Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Oh my god, what a freaking cutie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Aww @ Ama. :3:

When Pesto wants scritches he goes up to his reflection and makes his cheeks go fluffy and presses them up against the mirror. It's kind of sad, really. He's getting sort of closer with me. He'd still rather be doing his own thing but I taught him "kiss kiss" (he kisses my nose when I say that).

I've been picking him wild grass seed heads to much on every day in addition to his normal fare. I'm just going to assume that wild grasses are a healthier alternative to farm grown crops just because millet and such is grown with human consumption in mind and has been bred to reflect that (increased grain size with a greater ratio of starch to other nutrient content, whereas the wild grasses in varying stages of ripeness would provide a greater range of nutritional content.

here's a useful site quote about grasses. mainly, most are not poisonous but you have to be selective where you get them

quote:

There is no need to be afraid of poisoning your pet birds with native grasses because most species are edible. So if the grasses are not chemically treated, you can offer them to your birds each day. Please never pick native grasses near main roads, railways or agricultural areas because the grasses may contain pesticides and other dangerous chemicals! In this sub-category of Birds Online you can find descriptions and photos of edible grass species. There are more information on other species to come in the future.

Nice German Site about Birbs

You still want to give the birb enriched food so it doesnt lack things like calcium or other things. That can lead to being eggbound or not being able to produce enough energy if it can't get enough vitamen d or something.

Budgies naturally foraging is great. We used to have outing cages for ours that were smaller but the bottom could be entirely be removed so they could dive into the grass of our backyard and go to town.

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Aug 12, 2019

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Oh my god, what a freaking cutie.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Serra is struggling with her first big girl molt, and keeps squaking out in pain while grooming certain places.

This means she gets toweled and showered every day. Once the water hits her, she is thrilled.

But this inevitably also means I’ll spend about ten minutes chasing her around with a towel case. All while she Cockatiel runs from room to room, hissing, with her wings in the, “Come At me, Bro!” Outstretched pose.

:derptiel:

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
Budgies are so adorable... I sort of wish we had room for them in our house to be able to have some. ATM tho, we are cramped with 4 cats, 2 conures, and 2 people....so yeah, we will need to wait till we move eventually.

I just love hearing the little burbles and noises they make.... it makes me so happy to hear them doing budgie things :)

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Even with only one budgie, my house is full of burbles, tootles and CHEECHEECHEECHEECHEECHEEXGH!!!

I'm so excited, in two weeks he's going to have a friend! Although I think I mentioned it before, my mom wants to come down and go budgie shopping and I only get to see her like, twice a year.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Even with only one budgie, my house is full of burbles, tootles and CHEECHEECHEECHEECHEECHEEXGH!!!

I'm so excited, in two weeks he's going to have a friend! Although I think I mentioned it before, my mom wants to come down and go budgie shopping and I only get to see her like, twice a year.

thats so sweet :) Can't wait to see pics of the new baby!!

I figure ONE DAY (maybe but I can hope/wish/pray) that I will be able to have a potato-tiel and a couple of budgies to add to our flock one day. Till then, I will just live thru you guys!!

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Always remember to hold your feather pinky out.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I'm having a bad day.

But there's something so earnest and good about a cockatiel who is immediately with me and singing as hard as he possibly can until I stop crying. Because that's how you fix sadness.

Sera is a good boy.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

That is the sweetest thing ever. Awwwww Sera.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Cockatiels have THE BEST personality. My cockatiels have got me through some dark times.

Hope you're feeling a little better. What a good birb.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

RoboRodent posted:

I'm having a bad day.

But there's something so earnest and good about a cockatiel who is immediately with me and singing as hard as he possibly can until I stop crying. Because that's how you fix sadness.

Sera is a good boy.

what a good bird :)

See, birds are the best ever!! BTW, hope you are doing ok... I'm sending you virtual hugs as well, Robo. Hope things look up soon!

My two conures are so good to me when I am upset. They KNOW I am sad...and they may not understand why, but they do their best to try to make me feel better with kisses and lots of "its ok" 's. Trev picked that up now, so I get head rubs against my cheek and "Sweet birdie it's ok ok ok ok kiss kiss birdie birdie its ok" lol Cricket just snuggles up next to me and kisses me and whispers "I love you" and "Don't worry it's ok!"

Its really amazing what amazing little creatures our birds are... we are truly blessed to have them in our lives.

Disco Salmon fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Aug 14, 2019

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

I present to you a handful of ridiculousness:

And a love story:

Except she's 3 months old

And he's a 15 year old creeper

When separated, they just stare at each other, while sitting on the side of their stands nearest each other. It's kind of sweet, and will be hilarious when she gets to full size.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Suntan Boy posted:

oh, my god

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
why can't I have that many conures?

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Suntan Boy posted:

LAB forget whatever I said to you in PM I have all of these handsome bois on mail order overnight

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

:bisonyes:

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

find someone who looks at you the same way terra looks at a dorito

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

RoboRodent posted:

how you fix sadness.

This is adorable

I'm in love. Look at all those lil goobers.

