Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

KoRMaK posted:

Was it in here that I posted that ska is bad, or is this thread also succumbing to virulent ska chat???

e: it wasnt, how is ska going around the forums? its very bad

ska chat = skat which is my opinion of both the music and the discussion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Enourmo posted:

Scat? So you're more into Jazz then?

IPCRESS posted:

"Yeah, but see right innit is braaaap braaapin' on a racetrack like where the turbo right never spins down makes cars way faster man, innit, while my Corsa's right fast'n all that 'cause my sick anti-lag like bruv just fuckin' bapbapbapbap an' like keeps the turbo and poo poo all spun up an' ready to like take off full race car innit bruv, even from the lights".

The tragedy is that the owners typically reproduce before meeting their natural predator: the roadside telegraph pole, sideways on a rainy night.

Shame that they also take nice cars down with them from time to time. Certain 90's Nissans without salvage titles have become almost impossible to find thanks to DRIFFT KANGS

donut
Feb 4, 2001

InitialDave posted:

Maybe you don't get them quite as bad, but the ones I've seen (and very much heard) here take "bit of extra fuelling" to the levels that are on a par with a coal-rolling brotruck. They properly bang like old-school anti-lag, to the point it's ridiculous. Like the old "ignition off at full throttle then back on" trick.

People do it deliberately to be noisy cunts, it's well beyond just a safety-margin enrichment for preservation. My opinion would probably be somewhat more mellow were it actually nice cars rather than shitbox barry'd-up hatchbacks. An Ur-Quattro doing it is good and right. A Corsa doing it is loving tragic.
Spend some time in Beverly Hills and I guarantee you'll see some rich manchild in a matte orange new BMW attempting 0-100-0 runs on every block of Rodeo Drive, backfiring the whole way.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Enourmo posted:

The card game :confused:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

charliemonster42 posted:

I actually enjoyed the first ~90 seconds of this song.

It's me. I'm the terrible car stuff. :smith:
Collegehumor's music stuff was great because they actually did a half decent job of what they were trying to take the piss out of.

cakesmith handyman posted:

This comment sourced from the daily mail.
Comment was factually accurate and didn't mention immigrants, Muslims, house prices, or Brexit. 2/10 Daily Mail rating.

donut posted:

Spend some time in Beverly Hills and I guarantee you'll see some rich manchild in a matte orange new BMW attempting 0-100-0 runs on every block of Rodeo Drive, backfiring the whole way.
That also sounds pretty loving tragic to me.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
If you hate ska you've obviously never listened to the aquabats

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Enourmo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FE0XcdM22Yo

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Ska like psytrance, is bad music and seems to be loved by people who have a desire to cling to one particular time of their lives when they first heard it. It's how all the rock clubs in your home town still have the exact same clientele after 15 years, nobody moved on musically or personally, it's 'safe' for them.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

______ like ______, is bad ______ and seems to be loved by people who have a desire to cling to one particular time of their lives when they first ______it. It's how all the ______ in your home town still have the exact same clientele after 15 years, nobody moved on ______ or personally, it's 'safe' for them.

It's like the "don't like thing" comic, but in mad lib form.
Try it out on your favorite terrible car whines and whinges. It works!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

The real tragedy here is that people now associate ska with terrible suburban skater kid music and don't even know what Trojan Records is.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Ska like psytrance, is bad music and seems to be loved by people who have a desire to cling to one particular time of their lives when they first heard it. It's how all the rock clubs in your home town still have the exact same clientele after 15 years, nobody moved on musically or personally, it's 'safe' for them.

Yeah - because the recording industry has certainly done nothing but elevate itself in the 20-odd years since then, right?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Geoj posted:

Yeah - because the recording industry has certainly done nothing but elevate itself in the 20-odd years since then, right?

Recording industry? Are you in your 50s there grandpa?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I am sonny.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

*runs all over your front lawn*

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Olympic Mathlete posted:

OK - same thing, but with lovely hipster indie "oh I'm sure you've never heard of them :smug:" bands then.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

fridge corn posted:

If you hate ska you've obviously never listened to the aquabats

:agreed:

I'll also crank up Streetlight Manifesto anytime it pops up on Pandora. Apparently Toh Kay now does a bunch of acoustic versions of their old songs and they're pretty :krad:.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Geoj posted:

OK - same thing, but with lovely hipster indie "oh I'm sure you've never heard of them :smug:" bands then.

