Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I like the little switch hanging amidst the cable spaghetti like a fly trapped in a spider's web.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
So did you get part of the profit or how did no one do anything about that?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
So, I've been in desktop support for 4 and a half years.

Advancing here isn't an option, they don't even let me sit in and watch and they are intent on lifting up someone else. I interviewed for a couple companies, got pretty deep, but ultimately got walked because I just didn't have the higher skills needed. One was for security, I guess I wasn't passionate enough for it, I mean what do you want me to do? I can't make them give me the experience you want. I'm doing ICND1, but gently caress is it hard to focus. I don't even know if that's enough to get anything going to get the hell out. If I get the networking piece, they'll still want the AD piece, and if get that it's oh we virtualized and automated everything so not only do we not need as many techs, you don't know that either. :byewhore:

Feels like the only way one up is know absolutely everything, which obviously isn't realistic. I just don't know what to do anymore and it's seriously bumming me out. I don't want to coast forever. It's been 10 years since I started college. It was simple and on rails, go to college, get the degree, get the job, get a better job. Well, now the part about getting a better job feels like a huge chasm. The knowledge I was gonna gain from this job, all went to someone else and now I just do musical chairs with people's desk and replace fusers and get woken up at 3am because someone forgot their password.

Am I even doing the right thing by getting a CCNA? Is that even still how people advance in this industry? I try to keep up with the industry, but I'm in the healthcare bubble with a place that can't even keep the elevators running, so I'm only exposed to stuff that's way behind the curve run by people who with all due respect, also way behind the curve.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

skooma512 posted:

So, I've been in desktop support for 4 and a half years.

Advancing here isn't an option, they don't even let me sit in and watch and they are intent on lifting up someone else. I interviewed for a couple companies, got pretty deep, but ultimately got walked because I just didn't have the higher skills needed. One was for security, I guess I wasn't passionate enough for it, I mean what do you want me to do? I can't make them give me the experience you want. I'm doing ICND1, but gently caress is it hard to focus. I don't even know if that's enough to get anything going to get the hell out. If I get the networking piece, they'll still want the AD piece, and if get that it's oh we virtualized and automated everything so not only do we not need as many techs, you don't know that either. :byewhore:

Feels like the only way one up is know absolutely everything, which obviously isn't realistic. I just don't know what to do anymore and it's seriously bumming me out. I don't want to coast forever. It's been 10 years since I started college. It was simple and on rails, go to college, get the degree, get the job, get a better job. Well, now the part about getting a better job feels like a huge chasm. The knowledge I was gonna gain from this job, all went to someone else and now I just do musical chairs with people's desk and replace fusers and get woken up at 3am because someone forgot their password.

Am I even doing the right thing by getting a CCNA? Is that even still how people advance in this industry? I try to keep up with the industry, but I'm in the healthcare bubble with a place that can't even keep the elevators running, so I'm only exposed to stuff that's way behind the curve run by people who with all due respect, also way behind the curve.

Healthcare usually has a few departments that get high-end tech unless you work with tiny clinics only.

But yeah, in regards to the CCNA and advancing, it's only a stepping stone if you want to become a networking guy exclusively. If you wanna remain in general tech I wouldn't assume that it will help you too much.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

SEKCobra posted:

Healthcare usually has a few departments that get high-end tech unless you work with tiny clinics only.

But yeah, in regards to the CCNA and advancing, it's only a stepping stone if you want to become a networking guy exclusively. If you wanna remain in general tech I wouldn't assume that it will help you too much.

It's a hospital, but budgetary concerns mean everything is behind. We still have XP around and we only just got our Server 2003 stuff mostly upgraded last year.

So, what should be the next move then? I know this is down to my interests ultimately, but I'd rather not spend a year getting a cert that doesn't really count for anything.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

George H.W. oval office posted:

But how much did he make from that hilarious operation?
Since all cryptocurrency idiots are the same greedy fucks, I can without knowing him tell you with 99% certainty that he never sold any because bitcoin can only go up, up, up! And then he likely lost them all when one of the exchanges got "hacked" (i.e. the site owners ran off with the Dunning-Krugerrands)

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

skooma512 posted:

It's a hospital, but budgetary concerns mean everything is behind. We still have XP around and we only just got our Server 2003 stuff mostly upgraded last year.

