Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Given the game is funded by microtransactions, you'd think they'd have one for this of all things.

I mean yes, it'd mean new character models but they already have armour that can fit to any of the character models so if the female Duelist was just a palette swap of one of the female classes, that'd still be good.

That's what the oldass MMO SUN did when it finally got rid of genderlocks (long after the English version shut down, of course). The alternate genders of the classes were just the male/female models from the most similar class, since they used the same armor items in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Given the game is funded by microtransactions, you'd think they'd have one for this of all things.

I mean yes, it'd mean new character models but they already have armour that can fit to any of the character models so if the female Duelist was just a palette swap of one of the female classes, that'd still be good.

The classes all have unique voiced dialogue both from and directed towards them v:v:v I think that's where it gets expensive to implement. That said they're supposedly remaking all 7 of the main character models and all the animations for them because they're old and hilariously low quality compared to most of the rest of the game, hopefully they're considering implementing the other gender for each of the classes after that.

Most notorious of the bad character modeling is the templar, the pantsless giraffe man who breaks like 30% of the armor microtransactions you can buy because his neck is too loving long:

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

BioEnchanted posted:

On NPCs nagging you to go to the story, the third Harry Potter game had that in spades - exploring the school, looking for chests and cards an poo poo, then Hermione's all "There's nothing left to do here..." and I'm like "DID YOU NOT SEE THIS CHEST HERMIONE!? There is plenty left to do here. Go to bed if you want to, I'm exploring here..."

I'd just like to say your posts are like the rainbow after a storm, always giving us hope that there's something beautiful out there

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Maxwell Lord posted:

There's gotta be some kind of happy medium, is the thing.

I'm fine with a line reminding you when you load the game up. Character says to themselves "I should check out the temple in the valley, see if I can find the macguffin for whoever" or something. Because sometimes I stop playing a game for months because something else I want to play more comes out, and there have been games I've loaded up and wandered around because I have not got loving clue one where I am supposed to be going or why. But I have seen games that do a literal 2 minute long radio conversation every time, thats too much. And I've definitely played a game that had a short reminder, but yeah, i triggered every time you loaded, entered a new zone, completed a side mission, idled too long or fast traveled you got the "Main quest is this! We have to go now!" reminder. Thats also too much. Once per game session is fine and shouldnt annoy people who dont need it (especially if its kept short and/or they record a couple so you arent hearing the same drat thing every time) while still reminding people who do (If you tell me I have to go to the temple in the valley, you can assume I'll remember that for the amount of time it takes to fast travel to the drat valley).

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."
I really like when a game has a loading screen that catches you up on the plot and your immediate motivation. This, a UI element or a set person you can choose to talk to are fine approaches. When all the NPCs in a game start talking to me like I can't remember who/where/why I am I start to lose interest. That kind of writing just makes the narrative feel too game-y in addition to obviously being really patronizing.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Just got the new monster hunter game. Never played the others before and it’s just not clicking for me. Tutorials aren’t very well done and it just seems like lots of stuff (as in the mechanics) isn’t explained to the player well.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Samuringa posted:

I'd just like to say your posts are like the rainbow after a storm, always giving us hope that there's something beautiful out there

That's not even the game I'm currently playing. In the other thread I'm talking about a surprisingly fun PS2 game based on the Carmen Sandiego cartoon. I've just done a sewer level that had an interesting gimmick and wasn't overly long or confusing.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I always liked the way the Mega Man Battle Network games on the GBA did it - you could hit L basically at any time outside of battle to talk to your partner, who would say "why are you wasting time talking to me when obviously we need to go beat the VirusesBustng Tournament!!" Totally unobtrusive.

Modern Far Cry games have (as already been pointed out) been really terrible with that poo poo, though. Given a lot of the over-signposted design in most Ubi games, I feel like they must have a stable of just profoundly stupid game testers or something.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

MrAptronym posted:

I really like when a game has a loading screen that catches you up on the plot and your immediate motivation. This, a UI element or a set person you can choose to talk to are fine approaches. When all the NPCs in a game start talking to me like I can't remember who/where/why I am I start to lose interest. That kind of writing just makes the narrative feel too game-y in addition to obviously being really patronizing.

