Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Rynoto posted:

With that said, rescue missions were pretty much unchanged and can provide a decent, steady stream of income if you don't mind a more active style. Stations are even getting closer to the bubble for them.

I haven't tried one of those missions yet, what would be a good ship for that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Cowcaster posted:

i'm up to about 175 systems visited out of my 285 system road to riches journey and im already theory crafting ships that i will never actually be able to buy since i will jump directly into a black hole in system 284

when i get back i want to get combat vouchers for the engineer that wants combat vouchers, is this a federal assault ship that will do the job in a combat zone without getting its rear end shot off (i have no clue what to put in the low class optional slots except armor plating) https://coriolis.io/outfit/federal_...gun%20pig%20fas

I went through and just overhauled your design because Conflict Zones are the one place where builds can actually matter - and personally I'd suggest a Vulture because it's hardier and is less likely to get shot at than larger ships, but: Try This. It's un-engineered and can be upgraded as you get the parts to eventually have something like This. Note: I just used best rolls for laziness but you should be able to get the idea for how to engineer it.

The reasoning behind all of this is because the FAS is a hull tank like the rest of the Fed ships and is best suited using fast recharging bi-weaves with as much resistance stacked on as possible. For weapons you want ammoless to be used inside of CZs because it's almost non-stop fighting and restocking wastes quite a lot of time. Use the pulses to plink enemies for kill credit and the beams for killing. Everything about the build revolves around keeping you in the CZ for as long as possible - and unfortunately hull tanks always eventually have to go back because of the slow whittling over time so just have to mitigate as much of it as possible.

E:

SpannerX posted:

I liked doing them on my Python as it has tons of passenger space while still being zippy enough to avoid taking much heat damage. Just make sure to bring a heat sink launcher.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Feb 14, 2018

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

SpannerX posted:

The ship you can afford that can fit the most economy passenger cabins. The Anaconda is the best choice if you have the money. The Python is a good choice too, especially because if you play in open you will never have to wait for a large pad. You will want to bring basic shields, and at least one heat sink launcher. The stations get HOT.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Rynoto posted:

I went through and just overhauled your design because Conflict Zones are the one place where builds can actually matter - and personally I'd suggest a Vulture because it's hardier and is less likely to get shot at than larger ships, but: Try This. It's un-engineered and can be upgraded as you get the parts to eventually have something like This. Note: I just used best rolls for laziness but you should be able to get the idea for how to engineer it.

The reasoning behind all of this is because the FAS is a hull tank like the rest of the Fed ships and is best suited using fast recharging bi-weaves with as much resistance stacked on as possible. For weapons you want ammoless to be used inside of CZs because it's almost non-stop fighting and restocking wastes quite a lot of time. Use the pulses to plink enemies for kill credit and the beams for killing. Everything about the build revolves around keeping you in the CZ for as long as possible - and unfortunately hull tanks always eventually have to go back because of the slow whittling over time so just have to mitigate as much of it as possible.

E:

I liked doing them on my Python as it has tons of passenger space while still being zippy enough to avoid taking much heat damage. Just make sure to bring a heat sink launcher.

cool thanks for the advice. i wasn't sure if there was diminishing returns on just shoving in as many armor/shield upgrades as possible. i already had a vulture before i started my road trip, and was under the impression that the federal assault ship is just literally a straight upgrade from it, is the whole reason you say a vulture might be preferable is because it's lower profile? or is there something else about it that makes it more advantageous than a federal assault ship?

the only engineer i've bothered with thus far is maxing out the FSD engineer and nothing else, which is why on my return the plan is to start working on all their unlock requirements. if all goes off without a hitch the idea is to buy an anaconda and start using it for the non-combat stuff, but even with the massive payday i'm hoping for there's no way i'd be able to afford a-ranking the thing and then flying it through a combat zone with a kick me sign on my back

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Feb 14, 2018

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Vulture is a shield tank versus the FAS' hull tanking which gives it an automatic inherent advantage just because you can slap a pair of pulses or beams on it and sit in the CZ forever. FAS will work fine though as long as you're aware of its limitations.

And yeah, rebuys are inevitable when starting out CZs. Everything can be going fine and then woops a huge group respawns and you get turbofucked.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

what determines whether a ship is an armor or shield tanking ship? is it just that the federal assault ship has so much mass that shield generators don't work well?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It's baked into the ship itself as a base stat and then shield gens give bonuses on top of that which has something to do with the optimal hull mass. I'd have to go find all the calculations but it's the same principle with thrusters and such.

Like, Vulture is a small ship with 293MJ base shields versus the FAS as a medium with 133MJ base.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

well dang i had no idea different hulls had different innate stats. i thought everything was calculated equally only based on the mass/module size/module class.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It's one of those things that isn't really explained anywhere in game for some reason and a very common misconception. Both the wiki and coriolis are good for the base stats at least.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

It would be a lot easier for players to figure out if things were calculated purely based on shield gen size/ship mass but that would let some ships hit absurd shield totals and others would have even worse shields and frontier doesn't want to try and balance that

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

KakerMix posted:

My man.
Buttkickers (and no-branded versions) are legit a computer accessory I never want to be without they are THAT good.

