Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I've shopped at Wuxtry a bunch in Athens, but the last 2-3 times have barely found anything in my odd tastes. Fortunately, Low Yo Yo Stuff is one street up and a few blocks west. It has a nice discount section out front and I'm really not bothered by a couple of minor pops on a record. Wuxtry's stuff is always quality, but they're stocking more and more re-releases and they all cost more than I'm willing to pay.

Somehow, it's even more cramped than Wuxtry in there.

CDs are both Brian Wilson solo albums. Actually, one was with Van Dyke Parks. I don't think either were originally released on vinyl. If they haven't since been, I imagine somebody will eventually realize they can cash in on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

steckles posted:

My wallet would not have survived if I found myself in there.

Anyway, finally managed to pick this up for a price I was willing to pay:

for me that was the one album I was willing to pick up at pretty much any price. was $50 which was really not bad but was topped with a $30 shipping charge. it went out of print soon after and a year after someone messaged me on Discogs offering nearly $200. couldnt do it. glad it's back in print

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

EL BROMANCE posted:

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/e3works-vinyl-cd-r-50-disc-spindle

Yeah that's exactly what this is, there were a whole bunch of them from different companies. It's just a gimmick.

I had a bunch of these that friends gave me during their heyday. I also have some Mars Volta promo that is a cd/vinyl hybrid that I got when I bought the Bedlam in Goliath. I don’t think I ever listened to it.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

One of these days I'll pick up Sing to God, but I neeeeeeeeeeeeeeed a copy of the Songs for Ships and Irons compilation.

EDIT: Putting out Special OceanLand World on Vinyl is where it's really at.

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Dec 21, 2021

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Read After Burning posted:

How's your head hand?

Quite well, I played a record for the first time in 16 days tonight! Still got a ways to go before it’s back to normal but dexterity is improving. Thank you for asking!

jiffypop45 posted:

I have this cd that looks like it might have a record on one side? I can't tell and don't want to risk my stylus to find out. Anyone know anything about it?

I have a bunch of these, some by Verbatim, a big cake by another manufacturer. Strictly decorative

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

Glad I didn't run it through my tt then. Thanks everyone!

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
Vinyl Me Please isn't terrible for the next 3 months.

Jan - SIGUR RÓS - Ágætis Byrjun
Feb - GRIMES - Visions
Mar - MODEST MOUSE - The Lonesome Crowded West

I've been swapping quite a bit this year, so nice to see some stuff I'd actually like on the main track.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

midge posted:

Feb - GRIMES - Visions

I've been swapping quite a bit this year, so nice to see some stuff I'd actually like on the main track.

That Sigur Ros new pressing was supposed to come out back in May, and it kept on getting pushed further and further back. Has it come out yet? Or can we only get it through Vinyl Me Please?

yeah ok ok yeah
May 2, 2016

midge posted:

Feb - GRIMES - Visions

i have never heard of VMP before and this looks amazing... but it's so expensive for international buyers :negative: this is why i stick to used record stores and garage sales, and which is why i'll never own city pop records, hahaha

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

yeah ok ok yeah posted:

i have never heard of VMP before and this looks amazing... but it's so expensive for international buyers :negative: this is why i stick to used record stores and garage sales, and which is why i'll never own city pop records, hahaha

VMP is dumb anyway unless you want to pay a 50% markup for poo poo you can easily get anywhere because the disc is a fun color.

Sometimes they have exclusive reissues I guess.

yeah ok ok yeah
May 2, 2016

disc colours are hella fun! i am just not willing to pay 50% mark-up for it.

(it's like $40-50CDN per record, depending on subscription options)

yeah ok ok yeah fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Dec 21, 2021

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
Snack crates, japanese stationery, wrestling blind boxes, all kinds of hobby subscription boxes are dumb. This is just one for records....and honestly, I'd be hard pressed to find any of the records I've received over the last 12 months for less than their price on discogs with postage, etc included. Not to mention the usual griping in this thread over quality issues from resellers, etc.

midge fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Dec 21, 2021

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

midge posted:

Snack crates, japanese stationery, wrestling blind boxes, all kinds of hobby subscription boxes are dumb. This is just one for records....and honestly, I'd be hard pressed to find any of the records I've received over the last 12 months for less than their price on discogs with postage, etc included. Not to mention the usual griping in this thread over quality issues from resellers, etc.

VMP got way too expensive for me and their quality control has taken a major nosedive from what I hear but I used to occasionally subscribe back in the day. I would usually check a record's going rate on discogs to see if it was worth it. Got burned a few times when a plain rear end reissue would show up on Amazon or some poo poo a month later for half the price

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

midge posted:

Pressed, you say?

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

CPL593H posted:

VMP is dumb anyway unless you want to pay a 50% markup for poo poo you can easily get anywhere because the disc is a fun color.

Sometimes they have exclusive reissues I guess.

Yeah, I just got the Claudia Thompson album from them and that is a true VMP exclusive and is fantastic.

VMP used to be great, but their price increases and drop in quality control makes it harder and harder to justify subscribing to them. I’m grandfathered in at the old rate until June but after that, I’m probably out.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
is it an exclusive repress of LCW or is there a wide release coming

soupy.
Jun 2, 2019

Bought my first two vinyl records in probably over a decade.

