Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Yeah Dead By Daylight would be gone by now if they hadn't adjusted it so you can play with your friends. I just want them to go all in and give you rewards for doing custom matches for people who want to play with their friend as killer too. As it stands now custom matches can be fun but ultimately pointless if you're trying to progress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I'm playing through RE4 Remaster now and boy this is excellent. It's the first of the remake/remasters I've played, since it's the one I played through the most when I was younger. I'm really pretty impressed at how well it captures the feel and spirit of the original game while being different and fresh enough to not feel like just a flat-out retread. Admittedly I probably haven't played RE4 since the Wii was still current, but it's a lot of fun hitting points in the story where I think "I know something bad is going to happen here but I can't remember what" and getting at least a little surprised.

And it's tense! I'm comically bad at survival horror games but I remember kind of steamrolling RE4 on replays, even just the second time I played through it. Here I feel like I'm always on the edge of running out of ammo, and I've had to get good with the knife and crossbow to stay on top of things.

I'm pretty sure I'm about to start the section with the loving regenerating enemies which always freaked me out when I was younger, I'm simultaneously excited and dreading it.

Not sure if I need to spoil that but I figured this might be someone's first time playing through RE4 and that's a moment I wouldn't want to give away...

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

The gameplay feels so good in that, it's the best iteration of the remakes in how it handles mobility and the gunplay/melee combination.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I still overall prefer RE2 remake, the story/puzzles/action is the right mix for me, RE4 is a little too actiony for my tastes.

Still put 160 hours into it

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

MockingQuantum posted:

I'm playing through RE4 Remaster now and boy this is excellent. It's the first of the remake/remasters I've played, since it's the one I played through the most when I was younger. I'm really pretty impressed at how well it captures the feel and spirit of the original game while being different and fresh enough to not feel like just a flat-out retread. Admittedly I probably haven't played RE4 since the Wii was still current, but it's a lot of fun hitting points in the story where I think "I know something bad is going to happen here but I can't remember what" and getting at least a little surprised.

And it's tense! I'm comically bad at survival horror games but I remember kind of steamrolling RE4 on replays, even just the second time I played through it. Here I feel like I'm always on the edge of running out of ammo, and I've had to get good with the knife and crossbow to stay on top of things.

I'm pretty sure I'm about to start the section with the loving regenerating enemies which always freaked me out when I was younger, I'm simultaneously excited and dreading it.

Not sure if I need to spoil that but I figured this might be someone's first time playing through RE4 and that's a moment I wouldn't want to give away...

You should play the remake of 2 after that, it is also fantastic.

The 3 remake was kinda meh though.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

I actually grabbed the 2 remake on sale a while back, just haven't gotten around to it yet, but I probably will pretty soon here given how solid this one has been.

I think I only ever played through 3 once when I was younger, and remember basically nothing at all about it, so I don't even have nostalgia going for me on that one, I'll likely skip it.

Medullah posted:

I still overall prefer RE2 remake, the story/puzzles/action is the right mix for me, RE4 is a little too actiony for my tastes.

Still put 160 hours into it

That's good to hear, I could use more puzzles with my action. Also does RE4 give you harder puzzles on the harder difficulties? Something about the puzzle design makes me suspect that's the case.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

MockingQuantum posted:

I actually grabbed the 2 remake on sale a while back, just haven't gotten around to it yet, but I probably will pretty soon here given how solid this one has been.

I think I only ever played through 3 once when I was younger, and remember basically nothing at all about it, so I don't even have nostalgia going for me on that one, I'll likely skip it.

That's good to hear, I could use more puzzles with my action. Also does RE4 give you harder puzzles on the harder difficulties? Something about the puzzle design makes me suspect that's the case.

I really enjoyed RE3 too, to be fair. My stance on it has always been "Fantastic as a sub $15 game/DLC for RE2 but don't compare it to the original".

The puzzles kiiiiind of get harder in the harder modes but it's more like "Instead of the note telling you the time on the clock, it gives you roman numerals to make it harder", or "One more layer of pathing in the island door puzzles". Nothing truly difficult.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Medullah posted:

I really enjoyed RE3 too, to be fair. My stance on it has always been "Fantastic as a sub $15 game/DLC for RE2 but don't compare it to the original".

