Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Did a slow motion soto makikomi and immediately got my back taken. My excuse is I didn't want to bomb a white belt during training but the reality is I'm just slow and not confident. But as long as I can SAY I did it to protect my training partner then that's what I'll say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Getting the back taken on that move happens to me a lot too, but sometimes if I keep turning and winding the arm, and reach my free arm across to the far hip, I find I can still force a pretty nasty reverse scarf. Then I can compress their diaphragm for as long as I want before release the wound arm and completing the turn to arrive in side control.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Hellblazer187 posted:

I only stall against people who know how to defeat my sweeps. If I can sweep someone from bottom half then I do that.

Then I stall in side control top.

This is the part of my game I'm currently cultivating. Works well

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Hellblazer187 posted:

Did a slow motion soto makikomi and immediately got my back taken. My excuse is I didn't want to bomb a white belt during training but the reality is I'm just slow and not confident. But as long as I can SAY I did it to protect my training partner then that's what I'll say.

Makikomi you have to really bury the arm if you dont want your back taken in non judo rules. In judo rules you walk away with an ippon so whateves. Your opponent should feel like theyll seperate their shoulder if they try to roll towarsa your back.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

he was halfway to my back standing so I just kinda went for it, but slowly. Anyways I escaped back control and got to guard and guillotined him so it was all fine, I just look like a fat chump in the school's instagram reel.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Hellblazer187 posted:

I just look like a fat chump in the school's instagram reel.

Who cares? You were out doing your thing and were having fun doing it.

On a seperate note, how cool would it be to get all of us together for a goon grapple meet?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'd love it. Also, if some people came here I wouldn't have to suffer my coach's silent condemnation every time I mention a technique I learned from "my Internet friends". I think she worries I'm asking for help on Quora.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

goon grapple meet would be cool but I think that there's like a 12 time zone and 180 global degrees separation among us

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

also my coach used to roll his eyes at me when I discussed my internet grappling friends until I right hosed him up with something that I learned in this thread and now he sometimes asks me to ask you questions

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

CommonShore posted:

also my coach used to roll his eyes at me when I discussed my internet grappling friends until I right hosed him up with something that I learned in this thread and now he sometimes asks me to ask you questions

I caught a brown belt in the process of going for his black belt with a knee bar while standing in his open guard. I saw the technique on YouTube a week prior.

It happens sometimes.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Legit Businessman posted:

I caught a brown belt in the process of going for his black belt with a knee bar while standing in his open guard. I saw the technique on YouTube a week prior.

It happens sometimes.

it's almost as if you don't need to be perfect at techniques the other person doesn't know exists.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Defenestrategy posted:

it's almost as if you don't need to be perfect at techniques the other person doesn't know exists.

10th planet made an entire system out of this idea.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.
I lost my two matches :( one was to a Greko Roman guy who worked me over pretty quick and I ate a guillotine. Second one was 0-0 refs decision, opponent pulled closed guard and it took me 4 minutes to work my way out and I didn’t get to pass. Fun day will compete again.

stramit fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Feb 17, 2024

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

stramit posted:

I lost my two matches :( one was to a Greko Roman guy who worked me over pretty quick and I ate a guillotine. Second one was 0-0 refs decision, opponent pulled closed guard and it took me 4 minutes to work my way out and I didn’t get to pass. Fun day will compete again.

Awesome work putting yourself out there! Glad you had a fun time.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

duckdealer posted:

Awesome work putting yourself out there! Glad you had a fun time.

Seconded. Keep testing the art so us old broken out of shape dudes can get an unearned rep because we like to roll around and have fun at the gym.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Getting subbed very quickly and getting stuck in closed guard in a tournament are seriously rights of passage so genuine congratulations. You should see it have a positive impact on your normal class time next week. Good job showing up! You learned more this weekend than everyone wt your gym that didn't go!

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

stramit posted:

Good job getting out there and making it happen. If you have any match footage post it here. We'd love to see it!

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

yeah man that's awesome that you competed. Hope to be in the same shoes soon here

Second class, all about armbars, and it was awesome. Learned about 8 different ways to complete an armbar and it was cool as poo poo. I've missed this a lot. The gym then proceeded to take a group picture while I was sitting down trying not to puke. Not my best look. Getting my finger calluses back now, feels good

I'm a little scared of no-gi to be honest. The gi helps me understand and learn things, because we're all starting from the same point, but I think no-gi is more realistic and cool. I just can't wrap my brain around it as easily without the obvious grip points and motions of gi. Hopefully that makes sense. I want to get over that mild fear of being clueless, probably by just doing some classes

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

stramit posted:

Bolded the important bit, hell yeah!!

