Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
How is Pate's for PVE? I'm running a Heide spear on my current DEX guy, and have been holding off on upgrading all the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I've been running around with the Staff of Wisdom in my left hand and the Espada Ropera in the right. I like the staff in the left hand, but the Espada has left me wanting more. What weapon do you think would complement the staff well when wielded primarily 1h? I'm open to respeccing to meet weapon requirements as needed, to an extent. I'm thinking something a bit bigger and heftier would be good that can punish enemies/players that close the gap on my spells.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

The Wonder Weapon posted:

I've been running around with the Staff of Wisdom in my left hand and the Espada Ropera in the right. I like the staff in the left hand, but the Espada has left me wanting more. What weapon do you think would complement the staff well when wielded primarily 1h? I'm open to respeccing to meet weapon requirements as needed, to an extent. I'm thinking something a bit bigger and heftier would be good that can punish enemies/players that close the gap on my spells.

If you don't mind looking like a weeaboo, you can get an Uchigatana. Fairly fast, wide arc in one hand, godlike tracking, huge counter damage basically ensure that your opponent can't try to overwhelm you since you will almost certainly win if you start trading attacks close range. If you put a buff on it, the counter damage goes nuts. Low stat requirements too, and it's not a weapon that relies on scaling either.

edit: i'm talking in terms of Pvp of course

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

sector_corrector posted:

How is Pate's for PVE? I'm running a Heide spear on my current DEX guy, and have been holding off on upgrading all the way.

Pate's Spear is really good for poking regular enemies. I used it to farm the Mad Warrior and he didn't even know what to do. I used a bigger weapon for bosses, pricking them with the spear drags the fights too much I found.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Longsword or Mace will be more than enough for the entire game.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Is there a correct and incorrect choice between the two greatbows?

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

MooCowlian posted:

Is there a correct and incorrect choice between the two greatbows?

Alonne Greatbow has a bigger Dex bent (though is still basically a Quality weapon) and fires faster and uses less stamina in exchange for having less damage.
Dragonslayer Greatbow is unambiguously a Str weapon and is slower and uses more stamina, but does more damage.

Their requirements and weight and whatnot are different too, Dragonslayer requires less Dex and is much heavier. It's a build question first and then if you want to fire more or do more with one shot.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Bigass Moth posted:

Longsword or Mace will be more than enough for the entire game.

Yeah but neither look cool at all

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Alonne Greatbow has a bigger Dex bent (though is still basically a Quality weapon) and fires faster and uses less stamina in exchange for having less damage.
Dragonslayer Greatbow is unambiguously a Str weapon and is slower and uses more stamina, but does more damage.

Their requirements and weight and whatnot are different too, Dragonslayer requires less Dex and is much heavier. It's a build question first and then if you want to fire more or do more with one shot.

Don't you have to plant the Dragonslayer bow before you can fire it? I've always been under the impression that the Alonne Great Bow is better because of that alone. It's what I've been using on my current STR build at least.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Equip two maces, take off your shirt, power stance them, and then see if you can still say that with a straight face.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

I have literally every RPG in the world to wield completely over-the-top weapons, it's kind of refreshing to take down all the horrors the world throws at you with just a basic blade.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

THE loving MOON posted:

Don't you have to plant the Dragonslayer bow before you can fire it? I've always been under the impression that the Alonne Great Bow is better because of that alone. It's what I've been using on my current STR build at least.

All that means is that it's slow to fire, basically. It's like a quarter-second difference, and the difference in damage between the two is pretty intense - it's around 100 points or so.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Mighty Dicktron posted:

All that means is that it's slow to fire, basically. It's like a quarter-second difference, and the difference in damage between the two is pretty intense - it's around 100 points or so.

drat. Might be time to farm some more dragon bones. :v:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
All your stats at 20 is still the hardcap for Mundane Scaling, right? Or was it 30? I don't know if the Mundane guide on Reddit is still accurate after the last couple patches.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots

Genocyber posted:

Nope. ~60 less damage at 40/40, but 150 Counter bonus compared to 120 (or less for other greatswords). Especially deadly when combined with the Old Leo Ring and its 1handed r2 (which is a thrust). Plus it's really light, being only 4 units heavy. It's a shame it's not available earlier in the game, would make a fantastic PVE weapon too.

