Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
What's a good way to abuse Ahsoka/Captured TIE + Roark Garnet? So far the only thing I can come up with is sticking Black Market Slicer Tools on Ahsoka to maybe take advantage of her pilot ability along with PS12 Captured TIE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Panzeh posted:

You can pretty easily build a 58-pt Kyle Dash and no-bomb Miranda.

Kyle PTL Dash is still good, he just takes more foresight to fly than Kanan PTL Dash.

Norra is a good buddy for Dash too. Can even do the regen stuff too.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

What's a good way to abuse Ahsoka/Captured TIE + Roark Garnet? So far the only thing I can come up with is sticking Black Market Slicer Tools on Ahsoka to maybe take advantage of her pilot ability along with PS12 Captured TIE.

This is stupid, but could be fun

Roark Garnet — HWK-290 19
Twin Laser Turret 6
Ship Total: 25

Ahsoka Tano — TIE Fighter 17
Intimidation 2
Black Market Slicer Tools 1
Captured TIE 1
Sabine's Masterpiece 1
Ship Total: 22

Gold Squadron Pilot — Y-Wing 18
Twin Laser Turret 6
R3-A2 2
BTL-A4 Y-Wing 0
Ship Total: 26

Biggs Darklighter — X-Wing
R4-D6
Integrated Astromech

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Raged posted:

This is stupid, but could be fun

Roark Garnet — HWK-290 19
Twin Laser Turret 6
Ship Total: 25

Ahsoka Tano — TIE Fighter 17
Intimidation 2
Black Market Slicer Tools 1
Captured TIE 1
Sabine's Masterpiece 1
Ship Total: 22

Gold Squadron Pilot — Y-Wing 18
Twin Laser Turret 6
R3-A2 2
BTL-A4 Y-Wing 0
Ship Total: 26

Biggs Darklighter — X-Wing
R4-D6
Integrated Astromech

I feel like if you're gonna use Roark and a captured tie for intimidation you're better off using Sabine for the free boost/barrel roll and making it easier to bump into people. Bonus points if you throw on an intel agent too, I guess.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I went 3-4 at Hoth with a dumb Hotcop Gunner Kylo RAC and Vader.

Winning a drawing for one of the LE playmats in round 1 took some of the sting out of sucking so bad. I was 0-4 when I got to play against a list with Coran Horn who obligingly jousted me, and went on to win my last 3 against the potatoes who had sunk to the tables as low as me.

The next day I overheard the guy I faced at the 4-2 table in the last round complaining that he didn't think ISYTDS actually works like it says on the card and also is further clarified in the FAQ, so his loss to me "didn't count." Whatever. I think he just didn't like Stunned Pilot on Dash.

The guy running the Team Epic made it rain prize support for dumb little in-game stuff, and even though our swarm of B's failed to sink the opposing Raider, we got enough swag to not care. Plastic Biggs and extended art Omega Ace.

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

I mean maybe you'll have more luck than I did but I feel like the annoyance TIE is a trap. I ended up doing 1 damage over 3 games with BMST and went back to Vader-RAC for Hoth. The 50-50 is just too unreliable. I'd probably put Sabine and a bomb on it, but I feel like you get to the point where you're spending like 25 points on a TIE/ln with a gimmick that has a very easy hard counter (PS9 pilots).

E: Clone Grampa Suppression tie seems to be the more solid option, IMO.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Mar 27, 2017

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

The next day I overheard the guy I faced at the 4-2 table in the last round complaining that he didn't think ISYTDS actually works like it says on the card and also is further clarified in the FAQ, so his loss to me "didn't count." Whatever. I think he just didn't like Stunned Pilot on Dash.

:allears: I love justifications for losing.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Mine all seem to involve calling myself an idiot.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Yeah he was kvetching to a friend that he wasn't going to count it against his "personal record." LOL'ing that the kind of person who ends up playing his final match against another bad like me at the 2-4 table keeps meticulous track of his "personal record."

