Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Collapsing Farts posted:

Most modern American presidents have been war criminals. Most of your modern wars have been crimes based on lies.

It's just that you got nukes, so the rest of the world has to sort of accept your evil. Same deal with Russia when they gobbled up a piece of the Ukraine. Like, what are ya gonna do? China, Russia and America is the axis of evil and they can do whatever the gently caress they want and continue to do so

Most? Very generous of you there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

China and Russia are nowhere near as evil as America.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
Bu$Hitler

I also remember how left-wing people during that time complained about 'legislating morality', and would resolve the paradox they created for themselves by explaining that their preferred moral system that they would like to encode into the law was 'ethics', not 'morality'.

silence_kit has a new favorite as of 13:12 on May 9, 2021

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
holy poo poo this was from ages ago, disregard, I don't want to make anyone mad

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Collapsing Farts posted:

Most modern American presidents have been war criminals. Most of your modern wars have been crimes based on lies.

It's just that you got nukes, so the rest of the world has to sort of accept your evil. Same deal with Russia when they gobbled up a piece of the Ukraine. Like, what are ya gonna do? China, Russia and America is the axis of evil and they can do whatever the gently caress they want and continue to do so

Britain is so mad it got left off the axis of evil.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
France is way more Axis of Evil than wannabe Britain

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

I love that Trump is somehow at the same time an unlikable goblin person and the prophet of yall-Qaeda who it took four years of solid negative press to make sure it would be distasteful for not-poor white people to vote for him so he didn't get a second term.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Guyver posted:

I love that Trump is somehow at the same time an unlikable goblin person and the prophet of yall-Qaeda who it took four years of solid negative press to make sure it would be distasteful for not-poor white people to vote for him so he didn't get a second term.

Yeah well I gotta give a big ups to the people organizing the voter movement in such places as Atlanta Georgia.

And a huge down to all the voter suppression movements that have sprung up.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Beer doesn't taste good and that's okay but we need to stop pretending so hard that it's delicious. At best it's refreshingly not terrible.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Bullfighters who get gored deserve it

If they didn't want to die horribly they wouldn't have turned slaughter into sport

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

fizzymercury posted:

Beer doesn't taste good and that's okay but we need to stop pretending so hard that it's delicious. At best it's refreshingly not terrible.

It's kinda like black coffee. Someone who hasn't developed a taste for it, like a kid, will think it tastes bad, because it does. You have to learn to like it because it's a drug and serious adults drink it because of "culture" etc.

I guess lots of people put milk and sugar in their coffee and drink strawberry liqueur so you can escape the bitterness if you really want to tho.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

fizzymercury posted:

It's an acquired taste but so is sushi (to my tastes at least, I'm not trying to speak universally across cultures here). Both things are good to some people and not others too. I really enjoy a good beer, but I also like bitter/sour/funky tasting things in general.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Québec is the best canadian province and it isn't a hard contest

gens du pays c'est votre tour de vous laisser parler d'amour

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Vive le Québec libre

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

There should be a lot fewer restaurants and they should be more expensive. The experience of being waited on by a stranger is bad for people.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
A lot of cultures developed with communal cooking, and expecting every seperate nuclear family to have the time to cook nutritious food every day is another reason why we're so time poor.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Like gently caress it is. People piss away hours every single day scrolling on their loving phones and pretend like they can put a chicken breast in a pan for ten minutes.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

There absolutely should be communal eateries, like cafeterias. And places like food trucks are good too. But you shouldn't be waited on. You shouldn't sit down and have temporary servants for the price of a Red Robin hamburger or whatever.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Gripweed posted:

There should be a lot fewer restaurants and they should be more expensive. The experience of being waited on by a stranger is bad for people.

I don't know about the latter but the former is true. Most restaurants are just serving you reheated Sysco bullshit. Why would you take the time and money to eat a glorified TV dinner? The customer doesn't benefit, the restaurant doesn't benefit their margins are notoriously thin, and the Waitstaff is underpaid and generally treated like poo poo.