The puzzles kiiiiind of get harder in the harder modes but it's more like "Instead of the note telling you the time on the clock, it gives you roman numerals to make it harder", or "One more layer of pathing in the island door puzzles". Nothing truly difficult.

Yeahhh that's pretty accurate, the RE3 remake does just feel like DLC for 2. It's so short. I did enjoy playing it, and yeah I had picked it up on sale for like $10-15, at that price it's worth it.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Medullah posted:

That's kind of disappointing, actually.

That said I hate when games give you harder puzzles on higher overall difficulties, so you're stuck with harder combat too. I don't usually have the time or patience to get very good at action games anymore these days, so I rarely play on Hard unless it's pretty immediately apparent that Normal or whatever is going to be a steamroll by the end.

More games need separate "puzzle" and "combat" difficulty settings like some of the Silent Hill games had! though that said, idk how many games there are out there that actually change the difficulty of puzzles on different settings, it might be pretty rare.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Normally not really a fan of jumpscares but I just want to point out this one from Song of Horror that I quite liked, both due to its unexpectedness and how it's not one I've seen before:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3t4JTEhM-E&t=2146s

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Morpheus posted:

Normally not really a fan of jumpscares but I just want to point out this one from Song of Horror that I quite liked, both due to its unexpectedness and how it's not one I've seen before:

That's pretty neat, better than the usual bigger in-your-face ones.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Morpheus posted:

That was a good one. I'd like to see one where you're examining an object and like the figure in the photo reaches out to you or something.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

RE2make passed RE7 in sales today!

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer

Morpheus posted:

My only gripe with that game was it was prone to crashing often, aside from that one thing that game was awesome.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

al-azad posted:

Thirding (fourthing?) Who's Lila. A short experience, neat meta aspects, some moments that still haunt me.

7.5 Hours of Who's Lila analysis just dropped

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiH2SjjowKw

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
I've started on Little Hope, and it if nothing else, it seems a bit less tedious than Man of Medan, this time playing with another person. I feel like I enjoy this *type* of game even when it's not especially well-executed like I'm seeing with these two.

Question about Man of Medan: if the real issue is a bioweapon, then what was up with the arranged coffins/spooky shrine business? Or was the bioweapon specifically engineered to make you see horror movie tropes? Did I just not read enough of the scraps of paper everywhere?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Danknificent posted:

I've started on Little Hope, and it if nothing else, it seems a bit less tedious than Man of Medan, this time playing with another person. I feel like I enjoy this *type* of game even when it's not especially well-executed like I'm seeing with these two.

Question about Man of Medan: if the real issue is a bioweapon, then what was up with the arranged coffins/spooky shrine business? Or was the bioweapon specifically engineered to make you see horror movie tropes? Did I just not read enough of the scraps of paper everywhere?

I believe it's supposed to be Scarecrow-style "fear gas" so people start seeing spooky poo poo all over.

If you're going for a "everyone lives" ending for Little Hope I'm going to spoil a mechanic for you. the personality locks on all the characters have to be destroyed by the end or they will die.. It's a mechanic that was used in the series once and then not again because it sucks.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Bighuge Resident Evil bundle on Humble: https://www.humblebundle.com/games/resident-evil-decades-horror-village-edition

Don't know what it is in dollars, but in Euros, €31~ gets you 0-8 (4 is original, not remake), Revelations 1 + 2, plus a discount coupon for the Village DLC expansion.

€18~ gets you the same, minus Village and the coupon.

Instant Grat fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Aug 11, 2023

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
Now this was a pretty interesting take on a common subject of discussion! (Not to mention a moment that's not much of a plot point.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVSpz8IuAXU

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Agent Escalus posted:

Now this was a pretty interesting take on a common subject of discussion! (Not to mention a moment that's not much of a plot point.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVSpz8IuAXU

I do feel like this actually misses the point of basements. Sure, i can accept that they are scary because they are unfurnished, but that also applies to most attics and other storage spaces plus the whole backrooms/liminal spaces trend.
Honestly I feel like basements are so common in horror because they are metamorphically(or actually) a descent into the underworld and especially for games cannot be perceived from the outside. Because you cannot see them from outside the size and layout are unknown and there's no limit to how many levels there are, in contrast to an attic or the house in general. The fact that you often can't even see out makes you feel more isolated in them and more disoriented when it comes to navigating.
This also part of why sewer levels suck, because they heighten those aspects to the point of frustration.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I feel like the things inside the basement were much worse than the door leading to it

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

There's a lot of stuff that goes into basements being scary for kids. It's dark, dirty, and full of spiders. There's a lot of stuff down there that is a lot bigger than you are that you aren't familiar with and can't fully see tucked away behind other stuff. Possibly dangerous things are left out rather than stored away.