They came with codes that I don't need, so here they are!:

Soul Glo - The N;gga In Me Is Me (srarecords.bandcamp.com/yum 9qhe-kf89)(left album)
Soul Glo - Untitled LP (bandcamp.com/yum 9f9p-wb7w)(right album)

soupy. fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Dec 24, 2021

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

man i want the succession score on vinyl but i dont even want to look

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

soupy. posted:

Bought my first two vinyl records in probably over a decade.

They came with codes that I don't need, so here they are!:

Soul Glo - The N;gga In Me Is Me (srarecords.bandcamp.com/yum 9qhe-kf89)(left album)
Soul Glo - Untitled LP (bandcamp.com/yum 9f9p-wb7w)(right album)

I snagged the Untitled LP code. Thank you soupy..

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.
Speaking of purty colors, I got an early Christmas present from my best friend:

I'm just missing Inspectah Deck's first LP now.

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

It's finally here.

Please excuse my beautiful carpet stains.

Eat The Rich fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Dec 23, 2021

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Castor Poe posted:

Why are you grabbing the playing surface and do you have asbestosis?

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
Spent too much at the record store the other day. Although, even knowing discogs isn’t necessarily a good indicator of actual cost, seems like we got a couple good deals. The Ella Christmas album goes for $100+ and the guy was selling it for $20. Wish You Were Here was $5 because of “condition issues” but plays perfectly.

Christmas Charlie Brown was a gift from a friend and it’s a really good jazz album. :shobon:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Castor Poe posted:

:siren:YOU TOUCHED THE PLAYING SURFACE:siren:

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

BigFactory posted:

Why are you grabbing the playing surface and do you have asbestosis?

Sorry for posting a picture of a record. Jesus Christ lol

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Castor Poe posted:

Sorry for posting a picture of a record. Jesus Christ lol

Not touching the playing surface is pretty much rule number one. You're getting all kinds of grease and oils from your hands on the disc which can damage it and isn't particularly good for the stylus either.

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

I stopped buying records for my dad when he grabbed the surface with his whole hand and tried to put it on the spindle of his Bluetooth-enabled Crosley player like a loose cd in a cd drive. Just sliding it around.

No respect, nyuk nyuk nyuk

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

CPL593H posted:

Not touching the playing surface is pretty much rule number one. You're getting all kinds of grease and oils from your hands on the disc which can damage it and isn't particularly good for the stylus either.

poo poo, alright. I didnt know that. Thanks.To my defense, I got into the hobby a couple months ago :shrug:

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Castor Poe posted:

poo poo, alright. I didnt know that. Thanks.To my defense, I got into the hobby a couple months ago :shrug:

I touch the playing surface all the time. Been collecting for 30 years. It's not the worst thing.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Castor Poe posted:

It’s ok but I would get your lungs checked out after the holidays.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

sporklift posted:

I touch the playing surface all the time. Been collecting for 30 years. It's not the worst thing.

:siren::siren::siren::siren:

You're right. The worst thing is YOU.

Eat The Rich posted:

I stopped buying records for my dad when he grabbed the surface with his whole hand and tried to put it on the spindle of his Bluetooth-enabled Crosley player like a loose cd in a cd drive. Just sliding it around.

No respect, nyuk nyuk nyuk

Actually, no. It's this poster's dad.

Jesus wept.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

jiffypop45 posted:

I have this cd that looks like it might have a record on one side? I can't tell and don't want to risk my stylus to find out. Anyone know anything about it?

I have The Mars Volta's "Candy and a Currant Bun" which has a playable vinyl side on it

yeah ok ok yeah
May 2, 2016

lmao, yeah, you shouldn't touch the playing surfaces of records/CDs/tapes, etc... but the reactions are pretty good.

this...

...would actually be a pretty fantastic troll for the thread.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
I've forgotten who it was, but we had someone trolling by posting his new finds in places like in kitty litter and other gross/bad places.

I'd do a troll picture of showing my collection and having all unsleeved vinyl stacked and stored together separately from the sleeves, but it would be way too much work.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Uh, you're not supposed to throw away the outer cardboard wrapper and just put the record on your storage spindle?

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
You guys open your records?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

stealie72 posted:

Uh, you're not supposed to throw away the outer cardboard wrapper and just put the record on your storage spindle?

I throw away the cardboard and store the albums in my Crosley.

Each one only holds 10 albums though, so I'm running out of floor space to fit more jukeboxes.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Don't have to store your records if you throw 'em out and buy a new one after each listen. :colbert:

Two Christmas gifts from my partner (excuse the lack of sheets on the bed, we were doing laundry):

I guess these are Greek versions, as one of them came with this printout with promo text:

pwn posted:

Quite well, I played a record for the first time in 16 days tonight! Still got a ways to go before it’s back to normal but dexterity is improving. Thank you for asking!

Yay! Let me know if you have a Paypal, Venmo, or GoFundMe set up for the healing process/medical costs, I can't send a lot but I feel like doing a good deed for Christmas.

(Unless you're a Euro goon, in which case you should mail me some of your free healthcare.)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Of course, you gotta check what color it is before you hang it on the wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I bought Boris' Flood, which they finally put on vinyl, and then I bought it again because now there's a blue one