Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Also FE: Heroes is out now apparently

Don't worry if you feel a sexual attraction for this rabbit, it's actually a 1000 year old dragon that just happens to look like a rabbit most of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Skyward Sword has the worst combat in the series.

This but the complete opposite.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Guys guys guys! Dbrand skins are making them for the Switch. Stoked. Of course I'm not getting one till Christmas but still.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Snipperclips still has no release date beyond "March 2017". What if Nintendo pulls a fast one and makes it a pack-in game via download? Won't happen but I'd love free Snipperclips and it is capable of multiplayer with only 1 set of Joycons so it would be an excellent pack-in game

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Jimmy Hats posted:

The but the double opposite.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Skyward Sword has the worst combat in the series.

I think it's some of the best combat. Depends on what you're fighting. If you're fighting keese, Skyward Sword has the best combat controls of any 3D Zelda game.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

LionArcher posted:

Guys guys guys! Dbrand skins are making them for the Switch. Stoked. Of course I'm not getting one till Christmas but still.

Just messed around with it to see how the Switch would look like in different colors and a Red Dock and White Switch is slick as all gently caress, but man, it really makes you realize how god drat huge the bezel on the thing is:

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

s.i.r.e. posted:

Just messed around with it to see how the Switch would look like in different colors and a Red Dock and White Switch is slick as all gently caress, but man, it really makes you realize how god drat huge the bezel on the thing is:

Wow, it does

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Cojawfee posted:

I think it's some of the best combat. Depends on what you're fighting. If you're fighting keese, Skyward Sword has the best combat controls of any 3D Zelda game.

Problem with the combat in Skyward Sword is that literally every enemy seemed to be a Bokoblin of some kind or a Stalfos and all they did was slowly walk at you while holding a weapon up like "hey can you swing at the spot we're NOT covering player??"

And even then Bokoblins would sometimes just randomly shift to block a strike with almost no animation.

Enemy doesn't have a sword? Don't worry- it has a handy vertical or horizontal line for you to cut along and the enemy is more then happy to wave it in your face for a good half hour before doing anything.

It just wasn't interesting or fun to me.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

I've never understood the hatred of MKWii. It introduced Maple Treeway. It can't be the worst. It seems the complaints I hear are more whines about blue shells and stuff.

The item-based rubberbanding was more extreme in Mariokart Wii than any other game in the series. Being in front meant total bombardment that could leave you unable to even control your kart for several seconds, while being in the back meant you'd get an item that would wreck everyone in front of you. Every race involved swinging back and forth between first/last and hoping you'd land on an upswing at the end of lap 3.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

LionArcher posted:

Finally, the faux wood paneled portable I've been waiting for:

I do legitimately like the look of that wood dock skin though, I might actually buy it.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Hungry Computer posted:

I do legitimately like the look of that wood dock skin though, I might actually buy it.

Oh that's loving smooth. How much is the set? Website not working on my work comp.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
My wish for MK8 Switch: DLC of all the tracks from previous games. Put out 8 packs every few months.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Hungry Computer posted:

drat, I sure as hell am. And bamboo skins for the controller side. Gotta have a dark bezel though, would be weird with the screen otherwise

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Supercar Gautier posted:

The item-based rubberbanding was more extreme in Mariokart Wii than any other game in the series. Being in front meant total bombardment that could leave you unable to even control your kart for several seconds, while being in the back meant you'd get an item that would wreck everyone in front of you. Every race involved swinging back and forth between first/last and hoping you'd land on an upswing at the end of lap 3.

Yeah,like when the melee players whine about the gameplay in Brawl that others don't seem to notice. I feel that way about MKWii. And I don't feel good about feeling that way. ITs a shame too because the map selection is amazing.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Bombadilillo posted:

Oh that's loving smooth. How much is the set? Website not working on my work comp.

$38.95 with $1.00 shipping worldwide for a full set with everything.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Leather Switch

What's the thingie under the arrow buttons?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

As long as we can all agree Mario Kart 8's the best Mario Kart of all time I think we can come to a compromise.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

SelenicMartian posted:

What's the thingie under the arrow buttons?