I'm sorry I made fun of your favourite genre. There's plenty of other music out there though and a whole lot of it is really good to the point where the stuff you used to listen to seems kinda lame, you just have to explore and open your mind to have it massaged by melody :toot:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I'm sorry I made fun of your favourite genre.

No, please, continue to poo poo all over me because I like something you don't. I enjoy it.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

That's a bit of a weird fetish, dude but then it's 2016 I suppose, the year where anything goes.

On topic, this beaut:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Ford loving Citrine Yellow.

Been a while since I've seen that.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Scruff McGruff posted:

:agreed:

I'll also crank up Streetlight Manifesto anytime it pops up on Pandora. Apparently Toh Kay now does a bunch of acoustic versions of their old songs and they're pretty :krad:.

Sat in traffic all morning listening to Suicide Machines and Streetlight Manifesto thanks to this thread.
I guess the terrible car stuff is the traffic?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Okay what boat-hulled turd-coloured garbage have the British army replaced their Landies with now? Because I passed four on the way home and they were all exhibiting some amount of crabbing, the lead vehicle having it's front and rear axle out of line by at least 18".

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Okay what boat-hulled turd-coloured garbage have the British army replaced their Landies with now? Because I passed four on the way home and they were all exhibiting some amount of crabbing, the lead vehicle having it's front and rear axle out of line by at least 18".

Nothing can possibly be a worse infantry vehicle than the Bombardier/VW Iltis that we use.

The combat-ready protection of a damp Power Wheels meets the chassis stability, centre of gravity and fast steering response of a rickshaw and the power of a fat guy walking up a down escalator.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Dec 8, 2016

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

How big was it? They haven't really "replaced" Landies, but they have a few "protected patrol vehicles", though I couldn't name one the same size as a Landie.

Might have been a Panther? They look like a copyright-dodging plastic Hummer.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Nothing can possibly be a worse infantry vehicle than the Bombardier/VW Iltis that we use.

The combat-ready protection of a damp Power Wheels meets the chassis stability, centre of gravity and fast steering response of a rickshaw and the power of a fat guy walking up a down escalator.

a WV Thing on steroids?

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

InitialDave posted:

How big was it? They haven't really "replaced" Landies, but they have a few "protected patrol vehicles", though I couldn't name one the same size as a Landie.

Haha, you weren't kidding, they totally look like an up-armored knockoff of the H2.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iveco_LMV

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

InitialDave posted:

http://www.army.mod.uk/equipment/23437.aspx says foxhound. It looked about the same size as a landie on the road but I'm open to correction.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://twitter.com/cpiazzi/status/806965742214254593

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

That's not terrible, that's awe inspiring. That's a man committed to a half-assed plan. :patriot:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Yeah I wasn't sure which thread to put that in. Godspeed you lazy motherfucker

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
What in the gently caress is that

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

http://www.army.mod.uk/equipment/23437.aspx says foxhound. It looked about the same size as a landie on the road but I'm open to correction.
In fairness, they're probably not far off the footprint of a 110, but they're REALLY heavy.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

BraveUlysses posted:

What in the gently caress is that

The beam he's trying to load? Looks like a composite timber support beam - the kind of thing you'd lay down the centerline of a big house to nail floor joists to, or at the peak of a self-supporting roof.

They also weigh a metric fuckton, which makes me believe that's a shopped image.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

optimism.jpg

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I miss driving the iltis

Lose the "key"? Use a bic pen. amazing low gear. I have a buddy who bought a surplus one, and a wrecked Jetta TDI and transplanted the engine. It now has a hilarious amount of grunt.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Say hello to the direct cousin to the Quattro. They took the design influence of the Iltis and used it as the basis for the Quattro.

And Audi prepped Iltis raced in the Dakar rally.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Dec 9, 2016

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

CommieGIR posted:

Say hello to the direct cousin to the Quattro. They took the design influence of the Iltis and used it as the basis for the Quattro.

And Audi prepped Iltis raced in the Dakar rally.

Can VW even make a car so bad that Volkswagen people won't try to buy it?

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Focus

https://goo.gl/photos/prnqNbS5VqGXFyf8A

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Eh, that barcode on the back side windows shows it's an ex-rental anyway, so it's a mechanical failure waiting to happen even without the... uh.. custom... bodywork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Eh, that barcode on the back side windows shows it's an ex-rental anyway, so it's a mechanical failure waiting to happen even without the... uh.. custom... bodywork.

It was almost certainly written off in a rear end accident.