Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I think the ending of Bioshock Infinite would have been infinitely :v: better if it had ended at the infinite lighthouses and infinite possibilities part. Instead they ruined it with some grimdark killing the protagonist nonsense and then ran that poo poo into the ground with some of the worst DLC I've ever played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

haveblue posted:

I mean, with 1, you could take any element of it and find some other element it tied into. The magic powers were discovered at the bottom of the sea, developed by the unethical scientists who had been attracted by Ryan's culture of individualism, given to the population through the laissez-faire market, and then it turned out they drove people crazy and that it might not have been a good idea to give a bunch of hardcore libertarians the ability to set each other on fire with their minds, which is why the city fell. Why are there plasmids in Infinite? What do they have to do with American founder-worship? You find the first one in a carnival game and they seem to have had absolutely no effect on the city's culture the way plasmids did on Rapture. Unless there's a whole lot of backstory I've forgotten, they exist because magic powers are part of shock-style combat and thus the game had to have them.

Are you kidding me with these questions? You're just making it obvious you rushed through Infinite without listening to the audio dialogues monologues.

Plasmids in Infinite were stolen from Rapture and the theme ties in with the existence of Elizabeth who was also stolen from another dimension and doesn't belong in this one.

Like... god where to even begin with this post.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

The DLC explains that, basically Tonics are knock-off Plasmids because they opened up a dimension where Rapture exists and stole the technology there. The DLC is also significantly worse than the main game of Infinite, if you always wanted to see Fontaine give Elizabeth a lobotomy then the DLC is for you.

haveblue posted:

I had heard that about the DLCs, which is why I never played them, and I don't want to see that, so I never will. Thanks!

No; not the DLC. There are direct audio logs in the base game without any DLC that tell you all of this in detail and it sets up the themes of the game. gently caress, there's a tear which lets you LISTEN IN as they discover the plasmids and rapture. You get to loving witness it.

No wonder you guys didn't like Infinite if you didn't even dig into it. You'd think Bioshock 1 sucked too if you didn't bother with the details.

The 'shock games are all about the details and reading/listening to the logs and if you skip those no wonder you didn't like or understand the story! That's where the story is!

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Mar 17, 2016

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I listened to the audio logs- three years ago. I had no problem recalling Bioshock 1 in much greater detail, which I hadn't played in literally three times as long. That says a lot more about Infinite than about my understanding of it.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

No; not the DLC. There are direct audio logs in the base game without any DLC that tell you all of this in detail and it sets up the themes of the game. gently caress, there's a tear which lets you LISTEN IN as they discover the plasmids and rapture. You get to loving witness it.

No wonder you guys didn't like Infinite if you didn't even dig into it. You'd think Bioshock 1 sucked too if you didn't bother with the details.

The 'shock games are all about the details and reading/listening to the logs and if you skip those no wonder you didn't like or understand the story! That's where the story is!

Sorry, but you're completely wrong. People had guessed that Fink had opened a rift to Rapture, but it wasn't explicitly confirmed until Burial at Sea Episode 1, in Yi Suchong's audio diary.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I didn't finish BioShock [1], so I am so lost right now.

I did get Infinite on PS3 for free through PS+, at least. Not feeling particularly compelled to try it, though (especially on PS3, either the framerate or resolution would be shot, surely, to say nothing of FPS aiming with a controller).

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Shadow Hog posted:

I didn't finish BioShock [1], so I am so lost right now.

I did get Infinite on PS3 for free through PS+, at least. Not feeling particularly compelled to try it, though (especially on PS3, either the framerate or resolution would be shot, surely, to say nothing of FPS aiming with a controller).

I played it on ps3 and it was fine.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Elliotw2 posted:

It's also low effort since it's probably not exactly a lot of work to recompile a UE3 game to a more modern version number.

