Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Jonas Albrecht posted:

This will be as accurate as Stantis' GOP race predictions.

Also, Pence is as big a monster as Trump, and I'm really not looking forward to the way people are going to treat a hypothetical Pence administration as some kind of return to normalcy.

I'm not 100% sure which would be worse, because like you said, Pence is also a monster. But, unlike Trump, he's a monster who would actually know how to get things done in office. Terrible and lovely things.

Edit: poo poo, new page. I hope this isn't a repost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

the_steve posted:

Edit: poo poo, new page. I hope this isn't a repost

It's a 2015 cartoon. So, probably.

"Closed for the holidays".

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

A literal shower of gold! :eyepop:
Nice!

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
Didn't Playboy also publish science fiction, investigative journalism, and other such things back in the day, since Hefner knew that the the sort of people who would be pissed off by those stories wouldn't be reading Playboy in the first place?

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

This comic is growing on me, if only because of that face in the third panel.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Zemyla posted:

Didn't Playboy also publish science fiction, investigative journalism, and other such things back in the day, since Hefner knew that the the sort of people who would be pissed off by those stories wouldn't be reading Playboy in the first place?
Yeah, I think Ray Bradbury got his start in Playboy.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

sheep-dodger posted:

A literal shower of gold! :eyepop:
Nice!
The tax cut tape is real!

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Pants Donkey posted:

Yeah, I think Ray Bradbury got his start in Playboy.

From CNN:

quote:

Great writers, not just centerfolds, have filled the pages of Playboy

By Aaron Smith September 28, 2017: 10:46 AM ET

There's some truth to the old line that people read Playboy for the articles. Some of the most celebrated writers in American literature got their starts there.

Hugh Hefner, who died late Wednesday at age 91, was hardly the biggest name associated with his magazine. While it's most famous for celebrity centerfolds -- Marilyn Monroe was the first -- Playboy also featured Vladimir Nabokov, the author of "Lolita," and Ian Fleming, who created James Bond.

Many others whose words filled the spaces between nude photos became literary giants: Jack Kerouac, John Updike, Joyce Carol Oates, Joseph Heller, Margaret Atwood, Kurt Vonnegut, Truman Capote, Gabriel García Márquez, Haruki Murakami.

Norman Mailer wrote about the Rumble in the Jungle, the 1974 Ali-Foreman fight, in the pages of Playboy. Ray Bradbury's "Fahrenheit 451" was serialized in Playboy after it was published in 1953.

"The Great Shark Hunt," a book by the late Gonzo journalist Hunter S. Thompson, originated with a 1974 article for the magazine about American anglers carousing in Cozumel.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
I think it is best said, that the man himself and his attitude toward women was terrible, (as a 91 year old womanizer, I kind of am not surprised he lost me once he abandoned his family) the magazine however, has really changed an effected culture of american society and literature and did some really groundbreaking things. I guess, I was a 90s kid, so I never even read it personally.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
It's almost like people are multi-faceted and it's mega-stupid to lump people into big boxes labeled ~GOOD~ ~BAD~

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Axe-man posted:

I think it is best said, that the man himself and his attitude toward women was terrible, (as a 91 year old womanizer, I kind of am not surprised he lost me once he abandoned his family) the magazine however, has really changed an effected culture of american society and literature and did some really groundbreaking things. I guess, I was a 90s kid, so I never even read it personally.

This basically, in its heyday Playboy did publish a lot of great short stories and articles and helped many amazing authors get their start.

But on a personal level Hugh Hefner was a piece of poo poo.

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

OldTennisCourt posted:

It's almost like people are multi-faceted and it's mega-stupid to lump people into big boxes labeled ~GOOD~ ~BAD~

So then it should be ok to mention the lovely stuff they do.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

But on a personal level Hugh Hefner was a piece of poo poo.

He was also a prominent civil rights and gay marriage activist. Like most people, his legacy has good and bad.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Really, the thing that always pushed him over the edge personally was him abandoning his family, to start playboy. I guess that has to happen due to the nature of the magazine itself, but really, on a personal level, that is when I was like "eh, I don't personally like him." I recognize that he did good things and that people have multifaceted reasoning and attitudes, but to me that puts his other good things a taste of hypocrisy. Also I really feel like I am not the generation that actually subscribed to playboy, nor read it. :shrug:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Axe-man posted:

Really, the thing that always pushed him over the edge personally was him abandoning his family, to start playboy. I guess that has to happen due to the nature of the magazine itself, but really, on a personal level, that is when I was like "eh, I don't personally like him."

that happened 65 years ago

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

fool_of_sound posted:

He was also a prominent civil rights and gay marriage activist. Like most people, his legacy has good and bad.