So, what should be the next move then? I know this is down to my interests ultimately, but I'd rather not spend a year getting a cert that doesn't really count for anything.

Well if you want to go into Routing/Networking a CCNA is great and (at least around here) almost guarantees you get paid more in that role. But if that's not your niche, I personally don't think it will do too much for your career, especially if you have the networking basics down already.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
I had a phone interview today for a Network Admin position, seemed to go pretty well. They are sending me a technical assessment done by Select2Perform. Anyone have any experience with these?

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
All the ones I've ever seen ask ridiculously obscure questions that have no bearing on actual duties performed and are a lovely crutch for companies that suck at hiring

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
This is what I get for not looking at the website. New job has four options: A modest Lenovo T470s, decked out P50, modest macbook, decked out macbookpro. I picked the P50 and jesus christ what a mistake. It has a 10-keypad which serves to just make the real keyboard awkward to type on and it's heavier than my current mid-2012 MBP. Doesn't even have USB-C. Whoops.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

H110Hawk posted:

This is what I get for not looking at the website. New job has four options: A modest Lenovo T470s, decked out P50, modest macbook, decked out macbookpro. I picked the P50 and jesus christ what a mistake. It has a 10-keypad which serves to just make the real keyboard awkward to type on and it's heavier than my current mid-2012 MBP. Doesn't even have USB-C. Whoops.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
:yotj: question time!
coworker just pointed out that a neighboring county is hiring for a position similar to the one I currently hold.

My long term goal was to stay here a couple more years and be vested in the pension.
Bought a house this year, planning on a kid next year... by the time the dust has settled on all that I'll be vested and probably be ready to start looking again.
I think it's a good plan, but my coworker thinks I'm batshit nuts for not taking the rest of the day off to go get my resume together and apply to this.

I mean, let's be honest... I leave here and go take a new job for about the same, possibly less salary for what? To come back here in an attempt to get a raise?
How likely would you be to hire the same guy back a year or two later?

I get that job-hopping is how you make the money, but I took a government job specifically because I don't really want to do the job hopping. I'm in a good place, making a decent salary, and I've got plenty of other poo poo to worry about.
Why is that so hard for people to understand? Am I just weird?

e: I just checked and the job is basically computer janitor / printer monkey.
Now I'm wondering if my coworker just wants me gone or is projecting his insecurities onto me.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Aug 1, 2017

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

coworker just pointed out that a neighboring county is hiring for a position similar to the one I currently hold.

My long term goal was to stay here a couple more years and be vested in the pension.
Bought a house this year, planning on a kid next year... by the time the dust has settled on all that I'll be vested and probably be ready to start looking again.
I think it's a good plan, but my coworker thinks I'm batshit nuts for not taking the rest of the day off to go get my resume together and apply to this.

I mean, let's be honest... I leave here and go take a new job for about the same, possibly less salary for what? To come back here in an attempt to get a raise?

I get that job-hopping is how you make the money, but I took a government job specifically because I don't really want to do the job hopping. I'm in a good place, making a decent salary, and I've got plenty of other poo poo to worry about.
Why is that so hard for people to understand? Am I just wierd?

Update the resume, do the interview. If they make an offer and it's not enough to make it worth your while, you don't have to take it.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Why is that so hard for people to understand? Am I just weird?

e: I just checked and the job is basically computer janitor / printer monkey.
Now I'm wondering if my coworker just wants me gone or is projecting his insecurities onto me.