My first match-up was into a weird list that was strangely capable of neutering the Kylo-Vader Cockpit Cracking Nonsense-- Kavil, Xizor, and a Contracted Scout with Draw Their Fire. I ended up putting ISYTD on the scout towards the end so that he'd eat blinded pilots to soak the damage at least.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Mar 27, 2017

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Jabba crew reveal article

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/3/27/jabba-the-hutt/

He's basically extra munitions for illicits. Costs 5, two crew slots, affects every ship in your squad

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

ConfusedUs posted:

Jabba crew reveal article

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/3/27/jabba-the-hutt/

He's basically extra munitions for illicits. Costs 5, two crew slots, affects every ship in your squad

Space 420 smoke spice erry day.

Before the reveal my Delvan Mud and I were speculating that it would be funny if he took up a team or cargo slot.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I think I found the error. It mentions dropping a Rigged Chute and then using PTL to SLAM away, but you can't SLAM as a free action, right?

Edit: oh wait that's two errors! You can't PTL for a card action either!!

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Some Numbers posted:

I think I found the error. It mentions dropping a Rigged Chute and then using PTL to SLAM away, but you can't SLAM as a free action, right?

Edit: oh wait that's two errors! You can't PTL for a card action either!!

It's just one: Burnout SLAM adds it to your action bar.

But yeah you still can't PTL a SLAM because PTL gives you a free action.

clayburn
Mar 6, 2007

Cammy Cam Juice
My knee jerk reaction is that Jabba is only worth the points in epic.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
I'm still not clear on when "you" means "you" and when it means "this ship" and the Jabba card isn't helping.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

clayburn posted:

My knee jerk reaction is that Jabba is only worth the points in epic.

Mine too, because you basically have to have a party bus with no party dedicated to him, while still having enough points left for other good ships with illicit slots?

I dunno. I haven't yet tried building a squad. You might get decent mileage out of double glitterstim on something.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Poopy Palpy posted:

I'm still not clear on when "you" means "you" and when it means "this ship" and the Jabba card isn't helping.

Yeah, shouldn't it be "a friendly ship"? Going by previous rulings, jabba can only affect the ship he is equipped to.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Yeah, double Dead Man's switch!

Oh, wait...

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Poopy Palpy posted:

It's wrong. The card as written won't be able to affect anyone but the ship it's on since there's no definition for "you/your squad" outside of the ship carrying the upgrade. If they meant the meta "you", as in the player, then it should have been written to say all friendly ships. But yeah the card is useless until an errata and probably only a specific list, since Bossk + Dengar/Lancer is probably the only real mileage you get out of it. Equipping hot shots and fun little extras to a bunch of Zs and Scyks doesn't seem that great.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

We probably should have seen this coming after the Palpatine nerf.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
Design team definitely erred in the side of caution with a 35 point minimum investment compared to palp's 29, but if scum get a shuttle equivalent to the lambda or u-wing that could breathe some life into Jabba.

I think he's got potential, two turns of glitterstim on extra munitions jumpmasters? Cool.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Chemmy posted:

We probably should have seen this coming after the Palpatine nerf.

It's great! This is the first one that is a "maybe" purchase, unlike the other epic ships. I don't know what their expectation for epic ships and "tournament need" is anyway. It takes up huge amounts of retail space, most physical stores only get a couple, and it really only benefits online retailers.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I'm imagining some ordnance and Scavenger Cranes. Like three Z's with Cluster, Chips and Crane. Sure it sucks but whatever man, Missiles all day!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

ConfusedUs posted:

It's a turn maneuver. It's red.

It's a turn manoeuvre, it goes red, AND it still gives you an extra stress.

Poopy Palpy posted:

It always means 'this ship'. Jabba is badly written and doesn't work by RAW. The first bit works fine - when you (this ship) equip this, each illicit in your squad... is all fine. But the instructions on how to spend it only refer to 'your ship'.

I'm super underhwelmed by Jabba.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Wouldn't be the first time they wrote a card that was immediately invalidated upon release, either just by RAW or an FAQ that came with it.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Does R3-A2 still only function at all basically by fiat?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Does R3-A2 still only function at all basically by fiat?

Nah they finally fixed it with the last FAQ. Shame it never came up in a tournament since the ship it was on only ever melted before it fired when I played against it in regionals season.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Wouldn't be the first time they wrote a card that was immediately invalidated upon release, either just by RAW or an FAQ that came with it.