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Jeremor posted:

I'm a little scared of no-gi to be honest. The gi helps me understand and learn things, because we're all starting from the same point, but I think no-gi is more realistic and cool. I just can't wrap my brain around it as easily without the obvious grip points and motions of gi. Hopefully that makes sense. I want to get over that mild fear of being clueless, probably by just doing some classes

Literally just replace your traditional grips with the closet "handle". Lapels become back of the neck or shoulder, sleeve becomes wrist and elbows, pants become ankles and knees.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Jeremor posted:

Its much faster, its easier to escape wedges, guard retention is harder. Otherwise its pretty similar.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Jeremor posted:

Biggest learning curve for me was getting used to grips and frames being transient - get a grip, immediately try and use it for something, they'll probably pull free before you succeed, switch to whatever opening they've made, repeat forever. It's fun but very different to gi where you can get a grip and then think about what the hell you want to do with it for a few tempos.

FouRPlaY
May 5, 2010

Defenestrategy posted:

Literally just replace your traditional grips with the closet "handle". Lapels become back of the neck or shoulder, sleeve becomes wrist and elbows, pants become ankles and knees.

whats for dinner posted:

Biggest learning curve for me was getting used to grips and frames being transient - get a grip, immediately try and use it for something, they'll probably pull free before you succeed, switch to whatever opening they've made, repeat forever.

Lol, I wish I had read these yesterday -- I do Judo and work as a bouncer. Last night I wasn't able to get a grip on a guy, so just grabbed his neck and just drove him off the property. After he sucker punched me.

People were congratulating me on being so calm afterwards, but all I was focusing on was what I did wrong and what to review next class :sigh:

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Jeremor posted:

There are all kinds of strong grips and wedges to be had in nogi. A little harder to control due to sweat, but still possible.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
My two cents is that a "shallow" underhook, not across the back but up to the shoulder, is what works best for me in no gi. The collar tie doesn't lift the way a gi bases collar grip does, so it doesn't help you throw and, crucially, doesn't keel the opponent from dropping into a leg grab. Also, I find people will accept that grip and may even be more willing to try to throw you, so you can get a lot of mat time compared to, say, finally getting the double under body lock and your partner hits the eject button on stand up entirely.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Jack B Nimble posted:

My two cents is that a "shallow" underhook, not across the back but up to the shoulder, is what works best for me in no gi. The collar tie doesn't lift the way a gi bases collar grip does, so it doesn't help you throw and, crucially, doesn't keel the opponent from dropping into a leg grab. Also, I find people will accept that grip and may even be more willing to try to throw you, so you can get a lot of mat time compared to, say, finally getting the double under body lock and your partner hits the eject button on stand up entirely.

Collar ties are for pushing, turning, and pulling not lifting. Especially if youre aggressive you can easy force people to their knees through back of the neck clubbing. Theyre also useful for foot sweeps just because of the kizushi you generate.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Right, yeah; I find there's a common belief, and I certainly had it when starting out, that the collar tie is the nearest approximation of the Judo collar grip, because they look broadly similar. But like you say they do very different things and you'll be in for some frustration if you try to exchange the classic judo grip for a wrist grab and a collar tie. They are fantastic for snap downs like you say; snaps downs in general are something Judo doesn't really value that is super useful and available in BJJ.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Even there a back-of-the-neck collar grip in judo doesn't do that much different from a collar tie. It's dogshit for lifting. Really the main differences are that it's easier to hold, and you can hip throw from there without having to shoot it deeper or change to a whizzer.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

On the ground, my grips don't really change that much gi vs no-gi. My game is extremely limited and focused on half guard, so I'm usually looking for that underhook either way. I prefer gi because friction makes it slower and I am slow.

Edit: Standing I'm kinda clueless without gi to grip. I won't really shoot for the legs, and I don't have enough practice at no-gi hand fighting to secure anything good there. I think I saw a Shintaro video saying the whizzer/overhook is better for judo than an underhook. My best bet no-gi is around the head as in koshi guruma.

Hellblazer187 fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Feb 19, 2024

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Hellblazer187 posted:

I think I saw a Shintaro video saying the whizzer/overhook is better for judo than an underhook.

Iirc he said it gives you enough clearance to line up your shoulder and head and drive into the empty space to emphasize your attack.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

My ACTUAL best bet in no-gi is to act like I'm gonna wrestle but then drop right into a dummy sweep after we make contact.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

Hellblazer187 posted:

My ACTUAL best bet in no-gi is to act like I'm gonna wrestle but then drop right into a dummy sweep after we make contact.

