Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Going back a few pages -- it's fascinating when you compare the level of nuance in dialogue choices between DAI and MEA.

You get a real ability to define how the Inquisitor feels about drat near everything in the game, from religion to homosexuality to your relationships with your companions. Like, take Dorian. You can be:

1. Dorian's lover
2. Dorian's best friend
3. Dorian's best friend who flirts with him sometimes
4. Dorian's friend who agrees with him on a lot of things
5. Dorian's friend who calls him out on slavery and other Tevinter-related topics
6. Kind of neutral on Dorian
7. Hostile to Dorian
8. Hostile to Dorian to the point where you slug him in the face
9. Hostile to Dorian to the point where you never let him in the group

Meanwhile with, say, Liam in ME:A, you can be:

1. Liam's lover
2. Liam's best friend
3. Liam's best friend who sometimes goes "oh, you!" when he almost gets you killed

and that carries over into every topic. You can explore so much in DAI and in ME:A you're limited to varieties of ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ApplesandOranges posted:

The idea seems to be that the Templars of the official circles have had lyrium use so heavily indoctrinated into them that most are dependent on it. Alistair was never an official templar, so he escaped most of the addiction.

As for whether or not it's actually needed for templar powers, I'm not sure there's been any official retcon on that. Fenris is the closest example of lyrium = anti-magic powers.

Iirc Alistair mentions he never even took lyrium because he joined the Wardens before finishing his training, and obviously he can still use the Templar powers.

I'm pretty sure you do need Lyrium to use them though and that they retconned that

exquisite tea posted:

I love how in Origins you can traverse all of Ferelden for 50 hours saying "no blood magic no no very bad" and then you meet ONE random guy who's like "but seriously my dude have you tried blood magic" and still go, "hm yeah, now that you mention it why not????"

Blood Magic isn't forbidden by the Wardens, though that's not a fact they like to publicize for obvious reasons. But basically they're allowed to do anything to win. Hell what they did in Inquistion isn't even really against the tenets of their order. If it hadn't been for the fact that Cory stole the purpose of their ritual then there would be no reason why what they did was wrong from their perspective at least

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Nov 2, 2017

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Could it be about the dosage? Maybe they need some lyrium, but are intentionally made to overdose, so their bodies become used to needing that much... or something. Kind of like with coffee, drink a cup each morning and you'll be fine, but come to rely on it to keep you going through the day and you'll be a wreck without it.

The fact that the player is chugging lyrium potions by the dozens with no ill effect is probably just a gameplay constraint.

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Nov 2, 2017

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Avalerion posted:

Could it be about the dosage? Maybe they need some lyrium, but are intentionally made to overdose, so their bodies become used to needing that much... or something. Kind of like with coffee, drink a cup each morning and you'll be fine, but come to rely on it to keep you going through the day and you'll be a wreck without it.

Well Alistair says he never took Lyrium at all iirc. And he can still do Templar stuff. But I think Bioware rethought this because later games have people like Cullen saying that if they don't take Lyrium they aren't Templars any more. So who knows.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Maybe it's more like hyper addictive communion wine

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Ginette Reno posted:

Well Alistair says he never took Lyrium at all iirc. And he can still do Templar stuff. But I think Bioware rethought this because later games have people like Cullen saying that if they don't take Lyrium they aren't Templars any more. So who knows.

Alistair probably has a girlfriend who lives in Orlais so you uh, probably wouldn't know her, too.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

exquisite tea posted:

Alistair probably has a girlfriend who lives in Orlais so you uh, probably wouldn't know her, too.

I thought Cailan was the one with the girlfriend in Orlais :v:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Listen the point is that Alistair is a capital b BETA and probably brags about his gearscore online to other Wardens even though they know he's a noob casual who still wears the pre-order deluxe edition armor.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Ginette Reno posted:

Iirc Alistair mentions he never even took lyrium because he joined the Wardens before finishing his training, and obviously he can still use the Templar powers.

I'm pretty sure you do need Lyrium to use them though and that they retconned that

Blood Magic isn't forbidden by the Wardens, though that's not a fact they like to publicize for obvious reasons. But basically they're allowed to do anything to win. Hell what they did in Inquistion isn't even really against the tenets of their order. If it hadn't been for the fact that Cory stole the purpose of their ritual then there would be no reason why what they did was wrong from their perspective at least

Well, even Wardens are probably not big on the idea of slaughtering each other to lead an army of demons on a mission that could very well start up two Blights. They have SOME limits.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

exquisite tea posted:

Listen the point is that Alistair is a capital b BETA and probably brags about his gearscore online to other Wardens even though they know he's a noob casual who still wears the pre-order deluxe edition armor.

True. Loghain is the true Alpha male. Loghain forever.

Geostomp posted:

Well, even Wardens are probably not big on the idea of slaughtering each other to lead an army of demons on a mission that could very well start up two Blights. They have SOME limits.

