Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

pwn posted:

wait what am i missing about the cover?

just the boys sitting at an outdoor cafe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Turbinosamente posted:

If it makes you feel any better I paid out the rear end for Polka Party and In 3D I got years ago in a second hand shop that primarily sold appliances and furniture, so it was a stroke of super luck. And when I went to go check a local record store last month the only thing left of Weird Al's was a CD of Allapalooza with a cracked case. Dude's still popular.

I mean I do not even listen to him enough to justify buying albums at even old normal prices, let alone now, but yeah I wouldn’t say no to a cheap copy of 3D or Alapalooza or whatever.

hexwren posted:

Get all their albums, they’ve a relatively small discography

And very accessible.

:hfive:

All this Ween talk got me hankerin to show off my modest Ween collection

I guess I can see what Deaner CaptainBeeFart was talkin about

And I daren't neglect my CDs (did not bother to grab the disc-only copies of La Cucaracha and The Pod which came with the vinyl)

Observant readers may not the difference in fonts used between the CD and vinyl versions of Quebec.

Bonus backside of the 12GCG promo back cover.

Why oh why do I not have any copy of Chocolate and Cheese?

Edit

feckin noice bruh

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Read After Burning posted:

Ha, I was skipping around Quebec (the album, of course) after posting, and you aren't joking. Here I was, hoping for a bunch of thrash metal. :smith:

I really like the album cover. Other than the colors, what bugged y'all about it?

Off the top of my head, the only album cover that I basically can't even look at is Butthole Surfers' Electric Larryland. What are some album covers that make y'all go "Oh gently caress no"?

they do have a few other songs here and there that are heavy like that (stroker ace, the grobe) but for the most part they're always flipping from one weird genre to the next

the number-one gives-me-the-heebie-jeebies record sleeve is probably the first suicide record.

it's probably also the number-one gives-me-the-heebie-jeebies record, too

hexwren fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jan 6, 2022

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Ha, I was skipping around Quebec (the album, of course) after posting, and you aren't joking. Here I was, hoping for a bunch of thrash metal. :smith:

I really like the album cover. Other than the colors, what bugged y'all about it?

Off the top of my head, the only album cover that I basically can't even look at is Butthole Surfers' Electric Larryland. What are some album covers that make y'all go "Oh gently caress no"?

I think I've posted plenty of them ITT already.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I've got all the studio stuff, but these are the coolest Ween albums I own.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Enos Cabell posted:

I've got all the studio stuff, but these are the coolest Ween albums I own.

That’s the good stuff

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Try Moist Boyz. It is Dean Ween doing heavier stuff. Honestly Ween is probaby one of the best bands out there, they can tackle any genre with ease. Chocolate and Cheese or The Mollusk are probably their most accesible.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

sporklift posted:

Try Moist Boyz. It is Dean Ween doing heavier stuff. Honestly Ween is probaby one of the best bands out there, they can tackle any genre with ease. Chocolate and Cheese or The Mollusk are probably their most accesible.

Yeah, It's Gonna Be a Long Night is pretty much a Moist Boyz song.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

pwn posted:

All this Ween talk got me hankerin to show off my modest Ween collection

I guess I can see what Deaner CaptainBeeFart was talkin about

And I daren't neglect my CDs (did not bother to grab the disc-only copies of La Cucaracha and The Pod which came with the vinyl)

Observant readers may not the difference in fonts used between the CD and vinyl versions of Quebec.

Bonus backside of the 12GCG promo back cover.

Why oh why do I not have any copy of Chocolate and Cheese?

gently caress, now I really need to get La Cucaracha! That one has really grown on me over the years.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Thanks for this.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fu9sqEeAMcM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuaZajDZyHY

Moistboyz are great

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jan 6, 2022

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

I bought this big ol' stack over New Year's weekend; probably spent too much but I got an end-of-year bonus. I was also tipsy, so $100 seemed like a decent deal. :kiddo:

Prices really are getting wild if stuff you couldn't pay people to take out of the used bins a few years ago are going for $100 for 15 records.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
Crazy that Ween's last record was 15 years ago and yet they seem to be more popular than they ever were. Those recent live reissues are on my local store's shelf and he remarked that there's this huge demand in store for Ween stuff. Particularly among young people, like teenagers...most of whom weren't even alive when quebec came out. We chatted about this for a minute and as I was leaving he got a phone call asking if they had any Ween in stock. It's unreal. What's the explanation for this? Did a song of theirs appear somewhere? Is the YouTube algorithm leading people to Ween? Is it just an insane amount of word-of-mouth and shitposting? I mean yeah it rules but what gives?

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I'll poke around the Ween/Moist Boyz recs tomorrow, thanks all!

Barry posted:

Prices really are getting wild if stuff you couldn't pay people to take out of the used bins a few years ago are going for $100 for 15 records.

Ha, I wouldn't know, I've only been into vinyl for about a year. The record store was closed that weekend, and they seem to sell faster than they can get "new" stuff in. I'm sure it would have been at least $30 cheaper to find them all on Discogs, but regardless, I'm still pretty pleased. (I'm also #blessed enough to have some disposable income right now.)