I'm expecting day 1 errata, sadly.

I really wish they'd get proper proofreading done of these cards by experts.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Chill la Chill posted:

Nah they finally fixed it with the last FAQ. Shame it never came up in a tournament since the ship it was on only ever melted before it fired when I played against it in regionals season.

I ran up against it two or three times at Regional or higher events when it was in the "technically doesn't work" camp, but all of those guys were too nice for me to be dick enough to argue their list fundamentally doesn't work RAW despite the obvious intention.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

ConfusedUs posted:

I ran up against it two or three times at Regional or higher events when it was in the "technically doesn't work" camp, but all of those guys were too nice for me to be dick enough to argue their list fundamentally doesn't work RAW despite the obvious intention.

I just wanted to make the judge call just so someone inevitably writes about it online and they actually get attention to fix it. I've allowed people to play it "as intended" for many tournaments, just not higher level ones because it never came up. :3:

I just don't like "as intended" arguments since games are closed systems with no real-world complications or context, and I'm not a mind reader.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

thespaceinvader posted:

I'm expecting day 1 errata, sadly.

I really wish they'd get proper proofreading done of these cards by experts.

Hire me FFG.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

What they need is a lexicon from which they pull the text for every card. Especially for timing issues. That way everything that acts one way has the exact same wording as everything ELSE that acts that way.

Think of the minute difference between the new Falcon title and Inertial Dampeners. Due to that minute difference once works with Kanan, and the other doesn't. But they're so similar that even with a FAQ you still have people playing it incorrectly.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Chill la Chill posted:

I just don't like "as intended" arguments since games are closed systems with no real-world complications or context, and I'm not a mind reader.

I agree. I mentioned here before that a dude was telling me that he thinks guessing zero evades with C-3PO was abusive, and was against the intention of the upgrade. Uhh, dude, when the card was printed there was only the Millennium Falcon and the HWK-290 that could equip it. If that was a concern, it would have been addressed already in the 3 years since and in the reprinting of the card for the prize kit.

For the specific example of R3-A2 I'd give more leeway to the rules as intended argument, because with the timing chart and no other FAQ update the card does literally nothing under any circumstances. Just like Lone Wolf as first printed did literally nothing under any circumstance (said "if there are no friendly ships at R1/2" rather than no OTHER friendly ships, because you always count yourself)
Rolling back to the way it used to work one FAQ ago when the new FAQ makes it literally impossible to use under any circumstances seems like a reasonable interpretation of the judge

DKD
Dec 25, 2011

canyoneer posted:

I agree. I mentioned here before that a dude was telling me that he thinks guessing zero evades with C-3PO was abusive, and was against the intention of the upgrade.

What could be more c-3po than shrieking that you're doomed, only to survive despite your predictions?

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Besides Jabba, you know what's disappointing about the C-ROC? No new illicit upgrades. You would figure there would be a new one with an epic ship.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Raged posted:

Besides Jabba, you know what's disappointing about the C-ROC? No new illicit upgrades. You would figure there would be a new one with an epic ship.

:agreed: Jabba would be carrying some sweet drugs on that boat. I don't know what flavor of drugs is supposed to correspond to the Star Wars fantasy drugs but tgeres gotta be something better than glitterstim that gives you focus/target lock/evade results.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Chill la Chill posted:

:agreed: Jabba would be carrying some sweet drugs on that boat. I don't know what flavor of drugs is supposed to correspond to the Star Wars fantasy drugs but tgeres gotta be something better than glitterstim that gives you focus/target lock/evade results.

An illicit that says "You may ignore all stress and range limits for ability and upgrade purposes" and Dengaroo is back, baby

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Raged posted:

Ya you'd think if they weren't going to put in a new illicit they'd pack it with a couple of glitterstims at least.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

canyoneer posted:

An illicit that says "You may ignore all stress and range limits for ability and upgrade purposes" and Dengaroo is back, baby

That would be worth it for the tears alone.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I, too, would love unlimited range torpedoes and hotshot blasters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
5-6 Z-95s chucking Proton Rockets across the map turn 1 would be pretty hilarious, granted.

• Locked thread