In MonHunt's case there is a reminder on the top right of the screen whenever you're at base. Thats fine, no problem. Its not really intrusive as I'm not really eyeing that corner of the screen at base. Its annoying when I went out for a short side quest and hear "Hey partner, I have set up a quest for the fire wyvern and the rock wyvern now". I go out for another short side quest and come back to "Hey partner, I have set up a quest for the fire wyvern and the rock wyvern now". I go into my room and mess with my palico a bit then exit my room. "Hey partner, I have set up a quest for the fire wyvern and the rock wyvern now"

HANDLER

SHUT

UUUUUUPPPPPPPPP :byodood:

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Leal posted:

In MonHunt's case there is a reminder on the top right of the screen whenever you're at base. Thats fine, no problem. Its not really intrusive as I'm not really eyeing that corner of the screen at base. Its annoying when I went out for a short side quest and hear "Hey partner, I have set up a quest for the fire wyvern and the rock wyvern now". I go out for another short side quest and come back to "Hey partner, I have set up a quest for the fire wyvern and the rock wyvern now". I go into my room and mess with my palico a bit then exit my room. "Hey partner, I have set up a quest for the fire wyvern and the rock wyvern now"

HANDLER

SHUT

Can't wait for you to hit the ??? Rathian tracking :v:

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Leal posted:

HANDLER

SHUT

sounds like you could make that go away real easy by just doing the quest

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
To be replaced with the next main quest.

I hate npcs trying to lead you to a location or whatever in an open world game that if you get more than two inches from them stop to scream over here every three seconds. Let me get this plant, gently caress, I'll be right back I promise.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I beat MH World last night. Great game, great ending. Final cutscene is unskippable and the credits are long as hell. Okay I can get that, whatever, I mean it only comes up once. Finish it, wander around the base for a bit, go to bed.

Boot it up this afternoon, and what's this, the ending cutscene starts again, and starts playing in its unskippable entirety. That's right, the game saves right before the ending and not after, so unless you save afterwards, you have to watch it all again. Fuuuck.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
The crowbar makes no sense in Half Life 2, in Half Life 1 I get it and it made sense as you are just a dude at work and the emergency crow bar fits in well - but gently caress off Barney throw me a gun or something you prick "Hey Gordon you'll be needing this" *reaches around his holstered gun and throws down a DIY tool*
Thanks for nothing, and you're never getting that beer either you goddamn rear end in a top hat

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

peter gabriel posted:

The crowbar makes no sense in Half Life 2, in Half Life 1 I get it and it made sense as you are just a dude at work and the emergency crow bar fits in well - but gently caress off Barney throw me a gun or something you prick "Hey Gordon you'll be needing this" *reaches around his holstered gun and throws down a DIY tool*
Thanks for nothing, and you're never getting that beer either you goddamn rear end in a top hat

And then after 30 headcrab zombies with no combine in sight due to phenomenally bad luck you run out of ammo, and wish you had a melee weapon with infinite ammo. The crowbar is versatile, and even if it broke or bent you could still use it to beat things with.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

peter gabriel posted:

It makes complete sense because Barney works for combine as a double agent and can't just hand you his pistol, it's an orwellian nightmare he'd get caught instantly. A crowbar is just ubiquitous enough to be untraceable to him. Also you're gordon loving freeman - it's all you need.

I really like that valve music theme that plays the moment you catch it.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Vic posted:

It makes complete sense because Barney works for combine as a double agent and can't just hand you his pistol, it's an orwellian nightmare he'd get caught instantly. A crowbar is just ubiquitous enough to be untraceable to him. Also you're gordon loving freeman - it's all you need.

The music actually plays when you get back into the HEV suit if I remember right. I do like that as soon as you get the crowbar they give you one of those flying scanner bots to beat the crap out of.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

StandardVC10 posted:

The music actually plays when you get back into the HEV suit if I remember right. I do like that as soon as you get the crowbar they give you one of those flying scanner bots to beat the crap out of.