You should do this with a judo guy because this would piss me off really bad

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

Thanks for the tips on no-gi, I'm going to try a class this week. It looks fun.

One question, as a white belt is it normal for me to really not be looking for submissions at all while rolling? I'm pretty much just looking to hold them in closed guard and sweep if they give me the golden opportunity. Very tentatively dipping into other guards. I suck at passing guard.

Guess that means I need to work on passing guard, huh? poo poo

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
IMO it's fair game for you to try anything you've been taught.

Say you'd been taught the Americana from side control. If you were rolling with me I'd let you get that with almost resistance in a roll, and as you get more comfortable with it I'd slowly increase the amount of resistance I offer. But again, that's just me, I don't know how it is at your gym.

This topic came up at my gym recently and my professor apparently says "no rolling in the one week trial if your new and then it's whateves". Faster than I'd do it but it shows you how short the on ramp can be.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

Jeremor posted:

One question, as a white belt is it normal for me to really not be looking for submissions at all while rolling? I'm pretty much just looking to hold them in closed guard and sweep if they give me the golden opportunity.

If anything, most beginners err way too far in the other direction and tend to chase after submissions that aren't there and give up perfectly good positions as a result, so your approach isn't what I would consider typical, but it's probably more beneficial in the long run*. That said, threatening submissions will usually force the other person to move in ways that you can capitalize on to advance your position, so don't be afraid to go after submissions you've been taught if you feel like your control is good.

*also, sweeps from closed guard will usually land you in mount, which is widely regarded as one of the two most dominant positions in the sport. I think that counts as a valid strategy, lol

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

This is what I've been coaching our current crop of white belts about. You want to be striking a balance of positional dominance, stability, positional advancement, and submission attacks so that you can get a sense of the failure states and types for these things, and so you can start to figure out "hey what attacks might I be good at?"

Remember, there's no prize on the line for winning and losing in the rolls - randori is there to experiment and figure things out. When I've been teaching classes lately my goal has been to show attacks from families of passes, sweeps, and submissions that our head coach doesn't usually demo - he's very much an oopma shrimp arm bar kimura guy, so I've been showing guillotines, d'arces, achilles locks, arm triangles, etc and I always tell the white belts "If you find yourself repeatedly achieving the grip or position for this attack but not finishing it, that's actually a sign it's a good attack for you, so come see one of us and we'll help you dial it in." We found out that one guy is ridiculously natural at d'arces, once he learned about a few places to start hunting for them and from our perspective he seems like he went from being forever one-stripe white belt to us thinking about giving him his blue belt pretty much overnight.

So try things, and try to pay attention to where, how, and why they fail.

e. I missed the "from closed guard" part. Yeah that's actually what I do in bottom closed guard. I mostly want a pendulum sweep and I get there by threatening arm bars, cross collar chokes, and ankle locks.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I have to wear a knee brace when doing activity for a few months and am worried people on the mats will bully me for it :(

I assume I should get a like, sleeve/brace without buckles?

Buschmaki fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Feb 20, 2024

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Jack B Nimble posted:

I find the collar tie is an excellent way to test posture and balance setting up all kinds of throws and drops (doubles/singles). Think of the collar tie as the high lapel grip in Judo. My daughter had another wrestling compeition this weekend and was able to off balance and get to the neck or snap down most of her opponents by controlling the neck (and therefore the head). We had worked on this concept this week and while she didnt get gold in her state compeition, she took 5th and the highest point total out of a field of 16 girls. Its the basics that win and most of the competitions (including Judo) the person that gets dropped, usually loses.

Tacos Al Pastor fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Feb 20, 2024

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Buschmaki posted:

I have to wear a knee brace when doing activity for a few months and am worried people on the mats will bully me for it :(

I assume I should get a like, sleeve/brace without buckles?

https://anacondafightwear.co/products/anacondakneebrace

I use this one, but talk to your doctor yadayadayada

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I don't wear a brace, but I wear 3/4 length basketball tight with a built in kneepads and then regular spats over that (then gi pants over that regardless of whether we're doing gi or no-gi training).

When my knees were worse off, I liked the cheap Futuro braces you could get at Walgreens.

For a time I also used woven knee sleeves used for lifting. Not the neoprene ones, the ones that are like elastic material with fabric. Hercules knee sleeves from Strength Shop USA. They just create support through being tight. That worked well for a while but eventually it got to the point where they just felt too tight and uncomfortable.

I know some people swear by those $200 german ones but I've never had the scratch to get those.

Hellblazer187 fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Feb 20, 2024