Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

That was cruel having them identical looking while I was all complacent from mowing down hundreds of them on my way to fight the dancer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

HaB posted:

This is pretty much dark_souls_3_pvp.txt. You got lucky if only 1 of those 2 fights was a 3v1.

I was invading from the Exile area above the Farron Keep bonfire last night. SL30/+4. At least 80% gank squads hanging out at the Road of Sacrifices bonfire, and about half of those were giant seeded. The nice, narrow gauntlet to get up to that bonfire was a nice touch. I don't really care about HONORABRU duels, but I do prefer something resembling a fair fight, so for gank squads I'd just crystal out, and for anyone else I would Chameleon up somewhere and just wait. If I got a good duel out of it, great, otherwise - I'd get my tongue because the level would eventually do them in.

If you manage to get a 3v1 who is actually playing through the level - use the giant crabs. At least that will balance the odds somewhat. They are super hard to kill anyway, hit like a truck, and provide a useful distraction while you're flinging fireballs.

yeah, on my first guy when the game was at launch, the swamp wasn't a defacto pvp clusterfuck zone yet, so if you did purple or red invasions there (i ground out a fair amount of bones and tongues in the swamp on my first dude) you had pretty good odds of just getting regular pvp match-ups. now though, i don't know how lucky you'd have to be to get an invasion where you aren't facing 3v1 in the swamp, because anyone that's sitting around in ember form is looking for a fight at this point.

i don't even care about that though, i was just mad that the host didn't do anything at all but run off and then resummon the same two phantoms once i had killed them. he took no effort to even try and backstab me or drop attack me while i was busy with his buds or whatever. the first DLC seriously needs to patch the game so that a host can no longer summon additional phantoms once invaded, outside of wotb auto-summons.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Co-op Yhorm really is tremendous fun. Best run was when the host summoned two of us, Yhorm got entirely battered, and we both managed to do a perfectly synchronized Stretch Out right next to each other. Not even planned. It was very silly.

Archdragon Peak is cool. Very tough for me because I am bad at lizardmen, but I got to the main boss and I got to the altar and ashes, so I got everything I wanted really. Thingy wyvern was an interesting fight. Cleared evyerthing out the first time, using all my Estus, finally spotted the ladder, flubbed the jump and splattered. Second time I just ran for the ladder, only two lizardmen were still interested, and this time I didn't miss.

Also Hawkwood is an rear end. In the end I resorted to going full pyromancer, Dusk Crown, Witch's Ring, Fire Clutch, Lloyd's Sword Ring (does that work with magic?) the less FP consumption ring, seven Ashen Estus, and a pile of Undead Hunter Talismans. Still took a couple of goes, but eventually he took so many Chaos Bed Vestiges to the face that he died. The rear end.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Digirat posted:

What would make that hard to do on a no death run? There's a bit of menu fu to equip it in the fight, sure, but the boss moves pretty slow so there's time to do it. I would expect all the unpredictable bosses to be the bane of no death runs instead, like dancer or the end boss

There's pretty much no menu-fu involved if you put all of your spare weapons into the storage box before you go fight him. He's really not very aggressive in the first phase.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

homeless poster posted:

yeah, on my first guy when the game was at launch, the swamp wasn't a defacto pvp clusterfuck zone yet, so if you did purple or red invasions there (i ground out a fair amount of bones and tongues in the swamp on my first dude) you had pretty good odds of just getting regular pvp match-ups. now though, i don't know how lucky you'd have to be to get an invasion where you aren't facing 3v1 in the swamp, because anyone that's sitting around in ember form is looking for a fight at this point.

i don't even care about that though, i was just mad that the host didn't do anything at all but run off and then resummon the same two phantoms once i had killed them. he took no effort to even try and backstab me or drop attack me while i was busy with his buds or whatever. the first DLC seriously needs to patch the game so that a host can no longer summon additional phantoms once invaded, outside of wotb auto-summons.

I don't mind them being able to summon more phantoms, but there should be an animation or something for it. As it stands now, you can literally be RUNNING and hit the buttons fast enough to get a new summon. They should make it like the black crystal animation or something so you can be staggered out of it.