The only places that should be allowed are real restaurants with real Chef's who use fresh local ingredients. And the price should reflect that. Everyone wins, The chef gets to practice their art, the customer gets delicious food that only skilled hands could make, and the waitstaff would probably actually be treated like people and could be paid actual wages

Gripweed posted:

There absolutely should be communal eateries, like cafeterias. And places like food trucks are good too. But you shouldn't be waited on. You shouldn't sit down and have temporary servants for the price of a Red Robin hamburger or whatever.
It's weird that they've so fallen out of favor, they used to be relatively common in the US

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Gripweed posted:

That's fair, I don't think the American experience compares to mine in Australia

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Gripweed posted:

There should be more restaurants and they should be cheaper. And not have waiting.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Restaurants should be more expensive, but almost everyone should have more money.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Food should be abolished and humanity genetically engineered to get all of our energy directly from the Sun.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Byzantine posted:

Food should be abolished and humanity genetically engineered to get all of our energy directly from the Sun.

drat I thought you Died Wolfe

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Byzantine posted:

For it is written: man cannot live on baryons alone.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Fast food restaurants have a more efficient model and less of an environmental impact per person served therefore the morally superior choice when dining out.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Gaius Marius posted:

I don't know about the latter but the former is true. Most restaurants are just serving you reheated Sysco bullshit. Why would you take the time and money to eat a glorified TV dinner? The customer doesn't benefit, the restaurant doesn't benefit their margins are notoriously thin, and the Waitstaff is underpaid and generally treated like poo poo.

The only places that should be allowed are real restaurants with real Chef's who use fresh local ingredients. And the price should reflect that. Everyone wins, The chef gets to practice their art, the customer gets delicious food that only skilled hands could make, and the waitstaff would probably actually be treated like people and could be paid actual wages

It's weird that they've so fallen out of favor, they used to be relatively common in the US

I agree, only rich people should be allowed to eat out

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I will never find another human being less relatable than those who say they hate eating and food is a chore.

Yes I'm fat

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I will never find another human being less relatable than those who say they hate eating and food is a chore.

Yes I'm fat

Never ever break your jaw.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
I haven't broken my jaw, but I had a severe overbite so I had to pull some teeth and have very tight braces, and when they were first put in and every time I went in to tighten them, I had to subsist on liquid food for about a week every time. After that I don't think I could ever try soylent or huel or whatever, I yearned for chewing and texture after about two days.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Phosphine posted:

I haven't broken my jaw, but I had a severe overbite so I had to pull some teeth and have very tight braces, and when they were first put in and every time I went in to tighten them, I had to subsist on liquid food for about a week every time. After that I don't think I could ever try soylent or huel or whatever, I yearned for chewing and texture after about two days.

I still have a month to go on Ensure or Boost.

Or shredding food in a blender.

It doesn't matter what I put in the blender it comes out like baby bird food.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
That doesn't sound like you hate food though. That sounds like you miss food very very badly.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Byzantine posted:

Au contraire, humanity should be genetically engineered so that the average adult needs 5-6 thousand kcals to maintain their weight and we can all pig out to our hearts' content on wonderful food

Also in my new world vegetarianism will be mandated by law to sustain our vastly increased consumption

Humans will basically be smarter gorillas, getting buff as hell on salad and fruit

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Au contraire, humanity should be genetically engineered so that the average adult needs 5-6 thousand kcals to maintain their weight and we can all pig out to our hearts' content on wonderful food

Also in my new world vegetarianism will be mandated by law to sustain our vastly increased consumption

The giant mono culture crops that it would take to supply world wide vegetarianism would be devastating to the planet and probably be the tipping point to human extinction.

Also if you're not active enough that you aren't already maintaining your weight at at least 4k calories I don't know what to tell you.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Guyver posted:

The giant mono culture crops that it would take to supply world wide vegetarianism would be devastating to the planet and probably be the tipping point to human extinction.
The giant monoculture crops that we grow to supply food for cows are already devastating to the planet.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Guyver posted:

Also if you're not active enough that you aren't already maintaining your weight at at least 4k calories I don't know what to tell you.

I'm 5'5'' don't @ me

e: also I dropped a ton of weight when I had the rona and the followup months of gorging myself to get back up to my normal weight was loving glorious

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 14:10 on May 10, 2021

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I'm really good at maintaining my weight.

My very, very fat weight.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

people talk about cola vs pop, or different names for pillbugs, but the actual most important American regional dialect difference is what did you call the cheaply built extra classrooms outside of your school?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

portables

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
The slums?