It's UE 2 with major overhauls to it. Even then, if you pay remote attention to Unity updates, it's always a bitch to update to even a number.xx version of the same engine. I can imagine UE3 and UE4 is just as bad.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Mar 17, 2016

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I haven't played Bioshock 2 yet (I really should get around to doing that at some point), but Bioshock 1 and Bioshock: Infinite both deal with the idea of the illusion of choice. I think it worked really well in Bioshock 1, but it completely missed the mark in Infinite.

After the reveal in Bioshock 1, it occurs to you that you had no reason to follow the orders that Atlas/Fontaine gave you, and that you fulfill the objectives because you're under mind control. I thought that it was a clever commentary on how players follow the instructions they're given without question, and it fit well into the design of a largely linear game.

In Infinite, it doesn't really work. Early on, you have that scene where Booker gets the telegram that says, "Hey, don't go to the raffle and pick number 12' or whatever, and then you do exactly that. There isn't really a good reason why Booker disregards the message, other than that the player has to do it in order to continue the game. The premise is that you have access to infinite number of dimensions with endless possibilities, but the characters make the same choices each time. It would have been better to call the game Bioshock: Infinite, Save for Certain Constants

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

If it helps the discussion, I have a huge Bioshock Infinite poster. And also a Mario poster, they were the only good video game posters at Newbury Comics.

I can dig the criticism, but it is so above the majority of single-player FPS games in the past decade to me. But the pickings have been pretty slim.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Sorry, but you're completely wrong. People had guessed that Fink had opened a rift to Rapture, but it wasn't explicitly confirmed until Burial at Sea Episode 1, in Yi Suchong's audio diary.

http://bioshock.wikia.com/wiki/Out_of_the_Thin_Air

Its in the base game. Sorry but you're completely wrong :cheeky:

And I'm pretty sure there's more references than just that too. The Lutece twins reference it at some point.

E: Fink also talks about big daddies inspiring songbird.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Heavy Metal posted:

If it helps the discussion, I have a huge Bioshock Infinite poster. And also a Mario poster, they were the only good video game posters at Newbury Comics.

I can dig the criticism, but it is so above the majority of single-player FPS games in the past decade to me. But the pickings have been pretty slim.

Wolfenstein 2009 is a lot better

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

drrockso20 posted:

Wolfenstein 2009 is a lot better

I wasn't feeling that one, but I only played the demo. Speaking of demos, I don't know why they're less common nowadays, let's keep demos alive!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Go play it again (if you can find a copy) with the Retrostein mod. It's awesome.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Yeah, Wolfenstein 09 was loving fantastic. The guns in particular had a real weight to them, especially the particle cannon which just disintegrated everything in sight. A shame it's disappeared into legal rights limbo and Bethesda don't care enough to figure it out.

While we're all talking about more modern games, what exactly defines an 'early FPS' in 2016? I feel that anything from more than 10 years ago would now count as sufficiently retro, particularly considering how much everything changed after COD2 hit consoles in 2005. Something like Quake 4 or Timesplitters 2 has way more in common with older FPS games than the more cinematic ones we have these days.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Convex posted:

Yeah, Wolfenstein 09 was loving fantastic. The guns in particular had a real weight to them, especially the particle cannon which just disintegrated everything in sight. A shame it's disappeared into legal rights limbo and Bethesda don't care enough to figure it out.

While we're all talking about more modern games, what exactly defines an 'early FPS' in 2016? I feel that anything from more than 10 years ago would now count as sufficiently retro, particularly considering how much everything changed after COD2 hit consoles in 2005. Something like Quake 4 or Timesplitters 2 has way more in common with older FPS games than the more cinematic ones we have these days.

I don't think we could call anything from 2000+ early, but it's been long enough that it's a bit oldschool. I mean, either way this topic is pretty much just general FPS discussion from the perspective of oldschool FPS fans I guess. Talking stylistically, I found Quake 4 not very oldschool in level design, it was very linear/simplistic. To me Quake 4 and say Killzone 3 aren't hugely different in level design feel, at least as far as the campaign goes.

