Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I would not be surprised if this was the case for almost all new cars these days. Manufacturers either specify an oil so thin that it only exists as synthetic (0w20, 0w16, etc) or they require a spec that outright calls out full synthetic like GM dexos.

The Toyota Crown and several other newer Toyotas want 0w-8, some allow 0w-16 as well but the Crown specifically wants 0w8 only. I hadn't realized how widespread those lighter weights are, are Jiffy Lube and Valvoline and all the other cheap fast changers stocking it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Twerk from Home posted:

are Jiffy Lube and Valvoline and all the other cheap fast changers stocking it?

I'm not aware of anyone around here that has anything like w8 in bulk bins at this point. You come in with something needing that you're getting charged extra for bottles of oil (and getting 10w30 out of the bulk nozzle anyway).

Roseo
Jun 1, 2000
Forum Veteran

Jake Gittes posted:

I need a new vehicle. I think the universe is pointing towards a used 4Runner, but I figured I'd ask some internet ppl because maybe there's something I'm just not thinking about.

Proposed Budget: $30K (+/- $5K)
New or Used: idc.
Body Style: 4 door SUV/hatchback.
How will you be using the car?:

I have two young kids that both need car seats, and I work in construction.

My commute isn't huge, but I'm regularly driving in off-road conditions that require some ground clearance.

I'm also going to be wrenching kids in and out of this thing, so I'd like it to be a bit higher off the ground for the sake of my back. Plus I hunt and fish a lot; so I'm looking for some cargo capacity so I can haul a rife/shotgun/fishing rod/other murder weapon.

Do you need suggestions with only two car seats or is a three row slash more future car seat option preferable?

Jake Gittes
Jul 11, 2006

me irl

Roseo posted:

Do you need suggestions with only two car seats or is a three row slash more future car seat option preferable?

We're done with having kids; so there's no third car seat needed. A third row would be a nice option for us to hypothetically carry around hypothetical friends, but it definitely isn't necessary.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Jake Gittes posted:

I need a new vehicle. I think the universe is pointing towards a used 4Runner, but I figured I'd ask some internet ppl because maybe there's something I'm just not thinking about.

Proposed Budget: $30K (+/- $5K)
New or Used: idc.
Body Style: 4 door SUV/hatchback.

I have two young kids that both need car seats, and I work in construction.

My commute isn't huge, but I'm regularly driving in off-road conditions that require some ground clearance.

I'm also going to be wrenching kids in and out of this thing, so I'd like it to be a bit higher off the ground for the sake of my back. Plus I hunt and fish a lot; so I'm looking for some cargo capacity so I can haul a rife/shotgun/fishing rod/other murder weapon.

I don't tow or haul poo poo, and all I need in the way of gizmos is a solid air conditioner and bluetooth connectivity. (Android Auto would be nice, but not required.) Even bluetooth isn't necessary, but if it's not available, then I'd like a vehicle that makes it relatively easy to replace the stereo.

I don't give a poo poo about gas mileage. (And I'm not opposed to going diesel.)

I live in a old neighborhood w/ relatively narrow streets. Full-size trucks/SUVs are going to run the risk of taking off mirrors. Plus I'd like to be able to parallel park this thing without needing a 50ft of space to do it.

What aspects are most important to you?
* Reliability/ease of maintenance/parts availability
* LATCH attachments for child seats (Model year 2003 and newer.)
* Bluetooth (I'm a goon, or failing bluetooth as an accessory, some ease in replacing the stereo to a unit that'll have it.)
* Air conditioning. (I live in Texas.)
* Off-road capable (but I'm not bouldering or any poo poo like that.)

TL;DR: recommend me a dad vehicle that's not a Wrangler. gently caress Wrangler ppl.

I don't have a lot to compare it to, but our (5th gen) 4Runner's rear seats seem quite high relative to the top of the doorframe. It feels like a squeeze to get our toddler into her car seat without hitting her head. Maybe our car seat is just big though.

I'd take your car seat(s) and try them in whatever you are considering.

Off road capable and not Jeep isn't a huge field without getting into pickup trucks. 4Runner as you stated. The new Branco is outside your price range but it ticks your boxes (although I have no idea about its reliability). Subarus have respectable ground clearance and decent enough AWD for moderate logging roads, but I wouldn't want to push them too hard beyond that.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

incogneato posted:

Off road capable and not Jeep isn't a huge field without getting into pickup trucks.

