Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Baal posted:

I was playing Garou with a friend the other day and when he told me raging storm was no longer a pretzel motion I said "No wonder no one likes this loving game"

This even persists in CvS2: Geese's raging storm in a pretzel whereas Rock's is qcfx2

idk why I know this about a game I hate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Rock Howard loving sucks

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Dear SNK please bring back Kushnood Butt

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Baal posted:

Rock Howard loving sucks

hes no rick howard
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehZBdh-1rzQ&hd=1

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

inthesto posted:

I always laugh a little when the Garou pre-match screen reads BUTT ROCK.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Gutcruncher posted:

Im very mad that Pangoro isnt in Pokken. Like what the gently caress Namco.

Goro is already in da game.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Gutcruncher posted:

Im very mad that Pangoro isnt in Pokken. Like what the gently caress Namco.

$5 per character, 600+ pokemon for DLC, let's go

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

I love that the answer to "how did they get Xrd to look so good" is "pure raw stubborn effort"

they did everything slow and painful and it pays off

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

Baal posted:

I was playing Garou with a friend the other day and when he told me raging storm was no longer a pretzel motion I said "No wonder no one likes this loving game"

rock howard forsakes his father's legacy

he's terry's boy now

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

punk rebel ecks posted:

So I decided to do some research of how long it takes each developer to make a fighting game character depending on how detailed they are.

What I found out from doing research and talking to developers:

Basic 3D Models = ~ 1 month per character
Arcana Heart resolution sprites = ~2 months per character
Guilty Gear Xrd character models = ~4 months per character
Blazblue = ~5 months per character
King of Fighters XIII = ~16 months
Skullgirls = "2,000 person hours"

This writeup was very informative.

Surprised to see that Xrd characters take almost as much time to make as Blazblue HD sprites.

Arc System Works did a good GDC not too long ago.

Number of months isn't a very useful figure. A 15 person team can produce a lot more content in a month than a 4 person team.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Jmcrofts posted:

Number of months isn't a very useful figure. A 15 person team can produce a lot more content in a month than a 4 person team.

This is very correct. For example Skullgirls at its peak had something like 20 animators or whatever. The two months quote came from an extremely small indie developer, the basic 3D model figure came from that same indie developer, so that is probably the only direct comparison I have. King of Fighters XII had like 40 sprite artists. Xrd uses 3D models so things are a bit less straight forward, but it is at least around 10 people who worked on the character model graphics.* It's a bit tricky with this game because due to its unique style I don't know what to count toward it. Blazblue had around two dozen people working on the sprites.

I realize this is apples and oranges to a degree because a huge advantage of 2D is the fact that, from what I understand, you can divide the workload a lot easier. But just measuring the amount of time it seems that 2D takes longer than 3D in a ratio around 2 to 1.

However, it is some interesting information.

*Arc System Works said on GDC that "they use 3 to 4 modelers all together" and "it takes 2 months to model a single character and another 2 months to animate them".

EDIT - Another interesting tidbit is part of what makes Guilty Gear Xrd look 2D is that the animation sucks. When the animation has a lot of high frames it begins to look 3D.

EDIT 2- With price things become even stranger. Skullgirls characters cost around $250k to make while Street Fighter IV characters cost significantly more. Sure Skullgirls is made in Korea, but apparently the wages between the two countries aren't that much different anymore. You would think more animators and time would result in higher cost?

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Mar 26, 2016

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

punk rebel ecks posted:

So there is this cool Brazilian indie fighting ame in development called TRAF.

It's essentially based around using one button to attack but the direction you hold on the stick determines what attack you do. Similar to Super Smash Bros. What is a bit different is if you move the stick in a certain direction while pressing a button you also do a move that is a little bit more powerful and complicated. It has some nice sprite art and all in all its pretty cool to have a fighting game not developed in Japan or America and it really shows.

The game has a beta as a free download to try out.

I don't think I like this "one-button" scheme, but hey, at least it doesn't seem to be a mediocre "Capoeira Warriors" fighting game.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

punk rebel ecks posted:

EDIT - Another interesting tidbit is part of what makes Guilty Gear Xrd look 2D is that the animation sucks. When the animation has a lot of high frames it begins to look 3D.

the way they use keyframes makes the game pop visually and also easy to understand

Doggboat
Oct 17, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

EDIT 2- With price things become even stranger. Skullgirls characters cost around $250k to make while Street Fighter IV characters cost significantly more.
It's not strange if you think about how many people are involved and how many more stages things have to go through in a bigger company.
Btw the number I have seen floating around(probably from some interview) for a character in MvC3 was 500k.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Doggboat posted:

It's not strange if you think about how many people are involved and how many more stages things have to go through in a bigger company.
Btw the number I have seen floating around(probably from some interview) for a character in MvC3 was 500k.

Is this one of those big business stereotypes of "the process of actually doing the 'meat' of the work is actually a fraction of the total costs"?

Like doing the actual animation of the character isn't even the most costly thing when making sprites or 3D models?

It could explain why so many indie fighters use 2D characters rather than 3D ones, despite being common knowledge that 3D is cheaper.