Ehhhh I'd say get the pension then work elsewhere, I know guys that have 2-3 pensions rolling in their 50s and are still working another job for a 3rd or 4th pension, I do know of 2 people that "retired" on 2 pensions in their 40s, they do occasional contract work but overall live on that income and are (hoping) the pensions don't go poof and that SS is still around once they're eligible, they also invested fairly well early in life, despite the market crash, have a decent nest egg.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

MF_James posted:

Ehhhh I'd say get the pension then work elsewhere, I know guys that have 2-3 pensions rolling in their 50s and are still working another job for a 3rd or 4th pension, I do know of 2 people that "retired" on 2 pensions in their 40s, they do occasional contract work but overall live on that income and are (hoping) the pensions don't go poof and that SS is still around once they're eligible, they also invested fairly well early in life, despite the market crash, have a decent nest egg.

Getting the pension then going to work for the aforementioned neighboring county is actually my plan.
But even if I DID get the job, I'm only like a year and a half from pensioning up.
Doesn't seem worth it to lose a pension in order to take a lower position elsewhere for less money.

Truth be told, I've already got a decent retirement waiting for me in S&P stocks. But I want to take that and buy a second house and a really big loving boat, and live off the pension money to buy groceries or give my kids heroin money or whatever it is rich people do nowadays.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Aug 1, 2017

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hi All,

Looking for some senior level interview advice.

I have ~7 years system administration experience primarily with enterprise scheduling and devops automation, through a family connection I have a coffee chat with a VP of CRM software like salesforce and adobe products at a large company about possible openings next week.

Is there any sort of overlap in my skillset and CRM here, has anyone jumped from senior sysadmin of system A at one company to senior sysadmin of system B at another company, how did you highlight your strengths and step around weakness of knowledge of their systems.

Family connection and the VP are friends so it's a pretty strong endorsement, just want to make sure I don't step off the path too far and keep the conversation focused on what will land me the job.

From what I can tell salesforce has extremely customizable reports and it's own scripting language called Apex. Can anyone recommend me some resources to sound more knowledgable about the product? I've been looking at some youtube videos but they're all pretty high level and I'm not really sure where to zoom in on.

Thanks

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Getting the pension then going to work for the aforementioned neighboring county is actually my plan.
But even if I DID get the job, I'm only like a year and a half from pensioning up.
Doesn't seem worth it to lose a pension in order to take a lower position elsewhere for less money.

Truth be told, I've already got a decent retirement waiting for me in S&P stocks. But I want to take that and buy a second house and a really big loving boat, and live off the pension money to buy groceries or give my kids heroin money or whatever it is rich people do nowadays.

Sounds like you've got a solid plan, even if it sucks 1.5years till you're vested in the pension isn't that long, you can line up a new job (and maybe some off time) prior to being vested and then GTFO immediately.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

MF_James posted:

Sounds like you've got a solid plan, even if it sucks 1.5years till you're vested in the pension isn't that long, you can line up a new job (and maybe some off time) prior to being vested and then GTFO immediately.

I mean... I like it here. I have no problem with this place.
I'm just wondering if I'm alone in being just fine with my current salary and current employer...
I mean my boss is a dick, but I really don't give a gently caress.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I'm just wondering if I'm alone in being just fine with my current salary and current employer...

A year and a half is nothing if you are ok with the job. Stick to it until you get the pension and after that see if there's something you like better. If not stick around.

Best way to look for a better job is if you don't actually want/have to switch. If it isn't better by a long shot you can say no and keep looking.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

Hadlock posted:

Hi All,

Looking for some senior level interview advice.

I have ~7 years system administration experience primarily with enterprise scheduling and devops automation, through a family connection I have a coffee chat with a VP of CRM software like salesforce and adobe products at a large company about possible openings next week.

Is there any sort of overlap in my skillset and CRM here, has anyone jumped from senior sysadmin of system A at one company to senior sysadmin of system B at another company, how did you highlight your strengths and step around weakness of knowledge of their systems.

Family connection and the VP are friends so it's a pretty strong endorsement, just want to make sure I don't step off the path too far and keep the conversation focused on what will land me the job.

From what I can tell salesforce has extremely customizable reports and it's own scripting language called Apex. Can anyone recommend me some resources to sound more knowledgable about the product? I've been looking at some youtube videos but they're all pretty high level and I'm not really sure where to zoom in on.