Faerie Fortune posted:

find someone who looks at you the same way terra looks at a dorito

I present, Peanut trying to get a cracker
https://twitter.com/niceoneWern/status/1159222851863547908

Also, Peanut trying some way-hotter-than-expected pepper from the garden, and Pinto having none of it.
https://twitter.com/niceoneWern/status/1158866612847599617

Peanut was on a wack seed and pellet when we got him, and a big step recently is that he started eating fresh fruit and veg. He's definitely a tryer, which is a big ol' plus. Still has a taste for all the junk food. It's a struggle to get Pinto to try new foods. Both both these fuckin' birds were going hog wild trying to get to my taco bell.

Know what's weird? Neither of my green bois like millet. Won't even look at it.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Suntan Boy posted:

!!!!!

LOOK AT THEM!!! Sitting so nicely planning imminent destruction of local nearby properties :) I want them ALL! (my husband and Cricket would kill me please don't let me do this)

Rotten Cookies posted:

Peanut was on a wack seed and pellet when we got him, and a big step recently is that he started eating fresh fruit and veg. He's definitely a tryer, which is a big ol' plus. Still has a taste for all the junk food. It's a struggle to get Pinto to try new foods. Both both these fuckin' birds were going hog wild trying to get to my taco bell.

Know what's weird? Neither of my green bois like millet. Won't even look at it.

Yeah, Cricket is cautious, but if it's ON my plate she is much more willing to try it. Trevor eats anything remotely looking like food, and if it is? Its a plus lol We call him our little garbage disposal...he turns NOTHING down.

Except for millet. Neither of our two will eat it, go near it, whatever. Just ignore it :(

Disco Salmon fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Aug 14, 2019

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I buy so much millet. Millet everywhere. They can't get enough. Sera wants to eat anything I'm eating, especially if it looks carb-heavy. Noodles, bread, potatoes, chips. He's not allowed potato chips though, even if he really really wants them. He always gorges, regurgitates, and then goes back for more. Might be too rich for him. Ozzy will get interested if Sera is, but he's too shy to take things from my hand very often (he... isn't really hand tame, but it's fine, because we operate mostly by me asking him to go a place and then he does). Neither is particularly interested in leafy greens or veggies or fruits, despite my best efforts. When I make kimchi, Sera has a tantrum about not being able to eat the salted cabbage, but if I give him a leaf of cabbage, he won't touch it. Potted plants, though, are fair game.

If I make popcorn, the two of them sit and watch the microwave eagerly.

Mostly they eat pellets. :shrug:

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
I hear you there...

My two share practically everything with me. But, I don't worry too much cos they tend to shred most of everything they eat, so I honestly don't think much goes in their beakhole as it is. For instance, if they grab a piece of my low carb tortilla, I would say probably 4/5ths of it is torn up and thrown on the floor. We usually have sprouted bread when we do get it, so I don't feel bad if they grab some of that. They never eat it tho, not really...just tear it up with a few bites here and there.

Now if it is a high ticket item, they are VERY careful about not dropping any. My husband spoils them by giving them 1 strand of pepper jack cheese when he makes himself a quesadilla. Cricket's is gone in less than 5 seconds, and tbh I don't think she even tastes it. She sucks it in like a strand of spaghetti and pins her eyes in happiness/excitement. Trevor tho, same size piece and he takes a good 20-30 seconds as he savors every bit, mumbling "Yummy its good!" every couple bites. Same goes for the once in a while treats of a french fry etc

Both will try anything to get food I am eating, and most of the time I share, unless its something just not bird-safe, like an onion based curry, etc. God forbid I eat an apple where they can see it.. that is high treason apparently for not sharing, even tho they have apple in their forage bowl. As for popcorn... Trevor prefers to tear it up more than eat it. He might have a few bites but its mostly a toy to him. Cricket will sit there and eat her way to the bottom of the bowl if I let her. Greens are eaten by Trevor without issue, Cricket will eat them if I am eating them, or if they are in a sandwich, or on my plate. She eats them fine in her mash/chop tho, so...shes just weird I think. I have made juiced fruit/veggies all mixed with shredded coconut and shredded veggies into little popsicles for them and they seem to LOVE them in the heat we have had.

Overall tho, they both are pretty good eaters. I hide a lot of stuff cos Cricket is so silly about eating things, but she will eat it if it is in birdie bread, or in her mash/chop. Trevor would eat a brick if he thought it had butter on it. He's not picky at all lol I'd say the biggest treat they get are a few nutriberries a day, tbh. They may get to pick at my pizza that I make every other week, but it's homemade anyway, and I know what's in it (just a yogurt/flour crust), with a light sauce and whatever the toppings are. Recently Trev wants to eat all the pineapple off my pizza... Cricket goes for the meats and cheese mostly. She only gets like a bite or two of that tho.... ham and cheese probably isn't the best for her.

In the end tho, I dont worry too much about the food they eat, since it is mostly healthy foods...fruits/veg/pellets and so on. The people food they get is relatively little.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

https://i.imgur.com/TXzyIYU.mp4
Holy poo poo sound!

