Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Victory Position posted:

Bigfoot

Coast 2 Coast, he's alright

how does he feel about the jews lizard people

because fans of that show seem to have kind of a giant blind spot there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

how does he feel about the jews lizard people

because fans of that show seem to have kind of a giant blind spot there

he mostly just talks about stories he gathered from the tribes about Bigfoot being some actual other being and not outcasts from the tribe and then tries to drum up support for donations while George rolls his eyes and thinks about what you just described

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Airports are pretty spooky tho

Denver in particular really leans into it

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/haramcart/status/1312905102416637952

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

Party Boat posted:

Denver in particular really leans into it

Also the horse killed its creator.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

Victory Position posted:

he mostly just talks about stories he gathered from the tribes about Bigfoot being some actual other being and not outcasts from the tribe and then tries to drum up support for donations while George rolls his eyes and thinks about what you just described

Who's the dude, these sound like they could be cool stories.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

you don't gotta hand it to them

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Isn't that view pretty common outside of the West?

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
calling yourself a commie and saying you admire Hitler is a take

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

look, i live in finland and can confirm that we definitely don't actually exist

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There are definitely messages from the ruling class inserted into children’s programming, arguably even beyond the 12 minutes of commercials they put into each one.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

steinrokkan posted:

Isn't that view pretty common outside of the West?

people who end up having any level of admiration of Hitler based on a shallow understanding of Nazi Germany (he built the autobahn, he built up the German industry, the Wehrmacht was victorious in combat a lot of the time) do so because of a shallow understanding of Nazi Germany, which is not something I'd characterize as being "common outside the West"

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

gradenko_2000 posted:

people who end up having any level of admiration of Hitler based on a shallow understanding of Nazi Germany (he built the autobahn, he built up the German industry, the Wehrmacht was victorious in combat a lot of the time) do so because of a shallow understanding of Nazi Germany, which is not something I'd characterize as being "common outside the West"

I mean that people outside of the directly affected regions don't really care about Hitler or Stalin or whatever the same way. E.g. I've heard Hitler was treated kinda ambivalently in India.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

I mean that people outside of the directly affected regions don't really care about Hitler or Stalin or whatever the same way. E.g. I've heard Hitler was treated kinda ambivalently in India.

There was a fairly significant pro-Axis sentiment in India and Indian diaspora communities that Japan at least tried to co-opt (look up Subhas Chandra Bose), but that's pretty understandable for a country that was being brutally colonized by Britain at the time.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

steinrokkan posted:

Hitler was treated kinda ambivalently in India because he was fighting the British.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I prefer the Conspiracy Iceberg, especially the one created by predictive AI

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Nothing has shaken me to my core like knowing I've only ever had two kinds of food and that the third is forever beyond my grasp

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

declaring the hollow earth antisemitic just seems like a desperation bid to make antisemitism sound cool

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I mean, Bigfoot was notoriously antisemetic. He refused to disavow his old friend Charles Lindbergh and spent his cut of the Patterson-Gimlin money funding neonazi newspapers in the south.

Of course Mokele Mbembe was Idi Amin’s propaganda secretary.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I love how the bottom of the conspiracy pyramid is things that actually happened, as if you’re already halfway insane for not liking the CIA because of COINTELPRO or MKLTRA.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Weird how Russiagate isn't on there

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I love how the bottom of the conspiracy pyramid is things that actually happened, as if you’re already halfway insane for not liking the CIA because of COINTELPRO or MKLTRA.

I mean that part of the pyramid is literally labeled as “things that actually happened” so I don’t think the chart is calling you insane for believing in them

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

christmas boots posted:

I mean that part of the pyramid is literally labeled as “things that actually happened” so I don’t think the chart is calling you insane for believing in them

But isn’t it calling that the first step toward falling prey to conspiracy theory? Like I don’t see why it would be dangerous to understand those things or to pay attention to them any more than anything else—unless I’m misunderstanding the chart.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

But isn’t it calling that the first step toward falling prey to conspiracy theory? Like I don’t see why it would be dangerous to understand those things or to pay attention to them any more than anything else—unless I’m misunderstanding the chart.
I can see why you're getting that from it, due to the arrow, but I don't think that's the point. It would be much improved by changing the label of "things that actually happened" to "conspiracies that are official fact" and adding an "official story unlikely to be true" level above it though and getting rid of the arrow.