But yeah - I've invaded plenty of people where the host doesn't engage me at all - he just runs away, re-summoning as needed while his phantoms dog me. It's not even a war of attrition at that point, since me and the host are the only ones on limited Estus at that point. But the host's become effectively unlimited if he can summon an inexhaustible supply of meat shields to throw in my way.

Speaking of another PvP complaint - the hitbox for the Dark Sword's jumping attack is so far disconnected from reality that I have no idea how it made it past the testers. It's almost big enough to be considered an AOE attack. :psyduck:

The R1 swings aren't much better.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

got 30 pale tongues, should I go for swordgrass or dregs next

SgtArseCandle
Sep 28, 2009

MZ posted:

The Dark Sword has got boring and all the cool looking STR weapons take way to much stamina and swing too slow to be useful (I just got the BKGA right after they nerfed it).

I want to respec out of STR and try a dex/luck/bleed/warden twinblade build, what's a good stat spread? I'm currently level 81 or so.

I'm in the same boat as this here good person. Anyone successfully running a bleed build? I've tried out a SL60 luck/dex/bleed build with warden twinblade and it was extremely inconsistent compared to my other SL60 glaive quality build which just wrecks everything in PVE and PVP. With the twinblades, sometimes I would demolish phantoms in a single combo, sometimes I would struggle a lot. It feels like I sacrifice a lot of raw damage for a chance of bleed, but even with the bleed it barely breaks even with the quality build. To a large degree I put this down to the fact that the range on the twinblades is just very short and before I can lay down the hits I get estocced/darksworded into Swiss cheese or cleaved in half by an UGS. Perhaps bleed builds become much more competitive at later levels with highly infused/reinforced hollow weapons? I want to like bleed builds because of reasons (fashion factor mostly) but it seems like the standard quality builds are just much more reliable and well rounded. Quite possibly I'm just rubbish at the game :(

I watched a few youtube videos of people using bleed builds at SL120 but I couldn't shake the feeling that every single case was a careful montage where the opponent was completely useless and just let themselves be combo bled to death.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Did they patch the Dancer/Swordmaster glitch? Tried last night and he got pounded into paste after the resummon.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

if you can't even solo the Dancer at lvl 30 then idk what to tell you

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

MZ posted:

The Dark Sword has got boring and all the cool looking STR weapons take way to much stamina and swing too slow to be useful (I just got the BKGA right after they nerfed it).

I want to respec out of STR and try a dex/luck/bleed/warden twinblade build, what's a good stat spread? I'm currently level 81 or so.

IMO get your dex to 40 and give your bleed weapons the sharp upgrade. Luck might be ok at 30, especially if you use Carthus Rouge. If you're going to a >100 level you might want to buff luck to 40 if you like PVP. The Warden Twinblade's an excellent choice, I'd suggest trying the Carthus Curved Sword (not the Curved Greatsword) out as well, it's really really good.

I don't know how much endurance you'll need but it'll probably be more than 20, keep boosting it until it feels right.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I think my new favorite thing are Youtube weapon moveset showcases where the guy swings a few R1s and R2s and then spends the rest of the video showcasing his l33t hornet ring parrying skills. Sick moveset brah.

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

The Warden Twinblades have great scaling when hollow infused, but you need high stats to take advantage of that. The L2/R2 combo is a guaranteed bleed proc on pretty much anything (and definitely phantoms), and so is the L1 "combo" (although that doesn't stunlock in pvp). Also, remember that hollow infused weapons boost your luck if you're hollowed, up to 10 points if you have one hollow weapon in each hand, so you don't need more than 30 luck ever.

The short reach and limited moveset means it's not in the same league as Black Knight Glaive, Dark Sword, Estoc, darkmoon buffed Twinblades etc, but it's still fun.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
How accessible is this game if you've never played anything in the Dark Souls series?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

BexGu posted:

How accessible is this game if you've never played anything in the Dark Souls series?

Very accessible, play it.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

BexGu posted:

Extremely, once you get over the hurdle that death literally does not matter.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

BexGu posted:

Think of it like a puzzle game instead of an RPG.

SgtArseCandle
Sep 28, 2009

Jordbo posted:

The Warden Twinblades have great scaling when hollow infused, but you need high stats to take advantage of that. The L2/R2 combo is a guaranteed bleed proc on pretty much anything (and definitely phantoms), and so is the L1 "combo" (although that doesn't stunlock in pvp). Also, remember that hollow infused weapons boost your luck if you're hollowed, up to 10 points if you have one hollow weapon in each hand, so you don't need more than 30 luck ever.