You're right, I went to check and there's no music when you get the crowbar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZPiCxnBtvE&t=1592s

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Vic posted:

Yeah well he's still not having that beer

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

My thing dragging Half Life down is that big brain scientist Gordon Freeman never figures out how to use a crowbar for leverage and just whacks things with it like a loving caveman.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
gently caress purification actually, you can be stamina-broken while transforming, in a form that slowly drains stamina until deactivating when its depleted. thanks dimps

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

spit on my clit posted:

gently caress purification actually, you can be stamina-broken while transforming, in a form that slowly drains stamina until deactivating when its depleted. thanks dimps

I'm gonna maybe need just a smidge of context on that one.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Mr. Flunchy posted:

My thing dragging Half Life down is that big brain scientist Gordon Freeman never figures out how to use a crowbar for leverage and just whacks things with it like a loving caveman.

DONK DONK DONK CRUMBLE

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

SiKboy posted:

I'm gonna maybe need just a smidge of context on that one.

the majin race in Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 get a transformation that turns them into Kid Buu. Not exactly the character Kid Buu, but they get the same skillset as him, while having completely different basic attacks and ki blasts - they also get an improved block, a weird chainsaw attack that breaks stamina, and an attack that allows them to hone in on the enemy from nearly any distance, that'd usually cost a bar of stamina, but is free for pure majins. However, the transformation's activation takes three seconds, in which the enemy has the time to zoom in on you, and initiate a charged attack that will immediately deplete your stamina, putting you in a deadly stamina break status which both cancels your transformation and makes you take extra damage. You also take even more damage with low stamina/stamina break if you're a male majin, where the bonus is that they get a damage reduction with high stamina.

tl;dr it takes three seconds to transform, enemy can do a charged attack that both prevents you from this transformation and makes you take more damage until your stamina recharges. i guess a way to avoid this is to use some kind of knockback attack on an enemy, and then transform

another thing that bugs me about purification is that ANY other race gets a burst when they transform that knocks people away, so that you cant be stamina broken immediately. Purification does not get that.

spit on my clit has a new favorite as of 01:43 on Feb 14, 2018

Kevin Palpatine
Dec 20, 2017
well I'm glad we cleared that up

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The new monster hunter's QoL improvements are great but they have a bunch of dumb almost-there caveats that could be fixed in a patch but I doubt ever will be, and makes it feel like capcom still didn't quite think through everything they were doing with this game

-For the first time ever you can finally eat meals and change your gear after starting a quest, which is incredibly nice, except you can't change the gems on your armor in a quest. There is no reason not to let you do this. It's easy to get into the mindset that you can just quickly start your quest and do your prep right there without running all the way to the chef or whatever, then arrive and realize you needed to change your gems before the quest

-High rank quests in older monster hunters had a chance to start you in some random zone instead of at base camp. In world, you can just fast travel to any base camp when outside of combat, but they still copy-pasted this feature(??) back for no reason. So you just fast travel back to camp in 5 seconds and it doesn't matter at all, except for the 10% of quests where it dumps you right next to enemies who throw you "into combat" and prevent you from fast traveling. Related to above: This is obnoxious as poo poo if you wanted to eat or change gear in the quest. it's obsolete and no longer adds anything to the game.

-You can change your character's appearance after the start of the game, but only hair/facial hair/makeup, and can't change your cat's appearance at all. There is no reason why they couldn't just open the full character/cat creator back up for you

-My biggest peeve: Capcom went to the trouble of implementing cosmetic armor slots, which is an awesome feature, and then intentionally limited it so you can only wear special armors (like the special edition samurai armor) over other sets, so the feature may as well not exist in general. This is especially dumb because the game's new armor skill system heavily encourages you to clownsuit. Cosmetic armor slots would be perfect because hunter barbie is important, but instead everyone looks like a small child who got loose in a costume store

