Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Demands a repost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkOsXNF_ZoM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Godholio posted:

Frankly this has been a big problem for the entire USAF/USN flying community for years. The problem is just further exacerbated with the new fighters.

So whats the problem here? The fighters are now "too gud" for your equipment and doctrine to provide a sufficient enough challenge?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Raenir Salazar posted:

So whats the problem here? The fighters are now "too gud" for your equipment and doctrine to provide a sufficient enough challenge?

no, it's that we can't effectively replicate the capabilities of the high end threats the gud fiters were designed to counter

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Why couldn't they have done this in 2010 when I was down there? drat.

Raenir Salazar posted:

The problem is that most of the hardware we train against was designed and/or built in the 1960s and 70s. It's a lot easier to buy/build an SA-2, 6, or 8 than it is to get a 10 or 20, which are the modern threats. We can replicate North Vietnam's defenses all day...so what? That's not what we're going to face in a near-peer conflict. Our tactics and doctrine are likely fine or really close to it...but being able to practice them realistically is pretty important. It's responsible for most of the difference between the US's 2:1 kill ratio at the beginning of the Korean War and the 10:1 kill ratio at the end.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jul 10, 2016

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Things I hate about that movie, everything except the Tomcats

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

B4Ctom1 posted:

Things I hate about that movie, everything except the Tomcats

Whatever flaws it has are forgiven by the awesome cinematography and flight footage. Checking it out in HD is well worth it.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

bewbies posted:

no, it's that we can't effectively replicate the capabilities of the high end threats the gud fiters were designed to counter

To add to this, it has been a problem for a long time. Hell, even though PESA Patriot radars aren't a great substitute for latest-gen AESA SAMs, for over a decade now Patriot has been in such high operational demand that Patriot forces have had to back out of or deny support to training exercises run by aviation forces across the military, because it's just not feasible to dedicate a battalion to playing OPFOR when that battalion is also taking over a global response force mission or about to deploy operationally or just got back from deployment and thus is going through reset and starting with brand new crews from scratch.

When we have live top-tier US air defense against live aircraft, you can learn more about how your system would perform in war in a 2 week exercise than you would in a couple years of training on simulators, but that poo poo costs a ton of money, requires incredibly careful scheduling, and often either falls through or you end up with one or the other side creating training restrictions that make it a bit unrealistic. In my experience, the Marines have been quickest to say "go hog wild" and let combatants do whatever the gently caress they want as far as system capabilities, but then Patriot forces get to feel smug that they shot down a fuckload of F-18C/Ds and legacy Growlers and Harriers, but the actual high end USAF threats they faced were not doing everything they could have to gently caress up the ground forces at all. It's not like a day 0 kick in the door scenario is to send Gen 4 fighters into the teeth of a decent SAM system. There have been a ton of exercises where US SAM operators and pilots alike were surprised as hell by each other and what they can/can't do, because blowing up patches of dirt with insurgents and defending the airbases from which we launch those planes blowing up patches of dirt on it has been the major priority for so long.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

That Works posted:

Whatever flaws it has are forgiven by the awesome cinematography and flight footage. Checking it out in HD is well worth it.

It's a pretty terrible movie, but the F-14/Zero fight sequence (despite its flaws,) is pretty much the best dogfight footage ever put on film.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Also I recall it has a cool dog.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

mlmp08 posted:

To add to this, it has been a problem for a long time. Hell, even though PESA Patriot radars aren't a great substitute for latest-gen AESA SAMs, for over a decade now Patriot has been in such high operational demand that Patriot forces have had to back out of or deny support to training exercises run by aviation forces across the military, because it's just not feasible to dedicate a battalion to playing OPFOR when that battalion is also taking over a global response force mission or about to deploy operationally or just got back from deployment and thus is going through reset and starting with brand new crews from scratch.

