Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Tomn posted:

Yeah, I recall that one of the big advantages of the Roman legion over their classical adversaries wasn't that they were particularly more disciplined or better at fighting, but because their formations were flexible and their lower-level commanders were trained to look for opportunities and exploit them on their own initiative.

To be fair we mostly hear this from the Romans. Because they won in the end. If a Carthaginian junior officer did the same at say Trebia we wouldn't know about it. Roman accounts only care about the Big Bogeyman himself and we have no records from the other side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think there's really two stages of advancement that are probably more related to logistical limitations. There's the point where most of the effort of military training and command expertise is just focused on making sure all the soldiers actually get out to the battlefield and do their best not to run away at the first sign of trouble, which is more of an issue for armies that aren't professional full-time soldiers.

Then after that, there's the stage where armies will not only not just run away, they're capable of actually following orders, and at that point, the army starts becoming capable of more advanced actions than a single commander could either command or even fully conceive from his limited viewpoint. At that point, it becomes a good idea to have more officers with their own understandings of strategy, and the soldiers themselves steadily get trained for more and more advanced action that would probably set them apart from skeleton drones.

Of course, I'm thinking of all of this from a greek/roman large blocks of infantry that the main accomplishment is just keeping them organized perspective. I think cavalry generally tended to always be more towards the personal valor and judgement end of the spectrum. I bet a necromancer trying to control a bunch of horse archers would get easily confused and probably keep running into things.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Journey to Spergton: what arbitrary mash of numbers is best for expressing the haulage ability of WW2 transports?

A C-47 has a payload maximum of 2700 kg, a Max weight on Takeoff of 14,061 kg, and a maximum loaded range of 2575 km.

Under scheme A: (2700 kg / 14,061 kg) * 2575 km = a "haulage ratio" (acronym suggestions welcome) of 494.

A Ju 52 (using max values) (1800 kg / 9210 kg) * 950 = 186

A Ju 290 (5000 kg/44,970) * 6150 = 684

A Me 323 (11,000/43,000) * 1095 = 280

An alternative method would be to just take payload capacity and divide by range.

Scheme B:

C-47: 2700 / 2575 = 1.05
Ju 52: 1800/ 950 = 1.89
Ju 290 = 0.81
Me 323 = 10.05

B is simpler, and produces a nice kg/km figure. A produces a nice round number instead of a decimal, and IMO tracks what I was expecting a bit better, IE less efficient transports get lower numbers than more efficient ones, which if you are making a numerical mashup to arbitrarily score transports is probably more useful. The C-47 is the standard, so making that work compared is probably more important.

I answered my own question!

so lonely

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Nebakenezzer posted:

Journey to Spergton: what arbitrary mash of numbers is best for expressing the haulage ability of WW2 transports?

A C-47 has a payload maximum of 2700 kg, a Max weight on Takeoff of 14,061 kg, and a maximum loaded range of 2575 km.

Under scheme A: (2700 kg / 14,061 kg) * 2575 km = a "haulage ratio" (acronym suggestions welcome) of 494.

A Ju 52 (using max values) (1800 kg / 9210 kg) * 950 = 186

A Ju 290 (5000 kg/44,970) * 6150 = 684

A Me 323 (11,000/43,000) * 1095 = 280

An alternative method would be to just take payload capacity and divide by range.

Scheme B:

C-47: 2700 / 2575 = 1.05
Ju 52: 1800/ 950 = 1.89
Ju 290 = 0.81
Me 323 = 10.05

B is simpler, and produces a nice kg/km figure. A produces a nice round number instead of a decimal, and IMO tracks what I was expecting a bit better, IE less efficient transports get lower numbers than more efficient ones, which if you are making a numerical mashup to arbitrarily score transports is probably more useful. The C-47 is the standard, so making that work compared is probably more important.

I answered my own question!

so lonely

What's the goal of your metric here?

Are you trying to express how much work a given transport can do? If so then (work) = (weight) * (distance) is the classic physics formula, so why not use that? It gives you final units of kg-km, and values both range and payload.

