Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

morestuff posted:

I'm sure some people would throw bows for American Werewolf in London, but as much as I like that movie it always feels paper thin

Its a great movie and I pretty much have nothing bad to say about it, but its just not quite up to the level of a RotLD or Re-animator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

does anyone else on the planet like the movie Yellowbrickroad or am i just a huge retarded person?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

A Spider Covets posted:

does anyone else on the planet like the movie Yellowbrickroad or am i just a huge retarded person?

Maybe. I thought it was okay.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Has anyone seen the new movie made by the Marble Hornets crew yet? It's called Always Watching and it involves Slenderman. I saw it available for rent but the PSN is charging $9.99 for a rental and that seems kind of steep.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Has anyone seen the new movie made by the Marble Hornets crew yet? It's called Always Watching and it involves Slenderman. I saw it available for rent but the PSN is charging $9.99 for a rental and that seems kind of steep.

I saw it and thought it was bad, but I never really got into Marble Hornets either.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
My new shameful secret is that I feel like The Return of the Living Dead really loses steam as it goes on, but even that's largely down to how hard it is to keep up with that near-perfect first act.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Thirding that Return of the Living Dead 3 is batshit insane if nothing else. It's a surprisingly romantic movie about zombie BDSM. Make sure and find the unrated version, the MPAA slashed it to ribbons.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jenny Angel posted:

My new shameful secret is that I feel like The Return of the Living Dead really loses steam as it goes on, but even that's largely down to how hard it is to keep up with that near-perfect first act.

How bout that ending, though?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Thirding that Return of the Living Dead 3 is batshit insane if nothing else. It's a surprisingly romantic movie about zombie BDSM. Make sure and find the unrated version, the MPAA slashed it to ribbons.

I thought I was the only person on the face of the earth to really like this movie until the last two pages of this thread.

I actually think Part 2 is passable though, if only for the joke where the actors from the first one, playing basically the same characters, have their little 4th wall moment of "I feel like we've done all this before."

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

A Spider Covets posted:

I liked the opening and middle quite a lot, but the last quarter really drags to an unfortunate ending.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Pretty sure that it's a completely separate group who just purchased the rights to Marble Hornets. As far as I know the original dudes visited the set one day and that's their contribution (but I haven't seen the film so this might be moot). As is I'm waiting for Netflix to pick it up.

zombieman
Aug 8, 2003

That's one happy fucking egg!

Glamorama26 posted:

Hey guys, is Bride of Frakenstein James Whale's 3rd best picture? Cuz I think The Invisible Man and The Old Dark House are better. All great films, but The Invisible Man is an underrated masterpiece.

James Whale was real good is all I'm saying.

I think The Old Dark House is his best film. Bride Of Frankenstein might be better shot, and of course The Invisible Man has the still stunning effects work, but The Old Dark House is a pitch perfect horror comedy.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Just thought I'd say if you haven't already got it the ROTLD blu-Ray is worth a purchase the transfer is pretty nice and it has a pretty fun documentary on it to.

ROTLD 3 owns as well but the less said about part 4 & 5 the better.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

How bout that ending, though?

Yeah the ending owns, and it's hard to think of something that involves a literal nuclear artillery shell blowing up all but two characters as "bittersweet", but that's definitely what it feels like. The implication of the whole zombification process is that it returns people as MORE of what they were, at least to some extent, as the origin of the zombie chemical was as a method of dealing with those drat (dangerous! frightful! young!) potheads - but it just created these creatures that are even ruder and even more defined by an addiction.

Hence Trash coming back as this flawless, predatory vampire queen. That's the "sweet" part. With the shelling and the rain just propagating the zombie infection further, she's going to come back again as even more sexually liberated and aggressive, and honestly, good for her. The "bitter" part, though, comes when someone like Freddy comes back and the unhealthy aspects of his relationship with Tina rise to the surface. Freddy's been full of golly-gee-shucks Americana from the get-go, but that kinda ends up being the other side of a coin as him pounding on a door screaming at a terrified Tina about how much he loves her.