I know this is old chat but hellllll yeah my butt kicker is one of my most cherished possessions.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

YellerBill posted:

It would be a lot easier for players to figure out if things were calculated purely based on shield gen size/ship mass but that would let some ships hit absurd shield totals and others would have even worse shields and frontier doesn't want to try and balance that

It would also keep the Anaconda from being absolutely broken. Light as a feather, can hold a ridiculous amount of cargo, jump super far, equip insanely tiny shields, and masslock T9s. The Anaconda is obviously a dev favorite, and they just tweaked the invisible numbers to make it stupidly versatile.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

why is equipping an insanely tiny shield advantageous

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Cowcaster posted:

why is equipping an insanely tiny shield advantageous

More room for cargo.

Some ships benefit from having a shield cell bank in the largest slot and the shield generator in the second largest - gives you slightly more total MJs.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

How fast can you get an anaconda to go?

I haven’t unlocked a cutter or corvette yet but the dev love for the anaconda is obvious. It is the most versatile ship in the game and can be made to do nearly anything perfectly well. I still don’t understand the bare wires all over the bridge though. Just why.

Loky11
Dec 12, 2006

Pull on the new flesh like borrowed gloves and burn your fingers once again
Is it better to buy this direct or through steam?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Loky11 posted:

i don't see how it makes any difference

Loky11
Dec 12, 2006

Pull on the new flesh like borrowed gloves and burn your fingers once again

boar guy posted:

i don't see how it makes any difference

sometimes it does. Eve through steam is unironically more terrible than buying it direct.

still a terrible game though.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Loky11 posted:

Some devs get a higher cut when selling from their own webstore, but I don't think you as the end user will notice any difference

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Loky11 posted:

The biggest difference is that sometimes the authentication from Frontier can take a few hours or even a few days directly from their store. If you want to play ASAP, buy from steam.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Oh drat I had a sol permit all along. Idiot. These planets are remarkably well done. Anything really a must see in Sol? Reading these tourist beacons is kind of interesting.

Edit. I’d say get the tourism in while it’s still there I guess

Blind Rasputin fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Feb 14, 2018

Tsed
Jan 30, 2008

aaaaag drugs

Mike the TV posted:

The biggest difference is that sometimes the authentication from Frontier can take a few hours or even a few days directly from their store. If you want to play ASAP, buy from steam.

And for what it's worth, if you buy through the store, you can get steam keys regardless.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Blind Rasputin posted:

Oh drat I had a sol permit all along. Idiot. These planets are remarkably well done. Anything really a must see in Sol? Reading these tourist beacons is kind of interesting.

Edit. I’d say get the tourism in while it’s still there I guess

How quickly can one reasonably get a Sol permit if starting from scratch and how much will that gently caress with being able to contribute to the Diamond Frogs?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

DrNutt posted:

How quickly can one reasonably get a Sol permit if starting from scratch and how much will that gently caress with being able to contribute to the Diamond Frogs?

Like everything it's a long grind, but if you're starting from nothing you can do it while making mission money so it'd be a passive reward for you kind of. gently caress thinking of being able to contribute to DF, play the game then donate some time when you get bored or something fun is happening, it's not Eve Online.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Nice piece of fish posted:

Like everything it's a long grind, but if you're starting from nothing you can do it while making mission money so it'd be a passive reward for you kind of. gently caress thinking of being able to contribute to DF, play the game then donate some time when you get bored or something fun is happening, it's not Eve Online.

:shrug: Eh they been good to me so far, learning a lot of poo poo the game hides from you plus meta gaming gives a little more weight to figuring out what to do. But if it's not that big of a deal I think I want to bust rear end to cruise by Uranus.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Ask not what you can do for the frogs - ask what the frogs can do for you!

The most helpful thing you can do is to have fun, be cool and enjoy yourself. Our faction is just a way to add meaning to existing systems (missions and the background sim and stuff) but it’s by no means all we do 24/7.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Yeah find a good system with lots of fed missions and just run them. Stacking passenger missions is still probably the easiest. Just make sure you’re accepting missions with the fed symbol next to the missions giver.

Sol is cool so far but you really need to want to role play to get max enjoyment out of it because otherwise it’s quite similar to most other systems, just a little more hand curated.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

i just started playing the game a few days ago (i figure i'll check out diamond frogs once i get my bearings), so this thargoid thing is new to me. i just looked up a couple articles from last fall about players finding them, but are they really wrecking poo poo up now? like, can they actually destroy the system itself, or just the players/stations in the system?

i definitely wanted to swing by sol at some point just to see, but i am nowhere near getting the sol permit (plus i didn't even know it existed until this page :v:)

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Do passenger rescue missions still give out a lot of of modular terminals?