Thanks

Are they asking you to be a sysadmin or a Salesforce admin? Cause the latter sounds like a pointless step backward for you unless there is some sort of actual DevOps work in there for you. And I'm not sure what that would really entail.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

milk milk lemonade posted:

Are they asking you to be a sysadmin or a Salesforce admin? Cause the latter sounds like a pointless step backward for you unless there is some sort of actual DevOps work in there for you. And I'm not sure what that would really entail.

Their department handles all the CRM for a pretty large company, from the sounds of it. It sounds like if they don't have an immediate position open, they're capable of making one or giving me first grabs when something appropriate comes open.

Why would I not want to specialize as a Salesforce admin? Do you have experience with that position? Should I be looking more at a salesforce developer position instead, or salesforce analyst, etc? I've written a handful of programs in Python, and serious systems automation in powershell, bash, and have exposure to go, ruby etc. Coding business logic for enterprise stuff seems to be pretty :yawn: from a skills perspective.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Salesforce is its own thing, so if you're going to spend time specializing in it you're making a bet career-wise that it's still relevant in the future. I've worked with and been around enough companies who use it to know most Salesforce implementations are janked-together trash that are trying to extend the usefulness of a sorta limited platform. I wouldn't bother personally, but there are probably people in this thread that know better than me.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Is your current gig also with a government? Will they transfer your pension? Is that a thing?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

Is your current gig also with a government? Will they transfer your pension? Is that a thing?

Depends on the state. If they are using separate county pension systems he'd probably need to ask if there's some kind of transfer program they've setup between the two.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Salesforce is its own thing, so if you're going to spend time specializing in it you're making a bet career-wise that it's still relevant in the future. I've worked with and been around enough companies who use it to know most Salesforce implementations are janked-together trash that are trying to extend the usefulness of a sorta limited platform. I wouldn't bother personally, but there are probably people in this thread that know better than me.

At this point, not really focused on the career aspect, would rather get in and then once in, can move around a bit if the initial salary doesn't match expectations.

Still curious to hear any stories about how people have leaned on their previous, although not directly related experience to get a similar level job at another company.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Aug 1, 2017

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

H110Hawk posted:

Yes, no, and not here but in literally every other county it is for some reason.

Point is, am I broken for not wanting to waste my vacation days on interviewing for a job that I won't take or for going home and drinking a beer instead of relentlessly applying for new jobs I don't yet want?
I mean I get the idea of keeping your resume and skills up to date, but my coworker gives me the impression that I'm wasting my life for not interviewing for a new job at least once a month.
Is that typical? Do you all really do that poo poo?

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Aug 1, 2017

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Hadlock posted:

At this point, not really focused on the career aspect, would rather get in and then leverage ties to move to management or promotion elsewhere in the company. This just so happens to be a good way to transition in to the company where there's already strong ties with leadership in place that I don't have to build from scratch.

Still curious to hear any stories about how people have leaned on their previous, although not directly related experience to get a similar level job at another company.

I don't think Salesforce admin is going to give you any leverage. It's more likely to get you phased out when a VP decides to toss the whole system and go with something new. It's like learning to work on '79 Fords, and only '79 Fords.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Yes, no, and not here but in literally every other county it is for some reason.

Point is, am I broken for not wanting to waste my vacation days on interviewing for a job that I won't take or for going home and drinking a beer instead of relentlessly applying for new jobs I don't yet want?
I mean I get the idea of keeping your resume and skills up to date, but my coworker gives me the impression that I'm wasting my life for not interviewing for a new job at least once a month.

Yeah that sucks. I wouldn't interview if you aren't going to jump jobs. Keep that pension going.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

If you're happy where you are, the new position doesn't interest you and the pay is the same or less than what you make now, then take the vacation days and have a vacation. Come back in 18 months and see how you feel.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

If you're happy where you are, the new position doesn't interest you and the pay is the same or less than what you make now, then take the vacation days and have a vacation. Come back in 18 months and see how you feel.