Then again, I guess in history the first decade of shooters after Doom would be considered early. But I don't want to consider it early right now. I'm a young man damnit

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I'd define early as being 20th century titles, everything from the new millennium is recent. In other words: Q3A in, Doom 3 out.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Convex posted:

I think the ending of Bioshock Infinite would have been infinitely :v: better if it had ended at the infinite lighthouses and infinite possibilities part. Instead they ruined it with some grimdark killing the protagonist nonsense[...]

Yeah, this is the twist I was talking about. I just found it very... lame, that didn't help an already middling story. I really liked the idea of going to alternate dimensions and timelines and jacking their poo poo, and I feel like if that had been the focus of the game it would be better, but I found the personal story to be just exceptionally weak.

Zaphod42 posted:

http://bioshock.wikia.com/wiki/Out_of_the_Thin_Air

Its in the base game. Sorry but you're completely wrong :cheeky:

And I'm pretty sure there's more references than just that too. The Lutece twins reference it at some point.

E: Fink also talks about big daddies inspiring songbird.

Oh? Neat, I either forgot or missed those (though that voxophone example is pretty drat vague).

Cat Mattress posted:

I'd define early as being 20th century titles, everything from the new millennium is recent. In other words: Q3A in, Doom 3 out.

The Kins, I think, puts the end of the "Early FPS Period" at the release of Unreal 2, but things are getting a bit fuzzy around that time.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I think the cutoff being 2000 for Early FPS is pretty fair. It leaves out Doom 3 and Half-Life 2, which I would say represent a more modern era of FPS games. And it leaves out Halo, for a similar reason for consoles.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I assume it's inclusive? Because screw it, Deus Ex counts in my book.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Lets be fair, even if the subject matter is focused on the older stuff, this place is pretty much the "discuss FPS's here that aren't bleeding edge, or maybe when they are when the topic deems it so" thread

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Well, sure. Old FPS discussion begets new FPS discussion, if only so that geriatrics can whine about how new games aren't as good as Knee Deep in the Dead.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I mean that's at least half of this thread.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Back in my day we had to earn our keys!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Elliotw2 posted:

I mean that's at least half of this thread.

This thread is like 90% Doom and 10% every other FPS most people don't play any more.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

haveblue posted:

This thread is like 90% Doom and 10% every other FPS most people don't play any more.

It's at least 1.6% Duke, baby

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
I'd say there was a transitory period going from 2001 to 2005, which serves as the endpoint for where "early FPS" design stopped being a thing. Halo and Half Life 2 were released, Unreal Tournament was still popular, the WWII FPSes started using iron sights and regenerating health, and then WWII started being supplanted by modern shooters like Battlefield 2 and Rainbow Six, and reviewers started calling games like Painkiller "throwbacks" and "old school."

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

Heavy Metal posted:

Roughly 0.001% is for Necrodome.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

catlord posted:

Oh? Neat, I either forgot or missed those (though that voxophone example is pretty drat vague).

Yeah, you do have to read between the lines a bit and really make sure you don't miss any voxophones, which is why in the DLC they made it waaaay more explicit.

The DLC was really good, and did pick up some of the things that weren't completely fleshed out in the main story of Infinite. But I still think people rag on it way too hard, if you really go back without rose-colored glasses, Bioshock 1 is pretty much the same drat game. Go here, flip switch, go here, talk to this guy, go here, press button, boss fight, game over. The devil is in the details. Bio 1 also has some problems with how tedious hacking gets and having to switch back and forth between guns and plasmids, which 2 and Infinite both improve on dramatically.

All the 'shock games are great!

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Among the Bioshock games, the only one I think I'd call "great" is 2. I do like the first two-thirds of 1, though, and it did a lot of the heavy lifting w/r/t the setting to help make 2 more streamlined, so it gets a pass in my book. It's a little more slow-paced and RPGish than 2, but that's fine. Everything after the twist is terrible, though.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Heavy Metal posted:

Keep it up, you'll get past step one eventually. :nallears:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Has this been posted before?

