Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Hex builds trivialise the single player game when every bonfire gives you a 72-cast bandolier of Dark Orbs that stunlock most enemies but yeah I guess they're a pretty lousy stat investment for PvP.

Not sure whether a Black Phantom is an NPC or a human invader? Start chain casting Dark Orbs at them. If they just stand there and get stunlocked to death it's an NPC, if they dodge through them and bull rush you, welp, you're going to die and there's nothing you can do about it, sorry.

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Aug 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Mr Dog posted:

End game also gets you Forbidden Sun if you complete Navlaan's murdering spree (or if you complete the game and just get all the "proofs" he needs without harming a hair on any NPC's head. For a supreme sorceror who presumably has a huge amount of intelligence he's not very bright).
Well how exactly is he supposed to go check your work when he's locked in a magic closet?

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Nakar posted:

Well how exactly is he supposed to go check your work when he's locked in a magic closet?

Should have asked for their heads.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
"Bring me the severed head of the Emerald Herald"

I mean I get why they did it from a gameplay perspective (some people are uncomfortable with being a complete rear end in a top hat in a videogame, so give them a peaceful way to do the questline), but the in-game justification is still a bit silly.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Corpses fade into dust. Their items don't. :colbert:

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

ASK ME ABOUT MY OPINIONS ON CANCEL CULTURE
So I have a whole bunch of questions for a longer post but a few quick ones first:

Does magic weapon negate the fire on my fire longsword or does it stack?

Is there any advantage to wearing cloth armor as a sorcerer?
I spent much of my early lvl points going towards str/dex/vit so I could sword&shield through the early game.
But now my int/faith is quite high as well and I'm wondering if there isn't some reason why I shouldn't continue to wear heavy-ish armor as long as I can move around well in it. (understanding that there are some cloth items like hexer's hood that have specific benefits to casters)

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

Avian Pneumonia posted:

So I have a whole bunch of questions for a longer post but a few quick ones first:

Does magic weapon negate the fire on my fire longsword or does it stack?

Is there any advantage to wearing cloth armor as a sorcerer?
I spent much of my early lvl points going towards str/dex/vit so I could sword&shield through the early game.
But now my int/faith is quite high as well and I'm wondering if there isn't some reason why I shouldn't continue to wear heavy-ish armor as long as I can move around well in it. (understanding that there are some cloth items like hexer's hood that have specific benefits to casters)
I'm pretty sure weapon buff spells add flat damage and boost the matching damage on the weapon. So if you use magic weapon on a fire longsword, it would get a bit of magic damage tacked on and a % boost to all magic damage already there (which is none since it's fire).

Aside from giving bonuses like tiny boosts to casting speed or a few stat points/spell casts, wear whatever armor you like. Casters only tend to cloth/light armor because it's easier to dodge and roll in without the huge stat investment heavy armor requires, and since they're usually at range they don't need to tank heavy hits anyways.

The Sanctum Shield is amazing for a mixed casting build, so nice to have almost all my spells on one hand :swoon:

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

http://webmup.com/0KwGB

I didn't really know how to host this. But this is a proclick.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
Magic weapon stacks alongside the flame, yeah.

Cloth armor doesn't have any intrinsic value except for some specific ones (here's a full list). As long as you're under 70% equip burden, you're golden. Also, please note that the added defense from heavier armor is pretty negligible. Just play fashion souls!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

f#a# posted:

Just play fashion souls!

New thread title :frogon:

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

I am attempting a no death run, so that I can have an invisible spotted whip in NG+. I feel like that would be the most awesome thing to have as a blue sentinel.
I don't know what to go for besides that though. I was thinking maybe a lance? I don't know, what's the most annoying thing to deal with as an invader?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Fat_Cow posted:

http://webmup.com/0KwGB

I didn't really know how to host this. But this is a proclick.

That's fantastic, but where the hell are they fighting?

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Inspector_666 posted:

That's fantastic, but where the hell are they fighting?
That looks like the lower bonfire room in Tseldora. Not sure what's up with those red rocks, though.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Regarding Pyromancies: Fire Whip is also really good in PVP. People tend to roll forward straight into it, and it has some tracking so even if they roll a little sideways it will work.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Exodee posted:

That looks like the lower bonfire room in Tseldora. Not sure what's up with those red rocks, though.

I assumed it was somewhere in Brightstone, given the right angles and holes in the ceiling, but yeah, the red rocks threw me.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Urgh.

The Vendrick fight is so annoying, and this is with all five Giant Souls (ascetic'ed the Black Gulch giants for the fifth one) and a character that can even tank an overhead smash from him and survive with 5% health if not hollowed. It's a long, extremely repetitive fight that demands absolute perfection, in that you can be 95% effective at dodging his horizontal swipe and that's still not good enough; if one of those horizontal swipes hits, then chances are you're staggered and unable to dodge the second follow-up swipe, which will finish you off if the first one didn't one-shot you. You have like three frames after he starts the swipe to dodge it because the dodge button is laggy as poo poo in this game. Oh, and there's two timings for the horizontal swipe. Hope you're paying attention!

Sometimes you'll walk in and he'll immediately run up to you and spam the fast horizontal swipe. gently caress you, try again.

It took me something like 30-40 attempts. I only won in the end because he didn't swipe all that often, probably because even a guy who can pace in a circle for a thousand years or whatever eventually gets tired of your ineptitude.