For adults imo it's more of a question of escape. If you're on ground level then it's possible to break a window and run away, or at least yell really loudly. But a basement is buried underground, insulated from sound. It usually has one and only one door, and you can't just try and knock down a wall. There's often windows but they're high up and too small to crawl out of. It has the feeling of being trapped more than any other part of a house. And there is of course the previous primal fears, like the idea that the basement is where unclean things are.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
“The basement is dark. It is buried. It is a place of cobwebs where memories are stored...It is a place that, barring some specific errand, we seldom ever want to go.”

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

my basement sparkles and is verified ghost free sucks to be you weirdos with your poo poo houses

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I should be charging rent to any poltergeist that shows up

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I don't even have a basement :smugdog:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Captain Hygiene posted:

Until that day you notice a mysterious door behind your fridge

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Captain Hygiene posted:

that you know of

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I was never especially scared of the basement when I was a kid but then I had a nightmare where Goro from Mortal Kombat lived down there and then I never wanted to go into the unfurnished part again

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Medullah posted:

Until that day you notice a mysterious door behind your fridge

I have dreams like this a lot, but I usually wake up disappointed because more often than not it's finding new areas of the house filled with cool stuff rather than spooky poo poo.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

You can't be spooky without a basement which is why swamps are the most peaceful place on earth.

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
How do I find people who are gonna play TCM on PS5? I pre-ordered it and am hype.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

CuddleCryptid posted:

You can't be spooky without a basement which is why swamps are the most peaceful place on earth.

It's all peace and quiet until a gator bites your butt. Plus leeches.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I'm so glad Conversations with Curtis is a thing. For those who don't know, the actor who played Curtis Craig in 90s FMV Horror game Phantasmagoria 2 - Paul Morgan Stetler - has a YT channel. He does interviews and plays games and he collaborates with the actress who played the main character in Phantasmagoria 1, as well as Noah Antwiler/The Spoony One who no doubt helped introduce Phantasmagoria 2 to a lot of folks like me who had no PC in the 90s and certainly didn't lay PC horror games.

Phantasmagoria 2 was always my favorite thing Spoony did in fact since it looked like a genuinely interesting game. I remember him praising the first game more than the second so I was actually kinda disappointed at how much more...hokey the first game is. It never felt nearly as dark or oppressive as the sequel. Having a fuckin' gnome lady and that soundtrack doesn't help, neither does how Evil Don is such a clown. But hey, whatever.

Point is, the itnernet is a cool place at times and I'm glad these old performers can still get celebrated for their efforts and make money and all that good stuff.

Ripper, meanwhile, despite having a cast of notable people, is somehow infinitely worse than either Phantasmagoria game. Gonna enjoy watching Paul and Noah go through it.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

He was also one of the first canoncially, openly bisexual characters in games which is a big deal. Voidburger did a pretty good video essay on it.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

CuddleCryptid posted:

He was also one of the first canoncially, openly bisexual characters in games which is a big deal. Voidburger did a pretty good video essay on it.

She's also hosting the latest episode of Retronauts where she's interviewing Stetler and the woman that played the bdsm lady about the game. I'm only partway through but it's a good chat.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Have any of you played I Did Not Buy This Ticket? It was released during LudoNarraCon - all I know about it is it's a "short, psychological horror experience" where you play a professional mourner, whose job is to go to the funerals of strangers and weep.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Instant Grat posted:

Have any of you played I Did Not Buy This Ticket? It was released during LudoNarraCon - all I know about it is it's a "short, psychological horror experience" where you play a professional mourner, whose job is to go to the funerals of strangers and weep.

Oooo that looks like it makes use of what Literature Club did a little and makes you feel off kilter with visual elements that make sense but are clearly 'wrong' (like the bus drivers eye). I really like that!

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Instant Grat posted:

Just read that Junji Ito story about the professional mourner woman, so perfect timing! This looks very much up my alley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

No way, they 3 remake is great. It's just too drat short. It made it a bad deal at $60 but now that it's available for cheap it's a great way to kill a few evenings.