Scheme A is close to that, but why do you care about takeoff weight? I can see an argument for leaving it the way you wrote it since it punishes overall weight, which could be a proxy for fuel efficiency. Also in Scheme A, the (kg/kg) units in the first half of the equation cancel out, so your final unit is just km which doesn't make much sense.

Your Scheme B numbers don't make sense since it punishes range. For example the Ju 290 with an insane range of 6000km gets <1/10 of the score of the Me 323. Even if the Me 323 has twice the payload that's ridiculous.

Finally, if you're worried that the actual number the equation spits out is hard to interpret, you can either multiply/divide the whole equation by 100 to get the numbers to align, or if you want to use the C-47 as a baseline, divide all the outputs by the C-47 score. This also has an advantage of canceling out all of the units, so your final number is a dimensionless ratio.

Work Ratio = [(Payload) * (Range)] / [C-47 score]

Using your numbers, I get

C-47: [2700 * 2575] / [7million] = 1
Ju 52: [1800 * 950] / [7million] = .24
Ju 290: [5000 * 6150] / [7million] = 4.39
Me 323: [11,000 * 1095] / [7million] = .15

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Nebakenezzer posted:

(acronym suggestions welcome)

I nominate Endurance-Payload Efficiency Explanatory Number, so you can measure your EPEEN.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

13th KRRC War Diary, 14-19th Jan 1917 posted:

Training started. As per programme of training attached.

And... there is no programme of training attached.

As compensation, have a report on the interrogation of one of the prisoners taken in the trench raid last week, taken from the divisional war diary

13th KRRC War Diary, 20th Jan 1917 posted:

Tha Battalion held a Memorial Service conducted by Capt. Davies, C.F. for the Officers and men who fell in the last tour in the trenches.

(Been quite thankful for a bit of a break with the updates!)

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

What's the goal of your metric here?

Just to create a number for graphing purposes of each transport's (lol) EPEEN. Thanks for the feedback. It was originally suggested to me by bewbies, so we'll see what he thinks, but your final scheme looks nice, especially where we compare it to the C-47.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Nebakenezzer posted:

Just to create a number for graphing purposes of each transport's (lol) EPEEN. Thanks for the feedback. It was originally suggested to me by bewbies, so we'll see what he thinks, but your final scheme looks nice, especially where we compare it to the C-47.

For the C-47 comparison (where everything normalized to it), you might also consider Payload-Endurance Normalized Indicator Statistic.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I think that setup looks great, I would just add an operational readiness coefficient to it. You're probably going to have to estimate or make up numbers for most of the planes but we certainly have anecdotal records that indicate general reliability and from that you can extrapolate an OR rate.

An example: a plane hauling 100k pounds 5000 miles that is only available 5% of the time is probably a less good cargo plane then one that can only haul 10,000 pounds 5000 miles but can fly 75% of the time.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

bewbies posted:

I think that setup looks great, I would just add an operational readiness coefficient to it. You're probably going to have to estimate or make up numbers for most of the planes but we certainly have anecdotal records that indicate general reliability and from that you can extrapolate an OR rate.

An example: a plane hauling 100k pounds 5000 miles that is only available 5% of the time is probably a less good cargo plane then one that can only haul 10,000 pounds 5000 miles but can fly 75% of the time.

It's a good idea - though a really difficult one. I'm sure those statistics exist, but we're talking primary documents here. If Jobbo_Fett wants to appear with a source, than he is welcome to, but it's beyond what I have access to right now.