Woah okay, it's been buffed for realsies then

By the way, I just realized one thing. If Champion's Covenant didn't disable using the soapstones, it would be perfect. But it does so it isn't.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
That would ruin the purpose of a Champions run if you had assistant in killing a boss or an area. Basically everyone would be able to cheese it.

I mean ok, you can cheese it in a certain way. :v:

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Shindragon posted:

That would ruin the purpose of a Champions run if you had assistant in killing a boss or an area. Basically everyone would be able to cheese it.

I mean ok, you can cheese it in a certain way. :v:

He means you, a member, putting down a sign so you can help others

Still op because you can go human w.o an effigy if you've died too much

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

I meant that you should be able to get summoned yourself.*

(and also be able to summon NPCs so you can finish their storylines!)

* but that would actually be bad because what I like about the covenant is that adds importance to certain game mechanics & exploring, and small soap stone for example just gives you a ton of free upgrade materials and completely trivializes the humanity mechanic so eh

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I've fought a ton of Havelmonster mon scim affinity guys today, talk about pro tactics.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Is this accurate? http://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls2/comments/20onxa/psa_the_mundane_infusion/ Mundane counts ALL your stats? Beyond Str/Dex, your vitality and attunement effect mundane?

e: according to that chart the Black Dragon Sword is pretty good and also cool looking so maybe I'll try that

The Wonder Weapon fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Aug 11, 2014

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
Yes

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Pretty much. Hence my mudane stats character tend to be 30 all spread out. It's a nice balance of having everything.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Played some DS1 today, and people are still dickwraithing in that game :psypop:
I was invaded in the parish (surprise!) by a ninja-rolling crazy backstabbing invader almost immediately.

While PvP is not my thing, it's way more fun in this game.

Speaking of backstabs..

Pictured: a much more difficult game than DS2, promise.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

verybad posted:

I meant that you should be able to get summoned yourself.*

(and also be able to summon NPCs so you can finish their storylines!)

* but that would actually be bad because what I like about the covenant is that adds importance to certain game mechanics & exploring, and small soap stone for example just gives you a ton of free upgrade materials and completely trivializes the humanity mechanic so eh

The humanity mechanic is already trivialized by the protection rings. Even w/o them the game throws enough Effigies at you that you shouldn't run out if you're careful (i.e. use Ring of Binding for the first five or so deaths before using an effigy).

I'd like that change; the only reason I don't do CoC at all is because I do like doing co-op occasionally.

Is this accurate? http://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls2/comments/20onxa/psa_the_mundane_infusion/ Mundane counts ALL your stats? Beyond Str/Dex, your vitality and attunement effect mundane?

Yup. Pretty much the only reason to go Mundane currently (if you're not high enough level to have 50 as your lowest stat) is to make use out of the broken weapons. And even that isn't so hot since Mundane builds can't take advantage of Flynn's Ring.

quote:

e: according to that chart the Black Dragon Sword is pretty good and also cool looking so maybe I'll try that

It is very good; only requires 20 str and 16 dex (or somewhere around that) but at +5 Raw has 345 damage, only a bit less than the Sun Sword or Drakekeeper's Sword at 40/40 str/dex.

Your Computer posted:

Played some DS1 today, and people are still dickwraithing in that game :psypop:
I was invaded in the parish (surprise!) by a ninja-rolling crazy backstabbing invader almost immediately.

While PvP is not my thing, it's way more fun in this game.

Speaking of backstabs..

Pictured: a much more difficult game than DS2, promise.

I've been playing Dks on and off recently. Been quite fun; I'm really bad at it since it's been quite a bit since I've played (and my Dks2 muscle memory keeps loving me up) so it's actually challenging. Haven't been invaded yet tho, despite being human pretty much all of the time. :(

And yeah, it's hilarious how gross backstabs are in comparison.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Key to the Embedded is a fun weapon.

If only because for some reason people keep adding me to ask what it is. It's a giant key, what other weapon could I be using?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

They probably just assume it's a normal key when they get it from the Demon of Song and don't look that hard at their inventory.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

You know, I didn't think of that.