But if the overall extended metaphor are that zombies represent the fears that older generations have about Kids These Days, and that fighting the zombies only makes them stronger and more of themselves, that tilts toward the positive end. Like someone else already mentioned, the movie is happy to mock the goofy fashion and self-importance these kids show, especially given there's like five cliques incongruously mashed together under the umbrella of Young People, but it ultimately portrays them as generally resourceful, accepting, and much kinder-hearted than the old folks. If Colonel Glover's plan is to nuke them over and over in the hopes that he can get back to his terrible boring life where even his favorite meal no longer brings him any joy, then the good news is that it's a poo poo plan and he's hosed.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Gaz2k21 posted:

Just thought I'd say if you haven't already got it the ROTLD blu-Ray is worth a purchase the transfer is pretty nice and it has a pretty fun documentary on it to.

ROTLD 3 owns as well but the less said about part 4 & 5 the better.

4 & 5 are such a loving travesty because the titles hint that they could be good movies, but no, nope, uh uh. Cheap, Romanian cash grabs shot simultaneously to maximize profits. gently caress those guys that made those pieces of poo poo.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yeah, I mean, I'll talk poo poo about Land of the Dead and Diary of the Dead all day, but ROTLD 5 is a much worse disgrace to its legacy. It's such absolute garbage, it shoots past so bad it's funny and is just miserable.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
ROTLD5 at least has a good name: Rave To The Grave. Or is that 4? Or is it 6?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

4 is Necropolis, 5 is Rave to the Grave. Or it's reversed. Whatever. They're so bad I'm not even going to bother checking.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I was thinking of whichever one has the cyborgs show up at the end. I guess it really doesn't matter which number that is.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

ruddiger posted:

4 is Necropolis, 5 is Rave to the Grave. Or it's reversed. Whatever. They're so bad I'm not even going to bother checking.

Yeah, I'm gonna be honest - I'm not even going to bother to check.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Necropolis was kinda fun, I thought. Not deserving of the name but a passable zombie movie on its own. Rave to the Grave can eat a hundred cocks though.

Seriously, though, RotLD3 is way underrated.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
I'm bummed that Return isn't on itunes, somehow every lovely sequel to it is though.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The first movie has some soundtrack issues that keep it from showing up on digital, if I remember correctly.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

E: wrong thread

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Apr 27, 2015

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
If you're up for some bewildering cinema, make sure you check out Death Bed The Bed That Eats.

The title is the basic premise. It's an evil bed that eats. At times, it is played as comedy (there is a scene where the Death Bed eats somebody's bucket of chicken). At other times, it is a weird baroque horror film. Sometimes it is just batshit.

There is a man trapped inside a painting. Not in the artwork, but literally trapped in a box behind the painting, where he watches the Death Bed eat people for eternity. The painting is a painting of the bed. There is the scene I've shown here, which needs to be seen to be believed. There's an old lady reading some sort of lesbian newspaper on the Death Bed.

There's so much to see.

This movie is featured prominently in Nightmare USA and the Blu-Ray has an introduction from Stephen Thrower (a very lo-fi introduction, but it's there).

This is also the movie that Patton Oswalt rants about in one of his specials, although he gets the title wrong, calling it "Death Bed the Bed That Eats People". It's actually just "the bed that eats" and we do in fact see it eat several things that are not people.

Check it out. Definitely better than the later ROTLD sequels and a true curiousity.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

TheJoker138 posted:

I thought I was the only person on the face of the earth to really like this movie until the last two pages of this thread.

I actually think Part 2 is passable though, if only for the joke where the actors from the first one, playing basically the same characters, have their little 4th wall moment of "I feel like we've done all this before."

Part 2 also has that bit at the end where they're electrocuting the zombies who are all gyrating from the shock, and the Michael Jackson zombie from "Thriller" (impersonator, of course) stumbles across the screen for a second.

I mean, yeah, it's a stupid gag, but it's hilariously stupid.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

All great horror comedy lists itt. But I have to give SLiTHER my number one spot. It's a very special film to me.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

A Spider Covets posted:

Great setup and cool visuals/ideas, crawls completely up its own rear end towards the end and stays there for the rest of the running time.

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010
We watched The Babadook and Housebound on Saturday. Neither are perfect films, but they are both good and were fun to watch. Last night, though, my roommate and I watched Hard Candy. Holy poo poo, that movie ate my soul.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Dead Alive wins this argument hands down because not only is it the best Horror Comedy, it's the greatest movie ever made.