The limits really depends on the Warden but nothing in their rules would preclude such an insane mission if they thought it would work. It's not like the Circle or Chantry where Blood Magic= bad bad. It's do whatever to solve the Blight and apologize for any bad poo poo later. Not the best approach maybe, but it's what they do.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
With the Seekers you can see that you can have Templar powers without Lyrium. Though I guess it's hard to see how Alistair or the Warden can be a seeker.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Fangz posted:

With the Seekers you can see that you can have Templar powers without Lyrium. Though I guess it's hard to see how Alistair or the Warden can be a seeker.

On the other hand it is kind of hilarious to think that somehow Alistair picked up the ability to make someone tranquil and reverse it and is just casually doing it to a bunch of people without realizing.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Fangz posted:

That is true though how close their abilities are supposed to be to Templars is a matter of speculation I suppose. I'm pretty sure Cass just has that kit because Bioware didn't feel like making a skill tree just for her. But in dialogue with her she mentions having some different abilities from Templars.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Ginette Reno posted:

That is true though how close their abilities are supposed to be to Templars is a matter of speculation I suppose. I'm pretty sure Cass just has that kit because Bioware didn't feel like making a skill tree just for her. But in dialogue with her she mentions having some different abilities from Templars.

Would have been nice to have that "set the lyrium in opponent's blood on fire" trick Cassandra says she can do on enemy mages and templars, agreed. That's one of the relatively few things I miss from DAII: unique powers for companions.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Isn't the process for becoming a Seeker much like being made Tranquil, except you sit alone and think about stuff for a really long time instead of getting lobotomized?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Yea, and then a spirit comes along and heals them giving the powers in the process.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

Isn't the process for becoming a Seeker much like being made Tranquil, except you sit alone and think about stuff for a really long time instead of getting lobotomized?

No, it’s actually becoming Tranquil. They just spend years in training before that point so that they’re just so faithful that after the process, a spirit of faith comes to them and restores their emotions. It only started being used on mages when one tried and failed to become a Seeker, resulting in them realizing that what was once just a price for failure to Seekers also took away a mage’s power. They then lied about it and killed anyone who found out the truth for a thousand years. At least until one Tranquil researcher accidentally stumbled on the cure through independent research and had it broadcast too publicially for them to hope to cover it up.

The Lord Seeker at the time kept trying to cover up to the point where he deliberately began the conflict that lead to the Mage/Templar War beginning.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Discovering that Seekers knew exactly what the gently caress they were doing for years and covered it all up actually causes a major crisis of faith for Cassandra

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Pattonesque posted:

Going back a few pages -- it's fascinating when you compare the level of nuance in dialogue choices between DAI and MEA.

You get a real ability to define how the Inquisitor feels about drat near everything in the game, from religion to homosexuality to your relationships with your companions. Like, take Dorian. You can be:

I'm sure you're right in comparison with ME:A, but I have to say I did not feel that Inquisition gave me very much scope at all for shaping my Inquisitor, who had to go along with all the main missions and sounded earnest at all times. I had fun replaying both DAO and DA2 with a scheming arsehole protagonist, but that really doesn't work as well in Inquisition. Relationships with companions is the only thing you have much control over, and even there you don't actually get much to say.

I expect that's partly a result of having a voiced protagonist, but I think DA2 did a better job of giving distinctly and consistently different response options despite that.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I feel like Hawke was more constraining than the Inquisitor. With the Inquisitor, at least you have a variety of origins and even voices to choose from which would define your background and outlook. With Hawke it was just "You're always Hawke, you always have these siblings, and these are always your goals no matter what."

The friendship/rivalry system was cool though.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
The Inquisitor's backstories were vague and had no bearing on the game itself which annoyed me after Origins and DA2 let you get a lot of reactions from the story. The Cousland origin turned DAO into a revenge story; DA2's origin drove the whole game. DAI? "LOL i blew up a bridge once so rad"

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I think there's a difference between a character's backstory shaping the character and that backstory shaping the plot. When I played four different DA:I playthroughs, I definitely felt like I had four different characters with four different mindsets and goals in mind; they all went through the same plot, but there was a variety of ways for them to react to it.

With DA2? I didn't even feel like my male Hawke was all that different from a female one.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

HIJK posted:

The Inquisitor's backstories were vague and had no bearing on the game itself which annoyed me after Origins and DA2 let you get a lot of reactions from the story. The Cousland origin turned DAO into a revenge story; DA2's origin drove the whole game. DAI? "LOL i blew up a bridge once so rad"

You think? I played a dwarf in both DAO and DAI and I feel my background was referenced way more in the latter than the former. Like, I'm pretty sure just about every companion, adviser, and even a lot of minor and background characters acknowledged my race, my carta background, and even my last name

DAO definitely had at least one "moment" that felt special depending on your origin during the treaties main quest, but the rest of the game mostly ignored your background

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

With DA2? I didn't even feel like my male Hawke was all that different from a female one.