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

spit on my clit posted:

the majin race in Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 get a transformation that turns them into Kid Buu. Not exactly the character Kid Buu, but they get the same skillset as him, while having completely different basic attacks and ki blasts - they also get an improved block, a weird chainsaw attack that breaks stamina, and an attack that allows them to hone in on the enemy from nearly any distance, that'd usually cost a bar of stamina, but is free for pure majins. However, the transformation's activation takes three seconds, in which the enemy has the time to zoom in on you, and initiate a charged attack that will immediately deplete your stamina, putting you in a deadly stamina break status which both cancels your transformation and makes you take extra damage. You also take even more damage with low stamina/stamina break if you're a male majin, where the bonus is that they get a damage reduction with high stamina.

tl;dr it takes three seconds to transform, enemy can do a charged attack that both prevents you from this transformation and makes you take more damage until your stamina recharges. i guess a way to avoid this is to use some kind of knockback attack on an enemy, and then transform

another thing that bugs me about purification is that ANY other race gets a burst when they transform that knocks people away, so that you cant be stamina broken immediately. Purification does not get that.

See now I could see a crowbar being useful here

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

Morpheus posted:

I beat MH World last night. Great game, great ending. Final cutscene is unskippable and the credits are long as hell. Okay I can get that, whatever, I mean it only comes up once. Finish it, wander around the base for a bit, go to bed.

Boot it up this afternoon, and what's this, the ending cutscene starts again, and starts playing in its unskippable entirety. That's right, the game saves right before the ending and not after, so unless you save afterwards, you have to watch it all again. Fuuuck.

Frankly I'm surprised it autosaves at all, you should've expected something like that. Even in this day and age, Japanese devs (who aren't FromSoft) refuse to have their games autosave.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

peter gabriel posted:

See now I could see a crowbar being useful here

i agree. gently caress you "galick gun" assholes i dont even know what that is, here's a big bang crowbar to the loving knee fly with that ya bastards

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I’m not ok with Monster Hunter World having unskippable cutscenes and sections where you walk slowly while someone talks at you.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The One Concern tower in Iconoclasts is really hard to navigate. The game doesn't really give you a place to make you go towards and locked bolts don't show up on your map so you can end up holding a key and having no idea where you should take it to progress.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

peter gabriel posted:

Yeah well he's still not having that beer

Actually it's Barney who owes you a beer.
:goonsay:

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

RareAcumen posted:

The One Concern tower in Iconoclasts is really hard to navigate. The game doesn't really give you a place to make you go towards and locked bolts don't show up on your map so you can end up holding a key and having no idea where you should take it to progress.

the tower is definitely the low part of the game; being able to call elevators would make it so much less frustrating

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Morpheus posted:

Hunter Rank in particular is the most byzantine thing.

hey now

Gitro
May 29, 2013

If I could pay to swap in the witch's skin/voice for other classes I probably would. Shadow's too.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

PubicMice posted:

Frankly I'm surprised it autosaves at all, you should've expected something like that. Even in this day and age, Japanese devs (who aren't FromSoft) refuse to have their games autosave.

I mean the series has been autosaving at least since i started playing it in Freedom Unite on the PSP. This is just one of the rare times there's a cutscene after a mission.

Oh another annoyance I have is the lack of variety in the monster types. There are far too many flying wyverns and far too many monsters that do fire blight vs other kinds of blight (for reference there are like two that do water blight and only one that does ice blight. Maybe two that do ice damage at all). It sort of makes armors that don't have fire resistance useful only for certain monsters.

Morpheus has a new favorite as of 04:50 on Feb 14, 2018

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I'm enjoying Monster Hunter World but I'm inclined to agree that the tutorials are pretty badly done. This is the first time I've played a MH game and it throws a lot of info at you constantly for the first few hours, and it's all in ludicrously tiny text. Capturing monsters is actually really easy but it doesn't ever explain to you when you should be capturing (i.e.: when it has a flashing skull icon on the minimap, or preferably if you catch it napping).