For the record, the Ju 52 was apparently very reliable.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I highly doubt I have anything that mentions a hard statistic for that :shrug:

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

So I’m just starting to read up on the 30 Years’ War— never learned much about it in my history classes in high school, and the German history course I took in undergrad glossed over most of the details. I’m trying to distinguish Wallenstein, Tilly, and Pappenheim from each other, would I be correct in saying that it was Wallenstein’s undefeated streak that makes him great? The source I have been reading (so far) seems to imply that he wasn’t that much more inspirational than any of the other imperial warlords.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cnidario posted:

So I’m just starting to read up on the 30 Years’ War— never learned much about it in my history classes in high school, and the German history course I took in undergrad glossed over most of the details. I’m trying to distinguish Wallenstein, Tilly, and Pappenheim from each other, would I be correct in saying that it was Wallenstein’s undefeated streak that makes him great? The source I have been reading (so far) seems to imply that he wasn’t that much more inspirational than any of the other imperial warlords.
it's his logistical acumen and the cloud of fuckery surrounding the events that lead up to his death. The one with the undefeated streak is Tilly (Extremely Old And Incredibly Catholic). The one with the :horse: is Pappenheim--he was also the inspirational one, Wallenstein had all the charisma of a death mask.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jan 21, 2018

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Nebakenezzer posted:

It's a good idea - though a really difficult one. I'm sure those statistics exist, but we're talking primary documents here. If Jobbo_Fett wants to appear with a source, than he is welcome to, but it's beyond what I have access to right now.

For the record, the Ju 52 was apparently very reliable.

Another option is instead of trying to ram every possible number into one metric, you could list multiple metrics for each. Especially with something like reliability where data is going to be hard to get you could just say Low, Medium, or High.

Another maybe useful number would be fuel efficiency. Can you get kg/hour with a full load information for these planes?

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Super late but I just want to thank you for your response. Sounds like the Russian Revolution was, to put it simply, very messy both politically and materially.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Xiahou Dun posted:

Marry me.

I love every bit of this post.

mods please change my name to Vampire Wallenstein

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

unwantedplatypus posted:

Super late but I just want to thank you for your response. Sounds like the Russian Revolution was, to put it simply, very messy both politically and materially.

teaching a history of it this semester and i'm debating making the students draw a flow chart or something on the test. i'm not evil so i won't, but this is the perfect opportunity to teach "the things that happen aren't necessarily the things that the protagonists meant to happen or could foresee"

which many adults still don't get, so maybe i'll be useful for once

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I had a dream where fighter aircraft were being being scrambled from an airbase located in the mountains using CATOBAR (sans the bar, or at least i didnt see it) style assistance. Has any such creature ever existed? I'm pretty sure the Swiss Air Force uses mountain hangars for maintenance and stuff but nothing quite like that.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Another option is instead of trying to ram every possible number into one metric, you could list multiple metrics for each. Especially with something like reliability where data is going to be hard to get you could just say Low, Medium, or High.

Another maybe useful number would be fuel efficiency. Can you get kg/hour with a full load information for these planes?

Sadly, no. I'm sure that information exists somewhere, (or at least for most of them) but that's once again on the primary side of things.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Milo and POTUS posted:

I had a dream where fighter aircraft were being being scrambled from an airbase located in the mountains using CATOBAR (sans the bar, or at least i didnt see it) style assistance. Has any such creature ever existed? I'm pretty sure the Swiss Air Force uses mountain hangars for maintenance and stuff but nothing quite like that.

Nope. Mountain hangars are definitely a thing, but actual airfields using that kind of assistance? No. It's an expensive, maintenance-intensive piece system (and other systems like it are comparable) that would be much more trouble than it's worth on a ground installation. Proper airfields also tend to be made with the ability to serve large transport and bomber aircraft, significantly larger than carriers can field, which further makes assisted takeoff systems like that unnecessary.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
CATOBAR is also extremely stressful on the airframes, for obvious reasons. The planes have to be designed with that in mind, you can't just toss an F-16 out a CATOBAR and expect it to last any significant length of time.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
meme

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Don Gato posted:

CATOBAR is also extremely stressful on the airframes, for obvious reasons. The planes have to be designed with that in mind, you can't just toss an F-16 out a CATOBAR and expect it to last any significant length of time.

