Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Rooreelooo posted:

People keep on saying that the funniest part of the whole caucasian issue was the outrageously livid response from tumblr, but I haven't actually seen much of that. I follow quite a few homestuck blogs because I enjoy the speculation, and I gotta say that most people have reacted in a way no different to that of this thread - a whole 'why hussie, this was unnecessary and just brings back a stupid debate that nobody wants rehashed' kinda vibe. If people are supposed to be blowing gaskets and flipping lids left right and centre, I'm just not seeing it.

At this point it just seems like everyone is laughing at the tumblr boogieman without any reason.

Same. I haven't seen anyone on tumblr say anything particularly outrageous about it at all. Goons just have a weird habit of finding internet scape-groups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
Yeah, I don't really think its funny because "Oh those tumblrs will be mad now!" I just can't help but laugh at the sheer loving absurdity of this whole thing.

Abelian Grape posted:

I know we've been told that tricksters are canonically white, but it seems to me that going back on that and making Trickster Jake black is exactly the sort of thing Hussie would do. Just to see what happens.

This would be the most hilarious thing.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

black metal hugbox posted:

It's you

you are all the joke.

I'm someone who's been an archive reader until Jane was tearing obelisks down for grist. I don't follow any kind of fandom other than this very thread. As soon as I saw these updates this morning, my first response was "I can't wait to see how this thread tears itself apart". It's not just tumbler that will try to destroy itself to see who did or did not get the joke.

Saying something as smug as that, I know what I'm about to say is ironic. But I thought the joke's punchline wasn't "caucasian", but the punchline is "Jake is overreacting to something that makes no difference whatsoever". Especially since it shows a swatch of skin tones, it just means that she's only one level of caucasian (god I hate that word), she could be another level of white or whatever race for those people who really care. And wasn't even really aware it was some big thing until that sticker sheet came out for Kickstarter.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!
Yeah, this is all pretty exasperating on Hussie's part, but I've actually seen quite a few people on tumblr making jokes. Eg, "Can't go to school today, feeling a little Caucasian," or "Mom, Dad.... I'm Caucasian."

Also

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

H.P. Shivcraft posted:

Yeah, this is all pretty exasperating on Hussie's part, but I've actually seen quite a few people on tumblr making jokes. Eg, "Can't go to school today, feeling a little Caucasian," or "Mom, Dad.... I'm Caucasian."

Also

What the christ is wrong with your font?

Madtrixr
Nov 27, 2010

IUG posted:

I'm someone who's been an archive reader until Jane was tearing obelisks down for grist. I don't follow any kind of fandom other than this very thread. As soon as I saw these updates this morning, my first response was "I can't wait to see how this thread tears itself apart". It's not just tumbler that will try to destroy itself to see who did or did not get the joke.

Saying something as smug as that, I know what I'm about to say is ironic. But I thought the joke's punchline wasn't "caucasian", but the punchline is "Jake is overreacting to something that makes no difference whatsoever". Especially since it shows a swatch of skin tones, it just means that she's only one level of caucasian (god I hate that word), she could be another level of white or whatever race for those people who really care. And wasn't even really aware it was some big thing until that sticker sheet came out for Kickstarter.

Yeah for once I don't think he's taking shots at Tumblr SJW's. And the reason why everyone seems to be preemptively decrying their reactions is because they have flipped their poo poo over things more minor than this in the past, but this thing, happening now, is ridiculous because there's barely any of said rage in the update tags and instead its a lot of people calling out sjw's or saying both sides are dumb.

Madtrixr fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jan 12, 2013

Commissar Budgie
Aug 10, 2011

I am a Commissar. I am empowered to deliver justice wherever I see it lacking. I am empowered to punish cowardice. I am granted the gift of total authority to judge, in the name of the Emperor, on the field of combat.
What an unforeseen turn of events given Hussie's delicate handle of race in the past!

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

Call Now posted:

What the christ is wrong with your font?

Not mine, someone on tumblr who took the screencap. They probably set their browser to display webpages like that.

Commissar Budgie posted:

Hussie's delicate handle of race in the past!

There are always versions of ourselves online that we regret, I think, I genuinely hope Hussie's grown beyond these comics despite what he's done in Homestuck but goddammit if he hadn't for some bewildering reason labeled this one the way he did it would be an excellent cartoon.

H.P. Shivcraft fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jan 12, 2013

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Good God, just look at the last few pages of this thread. You're the joke, it's you! :sbahj:

Also, can't wait for Jake to go trickster just to see what his trickster mode skin color is and how you morons make a hash of it. Maybe blue? :allears:

EDIT: Oh, and Jake is losing his glasses, more fuel for the Jake = LE speculation?