Well I like that; the alternative is what, sex roles?

But concentrating on 'diplo/good' responses or on 'sarcastic/humorous' ones made the character feel very different.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Wrong thread

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Ginette Reno posted:

True. Loghain is the true Alpha male. Loghain forever.

I really like that Loghain can survive every game. That has to become a thing in every DA game, that somehow Loghain can always survive to the next one.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Loghain/Alistair/Leliana/Zevran can always survive, but Morrigan always survives.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

WarpDogs posted:

You think? I played a dwarf in both DAO and DAI and I feel my background was referenced way more in the latter than the former. Like, I'm pretty sure just about every companion, adviser, and even a lot of minor and background characters acknowledged my race, my carta background, and even my last name

DAO definitely had at least one "moment" that felt special depending on your origin during the treaties main quest, but the rest of the game mostly ignored your background

I noticed in DAO that really only Dwarves knew or cared about the former Lord Aeducan/Warden Aeducan. I just figured it was the human's not knowing or caring much about dwarf society in general. Might have been a writing shorcut but I always felt a plausible one. Those parts where you return to your land of origin are the most you will hear about it. I am happy Inquisition makes a big deal about my Dalish Mage. I have a feeling other origins will be a bit of a letdown after this.

So yeah.... I'm level 22 now and still haven't done wicked hearts. Jaws of Hakon and half of deep roads are my only unexplored regions left. Got the level 21 and 23 dragon left in Emprise. How much of the game do I have left after Wicked Hearts? I'm going to miss this game.

So Fade Obsidian/Onyx guard adding to weapons talk.
So been playing around with it. That one goon was right that it can be tweaked to a little on the cheesy side. Have a mage with a fade touched obsidian weapon. Adds 3 guard/hit. Base guard. Worth about a couple of regular hits or a stealth/giant hit. Takes a little to build but all you need to do is just uses your staff attacks. Not that long but still can be easy for your ranged guys. Again, takes a bit to build and its only really going to save your mage for an extra second until you can get someone to taunt/put up a barrier.
Cole. He's awesome and I am in love with dagger rogues. Squishy but lots of fun. One dagger with adding guard? Not at all cheesy. Guys in melee and it pretty much just helps him soak a hit every so often. Like the mage its only worth a hit, two or three depending on mob. Since Cole is in close combat it tends to drop as fast as it builds. Base guard. It will never be as big or as replenishing as a warriors. Put this same thing on a warrior and ... Iron Bull is just fine as a main solo tank. Just might have to toss in a barrier every so often. Blackwall or Cass? Set tank to auto and just let them go. Every once in a while you will have to make sure they are keeping aggro, but they are not going down unless you really gently caress up. All this is fine. So where is the cheese?
You can add a piece to each weapon. Also your armour. So my mage with the staff? Gave them a dragon mage armour with some fade obsidian. I'm adding 6 guard a hit. It stacks. I figured it wouldn't be THAT bad but yeah.... its cheesy. My guard is terrible but I'm building it so fast that the last dragon didnt hurt me. As in between barrier and guard I never lost one bit of health. Solas with only the one guard building on his staff got hit hard a couple of times but did not die. I can imagine if I gave Cole two daggers and a jacket that gave guard he would essentially stay in god mode. Wolvercole? ColePool?

So if any goon works for BW please don't take away guard building with items. Not cheesy and comparing it to the tanks version is just silly. Items giving guard shouldn't stack though. Maybe make it main hand weapon only if you need an easy way to get around it.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Von_Doom posted:

How much of the game do I have left after Wicked Hearts? I'm going to miss this game.

Assuming you did Adamant already, you have 3 main quests left, though the second is quite short and the finale is disappointing. But then you can go on to Trespasser.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Oh dear me posted:

Assuming you did Adamant already, you have 3 main quests left, though the second is quite short and the finale is disappointing. But then you can go on to Trespasser.

Which is one really good conversation and loads and loads of pointless faffing with Qunari.

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
the virgin allistair vs. the chad loghain

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Taear posted:

Which is one really good conversation and loads and loads of pointless faffing with Qunari.

Yeah, the conversation you (can) have with Iron Bull towards the end is pretty awesome.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

How much does DAI change if you didn't have a kid with Morrigan?

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

omg chael crash posted:

The short penultimate main quest is fairly different.

I like it better without the child, but some people do seem to like Morrigan being maternal.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Her with the kid gives her character a better arc.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

omg chael crash posted:

The scene with Flemeth is a lot more out of the blue and Morrigan overall is a much less sympathetic character.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Spikeguy posted:

Strongly disagree, actually. Evil woman humanized by motherhood is a terrible cliché.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Another sacrifice

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

A post as dull and uninteresting as Kieran

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Spikeguy posted:

Strongly disagree, actually. Evil woman humanized by motherhood is a terrible cliché.

• Locked thread