When we have live top-tier US air defense against live aircraft, you can learn more about how your system would perform in war in a 2 week exercise than you would in a couple years of training on simulators, but that poo poo costs a ton of money, requires incredibly careful scheduling, and often either falls through or you end up with one or the other side creating training restrictions that make it a bit unrealistic. In my experience, the Marines have been quickest to say "go hog wild" and let combatants do whatever the gently caress they want as far as system capabilities, but then Patriot forces get to feel smug that they shot down a fuckload of F-18C/Ds and legacy Growlers and Harriers, but the actual high end USAF threats they faced were not doing everything they could have to gently caress up the ground forces at all. It's not like a day 0 kick in the door scenario is to send Gen 4 fighters into the teeth of a decent SAM system. There have been a ton of exercises where US SAM operators and pilots alike were surprised as hell by each other and what they can/can't do, because blowing up patches of dirt with insurgents and defending the airbases from which we launch those planes blowing up patches of dirt on it has been the major priority for so long.

I feel like I've had the two most frustrating jobs in the military between being in C2 and now organizing LFE events. There's SO MUCH we could do if we just diverted the funding for flat screen tvs and lovely network software into buying other stuff.

Steeltalon
Feb 14, 2012

Perps were uncooperative.

Sperglord posted:

That looks photoshopped...

Correct.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Ladies and gentlemen, the replacement for the A-10. :downsgun:

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

LBR the only thing the a-10 does better is pulverize dirt patches that sometimes have people on them. As long as the people don't have post-1970 anti air. And you can station them close enough.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Godholio posted:

Ladies and gentlemen, the replacement for the A-10. :downsgun:

If an A-10 is flying around without rapidly becoming a smoking crater in the ground then it's permissive enough for an F35 to fly around with its underwing stores

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Cloning tool bullshit. :(

I have been had..

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

kill me now posted:

If an A-10 is flying around without rapidly becoming a smoking crater in the ground then it's permissive enough for an F35 to fly around with its underwing stores

For x fraction of loiter time.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

This is so confusing :psyduck:

Why is a British paper (I'm assuming it's one of those "nest of vipers living in bilious garbage" sort of papers) getting all starry eyed about the deployment of a Russian carrier?

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

That Works posted:

For x fraction of loiter time.

Underwing stores includes external tanks

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Nebakenezzer posted:

Why is a British paper (I'm assuming it's one of those "nest of vipers living in bilious garbage" sort of papers) getting all starry eyed about the deployment of a Russian carrier?

The Russian ship is on a mission to kill Muslims. What other reason could the tabloid possibly need to be a fan?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daily_Star_(British_newspaper)#Resignation_by_Richard_Peppiatt

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

kill me now posted:

Which basically undercuts the entire reason for the F-35B's existence and 75% of the program cost overruns.

Gail Wynand posted:

Underwing stores includes external tanks

Same for the A-10, at a fraction of the cost/hour.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

People seem to forget Taiwan in all these F-35B conversations. In my opinion that's the really legit use case. Though should there just have been a separate VTOL fighter program? Absolutely.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
What use case is that, and why is it relevant given that we're never going to sell F35s to Taiwan?

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Godholio posted:

Which basically undercuts the entire reason for the F-35B's existence and 75% of the program cost overruns.

Yeah, but this isn't 1958 and the Navy/Air force/Marine's don't field a dozen different types of specialized Fighters/strike aircraft. There was virtually no chance of the USMC giving up their proclaimed need to operate STOVL fighters off LHA's and no chance of it being a stand alone platform.

Its not the worst thing in the world to have a jet that can survive in a modern iads environment early in the conflict (which the AV-8B and A-10 aren't doing) while also being able to be configured as a bomb truck when the airspace is permissive.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

kill me now posted:

Yeah, but this isn't 1958 and the Navy/Air force/Marine's don't field a dozen different types of specialized Fighters/strike aircraft. There was virtually no chance of the USMC giving up their proclaimed need to operate STOVL fighters off LHA's and no chance of it being a stand alone platform.

