Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Jose Valasquez posted:

The screenshot shortcut before the X was sleep+home not sleep+volume

Yeah but it can also be an issue in the camera, where volume up = take photo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Pivo posted:

Maybe I'm not understanding you, but why can't you just get a Bluetooth speaker? A BT to Lightning audio port would be a very weird product, whereas Bluetooth speakers are incredibly common.

Oh sure, I know the simple solution is get a BT speaker, like you say it’s not like they’re hard to find! It was more a “I’ve already got this thing, can I make it do this other thing” type of question.

Endless Mike posted:

Maybe he likes the speaker he has.

In any case, no, I'd be very surprised if such a product existed for the reason you stated.

There's BT to 3.5 mm headphone jack if the speaker has that port, though.

You might be able to cobble some adapters/dongles together to get to where you want, but I have no idea if such a thing would work.

Yeah, I didn’t really think such a thing would exist, it is a pretty odd request I realise! Still, if you don’t ask etc etc.

Thank you both for your replies, I appreciate it.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
There is also a sabrent airplay receiver to 35mm, works well enough

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Is there a more convenient way to access quick music controls than swiping from top right? Even with my huge rear end hands it’s a stretch

fr3lm0
May 25, 2004

rage-saq posted:

That’s not the part I’m complaining of, when I do this gesture on the home screen it just kind of pulses up and back, but if I start to swipe up and pull it very slowly sometimes it figures out I want the switcher. It’s annoying and should work just the same as when in an app, where it’s quick and easy to pull up.

I think it's just a matter of a little practice and muscle memory. If I swipe from the bottom to the top of the dock on the home screen, it brings up the switcher every time. It's so similar to the go home gesture that they can be hard to tell apart if you're watching someone, but after 2 days I can do them both reliably.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

kingcobweb posted:

Is there a more convenient way to access quick music controls than swiping from top right? Even with my huge rear end hands it’s a stretch

Reachability helps to do this one-handed though it turns it into a two-swipe gesture instead of a single one. I’d be happy to hear of a better way.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Jose Valasquez posted:

I just meant the problem of having to figure out a special grip so as to not hit the volume button while you hit the sleep button.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

withak posted:

I just meant the problem of having to figure out a special grip so as to not hit the volume button while you hit the sleep button.

i never had any issues with this but i always hit the power button by accident when i try to take a photo with the volume button. every single time

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Jose Valasquez posted:

I'm a retard and I tried hitting sleep + swiping up on my X the first time to see if it worked

fr3lm0
May 25, 2004

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

I'm a retard and I tried hitting sleep + swiping up on my X the first time to see if it worked

Swiping up still works for stuff like ending wiggly icon rearrange mode, so I don't blame you for trying it.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Has anyone actually been able to cancel an IUP Preorder and pick one up in the store?

I was blocked by the Apple store from entering a second order of any kind, and the Apple Support chatbot (which hilariously insisted that it was a person when it obviously was not) basically told me that I would have to cancel my pre-order, wait 24 hours, and then place a new order for in store pickup.

In the time of that chat, everything went out of stock again, but I am left with the impression that I would not be able to go get a phone in store, even if I just paid cash, since I already have one on order.

I am more and more regretting trying the IUP program, but the fact that it blocks me from just buying a phone too is lame as hell.

What am I doing wrong here? I just want to go to the fruit store and buy a phone.

lox
Apr 24, 2006

coffin party

Ultimate Mango posted:

Has anyone actually been able to cancel an IUP Preorder and pick one up in the store?

I was blocked by the Apple store from entering a second order of any kind, and the Apple Support chatbot (which hilariously insisted that it was a person when it obviously was not) basically told me that I would have to cancel my pre-order, wait 24 hours, and then place a new order for in store pickup.

In the time of that chat, everything went out of stock again, but I am left with the impression that I would not be able to go get a phone in store, even if I just paid cash, since I already have one on order.

I am more and more regretting trying the IUP program, but the fact that it blocks me from just buying a phone too is lame as hell.