Getting paid to take old records home sounds like a sweet gig. :colbert:

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Barry posted:

Yeah I got half of those exact records from thrift stores or dollar bins

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

BigFactory posted:

Yeah I got half of those exact records from thrift stores or dollar bins

I'm still awaiting the day that I find something at my local Goodwill that's cooler than my pristine copy of Branigan.

From that same Goodwill, I also got a stack of singles of old German crooners, which tickled my German mom half to death.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

lament.cfg posted:

Polka Party is worth something? Hm. I have a copy in my basement overflow of junk thrift store records.

Probably because of short supply and the general:

Barry posted:

Prices going nuts. All that's left on eBay and Discogs are the expensive copies and well at least I was able to get a small deal on it and it was mostly still sealed so it had the newness going for it. Easier to justify.

This is kinda the problem I'm having with getting Signals. As far as I can tell Rush rereleased/remastered all their albums in 2015 on CD only. They have not rereleased albums on vinyl like the rest of the world. So I'm stuck looking at G or barely VG copies of a less popular album that people still want $40 for, taped up jackets and all, and just letting out a big long sigh.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

JAMOOOL posted:

What's the explanation for this? Did a song of theirs appear somewhere?
The kids these days all grew up watching the Spongebob Movie DVD on a loop and Ocean Man is imprinted on their brains, All Star-style.

Also so long as scumbag teens exist, Ween will be in the culture. :rock:

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

JAMOOOL posted:

Crazy that Ween's last record was 15 years ago and yet they seem to be more popular than they ever were. Those recent live reissues are on my local store's shelf and he remarked that there's this huge demand in store for Ween stuff. Particularly among young people, like teenagers...most of whom weren't even alive when quebec came out. We chatted about this for a minute and as I was leaving he got a phone call asking if they had any Ween in stock. It's unreal. What's the explanation for this? Did a song of theirs appear somewhere? Is the YouTube algorithm leading people to Ween? Is it just an insane amount of word-of-mouth and shitposting? I mean yeah it rules but what gives?

Ween is the poo poo. Strange they seem to have no intrest in putting out a b-sides album or reissuing the back catalog. Seems like a no brainer to put out Shinola II.

caligulamprey posted:

Also so long as scumbag teens exist, Ween will be in the culture. :rock:

As long as kitchen employees exist Ween shall be passed down.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

quote is not edit

hexwren fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jan 6, 2022

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

hexwren posted:

they've been doing big fancy rereleases (including vinyl pressings) for the 40th anniversary of their records, so signals might get a fresh coat of paint this year

eta: i also definitely have a modern pressing of roll the bones, so the mercury and atlantic material is getting pressed at different rates but it is getting pressed

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Hot Diggity! posted:

Really wished I pulled the trigger on Armand Hammer's "Haram" the day that album was announced :negative:

Dude The Alchemist put out like 90 versions of Alfredo. There will be more pressings. The plant just needs to get out these copies of colored "Dark Side of the Room" to payless shoes and capacity will open up. Bing bong simple.

e: Wait you mean THIS record?

incoherent fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Jan 6, 2022

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I'm not even sure what's more unnecessary/press clogging at this point between Yet Another DSOTM pressing or Yet Another way overpriced Alchemist FOMO pressing tbh

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

hexwren posted:

they've been doing big fancy rereleases (including vinyl pressings) for the 40th anniversary of their records, so signals might get a fresh coat of paint this year

eta: i also definitely have a modern pressing of roll the bones, so the mercury and atlantic material is getting pressed at different rates but it is getting pressed

Ahh, good to know. Of course bitching on the internet brough up a decent listing on Ebay, but I can still easily be outbid on it.

And in regards to clogging up the plants, are we we done reissuing Fleetwood Mac- Rumors? Surely there must be some color they have yet to do and clearly we must press more copies from here to the horizon just so every one in America can have two copies.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

incoherent posted:

Dude The Alchemist put out like 90 versions of Alfredo. There will be more pressings. The plant just needs to get out these copies of colored "Dark Side of the Room" to payless shoes and capacity will open up. Bing bong simple.

e: Wait you mean THIS record?

Oh yeah I know it will get repressed eventually, just would have been nice to have because it was one of my favorite albums of the year. And good looking out but that's just the instrumentals.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Hot Diggity! posted:

Oh yeah I know it will get repressed eventually, just would have been nice to have because it was one of my favorite albums of the year. And good looking out but that's just the instrumentals.

I think that is album and instrumentals?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

dorium posted:

buy more records to fill the hole.

That's what grindr's for.

Barry posted:

I've been saying this for years and none of you listened!

I'm still awaiting the day that I find something at my local Goodwill that's cooler than my pristine copy of Branigan.

From that same Goodwill, I also got a stack of singles of old German crooners, which tickled my German mom half to death.

I do find fun stuff here and there but the trick is that I go to Savers multiple times a week. Mostly I find nothing and it's all the same junk that's been sitting around. Sometimes I find old punk records, Blue Monday, or decent classic rock. Lately I've been trying to dig up Motown, girl groups, and soul records and have been finding things like that here and there. As much as I come off as a miserable dick I really do enjoy record collecting and I spend a lot of time on it. I'm reading about stuff on discogs just about every day. And it's always exciting to find something really cool and unexpected wedged in between a stack of moldy Lawrence Welk albums.

