Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I think the sneaky absurd thing about resistance fighters is that they don't trigger the enemy LOS with their attacks, so they're getting like 3-4 extra turns worth of shooting in the right situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The Lost aren't amazing but visually I think the petrified corpses are really spooky.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Someone told me that rulers don't react on move actions anymore.

That someone's a dickhead.

quote:

The Lost aren't amazing but visually I think the petrified corpses are really spooky.

The spooky part of it for me is the idea that the Ethereals didn't know that those canisters were going to do that. ADVENT doesn't know what is going on with the Lost.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

RBA Starblade posted:

Someone told me that rulers don't react on move actions anymore.

That someone's a dickhead.

The spooky part of it for me is the idea that the Ethereals didn't know that those canisters were going to do that. ADVENT doesn't know what is going on with the Lost.

The only changes are that they don't react to reloads, or stuff outside their LOS.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

RBA Starblade posted:

"We dropped these things on literally everything we've met in the god damned universe and this is the one planet that hosed it up. Which is really just typical of humans in general, really."

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Crazygamer posted:

Had an interesting item interaction with spectres and sustaining spheres; my templar had a sphere and got shadowbound, but when I killed the spectre, the shadow triggered the sustain. After the sustain expired the shadow stayed alive (for about 3 seconds) but my templar remain unconscious. Had to carry him out since I didn't have revive protocol with me. So, yeah, maybe don't use sustain spheres ever, as that situation could have been a lot worse had that not been the last enemy on the map.

So the shadow used his Shadow Sustain Sphere, but did it use up your Templar's real sphere? I'm assuming not, but I figured it's important to know.

Caros
May 14, 2008

BlazetheInferno posted:

The only changes are that they don't react to reloads, or stuff outside their LOS.

They do however, take a reaction following every single shot from a reaper banish.

I learned this when using it on the archon ruler. He killed half my squad before I got to act again. :xcom:

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Pretty sure I just got spotted through a wall. Can mechs sense you if you're close enough but not in sight?

edit: yeah just reloaded a save and I got spotted through a different wall. Is there some minimum proximity enemies will spot you in? Something weird is going on if not.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Caros posted:

They do however, take a reaction following every single shot from a reaper banish.

I learned this when using it on the archon ruler. He killed half my squad before I got to act again. :xcom:

Someone asked if that would happen earlier today, so it's good to know the answer. RIP.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
A Better Advent has an early WotC version up.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1126623381

:getin:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

quote:

1 new Lost
- Boomer: Explodes like a frag grenade when killed.

An exploding enemy that summons more enemies when you kill it. Brilliant???

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
So the zombies are the ones who actually control the planet right now, yeah? Any mission with the Lost sit rep has them scattered all over the map, sitting on whatever critical poo poo I'm here to fight over, while the local Advent adopt a policy of "maybe if we ignore them they'll go away".

Almost inevitably while my squad sneaks toward the objective a muton farts and the whole place turns into a bloodbath.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Internet Kraken posted:

I wish he had put in the description that the explosion is random. It's not a distinct enemy, it just happens. Maybe there's some visual indicator but I didn't see a unique name and when I fired at a Lost near Dragunova in the mission and my UI disappeared, I knew something just went wrong.

Then it blew up.

And then on reload it never happened again.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Internet Kraken posted:

90% unironically: Yes.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
So I've never watched a beaglerush stream before, does he always take 3 hours prepping before each mission?

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

CharlestonJew posted:

So I've never watched a beaglerush stream before, does he always take 3 hours prepping before each mission?

Yes. This is part of why he's "good" at the game. He over-analyzes everything and double-triple-quadruple checks everything. X-Com is all about tilting the RNG into your favor and he knows how to do that, and it starts before the mission has even began.

edit: I went to check Twitch to see if there was a vid up of that Archon Ruler Surprise mission and he's streaming again. He took a break for a few hours I guess but otherwise has apparently been streaming for like 14+ hours??? yikes

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

CharlestonJew posted:

He drags his heels hard.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?

CharlestonJew posted:

Yes. Yes he does. To be fair to him he's playing Ironman at the highest difficulty so if he fucks something up his campaign is basically over.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

With the "All intel costs doubled" dark event does that include covert ops costs to counter things? I assume so. I have to choose between that or an unknown event.

quote:

Thanks, that'll help in the future.

The game feels like it's way slower now, just all around. Do they stll expect that one achievement where you finish the game in July to be done? I guess you could by totally ignoring the expansion stuff, but that seems insanely tight now.

quote:

edit: I went to check Twitch to see if there was a vid up of that Archon Ruler Surprise mission and he's streaming again. He took a break for a few hours I guess but otherwise has apparently been streaming for like 14+ hours??? yikes

Yeah he said earlier he put 30 hours into it so far.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Sep 4, 2017

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
Beagle has produced almost a 15 hour stream per day for the last three days. It's incredible. I love watching him play Xcom.