What am I doing wrong here? I just want to go to the fruit store and buy a phone.

Seems like you’ve missed your chance on this. Through Verizon, I had one preordered, but heard from a little birdie that stores got restocked Saturday (11/4) morning. 6AM EST I was able to place an order for in store pickup at Apple Upper East Side, again through Verizon, I just gave them a different phone number on our Verizon account (since ultimately it’s as easy as swapping SIMs to swap the numbers back). Walked in at 9AM and walked out at 9:30AM with my new 10, cancelled the pre order online, swapped SIMs, and voila. Seems like stores won’t be getting anymore shipments now until December, that is, if you don’t hear from a little birdie first.

Edit: this is also in regards to the super rich and populated tri-state area, so other parts of the country/world may be different. I also should have noted I was able to purchase two in store by just using two different numbers on my account. Pros of having a large family.

lox fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Nov 5, 2017

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

I was able to get an iphone x on launch day - but I still have a pre-order w/ the apple store that is supposed to ship on the 17th. Would it be beneficial to keep the preorder and sell it on ebay or craigslsit or whatever? My gut says it won't be worth it, but it would be kinda nice to keep the airline points I would get from purchasing the iphone w/ my CC.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

arbybaconator posted:

I was able to get an iphone x on launch day - but I still have a pre-order w/ the apple store that is supposed to ship on the 17th. Would it be beneficial to keep the preorder and sell it on ebay or craigslsit or whatever? My gut says it won't be worth it, but it would be kinda nice to keep the airline points I would get from purchasing the iphone w/ my CC.

Sell it to me :)

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

arbybaconator posted:

Multiple people in this thread have said they have walked into stores without preorders and bought a phone no problem. Looks like Apple has kept up with demand so you more than likely won’t be selling it for that much over MSRP to make it worth it imo.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

arbybaconator posted:

It might ship sooner, my order got moved up once already and now I've checked and it says ready to ship.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I ordered through Verizon with a ship date around December 1st. It has not changed the date at all. Hopefully, that changes soon.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Charged my phone wirelessly with a QI charger for the first time. Feel like I’m living in the goddamned future.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Went into the Apple store today and was able to change my phone from an outright purchase to an iPhone Trade Up Program thingy. I figured I might as well since I always want a nicer phone when it comes out anyway. It's also nice to not have to drop $1,000+ in a single purchase. The only real downside I see with this is that I'm going to be in the Apple eco-system forever unless I pay for the phone outright again. Anyone know what the deal is in terms of "what Apple gets out of it"? I'm thinking that they can sell them refurbished or strip them for parts.

I'm still up in the air about being forced to have Applecare+.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

obi_ant posted:

Went into the Apple store today and was able to change my phone from an outright purchase to an iPhone Trade Up Program thingy. I figured I might as well since I always want a nicer phone when it comes out anyway. It's also nice to not have to drop $1,000+ in a single purchase. The only real downside I see with this is that I'm going to be in the Apple eco-system forever unless I pay for the phone outright again. Anyone know what the deal is in terms of "what Apple gets out of it"? I'm thinking that they can sell them refurbished or strip them for parts.

You kinda answered your own question three times: they trap you in the Apple system forever, they force you to buy AppleCare (which is where their real profit is), and they get replacement parts.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
If you upgrade every year then you are basically selling your used phone back to Apple for less than you would get on the open market. In return you get an interest-free loan and you don't have to deal with any wierdos on Craigslist/eBay at trade-in time I guess.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

Ultimate Mango posted:

You have to call Apple to cancel your preorder and then go online after and order for pickup.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Bought the 2015 Samsung Fast Charge wireless charger after I said I wouldn't, since I had $20 in Best Buy fun bux. Demo'ed it in store and was impressed with the fact that it started charging (through my case) before I even set it down. Curious to see if it actually fast charges after Apple patches that in.