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Pebble is a good cockatoo

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

GoldStandardConure posted:

Pebble is a good cockatoo

yeah, she's been thru so much...poor thing. I'm so glad to see that she is with someone who truly loves her and will take care of her :)I watch her videos and she is such a character.... love her and Max so much!

The truly sad thing about that video is that not only is that actually the totally tiny, unsuitable cage she had been kept in for a good while, but can you imagine the home life she must have been exposed to in order to pick up that language and body motions? I'm so glad that he did that in front of her to SHOW her that it was NEVER going to be used again. I really think she understood the symbolism and meaning behind it.

Disco Salmon fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Aug 15, 2019

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I should have gotten Kate to film me screaming and beating apart Nemo's old cage with a splitting maul. I hated that loving cage.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
Switchblade Switcharoo

Disco Salmon posted:

yeah, she's been thru so much...poor thing. I'm so glad to see that she is with someone who truly loves her and will take care of her :)I watch her videos and she is such a character.... love her and Max so much!

The truly sad thing about that video is that not only is that actually the totally tiny, unsuitable cage she had been kept in for a good while, but can you imagine the home life she must have been exposed to in order to pick up that language and body motions? I'm so glad that he did that in front of her to SHOW her that it was NEVER going to be used again. I really think she understood the symbolism and meaning behind it.

I am really surprised Pebble didn't pluck itself to death. Cockatoos do self mutilation for far, far less but that plumage is so super fluff!

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

EVIL Gibson posted:

I am really surprised Pebble didn't pluck itself to death. Cockatoos do self mutilation for far, far less but that plumage is so super fluff!

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/pebble-parrot-cursing-1.3466461

This talks a little bit about her past...but Kelly is a good guy :) He accepts her for who she is, and that helps a lot!

And actually reading further articles, it seems that wasn't HER cage but a similar one that he got to show people the dangers of round cages for the birds in that video.

Disco Salmon fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Aug 15, 2019

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

It's someone's fourth hatchday!

Can't believe this feathery dingus has been with me nearly 3 years (he was at the store for almost a year since he was a bitey little poo poo that not many people were taking the time to know). I was smitten. I love he. Here's to many more.

Bonus: the day we met, yesterday three years ago.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

subpar anachronism posted:

Can't believe this feathery dingus has been with me nearly 3 years (he was at the store for almost a year since he was a bitey little poo poo that not many people were taking the time to know). I was smitten. I love he. Here's to many more.

Happy Hatchday!!!!

Such a handsome lad... Hope you have a lovely day of messy food and fun destruction!! And kisses of course :)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

subpar anachronism posted:

I love Mochi :kimchi:

And Disco that is a cute graphic lmao. The tally marks :3:

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I love Mochi :kimchi:

And Disco that is a cute graphic lmao. The tally marks :3:

I loved it...it was sent to me by a friend. I saw it and had to make it mine :P It's probably stolen from somewhere but, its mine now :)

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

*chomp*

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Wanna meet that hatchling. :derptiel:

In other news, I ordered a three dollar harness and tether for Serra from Amazon.

I'm sure it will be a lesson in how to get properly bit, for the first time, by your parrot.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

The avians are upset with me because I won't let them hang out on top of Ama's cage together. Yes gentlemen I know you both think it's a swell idea now, but what happens if in the future someone wants to sit on someone else's cage top, and the second someone decides that he does not currently want the first someone on his cage top? One of those someones loses an eye, that's what. No bueno.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

The avians are upset with me because I won't let them hang out on top of Ama's cage together. Yes gentlemen I know you both think it's a swell idea now, but what happens if in the future someone wants to sit on someone else's cage top, and the second someone decides that he does not currently want the first someone on his cage top? One of those someones loses an eye, that's what. No bueno.

You need to put them in little birdie sized sumo suits. Let them take out their aggression by bouncing around while being unable to harm each other.

Also, it would be adorable.

Like this, but parrots -

:derptiel:

Captain Log fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Aug 17, 2019

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
you would probably need to safety cork their beaks too, just in case

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

GoldStandardConure posted:

you would probably need to safety cork their beaks too, just in case

lol tiny little pool noodles on their beaks rofl

edit: my husband saw me writing this and starting calling them nerf beaks lol

Disco Salmon fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Aug 17, 2019

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Like those dumb gel nail caps for cats :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

Disco Salmon posted:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/pebble-parrot-cursing-1.3466461

This talks a little bit about her past...but Kelly is a good guy :) He accepts her for who she is, and that helps a lot!

And actually reading further articles, it seems that wasn't HER cage but a similar one that he got to show people the dangers of round cages for the birds in that video.

I am not talking about the dude in no way because he is awesome. I am actually offended a bit you would think that.

No, I am talking about the previous shithole owner who kept that bird in such a small cage. Ive seen really happy birds that have no feathers at all that got over the emotional trauma of their previous home but their feather producing ability has been wrecked for life because they kept on plucking.