Also, WotC is incredible. I'm having so much fun with Xcom 2 now. I increased the timers and I'm playing on veteran so I'm still a scrub but I'm really enjoying it.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Colapops posted:

Yes. This is part of why he's "good" at the game. He over-analyzes everything and double-triple-quadruple checks everything. X-Com is all about tilting the RNG into your favor and he knows how to do that, and it starts before the mission has even began.

He's been totally sucked into it. It's awesome.

Well, except for all the gatecrasher attempts right at the start. I'm glad he powered through that and actually got to the meat of the game.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I hope they never nerf the haven defence missions because plucky resistance soldiers plinking berserkers to death is hilarious and awesome and everyone deserves a gently caress yeah moment and a break every now and then. Don't be like the Long War guys, Firaxis.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Just had a mission to extract an engineer. I arrived in the sewers with a group of squaddies and, after surveying the area, found some mechs and snake ladies. Nothing too threatening though. I took a little damage from the mechs, but was feeling pretty good. Then, I'm jumped by a Chosen and a mob of the lost. The ensuing chaos made the assassin lose focus, and she was dispatched with minimal difficulty, but more damage was taken in the meantime, and one of the squaddies was kia. After cleaning everything up and grabbing the engineer, I was told I had to hold out for another 3 turns against waves of aliens...despite a valiant effort, another squaddie bites it. Finally though, evac arrives. Just as my squad is running towards the exit, one of the aliens mind controls one of the surviving squad members. I didn't have the resources to save him, so he was left behind.

This game owns.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

I was assuming that the Haven retaliation missions were only in the early game, a sort of intro to retaliation missions that didn't have the same sort of "you are hosed" impact as the old style. The old style are virtually unchanged when they do show up, right? I haven't noticed any differences.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
I think the retaliation missions drop every 6 weeks. They added a variant retaliation mission that has all the civilians grouped up, but with the worlds greatest champions defending them. I don't think they ever stop, you keep getting them periodically for the whole game. The old type seem the same to me, too.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Does the flamethrower count as an explosive to the lost or is it still the worst heavy weapon?

LordNat
May 16, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

Does the flamethrower count as an explosive to the lost or is it still the worst heavy weapon?

It does not and Lost are weak to fire so anything that does not die to the first burst will die on it's turn. I like having a Flamethrower to swap in for Lost missions.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

As a vaguely related side-note, apparently the Purifier flamethrowers are technically shotguns in the game's mind. Kind of interesting.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Colapops posted:

yeah, he went to sleep like 9 hours ago and probably started streaming one he woke up.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
...today, I learned that Templars can apparently roll the "Obsessive Reloader" trait.

Okay then?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I wish purifiers exploding wasn't random. They don't make Mutons anti-melee random, come on!

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

I have had a purifier flank me and miss his flame shot.
I have mind controlled one and fired it point blank at a mec, and missed.

What the hell is their aim stat?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Somehow I don't think Advent is strapping explosive tanks to their most valuable recruits.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
So has anyone ever actually seen a Rescue mission show up other than Mox? I have two men captured that I'd really like to get back :negative:

This Ironman run has been severely derailed by the Archon King showing up at my first Facility and being let loose into the world. I had a flawless run up until that. Now, three dead and two captured. One dead being Dragunova no less. And I lack the resources to rebuild my SPARK. Fuuuuuuck.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Tae posted:

I wish purifiers exploding wasn't random. They don't make Mutons anti-melee random, come on!

Muton anti-melee is random though?

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Zore posted:

Muton anti-melee is random though?

Don't lie. You know it isn't.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Can you skulljack a purifier to kill it without exploding?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Captain Oblivious posted:

So has anyone ever actually seen a Rescue mission show up other than Mox? I have two men captured that I'd really like to get back :negative:

This Ironman run has been severely derailed by the Archon King showing up at my first Facility and being let loose into the world. I had a flawless run up until that. Now, three dead and two captured. One dead being Dragunova no less. And I lack the resources to rebuild my SPARK. Fuuuuuuck.

Yeah, it just takes a while.

I thought the "Recruit X" would give me a useless squaddie faction soldier, but nope, it apparently scales with the game. Colonel Reaper with enough extra AP to buy most of the skill tree.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I had a resistance squad in a retaliation mission absolutely not need my help at all in fending off several mutons and berserkers, it ruled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

BlazetheInferno posted:

Don't lie. You know it isn't.

Yeah it is. I've killed Mutons with Melee before.