An 18 month vacation sounds fantastic. :cool:

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010

All the ones I've ever seen ask ridiculously obscure questions that have no bearing on actual duties performed and are a lovely crutch for companies that suck at hiring

I thought maybe you just had a bad experience and were overblowing it a little, but I just finished the "Cisco Networking Fundamentals" one and jesus gently caress what did I just take? Why did I have to take this obscure rear end test when I already have a CCNA.

They also want me to take a Firewall one, and I'm not up to snuff on my firewall stuff. Here goes nothing!

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

siggy2021 posted:

I thought maybe you just had a bad experience and were overblowing it a little, but I just finished the "Cisco Networking Fundamentals" one and jesus gently caress what did I just take? Why did I have to take this obscure rear end test when I already have a CCNA.

They also want me to take a Firewall one, and I'm not up to snuff on my firewall stuff. Here goes nothing!

I'll straight up pass on an opening if they ask me to do one of these now. It tells me the people hiring have no clue what they're doing.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
I'm still going to give it a shot, the place seems cool and it can't be much worse than what I'm dealing with now. It's at least more money and will be a good experience/resume builder for a year or two.

That being said, the firewall one was nuts. I had a question about why you shouldn't do server backups on a raid5 external drive. I have no idea what in the hell that has to do with firewalls. The whole test was bonkers and at some point I just started mashing answers because I had no loving clue.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

You're not alone. I super enjoy my state job getting just above average salary for my title and massive benefits like a pension, time off accrued from on call and overtime so I never touch my sick/vacation which will allow me to retire early... I have a great boss though

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

alg posted:

You're not alone. I super enjoy my state job getting just above average salary for my title and massive benefits like a pension, time off accrued from on call and overtime so I never touch my sick/vacation which will allow me to retire early... I have a great boss though

I actually have to use vacation days or lose them soon. I've taken plenty of days off but its been a couple of sick days and comp time. My dad died in December and they're letting me use my bereavement leave whenever I need to go down and settle his estate! That's way better than my last job where I worked 80+ hour work weeks for almost 3 years, only took 3 vacation days in that time, and never saw one red cent of overtime/bonus.

I thought I was a walking IT success story right up until this afternoon, when my coworker made it sound like we were working in IT hell.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Maybe you should tell your co-worker to apply if he's so interested in it.

Speaking of, I have an interview today! Same job it seems, a bit further away, but more money and weekends off.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
My condolences Gnarly.

I never had any issue taking vacation days. I value time off, more than whatever money i get paid if i trade in my vacation days.

My friend works in helpdesk at our local government. He has no desire to work elsewhere. He has a good salary for his position. great benefits. low workload. I'd say you are not alone.
The one thing that is kinda worrying is that he lost the motivation he used to have when we graduated. Since he works with people who make much more than him, doing almost nothing. It has caused him to throw in the towel. I tried telling him, you don't want to do helpdesk forever. Here let me lend you my powershell book (month of lunches) It has helped me tremendously. It can help you move up in the government.

I think that that is the only that may be worrying by working in the government. Easy to lose motivation. But i don't think that that applies to you Gnarly

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Nothing like sending an email first thing in the morning to let The Business know that execution of a massive project, scheduled for tonight, needs to be cancelled, and that it's My Fault.

My fault in this case includes the servers that I operate not doing the thing they're built to do in any semblance of a reasonable amount of time. It's not like I missed tasks, these things simply don't know how to server quickly. If they would server better, we wouldn't have these issues.

Regardless, I expect to have roughly the same conversation 5 times with 5 executives today, hearing a lot of platitudes about how we "just need to make it work" and "need to plan better" even though both of those things are, I ask you to believe me if I have any rep here at all, simply not possible. Gonna be a hell of a day.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Don't hesitate to use large quantities of sugar, fat and caffeine to fortify yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I am counting down the hours until the interview on Monday and somehow this place is growing increasingly more insufferable by the minute.

Also, MC Fruit Stripe, godspeed. Better to pull the plug now than have the business brought to it's knees trying to push a project out the door too soon.