AVeryLargeRadish fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jan 12, 2013

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

I can't wait to see the reactions of the B1 kids when they arrive in a session full of Trickster Mode players. John will really need to step up his game if he doesn't want to get out-prankstered as soon as he gets there.

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003

H.P. Shivcraft posted:

There are always versions of ourselves online that we regret, I think, I genuinely hope Hussie's grown beyond these comics despite what he's done in Homestuck but goddammit if he hadn't for some bewildering reason labeled this one the way he did it would be an excellent cartoon.

Apparently I'm racially insensitive? I think that comic is fine. I think the homestuck update was kind of funny.

I don't think there's anything especacially childish about this stuff. If Hussie's level of race discussion makes some people uncomfortable, I can only imagine how they'd react to a Chris Rock or Richard Pryor stand-up routine.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Am I the only one who saw Trickster Mode as more of a whimsical palette swap meant to mirror GrimDark Mode more than any sort of act of racial nefariousness or insensitivity on Hussie's part? I mean the blue swirls and pink hair and the off color outlines, that's not Caucasian, that's... bubblegum. If Hussie wanted to make a super colorful character, it's inevitable he'd have to tread on these familiar eggshells. Of course, Hussie is a wheedler by nature I think, but he's not going to crane his neck out of his hole and nip with his beak at the collective's sweaty love handles unless he hears that familiar whine of hundreds of nerds complaining about whatever minor thing he did this time.

Amorphous Abode fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jan 12, 2013

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
The I FEEL SO CAUCASIAN thing is dumb simply because it doesn't make any goddamn sense if you're not aware of the Tumblr people he's sniping at. Otherwise this is all hilarious.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Captain Oblivious posted:

The I FEEL SO CAUCASIAN thing is dumb simply because it doesn't make any goddamn sense if you're not aware of the Tumblr people he's sniping at. Otherwise this is all hilarious.

Eh, if you're not aware of the Tumblr craziness (I was only tangentially aware of it), then the joke is that we actually never knew what race any of these characters were, but Jade is apparently not normally caucasian. It's not particularly great as a joke, but it's not any reason to get outraged unless you're some kind of reactionary crazy-person.

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003

The I FEEL SO CAUCASIAN thing is dumb simply because it doesn't make any goddamn sense if you're not aware of the Tumblr people he's sniping at.

C'mon, like Homestuck never had an absurd or non-sequiter line in it before?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

This is stupid.

That's the joke.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

H.P. Shivcraft posted:

Not mine, someone on tumblr who took the screencap. They probably set their browser to display webpages like that.

I think the odd choice of labelling is part of the humour.
Levels and levels of weird, Hussie brand humour.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

Emacs Headroom posted:

Apparently I'm racially insensitive? I think that comic is fine.

The thing about that comic is "Negro Vote," which is totally fine if Hussie's political cartoon was written in and critiquing, like, the 1960s? Words matter, and as it is, it's a funny cartoon that's a bit wonky because he obviously wasn't thinking, "Hmmm, what are the appropriate terms to use when addressing or speaking about this group of people?"

quote:

I don't think there's anything especacially childish about this stuff. If Hussie's level of race discussion makes some people uncomfortable, I can only imagine how they'd react to a Chris Rock or Richard Pryor stand-up routine.

It makes a difference that those are black men and Hussie is a white man. But this is not the place for that discussion.

This is a place for kids and fun.

So let's consider that not only is Jake glowing and falling over a cliff but his eyes popped off. How far might the the callback extend?

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
Yea I dunno. I think the SJW jabs were funnier when they were just made in the context of the Beforus trolls, because that was their whole characters. This just seems so out of nowhere. Kankri was a clever satire, this is just kinda childish.

OHWELL

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Dominic White posted:

Eh, if you're not aware of the Tumblr craziness (I was only tangentially aware of it), then the joke is that we actually never knew what race any of these characters were, but Jade is apparently not normally caucasian. It's not particularly great as a joke, but it's not any reason to get outraged unless you're some kind of reactionary crazy-person.

I'm white, and when I do something especially dorky I'll say "I am the whitest person alive right now". Granted, that usually means it's self-deprecating, but it's not that weird of a line.

Example, "They announced Lego Marvel Super Heroes and Deadpool is a character. I got so excited about it because I'm a nerdy white guy".