LastInLine posted:

Weird how Russiagate isn't on there
Expand the above suggestion down into the deepest pits of the establishment brain:

Level 0 - Urliberalism: Anything that challenges the establishment is a Russian psyop
Level 1 - Establishment brain: Trickle down economics / Austerity helps the economy / America has abolished slavery
Level 2 - Confirmed conspiracies: All the poo poo from the green bit
Level 3 - More likely than the official story: Epstein didn't kill himself
Level 4 - We have questions: Area 51

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I think the idea is once you see one conspiracy theory is actually true your more open to others being true.

whether that’s true or not it at least makes some sense.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

I read the chart more as showing that there are conspiracy theories on a spectrum where at one end you're talking about conspiracies backed up by facts and then above that are ones that aren't confirmed but there's valid space to be questioning things. To me the big tell is that the line above that second grouping is "leaving reality" which implies that the levels below are very much part of it.

So it's less that knowing about COINTELPRO makes you more likely to believe in Lizard people and more that there's a material difference between the two theories and even #FreeBritney is on a different level from 5G even though the former isn't necessarily true because the former is based on speculation from known facts and a perception of shadiness and the second is just pure nonsense.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
loving lol, I've not heard of half of these, that's amazing. Prince charles vampire, avril lavigne replaced and the beatles never existing is pretty odd, dunno why I never came across them.

I take it the conspiracy version of "deep state" is basically the illuminati and not an otherwise "reasonable" read power brokers?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

I think the idea is once you see one conspiracy theory is actually true your more open to others being true.

whether that’s true or not it at least makes some sense.

The horseshoe theory of conspiracy theories states that people who believe in zero conspiracies and people who believe in too many conspiracies are alike in being gullible rubes.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Deep State's basically just the same kind of terminal corruption and security state meddling in democratic processes openly acknowledged in most places the US has "liberated". Illuminati's the Illuminati, members of the deep state might be illuminati but that's just an extra flavor that goes well on anything. WayFair is... a furniture store?

christmas boots posted:

I read the chart more as showing that there are conspiracy theories on a spectrum where at one end you're talking about conspiracies backed up by facts and then above that are ones that aren't confirmed but there's valid space to be questioning things. To me the big tell is that the line above that second grouping is "leaving reality" which implies that the levels below are very much part of it.

So it's less that knowing about COINTELPRO makes you more likely to believe in Lizard people and more that there's a material difference between the two theories and even #FreeBritney is on a different level from 5G even though the former isn't necessarily true because the former is based on speculation from known facts and a perception of shadiness and the second is just pure nonsense.

the way it's designed all pretty clearly seems to imply that there's some slippery slope mechanism at work here and they're all shades of the same basic kind of conspiratorial thinking. Which is pretty in line with how lots of people think about Tuskeegee and COINTELPRO stuff, like well yes that stuff may all have "happened" and may be "well documented" but you're still a bit of a crank if you ever bring it up and mess with my 8th grade history class narrative of good old righteous America

A Wizard of Goatse has issued a correction as of 22:00 on Oct 5, 2020

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
this just keeps going

https://twitter.com/eliyahulann/status/1312293092611878912?s=20

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I got my headboard from Wayfair am I a lizard person or how does this work?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
hero of the left Seth Rogan?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Has Seth Rogen been particularly politically vocal before? Honestly I kept thinking why Joe Rogan was dunking on Israel

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

seth rogan is canadian

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

LastInLine posted:

I got my headboard from Wayfair am I a lizard person or how does this work?

did you pay 10 grand for it and, more importantly, did it you expect it to be a child and not a headboard?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

steinrokkan posted:

Has Seth Rogen been particularly politically vocal before? Honestly I kept thinking why Joe Rogan was dunking on Israel

not massively but

https://twitter.com/Sethrogen/status/1274834481594036224?s=20
https://twitter.com/Sethrogen/status/1274836801169981440?s=20

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

I wish I were as cool as that cool rear end dad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Seth Rogen said criticism of Israel is not criticism of Jews or Judaism so as far as the neolibs and chuds are concerned, he's a nazi