Listen buddy in dreamland the laws of physics take a back seat to cool factor

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

So is the Xenomorph Queen :eng101:

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

There's the zero length takeoff system for the starfighter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCbegiIhLGg&t=150s

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jan 21, 2018

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

HEY GUNS posted:

daniel day-lewis as wallenstein
ron perlman as pappenheim (or some other person with a face like that who is a little younger)
liam neeson as gustavus adolphus? just get him to bulk up some
but who, who will play tilly

Christoph Waltz as Wallenstein
Michelle Rodriguez as Pappenheim
Morgan Freeman as the Emperor
Gary busey as Gustavus Adolphus
Directed by Michael Bay.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Wasn't there posted in this thread or one of the earlier iterations a picture of some type of horse-drawn personnel carrier that looked like a wheeled church pew with infantry on it. Or was this another of my fever dreams.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

13th KRRC War Diary, 21st Jan 1917 posted:

The day was at the disposal of the Company Commanders and the Battalion cleaned up for the inspection. Baths were allotted to the Battalion and Companies marched to MALHOVE about 1 K. due north ARQUES where clean clothing was issued.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Milo and POTUS posted:

Wasn't there posted in this thread or one of the earlier iterations a picture of some type of horse-drawn personnel carrier that looked like a wheeled church pew with infantry on it. Or was this another of my fever dreams.

Yes, and I can even remember what the picture looked like, but I just can't find the magic combination of search terms to bring it up on Google images.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

GotLag posted:

Yes, and I can even remember what the picture looked like, but I just can't find the magic combination of search terms to bring it up on Google images.

We can be crazy together

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
When you say "horse-drawn wooden personnel carrier" the first thing that pops to mind are Hussite war wagons, but I dunno if those look much like pews.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I found it and posted it because I found it hilarious. And slightly saddened they never rolled it out because pre 1850 soldiers NEED to be dropped off to combat in these things.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

SeanBeansShako posted:

I found it and posted it because I found it hilarious. And slightly saddened they never rolled it out because pre 1850 soldiers NEED to be dropped off to combat in these things.

Sounds like the troop transport from The Difference Engine, didn't realize that was based on a real thing.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Could you people, ya know, repost it?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Gun Jesus eats soup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5993lPFEwaE

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
I couldn't find it, but I did find this contraption

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Just making me sad that i never got to play the good Warhammer naval game

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Do the windmills turn the water wheels, or are they both providing power for something happening inside of the castleboat?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Victor Hutchinson's POW Diary

Saturday 20th January, 1945

Camp all agog with the startling news of Russian advance. Tonight the German report that ‘Joe’ is about 30km N.E. of Breslau. Kempen has been taken which is 120mls East of us. It would appear that this war is rapidly drawing to a close and likely to finish in a spectacular manner. More power to ‘Joe’s’ elbow.

As I lie in my ‘pit’ writing this I can see the weekly ‘ZiZ’ pudding (what?) which has just been cooked and looks like a golden dream. It is always eaten on Sunday, which makes the mess pine for that day.

Food situation at the moment is frugal and the smell of cooking really stimulates the digestive juices to rumble and squeak in the stomach. We have had no fresh vegetables for the past four weeks apart from an occasional issue of dried peas. We sometimes obtain a saucer of sauerkraut (pickled cabbage) which if nothing else it helps fill the gaping void. I know of nothing more affective to raise wind.

Goons have modified their recent order about keeping shutters and windows closed all night. We can have them open until an air raid warning then they are shut. Also the guard must warn occupants before shooting thro’ the window.

Just made a bet with Jimmy the lower bet that we will still be here this time next week. The stake one square of ‘D’ bar. I wonder what the next week will bring-----

Sunday 21st January, 1945

On ‘appel’ this morning saw a car containing refugees from Breslau are slowly making for Sagan. Subsequently saw many vehicles carrying many refugees. The neighbouring drome has been very busy today, aircraft of all descriptions loading and taking off.

Russian drive appears to be turning north in an effort to cut off E. Prussia. Tilsit reported taken today. The Germans realise that they are in a critical position, but it would appear that they are still resolved to fight. The camp awaits news hungrily and rumours are bandied about all over the compound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Don Gato posted:

Sounds like the troop transport from The Difference Engine, didn't realize that was based on a real thing.

I don't think it ever got past the prototype stage if it was a thing. All I've ever seen of it is that one Victorian art picture.