What pickups truck(s) are you talking about here that do not have a 4 door SUV built on their same chassis?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

incogneato posted:

The new Branco is outside your price range but it ticks your boxes (although I have no idea about its reliability).

I've owned recent Fords, I've got friends with recent Fords, I'd bet on Bronco reliability being anywhere between mediocre and awful. It's also gone through a really rough production process so the first few years I'd bet will have more issues.

The big new model problems were valves that drop into the cylinder and defective roofs for a good chunk of the early models, that were all replaced.

Those were normal new model stuff that's probably sorted by now, but I still wouldn't expect it to be anywhere near Toyota reliable. Also, there's the little problem that used Broncos in trims people actually want still cost $70k.

Is there a reason why a Tahoe or Suburban isn't on the list? Doesn't care about fuel economy, light off roading, room for family, want to own long term. Isn't that smack in the middle of GMs body on frame SUV wheelhouse?

Edit: oh, narrow streets and city driving. How much smaller is a 4Runner vs Tahoe anyway? I guess that's considerable.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Isnt the state bird vehicle of Texas America a F-150? I havent used one with car seats but my friends that do are always raving about how much room it has for them.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

ThirstyBuck posted:

Isnt the state bird vehicle of Texas America a F-150? I havent used one with car seats but my friends that do are always raving about how much room it has for them.

Can I buy an F150 with the bed chopped off and lowered 6 inches?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

KillHour posted:

Can I buy an F150 with the bed chopped off and lowered 6 inches?

Bad news: not from the factory on a f-150.
Good news: any shade tree can do that in an afternoon.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

in a well actually posted:

Bad news: not from the factory on a f-150.
Good news: any shade tree can do that in an afternoon.

Assuming you just want the bed gone and not like shorten the wheelbase.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Motronic posted:

What pickups truck(s) are you talking about here that do not have a 4 door SUV built on their same chassis?

Colorado/Canyon, Frontier. :colbert:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

Colorado/Canyon, Frontier. :colbert:

Oh, the smaller ones. I was thinking full size. The Colorado size is well covered in AWD CUVs which are going to be just as capable of fire roads and the occasional harder trail with the benefit of being a lot more comfortable on the road. The Chevy version would be the trailblazer or equinox, which are both perfectly acceptable AWD light offroad capable commuting appliances.

I'd absolutely take the 4Runner over one of those if I could find one in any kind of reasonable condition within my budget, but it's not like you're at a loss for options in this segment/size. You're just at a loss for compelling options.

If you don't like domestics you could buy VW CUV Number 8 or 12 (there are seriously so many I can't even keep track of the differences) which does the same thing with more expensive parts and repair costs. Get the audi version to up the costs for a minmially nicer interior. Or go off the rails and buy a Macan.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Motronic posted:

That's fair, and to be honest it's not an area I know a lot about. I was just thinking smaller/medium 4Runner sized things. It was the predicament we were in as well due to living and parking in a city.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

incogneato posted:

That's fair, and to be honest it's not an area I know a lot about. I was just thinking smaller/medium 4Runner sized things. It was the predicament we were in as well due to living and parking in a city.

The 4Runner is an outlier (with the JK/whatever the jeeps are now) in being both that size and body on frame still. I'm not sure that matters much for most people's needs. It certainly doesn't seem to matter for the stated "off road" needs of:

Jake Gittes posted:

* Off-road capable (but I'm not bouldering or any poo poo like that.)

I've certainly bought or built things for capabilities I do not need and rarely use only if I make a point to do it, so I'm not judging. I'm just going based on what my understanding is of what the poster is asking for.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jul 3, 2023

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
after much research, I am finally about to pull the trigger on a new car (decision 95% made) and thought I'd just check here if I am missing something as a non-car guy.

So that people don't have to dig up the details:

Proposed Budget: $30K
New or Used: doesn't matter
Body Style: anything as long as its not a truck, though seat height makes a CUV more likely.
80 mile round trip commute twice a week. Just around town otherwise.

I am fully on the "car as an appliance" side. I would have gotten a prius if not for one thing: my wife is a runner with a bad hip. She can run half marathons easily, but ask her to squat or sit on the ground and it bothers her (especially after races). So when we went to test drive the prius, it bugged her getting in. Since I average about 11 years with a car, situation would likely be worse by the time we're in our late 50s.