Its not the worst thing in the world to have a jet that can survive in a modern iads environment early in the conflict (which the AV-8B and A-10 aren't doing) while also being able to be configured as a bomb truck when the airspace is permissive.

Sure but it's better to have 2 separate airframes that each do their respective jobs better than a single one.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

That Works posted:

Sure but it's better to have 2 separate airframes that each do their respective jobs better than a single one.

And that was never ever going to happen

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

hypnophant posted:

What use case is that, and why is it relevant given that we're never going to sell F35s to Taiwan?
Because China can take out every runway in Taiwan on day 1 of a hypothetical invasion. So there's a real role for VTOL aircraft to play in that conflict.

Even if we don't sell F35s to Taiwan (realchat we will someday) we are still bound to defend them..

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
Cool video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQf4m6rew7c

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

If you have enough money you can do the same thing. It's like 20k Euros or something insane like that, but I'm sure it's worth it.

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

Godholio posted:

It's responsible for most of the difference between the US's 2:1 kill ratio at the beginning of the Korean War and the 10:1 kill ratio at the end.

I thought it was a bit more complex than that, things like the k/d ratio being very near to 1:1 vs the original Soviet pilots who by and large had flown in ww2 but were pulled from the flight lines before long, and the bulk of the later flying being done by relatively poorly trained north Korean pilots.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Gail Wynand posted:

Because China can take out every runway in Taiwan on day 1 of a hypothetical invasion. So there's a real role for VTOL aircraft to play in that conflict.

Even if we don't sell F35s to Taiwan (realchat we will someday) we are still bound to defend them..

The problem with the F-35B is that it can't take off from roads since it'll melt the asphalt. So ironically using its STOVL capabilities reduces the number of places it can take off and land from.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

The problem with the F-35B is that it can't take off from roads since it'll melt the asphalt. So ironically using its STOVL capabilities reduces the number of places it can take off and land from.

That doesn't really prevent it from taking off, it just fucks up the road. The problem is that it would also ruin the standard flight deck surfaces over time, which aren't as easy to fix as "pave over with new asphalt" or "leave a hosed up road behind".

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ok so the lead plane takes off. What about his wingman? His second element? The next strike package?

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Isn't the F-35B only VTOL capable if it doesn't carry a combat load?

Cabbage Disrespect
Apr 24, 2009

ROBUST COMBAT
Leonard Riflepiss
Soiled Meat

hobbesmaster posted:

It'll melt the asphalt, but saying that using its STOVL capabilities reduces the number of places it can take off and land from is sorta misleading given that the point of it is to give the Marines something to masturba-- uh, to let you perform short takeoffs if conventional ones aren't possible. An F-35B can take off from anywhere an F-35A can conventionally, and the short takeoffs let it fly from a few extra places, too.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

Probably not gonna have to worry about as many landings as takeoffs.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Gail Wynand posted:

The problem with that reasoning is that it assumes that China will bother to destroy runways instead of destroying, you know, the actual aircraft while they're sitting in their hangars. It's actually a lot easier to destroy a hangar than it is to make a runway really unusable.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

Cat Mattress posted:

The problem with that reasoning is that it assumes that China will bother to destroy runways instead of destroying, you know, the actual aircraft while they're sitting in their hangars. It's actually a lot easier to destroy a hangar than it is to make a runway really unusable.

The trick is waiting until all the planes are elephant walking down a taxiway and then having your giant unmanned quadcopter pop up a mile away to blast everything on the tarmac before your special operators speed away on crotch rockets.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Nebakenezzer posted:

Significant parts of the European nationalist muslim-hating alt-right receives rather enthusiastic Russian support (and sometimes funding).

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jul 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Back Hack posted:

Isn't the F-35B only VTOL capable if it doesn't carry a combat load?

Probably. It's designed to be STOVL, so taking off with a full load still requires a short roll (like off the end of an amphib).