight while we were rolling at the gym, one of the cops brought a blue gun and randomly threw it on the ground by people.

Out of 5 gun rounds I was only killed by another person once. One other time I shot the both of us all to gently caress.

I highly recommend this activity for comedy rounds.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

I SCREAMED at a kid trying to spike a kid out of armbar attempt. Jesus loving christ. I do the two week no rolling rule because we are 75% people who are brand new (I teach at a university club). Don't really have enough advanced guys to work with them. I have one purple belt lol.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

heeebrew posted:

I SCREAMED at a kid trying to spike a kid out of armbar attempt. Jesus loving christ. I do the two week no rolling rule because we are 75% people who are brand new (I teach at a university club). Don't really have enough advanced guys to work with them. I have one purple belt lol.

Reminds me of when we were doing doomsday drills once prepping for a comp and I was stuck in a dude's guard, so I stood up with him on me and the guy playing mock ref said "no slams" so I sadly knelt back down.

The rules about rank requirements for rolling are kinda odd to me. If a coach is watching let newbies roll? One place I visited didn't allow people to roll until blue belt. I feel like you learn so much when you go live and I'm glad the gym I attend allows everyone to roll.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

One of the guys I train with at the Judo gym did very well at a local tournament, I asked him about what the ruleset was and he was in novice division[Green belt and below] at weight, apparently they didn't allow armbars at all in that division, that division encompases from what I can tell people who have been doing judo between two and three years and that made me giggle.

edit 2: I also learned white and blue gi's are the only thing allowed and dudes have to go shirtless. Judo is weird man.

I dunno I think people need to be rolling as early as possible, if for no other reason than it's the funnest thing about jits and if you want to keep dudes interested making them flow roll or drill for a long time, I feel would make people bored.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Feb 10, 2024

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Defenestrategy posted:

if you want to keep dudes interested making them flow roll or drill for a long time, I feel would make people bored.

starkebn posted:

situational sparring at whatever intensity they're comfortable with. They can just try and make whatever they just learnt in class work.

These are two different things. They're trying to make what they learnt in class work for real against a resisting partner.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Defenestrategy posted:

One of the guys I train with at the Judo gym did very well at a local tournament, I asked him about what the ruleset was and he was in novice division[Green belt and below] at weight, apparently they didn't allow armbars at all in that division, that division encompases from what I can tell people who have been doing judo between two and three years and that made me giggle.

edit 2: I also learned white and blue gi's are the only thing allowed and dudes have to go shirtless. Judo is weird man.

I dunno I think people need to be rolling as early as possible, if for no other reason than it's the funnest thing about jits and if you want to keep dudes interested making them flow roll or drill for a long time, I feel would make people bored.

Judo also has you standing up doing intense takedowns from early on right? They're closely related arts but I imagine they'll each be relatively more comfortable with the elements they drill heavily.

The no shirts allowed thing is weird though lol.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Ohtori Akio posted:

Judo also has you standing up doing intense takedowns from early on right? They're closely related arts but I imagine they'll each be relatively more comfortable with the elements they drill heavily.

The no shirts allowed thing is weird though lol.

Yea, but ground work should be apart of a Judo curriculum if only because judges are stingy with Ippon.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Defenestrategy posted:

Yea, but ground work should be apart of a Judo curriculum if only because judges are stingy with Ippon.

I get that. Seems like an educational approach thing then? Like, for a different art but maybe similar educational approach, at my (low) rank in kendo they are teaching me the fundamentals of how to do a particular riskier technique, but there's a super strict norm against me doing it in free sparring or at a competition until much later (a couple years from now, if rank goes smoothly). Something can be a core part of the curriculum and a particular art just not want to deal with beginners doing it with competition nerves.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

Defenestrategy posted:

Also judo throws are really hard to pull off against someone trained to resist them, so considering how often throws fail and tori goes to the ground, it's important for uke to be able to seize on that without thinking.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
That's how my local tournaments are; brown amd black belts are in the "advanced" division and can use joint locks, everyone else is in novice division and can only throw, pin, and choke.