Brutal Doom 64

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zfp00OZuXCc

http://www.moddb.com/mods/brutal-doom-64

Svecke
Nov 8, 2008
So I just finished playing through the first episode of Quake on the Samsung Gear VR (courtesy of QuakeGVR: http://sideloadvr.com/detail.php?id=9). It was a... interesting experience.

I was wondering if anyone know of a Doom Gear VR source port in the works?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Svecke posted:

So I just finished playing through the first episode of Quake on the Samsung Gear VR (courtesy of QuakeGVR: http://sideloadvr.com/detail.php?id=9). It was a... interesting experience.

I was wondering if anyone know of a Doom Gear VR source port in the works?

http://rotatingpenguin.com/gz3doom/ works for Doom in VR but dunno about what you'd have to do to configure it for Gear, its meant more for Rift, but you could probably configure it to work?

Doom is really awkward in VR though because everything is sprites. Making it VR makes that even more obvious than playing with high resolution and texture filtering. Its not comfortable IMO.

Quake on the other hand is perfect for VR being entirely made of 3D polygons, and fairly simple ones at that.

Svecke
Nov 8, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

http://rotatingpenguin.com/gz3doom/ works for Doom in VR but dunno about what you'd have to do to configure it for Gear, its meant more for Rift, but you could probably configure it to work?

Doom is really awkward in VR though because everything is sprites. Making it VR makes that even more obvious than playing with high resolution and texture filtering. Its not comfortable IMO.

Quake on the other hand is perfect for VR being entirely made of 3D polygons, and fairly simple ones at that.

Thanks for the tip; I can at least mail them and ask if they've considered porting it to Android. :)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Svecke posted:

Thanks for the tip; I can at least mail them and ask if they've considered porting it to Android. :)

Its open source on github so you could try to do so yourself :cheeky: Good luck with that though.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Please tell me I can get a version of this with just the lighting, fog, and weapon animation updates because holy poo poo :fap:

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Zaphod42 posted:

The DLC was really good, and did pick up some of the things that weren't completely fleshed out in the main story of Infinite. But I still think people rag on it way too hard, if you really go back without rose-colored glasses, Bioshock 1 is pretty much the same drat game. Go here, flip switch, go here, talk to this guy, go here, press button, boss fight, game over. The devil is in the details. Bio 1 also has some problems with how tedious hacking gets and having to switch back and forth between guns and plasmids, which 2 and Infinite both improve on dramatically.

All the 'shock games are great!

The thing is, I don't really have rose-tinted glasses with Bioshock. I should replay it, but I found it largely inferior to SS2. I haven't played 2 yet though, I have heard it's quite good.

When did Doom 64 get a GZDoom port? I was thinking he'd somehow gotten this into Doom64EX, and then that just made me wonder how long it will take for BloodEX. I can't wait for that.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Commander Keenan posted:

Roughly 0.001% is for Necrodome.

Let's make it 0.002%, how have I never played a Raven software mecha shooty game.

Klaus88 posted:

Keep it up, you'll get past step one eventually. :nallears:

Always bet... on... *bzzt*... Duuuuuuke [my computer chip shuts down]

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

catlord posted:

The thing is, I don't really have rose-tinted glasses with Bioshock. I should replay it, but I found it largely inferior to SS2. I haven't played 2 yet though, I have heard it's quite good.

When did Doom 64 get a GZDoom port? I was thinking he'd somehow gotten this into Doom64EX, and then that just made me wonder how long it will take for BloodEX. I can't wait for that.

absolution? there's been tons of doom64 tc around for what feels like forever. (i think, at least, all i can think of now is absolution and one i had installed in doomsday or whatever the gently caress that thing was) ex is best of them i've played though. i like the reload animation on the shotgun, finally.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Mar 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Svecke posted:

Probably not happening unless you don't need sound or can convince them to port it to git gzdoom. FMOD doesn't work on Android.