Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Truga posted:

Oh poo poo now I remember. It was a big load of nothing and you wanted to ask Ben about it right? I'm just going to assume it's still nothing and he pocketed the cash.

I dogged him on Twitter for a while. As far as I can tell, there's no public info, but a backer only email list?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Samizdata please don't go on some kind of weirdo crusade again thnx

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq
In all of 2016 the big features added were shopping, grim hex for pirate shopping, and babbys first crysis area death match maps.

Coming up on 4 months into 2017 and nothing notable has been released or been put onto the joke of a production schedule.

But the game is totally going to come out as promised, we just have to wait while they poo poo out a few more broken modules then start layering on the fidelity because that's how game development works.

It's basically how blizzard went from a single male orc model, the little starting cove with like 5 quests, and focused on putting in all the mounts, then boom, world of warcraft was born.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
Remember when 2.6 was supposed to come out in June of last year? And 2.7 in July? Weird how now if it comes out 10 months later it's a great victory. 10 month delays for incremental patches full of well-wishings are normal.

Meanwhile Blizzard dropped big patches for Overwatch and Diablo 3 today that I was actually able to play and they changed gameplay in substantial ways. And neither were 30 gigs or knocked out internet to my town when I downloaded them. Funny how that works out sometimes.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Free Tophat.

and

Free Tanehat.

Mellow Pgabz.

Pat Kayak.

Smug MoMA.

Fourth the Stimpire.

Agent FAKE

Hide the doxx from Derek.

March the powder.

Life Time Insure this thread.

(space jail the Crobbers)

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Kosumo posted:

Free Tophat.

and

Free Tanehat.

Mellow Pgabz.

Pat Kayak.

Smug MoMA.

Fourth the Stimpire.

Agent FAKE

Hide the doxx from Derek.

March the powder.

Life Time Insure this thread.

(space jail the Crobbers)

and post buns

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Space Crabs posted:

I'm not, thus my comments.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

So EA told them to do more with less, I am gathering from this.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

AlmightyPants posted:

Funny how that works out sometimes.
Allocating resources to creating awesome space-ship marketing videos and staging up demos that look playable in real-time (but they are not, or not in their entirety) for Coms and Cons, probably explains why they are poo poo at actually making progress for their "game".

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
Anything about a sale on Friday? New patch, end of the month, funding down.

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

TheAgent posted:

the leaks also specifically pointed out the core problems with model size vs interior sizes, which roberts said was a problem earlier this year

but obviously I just make this stuff up and then CIG is nice enough to confirm them for me

I can confirm all the mocap stuff was a mess and had to be reshot, I work with someone who's wife was working with the mocap studio at the time.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Codezombie posted:

I can confirm all the mocap stuff was a mess and had to be reshot, I work with someone who's wife was working with the mocap studio at the time.

:colbert:

If this was true we would obviously need waaaaaay more details

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

The Titanic posted:

This is what I was going to say but you did just as well and better. :shobon:

I wish I could fill up a version release document with stuff that we planned to do or will work on or what we aim for or intend. I'm really not sure why they do this or how people can imagine this as being ok. Even taking out any external influence like Derek or goons, or anybody saying anything negative, how do they get away with this?

Well one thing I hope people will move away from doing is using CIG versions as any iota of progress or milestones. Even here, everybody is up in talking about 3.0. 3.0 is going to be as meaningless as 2.6.2 or whatever this is. But because everybody is all about focusing on "3.0" getting 3.0 released is almost as good as the stuff that was supposed to be in it.

I think for CIG, people need to start discussing anticipated mechanics. Like trade, landing on planets seamlessly like in their pupil to planet video, talking to guys and getting missions. Probably >1 system to explore. Actual exploration. Sure these may be 3.0 items, but the disconnect between what CIG says will be in a version vs what is actually in that version may as well not even be talking about the same stuff.

So instead of "when 3.0 hits" there needs to be more "when we can land on a planet like in Elite" or "when we can trade like in Elite" or "when we can buy ships with in game money like in Elite". I think by using "... like in Elite" when discussing future plans for Star Citizen will help it along so people can slowly wonder why these basic core mechanics don't exist yet.

I just want to help Star Citizen get made guys. :allears:

See that's kinda the thing I've been getting at all along - you hit the nail on the head. CIG is going out of their way to get their backers to focus on the patch number only, and not any meaningful additions to the game. And oddly enough it's working. "3.0 came out, Derek was wrong" say the MOMAs of the world, missing the point that "3.0" means jack poo poo if nothing substantial is included in it.

Gamers never fall for this poo poo - they figure it out in a hot second. Only Star Citizens fall for this. It's amazing.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Scruffpuff posted:

See that's kinda the thing I've been getting at all along - you hit the nail on the head. CIG is going out of their way to get their backers to focus on the patch number only, and not any meaningful additions to the game. And oddly enough it's working. "3.0 came out, Derek was wrong" say the MOMAs of the world, missing the point that "3.0" means jack poo poo if nothing substantial is included in it.

Gamers never fall for this poo poo - they figure it out in a hot second. Only Star Citizens fall for this. It's amazing.

Look, man, the version number in the launcher changed! THAT MEANS PROGRESS!

Stop hanging out with Derelict Dumb and the Saline Anusfedoras and spreading FUDD! You just can't share in the vision, as you understand NOTHING about scam development!

Samizdata fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Mar 22, 2017

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:
Back again, and in the mean time poo poo happened at CIG.