It's a ludicrously dense game, and I can't blame people for getting turned off by the lack of a modern tutorial where you're shown how to do things, rather than being forced to read a short novel about how to play (a novel that omits a lot of crucial information). This doesn't make the game more challenging, it makes it more boring. It's not 1995 anymore; we've had in-game tutorials teaching you how poo poo works and letting you try it out since at least Half-Life.

The training area for weapons is basically pointless, because it shows a couple of combo moves I can do but all I can hit are static poles. I'm using dual blades, and every now and then in combat I do a sick move where I run up a monster's tail, somersault over its back while stabbing it repeatedly, smash its head in a bit then land on the floor and smack it again. Sometimes I run up walls, leap off and can attempt to mount things. I have no idea how I did that, because it is never explained anywhere and there's no way of practising it. Maybe something like a training mode in basically every fighting game for the last 15 years, where there's an invincible but harmless enemy running about that I can try out moves on? Let it knock me down and whatever, so I can learn how to use my abilities in the actual game.

When poo poo clicks, it's extremely fun. I'm having a great time going out hunting some giant bastard with a few friends, and when you finally kill something that's been hassling you it's such a fist-pumping HELL YEAH moment. But pretending it's not obtuse as gently caress is dumb.

edit: oh, and the multiplayer campaign missions are inexcusably bad. You're all in a session together (at last), and someone posts a quest. Whoops, you can't join it because they haven't seen the monster you're hunting yet. Okay, we'll wait until you see the monster then we'll hop in. Oh no, it turns out we ALL need to solo the mission up until the point we see the monster, and then we all need to quit out and restart the mission as a group. Because reasons.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The Witcher 3: Blood and Wine has issues in the story-department. For one you spend a lot of time trying to find this vampire dude with this long daisy-chain of clues, only for the trail to go cold and then vampire just shows up to meet you anyway.

Then the vampire issues an ultimatum that he's going to unleash a massacre in the city in three days unless he gets what he wants. Instead of being given a timed mission that could go two ways depending on your actions, the game just skips ahead three days to the massacre, with Geralt apparently sitting on his hands in the meantime. This is as bad all those times Adam Jensen got dunked on in a cutscene.

The crux of the plot hinges on a woman who doesn't appear until late into the story, as in past the point-of-no-return when all the open-world stuff is blocked off for the time being. It's really hard to care about her predicament due to the short time knowing her and because in one ending it's resolved by just talking it over with her sister. Though it's for best if you let her get murdered instead since otherwise she gets a slap on the wrist for instigating a killing-spree.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Quote-Unquote posted:

The training area for weapons is basically pointless, because it shows a couple of combo moves I can do but all I can hit are static poles. I'm using dual blades, and every now and then in combat I do a sick move where I run up a monster's tail, somersault over its back while stabbing it repeatedly, smash its head in a bit then land on the floor and smack it again. Sometimes I run up walls, leap off and can attempt to mount things. I have no idea how I did that, because it is never explained anywhere and there's no way of practising it. Maybe something like a training mode in basically every fighting game for the last 15 years, where there's an invincible but harmless enemy running about that I can try out moves on? Let it knock me down and whatever, so I can learn how to use my abilities in the actual game.

Ooh that'd be good. Have some sort of...wooden jagras or something piloted by palicos for you to smash on.

Also if there's a wall that has stuff growing on it, like shelf mushrooms or something (but not stuff you can climb), then running towards it, I thiiiiink with your weapon drawn, will have your guy briefly run up the side and jump off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

RetroArch is bad

gently caress this media center bullshit

i've got to hit F1 to get to the menu because Escape just hard exits with nary a prompt and i had to look up how to bring up the menu while a game's running

all i want to do is play original NES SM3 with infinite lives but no, can't enter in cheat codes directly, have to create a file with the cheat codes in

and then that permanently crashes the game and ruins the save states and gently caress it, i'm starting over with a different emulator

i'm sure there are solutions to these issues but i don't care any more i want SNES9X-level functionality not all this nonsense