So priority number 1 is her comfort. Priority number 2 is reliability. Space is less important. We have no kids, no dogs.

My number 1 choice would have been a hybrid corolla cross. Unfortunately, around me those are all on wait lists and going for 5k over MSRP. After that, I looked at the corolla cross standard, the CX-30 and a bunch of small SUVs and crossovers. Cross has the corolla reliability and more space, but also feels very underpowered (which only really matters to the extent that it is then very loud on the highway). So right now the winner for me is the CX-30. Am I ignoring something? Some alternative, some massive problem with the CX-30? I know this thread is big on "just go for the (CX-5, RAV4, CR-V) instead of the crossover" but it's more money for stuff that really doesn't matter to us.

We'd be going for it new, since a 2020 model around me is like 1k under what I can get through the costco car buying program new.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

in a well actually posted:

Assuming you just want the bed gone and not like shorten the wheelbase.

I want the wheelbase shortened. Like a bigger smart car.

TheBeardedCrazy
Nov 23, 2004
Beer Baron

I need something to replace an older truck that's done for, looking for some advice.

Proposed Budget: Under 20k
New or Used: used
Body Style: Flexible
-home construction/renovation work, hauling lumber and plywood/drywall sheets
-dump runs
-hauling one current kid, probably a second in the future - could just use my wife's SUV for this if needed
-35 mile commute 5x/week

Basically I do a decent amount of work on my house/yard and I need something that I can use to haul things around without worrying about messing it up. I'm open to just getting a small trailer and something able to tow it if that makes the most sense. I'm also open to a minivan or something like that if the seats are easy/quick to take out and it will fit a sheet of plywood. If anyone could help I'd appreciate it.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Howdy. Im looking to liquidate my current car (2018 Mazda 3 GT with 53k miles) and get a cheap truck while saving the other proceeds for a different project.

- Budget: 7500 (soft)
- Used
- Body style: truck, doesnt need an extended cab. Looking at Tacoma or Tundra (or comparable)
- Usage: Primary commuter (maybe 150 miles a week), general stuff hauler (home construction, safety equipment around town, bikes etc), trailer hauler. Not intended for construction or job sites

I work and volunteer in Austin, Texas, land of Big Trucks, and part of that volunteering is gear transport around the city. Im looking for more general utility and a truck that would reasonably last for another few years as I put some light wear on it - lifetime miles I put on the Mazda 3 was about 30k miles over 4 years.

Right now, theres a glut of high mileage used work trucks on the market (mostly Ford F150s and such), but looking for guidance on what to avoid and what to prioritize. Im okay with being carless for a few months.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

High mileage work truck is probably your best bet at that price point.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Id add high mileage cargo/passenger vans. Minivan with the seats out if thats enough space too.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Do you have a tow weight in mind? Can you do what you need with a crossover or car with a tow hitch?

Have you run the numbers on renting a truck everytime you need it while keeping the Mazda 3 or trading down to something that isn't a giant load of steel? It sounds like you only want a truck because you're in Texas.

It's an exceptionally bad time to trade down and $7500 of car is just barely not a junker. $7500 of truck or van is going to be a junker and require constant upkeep even if (especially if) you're only doing 7500 mi per year.

If you're buying a $7500 truck you're going to buy a high mileage work truck and you will have to make model specific judgement calls on what the pre purchase inspection turns up. Someone in the thread may come out of the wood work with some research done on what $7500 of truck gets you lately but you'll likely need to dive deep into maintenance requirements of the trucks the mechanic is least concerned about to not end up without a car for several months of your next few years as you get in line at the mechanic because something broke you're not experienced with fixing.

I think potentially care free truck usage for 3 years is gonna start at $15-30k.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Those ford f150 work trucks are $7500 for a reason. Horrible reliability and beat to poo poo. Expect to pay thousands on top to keep them going and to be stranded

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Yeah, a $7500 F150 is going to need $7500 worth of work. Pretty much anything in that price range needs tires, brakes, shocks, sometimes springs and on the fords in particular cam phasers or just a whole motor because it's gonna be a worn out piston slappy pile of sadness with 4 of the 8 sprak plugs stuck in the heads. Always the ones in the back that are hardest to get at.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Fair points about the truck, I realize its a considerable step down and a wider liability than having a fairly recent gently used vehicle. In terms of frequency of use, I haul equipment multiple times a week so renting a cargo hauler every time wouldnt be that reasonable. In terms of tow behind weight, Id be towing a 6x12 trailer (think U-haul small trailer size), about 2990 GVWR.