And I'll defend Return of the Living Dead Part 2 all day long, I know my view on it is tinged by nostalgia but I loving loved it as a kid and I still do, it's really the perfect zombie movie for kids.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

InfiniteZero posted:

If you're up for some bewildering cinema, make sure you check out Death Bed The Bed That Eats.

The title is the basic premise. It's an evil bed that eats. At times, it is played as comedy (there is a scene where the Death Bed eats somebody's bucket of chicken). At other times, it is a weird baroque horror film. Sometimes it is just batshit.

There is a man trapped inside a painting. Not in the artwork, but literally trapped in a box behind the painting, where he watches the Death Bed eat people for eternity. The painting is a painting of the bed. There is the scene I've shown here, which needs to be seen to be believed. There's an old lady reading some sort of lesbian newspaper on the Death Bed.

There's so much to see.

This movie is featured prominently in Nightmare USA and the Blu-Ray has an introduction from Stephen Thrower (a very lo-fi introduction, but it's there).

This is also the movie that Patton Oswalt rants about in one of his specials, although he gets the title wrong, calling it "Death Bed the Bed That Eats People". It's actually just "the bed that eats" and we do in fact see it eat several things that are not people.

Check it out. Definitely better than the later ROTLD sequels and a true curiousity.

Seconding this. The bed eats thing by pulling them through beer. I think. It's been a while.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I'm also gonna pull for Death Bed. It's actually a half-way decent art film.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

CelticPredator posted:

All great horror comedy lists itt. But I have to give SLiTHER my number one spot. It's a very special film to me.

Slither's top-notch.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

There's definitely been some excellent horror-comedy since 2000, if I were putting together a lengthier all-time list stuff like Slither, Drag Me to Hell, and Shaun of the Dead would all probably end up in the top-10.

From what I remember Drag Me to Hell is more divisive around here than Slither or Shaun of the Dead. Personally I think its Raimi's best film other than Evil Dead 2.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Basebf555 posted:

From what I remember Drag Me to Hell is more divisive around here than Slither or Shaun of the Dead. Personally I think its Raimi's best film other than Evil Dead 2.

My biggest problem with Drag Me To Hell by far is the presence of Justin Long, an actor I hold a special kind of irrational distaste for. I believe that I've said before that for me he is the singular actor I know of capable of ruining a film that is playing in the theatre beside the film he actually appears in.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

InfiniteZero posted:

My biggest problem with Drag Me To Hell by far is the presence of Justin Long, an actor I hold a special kind of irrational distaste for. I believe that I've said before that for me he is the singular actor I know of capable of ruining a film that is playing in the theatre beside the film he actually appears in.

I'm the opposite in that I have this weird, irrational affection for Justin Long. He comes off as extremely likeable to me in everything he does, even poo poo that I don't like in general. His character in Drag Me to Hell goes a long way towards making me give a poo poo about whats going on, I really root for him and Christine to be ok in the end. They are both characters who are kinda assholes, but have a genuine quality about them that makes it impossible to root against them. Lohman and Long's performances are what give the characters that quality, otherwise the movie would have no heart.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Ravenous? Possibly not a comedy, definitely really funny.

Neumonic
Sep 25, 2003

This is my serious face.

InfiniteZero posted:

There IS something weird and repulsive about him but I think that's his charm, like Steve Buscemi or Peter Lorre dialed down to ~30%. It works really well in Tusk-- he can pull off a really dickish and unlikable performance if he wants. I'd like to see him cast as a creepy villain like Ryan Reynolds in The Voices or Jake Gyllenhaal in Nightcrawler.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Neumonic posted:

like Steve Buscemi or Peter Lorre

Bite your tongue, unless you mean "Escape From LA" Steve Buscemi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Neumonic posted:

There IS something weird and repulsive about him but I think that's his charm, like Steve Buscemi or Peter Lorre dialed down to ~30%. It works really well in Tusk-- he can pull off a really dickish and unlikable performance if he wants. I'd like to see him cast as a creepy villain like Ryan Reynolds in The Voices or Jake Gyllenhaal in Nightcrawler.

He also plays a reprehensible douchebag junkie in The Lookalike, which is a piece of poo poo, but he's good in it.