Nonetheless, even though I'm only a yellow belt my Judo Sensei just taught me a bunch of Juji (armbar) stuff tonight because I asked for it and she knows I do BJJ. She has a very sharp ground game, she said her first Sensei loved ground work so it wasn't uncommon for her to do hundreds of arm bar repetitions every class back in the 1970s. Her preferred setup from guard is to start with a triangle and really sell that, then switch to the armbar with both legs on the head and the feet crossed and very tight on the head. In fact, "tightness" might be her one word summary of the arm bar - if you have their arm tight to your body, and your legs tight on their head, they're not stacking and they're not getting out. She won nationals one year with Juji, it's her specialty, so I'm really appreciating the new perspective she's giving me.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
My dojo teaches everything to white belts, excepting certain throws that may be too advanced for them, during which the sensei finds something else for them to do. We also practice some leg grab techniques and defenses even though they aren't tournament-legal anymore.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Sherbert Hoover posted:

We also practice some leg grab techniques and defenses even though they aren't tournament-legal anymore.

Bless your Sensei, doing the Lord's work

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

When my judo coach wants to teach its always ouchi into something else. You would assume that by now I would have a good ouchi at this point, and you would be dead wrong. Otherwise we just get the crash mats out and you're allowed to practice what you want with the coach putting in feedback. Everyone else just does what they're shown in the other classes and I'm the problem child trying to figure out Yama Arashi, Front Uchimata, and Harai Tsurikomi Ashi.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
I feel like I've spent so much time learning various throws and turnovers that I'm pretty good at each of them, but we've gone back to the basics so few times that I feel like something fundamental still hasn't clicked about kuzushi. I'm constantly trying to throw or trip someone standing on very solid ground and hoping they somehow gently caress up and end up on the ground where I'm decent.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Got in some more Mongolian bokh last week. Vincent was out in Inner Mongolia for a month training at a pro gym, and his game and sensibilities have definitely shifted a bit, even to my untrained sense.
We did an hour's worth of warmup and grip setting and breaking drills, then spent 30min taking turns going on offense. The last 20min or so were freeform wrestling.

Some gif highlights --

not paying any attention to the threat and getting leg tripped

While Vincent was the most turned to me after his probing attack, and while I had a belt grip on him, I figured I'd try to heist him up and bring him back over my thigh. Had nowhere near the lift I needed

My jodog kept riding up over my spare tire, while you want it tight enough so that it mostly stays at your waist. You can even strategically use your belly to occlude a straight shot at your belt. I just need to twist the cinching leather strap around itself more to keep it tight. Or maybe wear a shirt to add more friction, though that's less formal.
Having your jodog high and looser means they can more easily reach over your shoulder to secure that grip behind your upper arm. There's a specific way you fold the jodog in storage to keep that flap tucked tighter to your body.

Getting stumbled around but making one focused effort to counter offbalance

After getting my head caught under his chest, I slowly push back and try to stand up, putting pressure on him and catching a belt grip. When he does release, I try to follow that into a outside leg trip

I didn't commit as much as I could have. It comes from my sanshou background, where you try to stay on your feet for every throw. And thus I'm not used to committing everything into one attack, which is what you want to do in bokh, since that will win you the match (or get you devastatingly countered).

Overall, I loved the session. I stopped worrying about specific grip positions but fell on thinking about whether I was in a bad position or a livable one. And if it wasn't bad, to not randomly try to switch to better grips. Earlier on, I was able to stay a lot heavier on my hips and push my weight forward more effectively. But by the time we got video, I was pretty shot and could tell I was just standing up and being an easier mark to push/sling around.
I got more comfortable with hand fighting spatial awareness and timing, though I still held back a bit on attacking for grips, out of fear of flat out gouging into Vincent's arms with my fingernails.

The full video if no one has anything better to do.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95zZwv3OngY

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

tried out another bjj gym, and wow it's perfect. Great instruction, large mat space, no bullshit. It's got the feel I was looking for and a nice group of people. I'm really psyched to get my wind back and start learning again.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Jeremor posted:

tried out another bjj gym, and wow it's perfect. Great instruction, large mat space, no bullshit. It's got the feel I was looking for and a nice group of people. I'm really psyched to get my wind back and start learning again.

Good work goon, put the work in.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Jeremor posted:

Do it up. Don't go crazy though if you've been out for a while. Ease your way back in over a few weeks-- your body will thank you for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
If you actually bothered with checking out multiple gyms then getting a great one is your richly deserved reward; it's one of those things that's easier to suggest than to do.

Awesome, can't wait to hear more after you've done some more classes.

I rolled "playfully" last night and it's notable that I not only didn't do much worse than normal, I may have done better. 10/10 would stop responding to white belt ferocity again.