At least this caster build didn't have too much trouble with Darklurker. That one took fewer than 10 tries.

dumb bunny
Jan 30, 2014

Fun Shoe
Vendrick is extremely weak against cheese :ssh:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I haven't unlocked any dairy farm areas in the game yet so you'll have to be a little more specific than that

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Mr Dog posted:

I haven't unlocked any dairy farm areas in the game yet so you'll have to be a little more specific than that

Dry hump his left calf, fight won.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Leadthumb posted:

I am attempting a no death run, so that I can have an invisible spotted whip in NG+. I feel like that would be the most awesome thing to have as a blue sentinel.
I don't know what to go for besides that though. I was thinking maybe a lance? I don't know, what's the most annoying thing to deal with as an invader?

Whatever I just got killed by is the worst.

Right now probably monastery scimitar due to the instant parry frames, invisible is an added insult. Invisible Red Iron Twinblade would suck too if you let them get the first R1 off.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Flytrap posted:

Dry hump his left calf, fight won.

I can't imagine doing it any other way, that super long sword of his would make a short work of you and for what? Feeling good about yourself you're not a leg-humper like your dog? :smug:

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Bigass Moth posted:

Whatever I just got killed by is the worst.

Right now probably monastery scimitar due to the instant parry frames, invisible is an added insult. Invisible Red Iron Twinblade would suck too if you let them get the first R1 off.

Oh man, now I kinda want to have a spell parry shield to switch to, so it looks like I'm just slapping the spell away with my bare hand hahaha!

edited for clarity

Leadthumb fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Aug 12, 2014

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Leadthumb posted:

Oh man, now I kinda want to have a spell parry to switch to, so it looks like I'm just slapping the spell away with my bare hand hahaha!

You actually can parry spells: http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Magic+Shield

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

I know... I was just saying it would be cool to switch between the spotted whip and a spell parry shield, without the other player being able to tell.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

There are those hidden weapon rings. Unless you also want the other player to not see you do the swap animation, in which case that's a bad idea.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Manatee Cannon posted:

There are those hidden weapon rings. Unless you also want the other player to not see you do the swap animation, in which case that's a bad idea.

Ah, I forgot it would still show the animation.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

When did they give UGSs 180 degree tracking? I went to backstab a player and he swung all the around, from hitting in the wrong direction entirely.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

When did they give UGSs 180 degree tracking? I went to backstab a player and he swung all the around, from hitting in the wrong direction entirely.

Sure he didn't just turn himself around?

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

The UGS strong attack combo hits front and back, and most of them have arcs wide enough that if he aims backwards between swings he'll still land the second hit of the combo. Most likely though it was just latency.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Flytrap posted:

Sure he didn't just turn himself around?

Pretty sure.

To make up for it I just did a falchion-off with another player. I parried him and nearly won, but his ring bit into me and killed me (I forget the name of it).

e: /\/\/\/\ Oh.

e: Sanctum Nadir is my new favorite place to invade.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Aug 12, 2014

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Well, this is working fairly well so far - using the Silver-Black spear with dark infusion, and just poking most things to death. The Sentinels make me want to throw my computer through a window, but other than that the experience is quite interesting!

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Exodee posted:

They're chunks of broken pots that the lighting engine is spazzing out on slightly.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

Well, this is working fairly well so far - using the Silver-Black spear with dark infusion, and just poking most things to death. The Sentinels make me want to throw my computer through a window, but other than that the experience is quite interesting!

Those stats are about enough to wield the Roaring Halberd, a Dark scaling halberd and probably the strongest. You should try it out.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, waiting for another dark stone before I do that. Main thing holding me back from the roaring halberd is its weight - pushes me well over thirty percent at this point.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

RBA Starblade posted:

e: Sanctum Nadir is my new favorite place to invade.

Yeah, it's great when the invader spawns literally on your back since the area is smaller than my mancave.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

lordfrikk posted:

Yeah, it's great when the invader spawns literally on your back since the area is smaller than my mancave.

There's always summon signs there. I dislike invading there since the guy almost always have the two NPC summons, which make killing the host extremely difficult.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Genocyber posted:

There's always summon signs there. I dislike invading there since the guy almost always have the two NPC summons, which make killing the host extremely difficult.

I lucked out and got no one else. I also used the roaring halberd. When they tried to hide behind the bonfire hoping the level geometry would help I just shot a dark greatsword off. I just think it's funny because nobody is expecting it. :v:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
OK, experimenting with the Roaring Halberd...is it just me or does this thing fall apart if you so much as fart on it?

e; it also appears to be completely useless against Freja, as it keeps hitting her armour rather than her head. Well that's not at all irritating.

poptart_fairy fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Aug 13, 2014

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

poptart_fairy posted:

OK, experimenting with the Roaring Halberd...is it just me or does this thing fall apart if you so much as fart on it?

e; it also appears to be completely useless against Freja, as it keeps hitting her armour rather than her head. Well that's not at all irritating.

Someone will come and explain to you why the reduced durability in this game is actually a good thing (it's not) and you should like it(you shouldn't.)

Lots of weapons have startlingly low durability this time around, especially with the jump to 60 FPS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

poptart_fairy posted:

If you hit more than one enemy or a wall or a corpse and you don't have the bracing ring +2 on and repair on you you're hosed, yeah.