Combined with the overall needs for transport (rather than purchasing a truck for trucks sake) I need an equipment utility vehicle that I can also use for getting around town since most of the places I commute to and transport equipment to do not have reasonable bus routes.

Im generally okay with fixing things and I do have resources for reliable mechanics, so spending time, parts, and labor should be reasonably doable. Id prefer not to take on more debt for the general purchase and not go too much over the soft budget. 10k, sure, 12-15k is pushing the general comfort level for spend. I suppose in that aspect, truck platforms that are easier to work on are what come to mind, it just happens to be that the F150 is one of the most common trucks that are on the budget market right now, hence bringing that up.

Cargo vans could be a thought, so I can also add that into the search with the same general caveats.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

The problem is that your price range, even at $10k, is one where all the vehicles you're looking at are likely to be in deep maintenance debt.

With the cost of parts and labor - and the general difficulty of even finding mechanics available to do heavy work in any kind of reasonable timeframe - it's certainly going to cost less to buy something in decent shape than to buy a pit of deferred maintenance and immediately have to shove several grand in parts into it. I would suggest looking at the issues of the vehicles in your price range and then figure out how much the work will cost and how long it will take and compare that overall cost to something in better shape. Some of this depends on your local market of course, so you may come up with a different answer than I would. But typically buying worn out vehicles is more expensive than paying for a good example.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
How are you currently hauling this equipment multiple times a week?

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Currently I borrow an SUV that my parents use, and I need to get extra volunteers to help out or multiple trips / less equipment. Its been a logistical issue for awhile, particularly for larger events.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
So I think you already have what you need to know from this thread. Expect to spend a lot of money on maintenance and repairs for anything in your budget. Outside of that, its getting the cleanest truck or van with a service record. Theres likely not going to be a avoid x model of y year for the budget.

Not to tell an internet stranger what to do, but if you were my close friend Id be asking about other opportunities to volunteer that dont require you spending thousands of dollars that will seemingly interfere with your financial wellness. The Red Cross supplies vehicles to their volunteers to transport supplies. I just cant imagine getting rid of my nice car to buy a money pit beater truck just to be able to volunteer given the amount of options available for me to give back to my community with just my time and labor. Otherwise, Id be keeping my nice car and giving a nice donation so the org can put it towards a vehicle that they seemingly require to operate but dont have.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

aldantefax posted:

Im generally okay with fixing things and I do have resources for reliable mechanics, so spending time, parts, and labor should be reasonably doable. Id prefer not to take on more debt for the general purchase and not go too much over the soft budget. 10k, sure, 12-15k is pushing the general comfort level for spend. I suppose in that aspect, truck platforms that are easier to work on are what come to mind, it just happens to be that the F150 is one of the most common trucks that are on the budget market right now, hence bringing that up.

truck platforms like the f150 are not easier to work on than other cars. not sure where you got that idea. it's going to be more expensive to repair a pickup truck than a car, always. the parts are more massive, heavier duty. ford hasn't been going for DIY repair platforms in many many years. it's going to be twice as much in gas. everything having anything to do with pickup truck is always more expensive. oh they use bigger tires? guess what. more money

work trucks and I mean actual work truck trims may not have power locks etc. they may not even have ac in some cases. they are not comfortable to drive on commutes. and when I say uncomfortable, I don't mean like oh I want a cushy caddlic suspesion. I mean they're designed to haul loads so they have stiffer suspension that feels like it will crush your spine sometimes. this is amplified x100 as soon as you have your incredibly common ford suspension issues which makes the thing wobble and lose control when you hit a bump on the interstate.

Chevys/ram/gmc/ford, are all interchangeable. the ford f150 is just probably the most barebones work truck of them all and with a slightly worse reliability record people can't wait to get rid of those things

reliability for all the trucks at 200k miles will be an absolutely minefield. doubly so for real work trucks, which people usually drive very hard.

and you're going to be looking at poo poo like 3-4k yearly repairs that will make your mechanic very happy indeed. broken suspension components, rusted together. bad transmissions. electric problems that nobody knows how to diagnose.