So explain to me how a 150 mil company just took a little over 3 months to produce 1 patch with basically nothing in it.
gently caress me, gently caress you.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Codezombie posted:

i can also confirm it because i have seen all the stuff theyve released so far

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

alf_pogs posted:

i can also confirm it because i have seen all the stuff theyve released so far

I can also confirm because their company is a clown fiesta.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Samizdata posted:

Saline Anusfedoras
Mods name change please

well HECK Phil
Feb 25, 2010
Toilet Rascal

Colostomy Bag posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/60r3i4/alpha_262_ptu_status_evocati_testing/

Dolvak calling out TheAgent for BS midway through the thread. Whoever has control, do some damage control.

So that whole "/s" is a real thing? Several of them (including Dolvak) admitted the need to use it to distinguish sarcasm. That explains a lot of the dumb stuff being taken seriously. That is some straight up aspergers (sp?) right there.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

well HECK Phil posted:

So that whole "/s" is a real thing? Several of them (including Dolvak) admitted the need to use it to distinguish sarcasm. That explains a lot of the dumb stuff being taken seriously. That is some straight up aspergers (sp?) right there.

I feel for Dolvak, he really wants to be a prominent and respected member of the community but some rear end in a top hat named Dolvak keeps loving it up for him.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/ScribeSlendy/status/844425077307424769

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Well, hey. At least his parents will be happy with how SC develops.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

With or without a shotgun?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Truga posted:

would you say me:a is a half-decent babby's first AAA game?

which it is, it's done by a bioware studio ea opened in montreal, they haven't done any games before, just some small things for the main bioware studio.

:same: tax

A very good dogge

well HECK Phil posted:

It's a very common habit on reddit for whatever reason. I guess people there have trouble distinguishing seriousposts from the rest of the overly-aggressive bullshit people post there.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Beet Wagon posted:

A very good dogge

It's a very common habit on reddit for whatever reason. I guess people there have trouble distinguishing seriousposts from the rest of the overly-aggressive bullshit people post there.

If only CIG had used "/s" when they first announced Star Citizen, we could have saved a lot of time.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Chalks posted:

If only CIG had used "/s" when they first announced Star Citizen, we could have saved a lot of time.

I don't know if "/s" would have been accurate. A good old-fashioned "lol" would have sufficed.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Space Crabs posted:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Chalks posted:

Tippis posted:

I don't know if "/s" would have been accurate. A good old-fashioned "lol" would have sufficed.

Chris is a 90s icon it would have been "rofl jk you guys TTFN" in tiny text at the very bottom of the screen sandwiched between a dancing baby and bonsai buddy

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Tippis posted:

quote:

From the mind (lol) of Chris Roberts, acclaimed creator of Wing Commander and Freelancer (jk), comes STAR CITIZEN. 100% crowd funded, Star Citizen aims to create a living, breathing science fiction universe with unparalleled immersion… and you’re invited to follow every step of development. /s

More than a space combat sim, more than a first person shooter and more than an MMO: Star Citizen is the First Person Universe that will allow for "unlimited" "gameplay" (lmao).

Yeah, good point.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Star Citizen: If only CIG had used /s

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Ben Lesnick, Developer /s

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Hey guys, my pants have an unfortunate hole in them, so I have to go buy some new ones today. If I happen upon a ninteedo swidge while I am out, should I buy it?

Thank you for your kind consideration and assistance with this matter.

Theotus fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Mar 22, 2017

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Beet Wagon posted:

It's kinda necessary over at :reddit:. There's a ton of morons and crazies over there (including former SA crazies such as Kyoon) and in many cases without a sarcasm tag it's honestly hard to tell if someones being sarcastic or is honestly arguing something insane.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Meridian posted:

Hey guys, my pants have an unfortunate hole in them, so I have to go buy some new ones today. If I happen upon a ninteedo swidge while I am out, should I buy it?

I think Port Olisar has the right store to suit your needs

Switch or no isn't exactly an obvious choice, right now there's like only zelda to play which may or may not justify the cost by itself alone, depending on how much you like good games. But Mario kart and Splatoon are coming soon though

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Beet Wagon posted:

Chris is a 90s icon it would have been "rofl jk you guys TTFN" in tiny text at the very bottom of the screen sandwiched between a dancing baby and bonsai buddy

This is acceptable.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Meridian posted:

Do you have pre-pubescent children in your house? Do you attend lots of roof parties? Is the only reason you want one is to play Zelda?

I've learned to wait on the Nintendo consoles. You can find barely used units in pawn shops for a fraction of the price in a few months. My Nintendo experience has been limited to buying for one or two games then never using the console again.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Samizdata posted:

I'm not, thus my comments.

Did you really just use the word "thus"?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
Yeah, should have been "hence" really

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

DapperDon posted:

Did you really just use the word "thus"?

He did, over yonder and thither.

XK posted:

Just think, as bad as ME:A is getting savaged right now, it's certainly leaps and bounds beyond whatever state SQ42 will be in at any point in the foreseeable future.

I've sunk some time into Andromeda. It's space dragon age inquisition, which means there are side quests out the wazoo, and the average ADHD collector will be burned out on bullshit before getting to the meat.

If you're about to play andromeda, just do the main missions to get to Eos and do not gently caress about. Forget the shinies, don't explore Nexus, just get on your bus and head to Eos.

Animation is fine, Frostbite always looks loving wonky with light (Their SSAO blows goats around hair), and the writing is bad, but not entirely terrible. Plot holes four Lesnick's wide. Can't beat it for space opera, though.

D_Smart posted:

If you're talking about what I think you're talking about - FATCA - do not mess with that. Just trust me on this.

Yep, and I don't. One brush with IRS was enough for me because they're really humorless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Foo Diddley posted:

Yeah, should have been "hence" really

Forsooth