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.
I think Jake's "Nooooo!" in response to Caucasian makes it really obvious this is a dumb snipe to SJWs on Tumblr rather than a general Homestuck non-sequitur. Like he's saying "Nooo, not caucasian! How awful it is that Jane has turned caucasian!" as a parody of the three people this would annoy. A straight-up "Aaaargh!" as in "Aaaargh this is terrifying I have no idea what is happening!" would have felt less jarring and out-of-place.

Basically, I think my feelings on this can be best summed up by:

Hussie posted:

Do you have any idea how much power I wield over you?? To what extent I can RUIN the poo poo you step in with that squeaky clean sunday loafer you use to stomp that bookmark and stamp that F5 key, day goddamn in and day loving out??? Do you possess even the most infinitesimal kernel of cognizance for the degree to which I can make the shorn, shivering weasel that is the totem spirit representing your wretched fascination with this website squeal in heartrending remorse????

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

For those worried about this lacking any clear context later on, remember how Huss reverse engineered PantsKat into the story.
That joke started off from outside the main comic but got working in so it would make sense to archival readers.

Howveer wise it is for Hussie to be doing this I don't doubt he'll give it some needed context.

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003

H.P. Shivcraft posted:

The thing about that comic is "Negro Vote," which is totally fine if Hussie's political cartoon was written in and critiquing, like, the 1960s? Words matter, and as it is, it's a funny cartoon that's a bit wonky because he obviously wasn't thinking, "Hmmm, what are the appropriate terms to use when addressing or speaking about this group of people?"

It makes a difference that those are black men and Hussie is a white man. But this is not the place for that discussion.

This is a place for kids and fun.

That's kind of a sneaky way to get the last word in, but sure. Since my whole point is that dwelling on the racial arguments in the context of Homestuck is pretty dumb, let's not dwell on race in the context of Homestuck.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Dominic White posted:

Right. You're agreeing with me in a roundabout fashion, I never said it was worth getting outraged over, only that it's dumb (aka, not a particularly great joke).

Kankri was a good swipe at SJWs and was funny. This is just kind of a hockeyhorsebicycles lol nonsequitur.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

To throw another needless level of meta onto this discussion, my least favourite aspect of this update are the people in this thread and elsewhere who take the opportunity to loudly proclaim how everyone is the butt of the joke but them, that everyone's a moron who doesn't get it, and how they're enjoying themselves so much watching all these lesser plebs running around slapping each other. Y'know, regardless of whether there's actually much of that going on. No one cares about your smug aggrandizing or imagined schadenfreude.

As for the update itself, yeah, not the best way to do it and is going to feel really weird and disconnected for archive readers. Hussie probably should've let it slide and maybe made a more clever joke about it later.

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.
Hey guys.

Maybe.

Maybe!

He's going somewhere with this.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

SJWs aside, I think I finally pinned down why the combination of joy and insanity creeps me out. Someone mentioned the Joker, but it's not quite that. It's Judge Doom from Who Framed Roger Rabbit. I can't help picturing Trickster Jane with a really high-pitched voice now...

Remember me, Dirk? When I juju'd your boyfriend, I talked just like this!

SNOOP CATTE
Oct 14, 2012

Take that, you stupid cat!
Jane is our new villain. White people are history's bad guys and the Big Man is reflecting that.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I thought it was funny and then proceeded to not give a poo poo about greater racial implications.

Pentachronic Snail
Nov 2, 2011
Is this what usually happens in this thread? Something pretty mundane happens and everyone flips a poo poo and a half where almost every post is a repeat of a prior one?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

NooooooooohhhhhhhYYYYYYYYESSS!

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Fargo Fukes posted:

I think Jake's "Nooooo!" in response to Caucasian makes it really obvious this is a dumb snipe to SJWs on Tumblr rather than a general Homestuck non-sequitur. Like he's saying "Nooo, not caucasian! How awful it is that Jane has turned caucasian!" as a parody of the three people this would annoy. A straight-up "Aaaargh!" as in "Aaaargh this is terrifying I have no idea what is happening!" would have felt less jarring and out-of-place.
Well, like I said earlier, looking at this apart from the "dumb tumblr snipe" angle, maybe Jake is so messed up in the head that he always saw Jane as a blue girl and now that she's changed and explicitly saying she isn't, it's completely shattered his view of her (hence the "noooooooooooo"). Yeah I know he's been around her before but we're talking about the guy who literally dreams up sentient images of OTHER PEOPLE, so who knows what the world looks like to him! It wouldn't be the first time someone has created an idealized version of their surroundings to the point where it covers up the reality either (John/Rose's room etc).

Not saying that this was the right way to make a joke, just that maybe the combination of being able to take a potshot at tumblr combined with the above caused him to decide to go in the direction he did. Maybe we'll hear more about it? Maybe we won't. I'm kind of hoping for the latter because this is all a little silly on both sides.