Turbinosamente posted:

Probably because of short supply and the general:

Prices going nuts. All that's left on eBay and Discogs are the expensive copies and well at least I was able to get a small deal on it and it was mostly still sealed so it had the newness going for it. Easier to justify.

This is kinda the problem I'm having with getting Signals. As far as I can tell Rush rereleased/remastered all their albums in 2015 on CD only. They have not rereleased albums on vinyl like the rest of the world. So I'm stuck looking at G or barely VG copies of a less popular album that people still want $40 for, taped up jackets and all, and just letting out a big long sigh.

You just have to set up want lists and check ebay and discogs A LOT if you want something for a reasonable price. Stuff comes up for cheap it just sells really fast when it does. It's a waiting game really. I'll occasionally cave and pay 40 bucks or something against my better judgement. I just consider it a tax on not being patient. I recently got a copy of Rembrandt Pussyhorse from an ebay seller for free because they told me they'd refund me if the record had a lot of audible scuffs and let me keep it. It's about a VG so it's not absolutely terrible. There are some honest dealers left buried under all the scalpers and speculators.

Turbinosamente posted:

Ahh, good to know. Of course bitching on the internet brough up a decent listing on Ebay, but I can still easily be outbid on it.

And in regards to clogging up the plants, are we we done reissuing Fleetwood Mac- Rumors? Surely there must be some color they have yet to do and clearly we must press more copies from here to the horizon just so every one in America can have two copies.

They still haven't done a lavish reissue where every individual song is issued on a single sized 12" disc mastered at 45 RPM.

gently caress YOU INDIE BANDS, DAD ROCK LPS TO ETERNITY!

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Sweeper posted:

I think that is album and instrumentals?

Oh huh good deal then thanks!

Hot Diggity! fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jan 6, 2022

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

CPL593H posted:

They still haven't done a lavish reissue where every individual song is issued on a single sized 12" disc mastered at 45 RPM.

If you're going to fill out your bingo card: 12" disc at 45 RPM half-speed mastered by Bernie Grundman at Abbey Road.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

CPL593H posted:

gently caress YOU INDIE BANDS, DAD ROCK LPS TO ETERNITY!

Ah that's what's missing to summon the eternal demon of dad rock; I forgot about the half speed mastered at Abbey Road thing. I got a few of those only because that was the only copy of a thing I wanted at a shop.

And yes I'm wholly aware that Rush is on the dad rock side of the equation, it's just funny which bands and labels jumped on the reissue train the most and for the longest.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

CPL593H posted:

That's drat near those Depeche Mode singles boxes though

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Someone sell me their vinyl copy of Independent Worm Saloon. :colbert:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Turbinosamente posted:

Ah that's what's missing to summon the eternal demon of dad rock; I forgot about the half speed mastered at Abbey Road thing. I got a few of those only because that was the only copy of a thing I wanted at a shop.

And yes I'm wholly aware that Rush is on the dad rock side of the equation, it's just funny which bands and labels jumped on the reissue train the most and for the longest.

There's nothing wrong with listening to classic rock, we just don't need any reissues of any of those albums ever again.

My Lovely Horse posted:

A trend I've noticed in the last several years is popular albums being released as box sets containing a bunch of 7" (or occasionally 10") discs that break up the album into singles. And they're always considerably more expensive than just buying the normal LP. I don't understand why anyone would want this.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

My Lovely Horse posted:

I have to say the broken social scene - forgiveness rock record on 7 10" records is super cool yet maddingly infuriating with two songs per side.

e:fb

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
For those of you who alphabetize your collection, with records from the same artists, do you organize those alphabetically, or by release order. Currently I alphabetize mine by artist, then organize each record by alphabetical order as well.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Nihonniboku posted:

For those of you who alphabetize your collection, with records from the same artists, do you organize those alphabetically, or by release order. Currently I alphabetize mine by artist, then organize each record by alphabetical order as well.

By release order, 100%.

The real question for me is, where do I put solo works? Jeffrey Osborne was a singer in LTD...do I put his solo work with LTD, or with the rest of the J's? :ohdear:

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

By release order, 100%.

The real question for me is, where do I put solo works? Jeffrey Osborne was a singer in LTD...do I put his solo work with LTD, or with the rest of the J's? :ohdear:

With the O's of course. Osborne, Jeffrey.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

By release order, 100%.

By release order and he goes in the J's

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Nihonniboku posted:

With the O's of course. Osborne, Jeffrey.

It drives my partner nuts, but I sort mine by first name.

I know, I know.

Barry posted:

By release order and he goes in the J's

Yeah, it seems more "respectful" in a way to keep 'em sorted as normal, rather than pushing 'em in with their old band.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Nihonniboku posted:

chaos mode! van morrison to young thug to string renditions of Lana Del Rey all on one shelf. When we have our few guest over I encouraged people to come and pick out anything to put on.