I don't know what to tell you except don't do it. do not buy a cheap pickup. you are looking at the highest gouged market in American vehicles and asking for super budget. you will absolutely regret it. and when i mean cheap pickup i mean like 15k. you're at half that.

edit: for a nice anecdote, my boss bought a 2012 chevy 3500 about 3 years ago. he likes to buy old used vehicles even though he has a ton of money. Guess what? haven't seen that truck around much, because it's currently sitting in his driveway waiting for tie rods. he was driving it to work and suddenly it wouldn't steer anymore. this is just one of many issues he's had. he's dumped more money in that truck than making payments if he just bought it brand new. if you do get one of these stupid things, you should have a second car when for when it's dead for weeks/months. also our company 2020 f250 has been in the shop for the last two months waiting for a death wobble fix.

ethanol fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jul 6, 2023

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

ethanol posted:

I don't know what to tell you except don't do it.

This is probably the most useful advice so far for this situation. The budget simply isn't high enough to accomplish the stated purpose.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Another way to approach this is "do you actually need a full size". How big are the things you are moving and how much do they weigh?

If you don't need a full size truck, $7500 is more than enough to go find a reasonably well maintained 1998-2011 Ford Ranger. If you can deal with them being glacially slow, a four cylinder Ranger will average low 20s MPG. The 3.0 V6 and 4.0 V6 use more gas; the 4.0 does make a decent bit more power, the 3.0 not so much. The later 4.0 SOHC makes quite a bit more power but has the downside of eventually suffering catastrophic timing chain failures that are an engine-out service even if you do it proactively. The front suspension will almost certainly be shot but you can parts cannon all of that for well under $300 from Rockauto, and most things are easy to work on. The only thing that threw me for a loving loop was the stupid water pump outlet on my 2.5L Pinto four cylinder, and that was mostly PO-induced because he glued everything together with RTV. Later 4-cyl trucks with the 2.3 Mazda won't have that problem.

TheBeardedCrazy posted:

I need something to replace an older truck that's done for, looking for some advice.

Proposed Budget: Under 20k
New or Used: used
Body Style: Flexible
-home construction/renovation work, hauling lumber and plywood/drywall sheets
-dump runs
-hauling one current kid, probably a second in the future - could just use my wife's SUV for this if needed
-35 mile commute 5x/week

Basically I do a decent amount of work on my house/yard and I need something that I can use to haul things around without worrying about messing it up. I'm open to just getting a small trailer and something able to tow it if that makes the most sense. I'm also open to a minivan or something like that if the seats are easy/quick to take out and it will fit a sheet of plywood. If anyone could help I'd appreciate it.

If you have room for a trailer, do you have room to park two vehicles instead of one? I shopped on more or less this list in early 2020 and bought a 2018 GMC Canyon Duramax, because I only had one parking spot and needed something that could haul a horse trailer while also replacing a 2013 CR-V for a similar commute. I love the Canyon, but if I had waited until after I moved and have more parking, I would much rather have split that money on a commuter appliance and an older, cheaper truck.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

Another way to approach this is "do you actually need a full size". How big are the things you are moving and how much do they weigh?

If you don't need a full size truck, $7500 is more than enough to go find a reasonably well maintained 1998-2011 Ford Ranger. If you can deal with them being glacially slow, a four cylinder Ranger will average low 20s MPG. The 3.0 V6 and 4.0 V6 use more gas; the 4.0 does make a decent bit more power, the 3.0 not so much. The later 4.0 SOHC makes quite a bit more power but has the downside of eventually suffering catastrophic timing chain failures that are an engine-out service even if you do it proactively. The front suspension will almost certainly be shot but you can parts cannon all of that for well under $300 from Rockauto, and most things are easy to work on. The only thing that threw me for a loving loop was the stupid water pump outlet on my 2.5L Pinto four cylinder, and that was mostly PO-induced because he glued everything together with RTV. Later 4-cyl trucks with the 2.3 Mazda won't have that problem.

its surprising to me how archaic some later 2010 ford pickups are compared to similar era sedans, 1998 ranger must be like stepping into a time capsule

recently rode around in my neighbor's 2007ish access cab tacoma, it's also a pretty crazy difference compared to my 3rd gen tacoma. cannot understate how much his suspension seems to translate every little jolt with a loud bang.