The short reach and limited moveset means it's not in the same league as Black Knight Glaive, Dark Sword, Estoc, darkmoon buffed Twinblades etc, but it's still fun.

Thanks for the info good Sir. What do you think of the paired katanas (Onikiri etc..), they seem like a good alternative (longer reach) to the warden twinblades.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

BexGu posted:

I actually think ds3 would be practically the worst in the series for someone who hasn't played a Souls game before. The intro boss and first area are way too difficult, and too much of the game's mystique relies on callbacks to characters and zones from dark souls 1. I mean, there's a reason 99.9% of discussion in this thread is about poise and gimmick pvp builds.

I'd recommend starting with DkS1, but make sure you install the DSfix thing that lets you run at 1080p with 60fps. As a bonus, I think you can get it for less than $10 on Steam.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

BexGu posted:

It's my first, it's treated me fine.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

SynthOrange posted:

Aw hell yeah I beat the Dancer! :toot: Now onto the next area... Red Eyed Lothric Knights? Easy peaseyARGGHHHHH

Excuse me, have you met our lord and savior, stance art?

That said, a Red Eyed Blue Lothric Knight in a later area is the only time in the game outside of gravity I've gone from 1,000 HP to Zero instantly. Ouch.

BexGu posted:

A large part of the accessibility is that there are less "Gotcha" tricks right out the starting gate. So while the starting areas and starting boss are harder than DS1's Intended Starting Area, You aren't faced with two more obvious directions leading into "Haha, get hosed newbie!" territory.

Knight is a very solid class start. Try to get 14 Dex at some point so you can use a lonebow you loot early for enemy pulls (It's very, VERY useful to be able to do so). Normal Shields are great for weak enemies, stronger ones they act more like a saftey buffer for your dodging (Still very useful, loss of stamina then a dodge > direct damage taken then a dodge). Stay under 70% equip load, and I know you will go far :unsmith:

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Man that loving skeleton graveyard in the first Dark Souls made me quit for like a week then somebody told me to just go to another area if I got stuck and then I hit Undead Burg. Loved the game after that.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Section Z posted:

Knight is a very solid class start. Try to get 14 Dex at some point so you can use a lonebow you loot early for enemy pulls (It's very, VERY useful to be able to do so). Normal Shields are great for weak enemies, stronger ones they act more like a saftey buffer for your dodging (Still very useful, loss of stamina then a dodge > direct damage taken then a dodge). Stay under 70% equip load, and I know you will go far :unsmith:
Kinda reminds me we don't have a section for Dark Souls 3 up in http://www.beforeiplay.com/ yet.

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

SgtArseCandle posted:

Thanks for the info good Sir. What do you think of the paired katanas (Onikiri etc..), they seem like a good alternative (longer reach) to the warden twinblades.

No problem :) I haven't played much with the katanas - but yeah, they would have longer reach and a more varied moveset (slashes, stabs and great runnings attacks), although they are a bit slower and don't have the Warren's insta-bleed combo. So probably better for a more varied playstyle that doesn't rely 100% on bleed.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

SgtArseCandle posted:

I'm in the same boat as this here good person. Anyone successfully running a bleed build? I've tried out a SL60 luck/dex/bleed build with warden twinblade and it was extremely inconsistent compared to my other SL60 glaive quality build which just wrecks everything in PVE and PVP.

If you want a bleed build at SL60 I feel you're basically reduced to Anri. You don't have enough points at 60 to pump 2 damage stats. It will be REALLY good, but REALLY boring. You can go 27 vig/40 luck and have 12 more points to put in either vig or endurance. Anri has something like 400 AR at 40 luck (+5). I think it might even out damage a heavy dark sword at 40 str?

The lower level you pvp at the better for you, because you're optimized for it and they're not.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Vargatron posted:

Man that loving skeleton graveyard in the first Dark Souls made me quit for like a week then somebody told me to just go to another area if I got stuck and then I hit Undead Burg. Loved the game after that.

Yeah I also had the common joke experience of finally making my way into the catacombs, and then turning around into New Londo. Before picking it back up for my serious go at it much later and feeling like some kind of Olympic God by comparison when I discovered Undead Burg.