It's really silly they don't let you upgrade it. It's statted out as a +10 weapon.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
Well you don't keep it between playthrus so. I mean.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Genocyber posted:

I've been playing Dks on and off recently. Been quite fun; I'm really bad at it since it's been quite a bit since I've played (and my Dks2 muscle memory keeps loving me up) so it's actually challenging. Haven't been invaded yet tho, despite being human pretty much all of the time. :(

And yeah, it's hilarious how gross backstabs are in comparison.

The most challenging thing for me so far has been the rolling, and I think it's actually the only thing that has killed me so far (invaders aside) :negative:
I've died several times both by rolling off ledges (holy poo poo the fast roll shoots you SO FAR), and rolling straight into enemy attacks. After completely murdering the first gargoyle without problem, I managed to roll straight into the mouth of the remaining gargoyle as it was spewing fire (trying to roll sideways, obviously). The aiming of the dodge is way different.

After getting good at parrying and backstabs in DS2, it feels laughably easy in DS1 though (to the point of trivializing much of the game).
I still can't walk in a straight line though, what with the lack of the "deadzone" that snaps your walking in place from DS2. My character looks drunk off her rear end :shepface:

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Tallgeese posted:

You know, I didn't think of that.

It's really silly they don't let you upgrade it. It's statted out as a +10 weapon.

Invade people doing Kingdom Heart's fashion souls :japan:

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

xNarUtoRKOrton420x posted:

Invade people doing Kingdom Heart's fashion souls :japan:

The Judgment Set sans helmet would work well.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Tallgeese posted:

The Judgment Set sans helmet would work well.

Llewelyn armor and DkS bandit pants should do a credible Terra impression.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Let's not turn fashion souls into anime souls. This game is already dark and depressing enough as it is

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

It's basically impossible not to be at least a little anime unless you go bald, because those hairstyles are absurd.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Let's not turn fashion souls into anime souls. This game is already dark and depressing enough as it is
You're already playing off-brand Berserk with JoJo's references. The anime is coming from inside the building.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Paracelsus posted:

You're already playing off-brand Berserk with JoJo's references. The anime is coming from inside the building.

To be fair, at least the Souls series seem to be gradually getting less anime. Demon's Souls was way more anime than DS/DS2 :v:

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

It's basically impossible not to be at least a little anime unless you go bald, because those hairstyles are absurd.

I don't know, I managed to pull a pretty convincing old murderhobo with the raggedy long hair and the stubble beard.

verybad fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Aug 11, 2014

Gregen
Jun 12, 2010
I've been playing this game and reading this thread, I've come to the conclusion I'm awful at this game. I'm part of the crowd that groans with every invasion and plays DS2 like a coop dungeon delving RPG, throwing down my soapstone at every opportunity helping random people out. Is there a newbie guide for pvping, so maybe I can stand chance against a random invader? Despite being inept, I finished the game, and here is my Fashion Souls entry.

e: Bad at typing and/or proofreading.

Gregen fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Aug 11, 2014

ParTwo
Mar 5, 2013

I'm making it rain-Bo!

So, I'm getting this error after an attempt to co-op with a friend for LGK which resulting in me suddenly crashing and getting a Runtime Error. At the time, my soapstone was down and I was fiddling with my inventory at the bonfire. I'm really scared to load any of my characters now due to not wanting to lose any of my DLC stuff, so I'd like to know if I have anything to worry about in regards to losing some of my stuff because the game can't remember I have the DLC or something. (I DID have Steam validate my files, but it didn't seem to fix anything. Quitting the game also ends in a Runtime Error.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

flarp22 posted:

So, I'm getting this error after an attempt to co-op with a friend for LGK which resulting in me suddenly crashing and getting a Runtime Error. At the time, my soapstone was down and I was fiddling with my inventory at the bonfire. I'm really scared to load any of my characters now due to not wanting to lose any of my DLC stuff, so I'd like to know if I have anything to worry about in regards to losing some of my stuff because the game can't remember I have the DLC or something. (I DID have Steam validate my files, but it didn't seem to fix anything. Quitting the game also ends in a Runtime Error.)

I had this error once before, when I wasn't connected to the Steam service. I loaded the save, and I was just missing the preorder swords/shields and such. Once I regained connection and reloaded the game, everything was back to normal.

I don't recall any runtime errors though.