I am somewhat biased/spoiled but before the tacoma i was banging around in too old wranglers and miatas with extensive rust issues

but yeah if you don't need a full size you should also just consider like how much can you load into something like a 2010 honda crv also, because it's actaully quite impressive. Like a 5 ft bed becomes questionable to me if you can get a similar suv enclosure. and then you have something that probably drives nicer and gets better mileage, easier to find

older mid sizes pickups are much smaller than current midsize pickups. I don't know what the bed size was on the older rangers was though. A lot of the size difference is more in cabin space and body crush zones than bed I think

ethanol fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jul 6, 2023

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

ethanol posted:

A lot of the size difference is more in cabin space and body crush zones than bed I think

Yeah, my '98 Ranger's "short" bed and my '18 Canyon's "long" bed are both 6' long. The Canyon's bed is noticeably wider, and the crew cab is much larger.

And no, I did not like my odds in the Ranger in a crash.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Motronic posted:

This is probably the most useful advice so far for this situation. The budget simply isn't high enough to accomplish the stated purpose.

I agree, the car will end up selling in any case, so I'll probably go without for some time and just figure it out from there.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
If it fits your space needs, a passable first gen Toyota Matrix/Pontiac Vibe is in your price range, not likely to be beat to poo poo, and is a great all-around car.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
Dad wants to shop for a truck, never shopped a truck in my life, could use some help

Proposed Budget: 40-60k

New or Used: Either

Body Style: Truck. MUST HAVE: 6.5ft bed, skid plates, back seats, 4 wheel drive

How will you be using the car?: Light towing, moving dirt bikes/polaris ranger around, light offroading on bad/dirt roads and fields around a hunting lodge.

What aspects are most important to you?Aforementioned features above: 6.5 foot bed, back seats, 4 wheel drive, and skid plates. My dad will not be working on this thing himself, so a non-atrocious dealer experience and/or a good warranty would be a plus.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
That's interesting - does a truck exist with a 6.5 foot bed, extended cab or crew cab, but also factory off-road package? I've been trying to build it in various manifacturer sites to no avail. Ford doesn't make that, it doesn't seem like the Tacoma has it (unless I'm building it wrong, it seems like it should), nor the Jeep Gladiator.

Edit: Found it. Tacoma has all of those options, at least I think it does (editx2 i was wrong, its only a 6ft bed). The skid plate requirement (for a truck that's seemingly going to be driven on gravel and dirt) is really zany

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jul 7, 2023

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

the tacoma has a 6 ft bed option with crew cab. it's not 6.5. mixing longer beds and therefore longer wheelbase and offroad generally is undesirable because of high centering, turning radius, reduced articulation, so that's why they're more rare. that's doesn't stop people from lifting 8 ft bed chevies though. i own the 6ft bed crew cab tacoma with trd offroad package, it's pretty good. very loooong

most people get the trd offroad because it 1.) bling trd decal to show off (?? :O) 2.) its the only trim that has a factory rear locker installed basically at no cost which is $$$ to do aftermarket 3) best resale value of the trims

skidplate is super cheap to install to any tacoma

if you want over 6 ft you look at fullsizes, with arguably diminished off-road packages that may or may not be just for appearances. I think the tundra has a pretty decent offroad package still. the Silverado might but definitely read teh fine print on what offroad package actually gets you on any of these trucks

ethanol fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jul 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

ethanol posted:

work trucks and I mean actual work truck trims may not have power locks etc. they may not even have ac in some cases. they are not comfortable to drive on commutes. and when I say uncomfortable, I don't mean like oh I want a cushy caddlic suspesion. I mean they're designed to haul loads so they have stiffer suspension that feels like it will crush your spine sometimes. this is amplified x100 as soon as you have your incredibly common ford suspension issues which makes the thing wobble and lose control when you hit a bump on the interstate.

has been in the shop for the last two months waiting for a death wobble fix.

mmm warm memories of my first car, a 1986 F350 4X4 crew cab with the 8' bed (we used it to tow heavy loads long distance before I got it, long wheelbase was preferred) that lived a previous life as a logging truck in the mountains of washington state. Might as well not even had springs or shocks. On the rare occasion I wanted the fuel economy to dip below 8mpg and get on the highway it would do the death wobble shake

to quote my dad, "you're getting this truck because if you get in an accident, if someone dies I want it to be the driver of the other car"

8000 lbs of fillings rattling, spine snapping work truck goodness