I had the good fortune of finally getting to my first serious play through as the DS2 launch was approaching and passed. Which meant on top of all the DLC and patches, I had a very supportive experience of my newbie idiocy from the community. Compared to finding out where all the Sterotypes went when hopped straight into DS2 after beating Gwyn, when trying to find out why my Warrior seemed to have so much trouble dodging, or why I couldn't seem to get ripostes off no matter how fast I attacked after the parry.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 17:36 on May 24, 2016

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

SgtArseCandle posted:

I'm in the same boat as this here good person. Anyone successfully running a bleed build? I've tried out a SL60 luck/dex/bleed build with warden twinblade and it was extremely inconsistent compared to my other SL60 glaive quality build which just wrecks everything in PVE and PVP. With the twinblades, sometimes I would demolish phantoms in a single combo, sometimes I would struggle a lot. It feels like I sacrifice a lot of raw damage for a chance of bleed, but even with the bleed it barely breaks even with the quality build. To a large degree I put this down to the fact that the range on the twinblades is just very short and before I can lay down the hits I get estocced/darksworded into Swiss cheese or cleaved in half by an UGS. Perhaps bleed builds become much more competitive at later levels with highly infused/reinforced hollow weapons? I want to like bleed builds because of reasons (fashion factor mostly) but it seems like the standard quality builds are just much more reliable and well rounded. Quite possibly I'm just rubbish at the game :(

I watched a few youtube videos of people using bleed builds at SL120 but I couldn't shake the feeling that every single case was a careful montage where the opponent was completely useless and just let themselves be combo bled to death.

I've been doing a lot of dueling with my bleed build, it's very strong but requires a different playstyle than a regular quality build. The Warden Twinblades are fairly meh in duels to be honest, their main gimmick is trapping someone in a spin2win combo and instantly proccing bleed for a hopeful oneshot (aka what you see in the montages). However, they are good vs greatshields because the spin slash doesn't bounce and builds a ton of bleed even through the shield. The best all-around bleed weapon is the Carthus Curved Sword. It's the best curved sword in general due to it's great range and damage and it has very respectable bleed build up with a Carthus Rouge combined with its innate bleed damage. You just want to play the Carthus like a regular curved sword, be aggressive with running attacks and look for combo opportunities. Running at the opponent and not doing anything (besides dodging if they attack) is very effective just to see what they are gonna do. If they parry or try to trade with a heavy weapon, you can punish them.

Bleed in general requires you to keep up the pressure, that bar going up and up puts a ton of mental stress on your opponent. Blocks and near misses build bleed as well so you have the advantage when you are on the offensive. What you obviously have to watch out for then is parries, so getting good at varying up your timings and mixing up aggressive movement and positioning with not attacking (to bait out a parry) is really important. You can generally go toe to toe with straightswords because the bleed proc is going to give you an edge (and you can of course always parry them). Heavy weapons you can just roll and punish usually, good halberd users can be tricky if they are really good at spacing and parrying.

As for your build, it's pretty standard except you want 30 luck so that with two maxed out (+5 or +10) Hollow weapons/shields you get the +10 luck to get to 40. You can actually just do a 30/30 quality build or like 50 str or something and easily still get 30 luck and good hp+stamina (spell casting doesn't combo well with Bleed imo). Other good bleed weapons include the Carthus Curved Great Sword, the Spiked Mace, and most of the katana class weapons. The Washing Pole is actually not quite as good as the others for Bleed since it's R1's don't combo, that is the big disadvantage of the weapon. Special mention also goes to the Notched Whip which I love to whip out in order to punish parry spammers, greatshields, and finish duels (the rolling r1 when two-handed is extremely fast and long ranged).

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Does hollowing reduce your health like in DS2 or does it just make your character turn to beef jerky? I'm doing a blind playthrough and I haven't read anything about mechanics or questlines.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Vargatron posted:

Does hollowing reduce your health like in DS2 or does it just make your character turn to beef jerky? I'm doing a blind playthrough and I haven't read anything about mechanics or questlines.

It just makes you turn into beef jerky.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Vargatron posted:

Dying reduces your HP from your Lord of Cinders form, but the way it's presented seems more like you're just losing an extra bonus rather than being punished for dying; I really like that change, it makes the game feel less oppressive.