Mostly because gently caress Qwent.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

iospace posted:

Just finding one of the "grind imperial/federal navy rank" places where you take 20 data transfer missions at a time from A to B will leave you drowning in that sort of material.

Plus, you get to do two grinds at once.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

iospace posted:

I got my 25 in about an hours worth of passenger missions a few weeks back.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

CaptainViolence posted:

i just started playing the game a few days ago (i figure i'll check out diamond frogs once i get my bearings), so this thargoid thing is new to me. i just looked up a couple articles from last fall about players finding them, but are they really wrecking poo poo up now? like, can they actually destroy the system itself, or just the players/stations in the system?

i definitely wanted to swing by sol at some point just to see, but i am nowhere near getting the sol permit (plus i didn't even know it existed until this page :v:)

So Thargoids can 'attack' two stations at a time which puts them into a 'damaged' state which offers special rescue missions for evacuating the populace from the burning wreck. This attack cannot be blocked or seen and just happens. Whenever two new stations are chosen to be attacked the first two enter 'repair' state which requires players to dump obscene amounts of building materials into the structure to eventual bring it back to being repaired. Even the most popular station to be attacked at Obsidian Orbital hasn't gotten close to being fully repaired so we have no idea what happens after that.

iospace posted:

The rescue missions are the best place in the game to get Mod Terminals and many other rare crafting components because all the passengers are non-vip and go to the same nearby spot. So yeah they're still good.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Feb 15, 2018

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

It’s basically the devs driving the thargoid story themselves by choosing which stations become damaged every week. There’s no background simulation at play or anything else. I’m assuming once thargoids hit the bubble, and with the Beyond update bringing thargoid scouts and the chieftan, we may get a semblance of an actual civilization-scale war story here.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I'll be well on my way to Sgr A* by that point :v:

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

ohhhhhhh, that all makes sense. thanks! it is surprisingly difficult to tell what's mechanics and what's lore just from reading old kotaku articles.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

So like the day after I started I flew into Sol, docked at Abraham Lincoln station to buy some stuff, and flew around for a bit before returning to scanning rocks for cash.

I have no idea why, but I can apparently get into Sol already.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Warbadger posted:

So like the day after I started I flew into Sol, docked at Abraham Lincoln station to buy some stuff, and flew around for a bit before returning to scanning rocks for cash.

I have no idea why, but I can apparently get into Sol already.

I have the Sol permit because I bought back in closed beta. If you bought it recently, dunno!

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

iospace posted:

Have VY Canis Majoris, biggest in the game:

I noticed this wasn't too far outside the bubble so I checked it out

It really fucks with your sense of scale. Here I am shortly after jumping in, and everything looks normal until you check the speed. I was about 10k LS away.

Once you get ~4000 LS away, it's really weird because you can't go around it. You're supercruising tangent to it but there's just no movement and it appears as though you're stopped.

Your sense of scale just gets totally hosed.

Any other cool sights to see that aren't too far outside the bubble? I think Sirius might be next on my list.

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Feb 15, 2018

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

CornHolio posted:

I noticed this wasn't too far outside the bubble so I checked it out

It really fucks with your sense of scale. Here I am shortly after jumping in, and everything looks normal until you check the speed. I was about 10k LS away.

Once you get ~4000 LS away, it's really weird because you can't go around it. You're supercruising tangent to it but there's just no movement and if appears as though you're stopped.

Your sense of scale just gets totally hosed.

Any other cool sights to see that aren't too far outside the bubble? I think Sirius might be next on my list.

I'd say the Crab Nebula and Pulsar, it'll get your 5k LY out of the bubble for the Palin unlock at the same time, so you can double up on it if you plan on engineering down the line. Sirius requires an unlock but if you dump 10m worth of exploration data on the controlling faction you can get it easily. Eta Carinae isn't too far out (relatively, it's around 7.7k LY from Sol) either if you want to see one of the most massive stars in current existence. Beta Hydrae is very close to the bubble and is (I think) the closest black hole to it. There's also PSR J0737-3039A and PSR J0737-3039B, two neutron star systems that in real life were the first binary pulsars to be discovered (if you do go to that, PSR J0737-3039B's planets all have metal rich moons, so scan those).

Sadly T Tauri (the system, not the star type) doesn't have a T Tauri star :smith: (though that could be handwaved as "Oh, it actually achieved man sequence ignition since we first observed it and the 3300s").

Also, if you do plan on doing Crab, go through the California Nebula, there's a station there you can use as a waypoint, and it'll avoid all the permit locked systems in the Orion Nebula area.

Obviously there's the deep space ones, like the Great Annihilator, which is the biggest black hole outside of Sagittarius A*; LGM-1, the first pulsar ever to be discovered; the aforementioned Sagittarius A*, the center of the galaxy; or Colonia, the first major human settlement way outside of the bubble.

Or if you're truly space mad you can make your way to Beagle Point.

iospace fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Feb 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Sol at ~12k ls:

VY CM at ~12k ls:

• Locked thread