EDIT - I remember this slide from Skullgirls Squigly campaign. I guess $30,000 is for the animation only? I thought staff + animation was the total for the grunt of the character work.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Mar 26, 2016

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

punk rebel ecks posted:

EDIT - I remember this slide from Skullgirls Squigly campaign. I guess $30,000 is for the animation only? I thought staff + animation was the total for the grunt of the character work.

Squiggly was like half-complete when they launched their Kickstarter. Also SG wasn't made in Korea!

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Mattavist posted:

Squiggly was like half-complete when they launched their Kickstarter. Also SG wasn't made in Korea!

I recall the developer stating they outsource their animation to South Korea.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Does Zone live in Korea?

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

punk rebel ecks posted:

I recall the developer stating they outsource their animation to South Korea.

I dunno if Zone himself is in Korea, but they did hire contractors. The team still does the main animation and layouts and timings, but a lot of the cleanup is where they started looking into contractors. They haven't said where those contractors were, but I kind of doubt they were from Korea all things considered.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I just realized that if Skullgirls man hours were divided up by 4 people it would take the same amount of time as Guilty Gear Xrd despite having an average of 1,500 frames per character rather than ~1,000 (assuming Xrd has the same amount of frames per character as Blazblue).

The (could be wrong) math I used:
2000/4 = 500
500/40 = 12.5

12.5 weeks is the equivalent to roughly three months. Assuming Skullgirls creates 50% more individual frames than Xrd, the process still takes less time. ONe also has to remember that Guilty Gear Xrd's process involves more than just modeling as well. I'm starting to become really impressed by Guilty Gear Xrd. I initially thought they were taking the easy route by going with polygons. Didn't know that making 3D look 2D was so labor intensive.

Ventana posted:

I dunno if Zone himself is in Korea, but they did hire contractors. The team still does the main animation and layouts and timings, but a lot of the cleanup is where they started looking into contractors. They haven't said where those contractors were, but I kind of doubt they were from Korea all things considered.

It's just that I could have swore I heard one of the developers say the contractors were from Korea on some message board.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Mar 26, 2016

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

inthesto posted:

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Ventana posted:

One of my friends did contract work for Skullgirls and she definitely doesn't live in Korea

I'm sure the contracts just went out to whoever would take them

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
i played some pokken last night and it's Good

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I got pokken last night. I like gengar and pika mysterio

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It is, pomp. Good job on ur top 16, btw.

Also the time to do tandem in the DC version of JoJo's is insulting long, like that explains how I keep seeing this silly rear end combo vids with it

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Mar 26, 2016

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

Did you just win guilty gear? or are you a different bear who plays chipp.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

He did, at NCR, minutes ago.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

I only ask because another good chipp i play also has bear in his name.

Good job bear

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
boo that man actually

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Pomp posted:

boo that man actually

Good job to you too mr pool stick and wig.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

BlueKingBar posted:

I don't like pretzels irl but that's probably my favorite fighting game motion.

Whoever invented 720's can go die in a fire though. I can barely do 360's personally.

I can't even do them with consistency, I'm glad somebody else feels this way. I think I like Alex as much as I do because he's a grappler who has a 720 super but there are other options that can be straight up devastating. Whereas Zangief, not so much, which is sad, because he's a fun character!

Also, any tips to get better with Chipp? I really enjoy using him but have trouble doing his Maximum Spider-like super, and usually just do his Ryoko Ranbu-type super instead.

Do any of you remember Star Gladiator? How was it?

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Mar 27, 2016

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I can't even do them with consistency, I'm glad somebody else feels this way. I think I like Alex as much as I do because he's a grappler who has a 720 super but there are other options that can be straight up devastating. Whereas Zangief, not so much, which is sad, because he's a fun character!

Also, any tips to get better with Chipp? I really enjoy using him but have trouble doing his Maximum Spider-like super, and usually just do his Ryoko Ranbu-type super instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op2DxT-QDtI

Apparently amazing, but just too darned easy!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Gutcruncher posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op2DxT-QDtI

Apparently amazing, but just too darned easy!

Visually, it looks real good for the time period. Kinda want them to integrate a couple characters into a Capcom Vs. series now.....

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Hyperbomb was 360 and his other command grab (power bomb) was a half circle like most SNK command grabs.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

StickButtonchat! I finished overhauling my Hitbox to make it PS4/Xinput compatible. Also prettier.

http://imgur.com/a/oMWdB

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Looks pretty sweet. I hear double tapping is more difficult on the 24mm buttons, you ever tried both?

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

No, I never really learned to double tap. I can see how it would be tougher though.

BlueKingBar
Jan 25, 2016

Hey guys let's just literally never talk to me again maybe that'll fix things
Honestly if I got a controller (i.e. I had money) I'd get that. I know you made it yourself, but I'm saying it looks slick as gently caress and I think a hitbox would sit well with me.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Visually, it looks real good for the time period. Kinda want them to integrate a couple characters into a Capcom Vs. series now.....

Star Gladiator had representatives in the Marvel Vs Capcom and SNK Vs Capcom Cardfighters series :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

Baal posted:

Rock Howard loving sucks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q81ptFSA4mk

• Locked thread