Hollowing is something entirely different but as far as I know, the effects are purely cosmetic aside from a few rings and I think an infusion that depends on how hollow you are.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Vargatron posted:

Depends on what you mean by hollowing. Being "un-embered" (aka hollowed from previous games) gives you your base health, while being "embered" increases your health by 30%. Effectively the same as having a hp penalty when un-embered but a nice little psychological difference. The only effect it has on your appearance is that while embered you get a sweet little flame effect on your armor. However there is a proper "hollow" state complete with beef-jerky face but that has to do with an optional questline and has no statistical benefit with the exception of using the "Hollow" infusion on weapons (you need at least 15 "hollowing", it's a stat, to get the +5 luck from having a Hollow infused weapon or shield equipped).

Boogiewoogie
Jan 10, 2012

Erm a prerter prerncers! Erm a prerter prerncers!
Does anyone happen to have a spare Yhorm's Machete or something? I want to do my second playthrough as a str build and clown around with all the big boy toys but I missed this awesome looking weapon and I don't want to wait till profaned in my second playthrough to get it.

TL;DR I am an impatient rear end in a top hat who wants toys NOW, anyone that feel like throwing one of these at me?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The nice thing is that you don't suffer for repeated deaths, and enemy damage and Estus strength seems to be balanced around not being embered. So having the ember active actually doesn't do a whole lot except give you more cushioning from huge burst damage.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Anyone familiar with fume sword? I swear sometimes it does a third blow on a parry riposte that looks just like the 2h r1, but it's not consistent. Am I nuts?

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
Hornet Ring changes your backstab and riposte animations on player-type enemies. Maybe it's that?

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

Boogiewoogie posted:

Does anyone happen to have a spare Yhorm's Machete or something? I want to do my second playthrough as a str build and clown around with all the big boy toys but I missed this awesome looking weapon and I don't want to wait till profaned in my second playthrough to get it.

TL;DR I am an impatient rear end in a top hat who wants toys NOW, anyone that feel like throwing one of these at me?

Unless you crafted the Yhorm's Greatshield or ate Yhorm's soul, you should still be able to craft the weapon as soon as you kill the Curse-rotted Greatwood.
Edit: Also what system are you on?

mastershakeman posted:

Anyone familiar with fume sword? I swear sometimes it does a third blow on a parry riposte that looks just like the 2h r1, but it's not consistent. Am I nuts?

If you have the Hornet Ring equipped and Riposte an enemy that uses the player animations (generally other actual players, enemy phantoms, and certain NPCS) you'll get the modified three-hit animation.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

SubponticatePoster posted:

Did they patch the Dancer/Swordmaster glitch? Tried last night and he got pounded into paste after the resummon.
Never mind, it's not patched. However, did you know the glitch works if the Swordmaster dies on the way to the boss? :downs:

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Tykero posted:

Unless you crafted the Yhorm's Greatshield or ate Yhorm's soul, you should still be able to craft the weapon as soon as you kill the Curse-rotted Greatwood.
Edit: Also what system are you on?

If you have the Hornet Ring equipped and Riposte an enemy that uses the player animations (generally other actual players, enemy phantoms, and certain NPCS) you'll get the modified three-hit animation.

Ah so that's what's going on thanks.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Dancer is a stupid boss because some of her moves inexplicably do way more damage than the others despite having almost identical animations. If you don't have a lot of vigor you have to chug any time she hits you even if most of her moves still wouldn't kill you, cause if she does hit you with one of the moves that randomly does more damage you'll be really mad. This is really annoying when combined with her having a super fast slap attack that exists purely to get cheap hits.

Also she can be cheesed with ranged easily so she's a big idiot.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
My favorite part about Dancer is the stupid lingering hitbox on her retarded grab. Nothing like safely rolling through her grab and then being vacuumed into her hand well after it's past you.

e: Grabs in general have really poo poo hitboxes, but at least it's not as bad as DS2 Mimics where you could stand to their side and get grabbed by them as they lunge forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Goddamn I still can't figure out how to get this game running with out it crashing. I seem to be having a lot of problems with games. At least it's not as bad as Total War games or Heroes of the Storm. My computer just freezes when I try to start those.