Honestly with how weird Jake is to begin with I'm kind of scared to see what his Trickster version is like.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

cathead posted:

Well, like I said earlier, looking at this apart from the "dumb tumblr snipe" angle, maybe Jake is so messed up in the head that he always saw Jane as a blue girl and now that she's changed and explicitly saying she isn't, it's completely shattered his view of her (hence the "noooooooooooo"). Yeah I know he's been around her before but we're talking about the guy who literally dreams up sentient images of OTHER PEOPLE, so who knows what the world looks like to him! It wouldn't be the first time someone has created an idealized version of their surroundings to the point where it covers up the reality either (John/Rose's room etc).

Not saying that this was the right way to make a joke, just that maybe the combination of being able to take a potshot at tumblr combined with the above caused him to decide to go in the direction he did. Maybe we'll hear more about it? Maybe we won't. I'm kind of hoping for the latter because this is all a little silly on both sides.

Honestly with how weird Jake is to begin with I'm kind of scared to see what his Trickster version is like.

Plot twist: Trickster Jake is a perfectly normal, sensible human being.

Who can fly. But otherwise, he's normal.

Norton Ghostride
Apr 30, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I really hope all the upset people just stop reading this comic, go outside, and do everyone a favor.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

The most confusing thing to me is... he's not even being a tumblr hating dick like people here seem to be assuming/wishing. The closest thing to a negative reaction is, "Ugh, race again?" and that's possibly a more prevalent attitude here than tumblr itself. People are getting upset at the idea of him being a petty dick, but... what's actually dickish about this?

While I don't think Hussie was ever that serious about the a-racial thing, if anything he reinforced the idea of the kids being a-racial by making Jane transform from [something] to explicitly Caucasian.

So what's there to get offended about? What have people gotten offended about?

Trickster mode is a magical transformation that makes everything disturbingly silly. If anything it's a racially self-deprecating joke about white people being frivolous. I think it's fair to draw attention to the skin color, as the difference between Caucasian and actually white is part of what makes the transformation disturbing.

He's referencing a controversy, but the gag stands on its own. I laughed at least, without any understanding that it would be considered dickish.

Doug Rattman
Sep 10, 2011

Formerly known as Doug Rattman
Let's all just move on.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

SNOOP CATTE posted:

Jane is our new villain. White people are history's bad guys and the Big Man is reflecting that.

he wants that us all to keep it real about.............................

RACISM

voting third party
Sep 5, 2006
~

Pentachronic Snail posted:

Is this what usually happens in this thread? Something pretty mundane happens and everyone flips a poo poo and a half where almost every post is a repeat of a prior one?

This thread is usually the best place to discuss Homestuck except for this particular topic. Or when it descends into the depths of Vriskachat.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

Eiba posted:

So what's there to get offended about? What have people gotten offended about?

Trickster mode is a magical transformation that makes everything disturbingly silly. If anything it's a racially self-deprecating joke about white people being frivolous. I think it's fair to draw attention to the skin color, as the difference between Caucasian and actually white is part of what makes the transformation disturbing.

He's referencing a controversy, but the gag stands on its own. I laughed at least, without any understanding that it would be considered dickish.

I think this post adequately sums up many peoples problem's with this update.

quote:

The issue for a lot people seems to be less that Jane was made Caucasian and more that Hussie sees this as a viable way to get a laugh. Hussie likes to rattle cages and normally I’m all for that. Sometimes, it’s fun to rattle the cage of your fandom tiger. But, in this case, Hussie has walked into the cage wearing a coat of steak, started playing the kazoo with his butt by farting loudly into while yodeling in the most off tune way possible and tap danced on the tiger’s back, all for the sake of a cheap laugh. It’s weird and kind of disturbing, not really all that funny and you have to wonder about his mental state. And I really wish it wouldn’t make an impact, but it does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

That strikes me as a rather hyperbolic reaction.
I mean, really? "I feel Caucasian" is the most cage rattling thing?
Not the under aged alcoholism, the main villain having learning difficulties, the gratuitous murder of children, the creepy rapist guy, the creepy molester-esque Cueball head who suffocates his prisoners, Vriska's everything, saying that being unable to smell isn't a real disability? All those are nothing to compared to "I feel Caucasian!"?
No one seemed to mind HIC talking like a blaxploitation movie but this is a Thing?

I mean, I can see why it would rattle cages but no more so than a lot of other jokes Hussie has made.

If she flashed rainbows like in Mario would that be homophobic or pushing the homosexual subversive agenda onto children?