Also, the camera in the 8/X is bonkers :chanpop:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

enojy posted:

it really is. portrait mode is bananas. i took a candid of a friend and we were both like ":stare: that's a good picture"

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I know it’s “beta” but is there a trick to using that dumb stage lighting filter? It always looks like it’s cutting off someone’s hair weirdly.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Feenix posted:

I know it’s “beta” but is there a trick to using that dumb stage lighting filter? It always looks like it’s cutting off someone’s hair weirdly.

Don't have hair!

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Feenix posted:

Don't know if this helps, but one thing that i've seen cause that is having a light source in the background of the photo.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
iTunes is poo poo. I am trying to authorize my PC but it said > 5 authorizations disallowed. Okay, so I log in and deauthorize two computers. Now there are only three. Trying to authorize my PC I still get the same error. Uninstalled and reinstalled iTunes, still get the same problem.

Do I just have to wait for the servers to update or something?

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Okay apparently I had to press the "deauthorize all" button.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
I can’t tell if this animation issue is real or if I’m going crazy. The icons morph as I slide back and forth. It’s more apparent on the folders.

https://youtu.be/OuqremCl9Ho

edit: wtfwtwfwtf it's only happening on my phone if I watch the video on another device it isn't there
edit2: it's some sort of ghosting i guess? maybe it's an OLED thing. only happens on black backgrounds
edit3: only happening at very low brightness settings. happens at full brightness too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbBvT3OK054
there we go. so weird.

dc3k fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Nov 6, 2017

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

enojy posted:

Jesus gently caress, I need to get rid of my 7+ and get an X :stwoon:

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
So how is it bart, good?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

The Apple silicone cases are all out of stock. Can someone suggest me a "thin" case that has a raised bump on the camera and a raised bump for the screen without any crazy designs? The https://www.totalleecase.com/ case has the bump on the camera, but not that back. Any other suggestions?

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

obi_ant posted:

The Apple silicone cases are all out of stock. Can someone suggest me a "thin" case that has a raised bump on the camera and a raised bump for the screen without any crazy designs? The https://www.totalleecase.com/ case has the bump on the camera, but not that back. Any other suggestions?

The Diztronic TPU case for the X is great and only :10bux:. I have used their cases for the past 3-4 generations of iPhone and they have always protected my phone well and felt great despite being super thin.

Color selection is limited right now, hopefully they come out with some new variants over time but they are cheap enough that I grabbed the black one to have at launch.

eames
May 9, 2009

dc3k posted:

I can’t tell if this animation issue is real or if I’m going crazy. The icons morph as I slide back and forth. It’s more apparent on the folders.

https://youtu.be/OuqremCl9Ho

edit: wtfwtwfwtf it's only happening on my phone if I watch the video on another device it isn't there
edit2: it's some sort of ghosting i guess? maybe it's an OLED thing. only happens on black backgrounds
edit3: only happening at very low brightness settings. happens at full brightness too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbBvT3OK054
there we go. so weird.

I think that’s intended behavior to prevent screen burn-in with the OLED. Kind of neat. Older Plasmas would just shift the whole image by a pixel or two but this is much more effective, kind of like a screen saver.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

obi_ant posted:

I have https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073V78LFS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_.PfaAbHW9Q9YS

It has a healthy lip on the front and a slight lip on the camera.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

obi_ant posted:

The Apple leather cases.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

obi_ant posted:

You're not "stuck", you can buy out the phone at any point if you want to move to Android for whatever reason and if you just make the payments for 24 months you own it outright.

Like others have said, Apple gets more money (now you're paying them directly for phones as opposed to paying through a carrier who takes a cut + Apple care which most people don't really need) and since they let you upgrade each year by turning in your old phone they not only retain more customers year over year, but now have a steady stream of phones to refurbish/use for parts.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Anyone else run into this bug?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208240

I had it happen over the weekend and thought I was just crazy until it happened to the waifu too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Maneki Neko posted:

Anyone else run into this bug?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208240

I had it happen over the weekend and thought I was just crazy until it happened to the waifu too.

You can do the fix they recommend, or you can try changing the phone language to some other language, then back to English. Both seem to fix the problem.