Lots of people managed to be civil rights and gay marriage activists without imprisoning women in a creepy sex castle. He was a piece of poo poo.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Trump is such a horrible president. I eagerly await him being replaced with a guy that has gone along with everything he's done without a word of dissent.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

Trump is such a horrible president. I eagerly await him being replaced with a guy that has gone along with everything he's done without a word of dissent.

~~~decorum~~~

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Sagebrush posted:

that happened 65 years ago

Yes, but even in his documentary, he acknowledged how a incredibly lovely thing to do it was. Instead of learning from that experience , he instead created a system of cycling through partners and lovers until it became as space cadet omoly basically imprisoning women in his mansion and discarding them when they didn't fit his standards of both weight, sexual demands or other things. So even if it was 65 years ago, he continued to do the same thing over and over again.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Enough about hugh playboy guy. Hes dead rip in piece. Find more comics for me to hate.

D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

The stupid loving cognitive dissonance of this guy. Yes, the real problem of Trump is that he's not a 'normal' republican. gently caress off.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
I don't see Prickly being renewed on the strength of a non-stop "good Republican" therapy session.

I'm the thinking microphone cord itc and I'm also Tinsley's coded plea for somebody to give a poo poo about anything he draws.

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Sep 30, 2017

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Hihohe posted:

Enough about hugh playboy guy. Hes dead rip in piece. Find more comics for me to hate.

Fyi Kapernick spent time and money buying and distributing clothes so black men fresh out of prison could look presentable for jobs.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Putting the prick in Prickly City.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Office Pig posted:

This is just pathetic.

Mike Pence, so very Libertarian!

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Pants Donkey posted:

Fyi Kapernick spent time and money buying and distributing clothes so black men fresh out of prison could look presentable for jobs.

But he could do MORE. Okay, no I will not tell you what would satisfy me. Something about him seems... dark and shady like Obama histories greatest monster.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Pants Donkey posted:

But what about black on black crime? Why doesn't he care about that?
If he did, he'd donate to organizations like http://silenceisviolence.org or http://www.iwillnotdieyoungcampaign.com
*cough*

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

R Kelly has the same kind of rape castle, but nobody cares because they can't score any political points with that football

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

Former DILF posted:

R Kelly has the same kind of rape castle, but nobody cares because they can't score any political points with that football

uhhh this is been a fairly hot topic lately and I'm sure there won't be any shortage of people lining up to decry his past the second he keels over, he also has never even approached (and will not approach) the level of cultural influence and presence that HH attained during his life.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Hihohe posted:

Well Branco is on break, who else would be dumb enough to defend Trump's response to Puerto Rico?

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Electric Phantasm posted:

Well Branco is on break, who else would be dumb enough to defend Trump's response to Puerto Rico?

Howdy.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Former DILF posted:

Man, what are you even talking about? Lots of people care about the gross sexual stuff R Kelly does, just like they care about the horrible things Bill Cosby and Roman Polanski have done. Our society is just so full of rich men who do awful things to women and get away with it because they're wealthy that it's just too overwhelming to be mad at all of them all at the same time. They're everywhere and almost impossible to stop. Hell, one of those kinds of men is president right now.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Sep 30, 2017

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I'm actually wishing for an angry evangelist trashing Hef just to break up the dull eulogical cartoons.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Bobby London needs to do one for him.

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

I'm actually wishing for an angry evangelist trashing Hef just to break up the dull eulogical cartoons.

Those "angry evangelists" jerked off to Playboy in their formative years

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Monty Hall is dead. Out of respect, I request nobody start a multi-page derail about goats.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Just know you always switch. Move along

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Yeah but what if the doors are gates and Saint Peter doesn't know how the math works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

What's the angle here?

"Those crafty messicans will always find a way to get in here!"

"The wall is a really dumb idea."

"in the future, personal jetpacks and helipacks will be ubiquitous"

I'm kinda not sure what the point is here and I don't know Gamble all that well enough to infer.

• Locked thread