The screenshot (maybe eventually video too) button.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Hungry Computer posted:

I got a wood paneling skin on my PS4. I will absolutely do this with my Switch when I can.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Ive used decalgirl to turn my ps4 into and NES and I love it everyday that I look at it. Big decal fan. I'll see what offering there are before jumping, but that wood is the early frontrunner.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

The idea of putting the decal on not perfectly has prevented me from ever getting one, because if it was even slightly off I would lose my poo poo every time I saw it.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Nephzinho posted:

The idea of putting the decal on not perfectly has prevented me from ever getting one, because if it was even slightly off I would lose my poo poo every time I saw it.

I find that unlike a screen protector where you are worried about speed so dust doesn't magically appear, you can do it much slower and take your time. You can also peal them off and put it back on the sheet and reapply. They are way way less stressful then a screen protector.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Hungry Computer posted:

I might just skin the dock that way, god drat.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
I'll hold out for the inevitable NES skin.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Hungry Computer posted:

I recommend Dbrand, I have one of their laptop skins and it's drat solid.

I might do this:

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

well why not posted:

how bad is MK8 vis a vis item communism?

Item drops are based on distance from first place. This has the unfortunate sideeffect of first place being the safest position, perhaps even taking the Blue Shell into account, and leads to really easy snowballing.

Evil Fluffy posted:

^^^^ God yes. The Wii Mario Kart was loving awful. I put it down for good after the 5th race in a row in 100cc where I was on the final stretch in first place and proceeded to get chain-hosed by the AI with items and put in to 8th place with zero chance of avoiding it. Also the bikes in general handled like greasy rear end.

Yeah, items were really bad in MKW (though MKDS also had the same problem), not gonna defend that.
However, the problem with the bikes in MKW is the complete opposite: bikes were super busted in Wii, as long as you also:

1) Used an inward-drifting bike. Two of the bikes in every weight class (IIRC, there were eight bikes in every weight class) drifted inwards instead of outwards and there was no way to know which was which without trying them out. Inward-drifting meant that the bikes actually became controllable and let you take super sharp turns.
2) Played with manual drifting. Bikes could wheelie. This gave them a speedboost. As a balancing tool, you also have to manually stop the wheelie, which was lovely, janky and awkward. Unless you drifted, in which case the wheelie was automatically canceled.

Luckily MK8 dropped the wheelie and specifically marked inward-drifting bikes.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

DoctorWhat posted:

I might just skin the dock that way, god drat.

I went ahead and ordered that dock skin. Mahogany skin with Bamboo logo, $17 after shipping. Probably gonna look silly with the neon joycons tho.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

s.i.r.e. posted:

=
There were some good parts to Twilight Princess but yeah, everything about the snow mansion was absolutely fantastic and nothing else in the game came close.

Malo Mart

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Good point. The rest though I wasn't big on.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

https://mobile.twitter.com/NintendoEurope/status/827154640668073984

Please let it be a direct.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Waltzing Along posted:

I've never understood the hatred of MKWii. It introduced Maple Treeway. It can't be the worst. It seems the complaints I hear are more whines about blue shells and stuff.

Yeah if you're good (which is a low bar for MK) then it's really not hard to get triple stars on all the cups. To be honest, double dash is a lot harder since you can't hold items behind you like in the later games.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Waltzing Along posted:

I love mario kart wii, but it was a lot easier to play it as mario bike wii.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

The only thing that disappointed me about MKWii was the track selection. I wasn't a huge fan of the new tracks other than Maple Treeway/DK Summit (which are just DK Mountain reskins) and Rainbow Road (MK Wii has the best rainbow road in the game).

I wish they would include a Rainbow Cup that is just all the Rainbow Roads.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Hungry Computer posted:

Hell yes 70's Home Entertainment Electronics Switch

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Borsche69 posted:

The only thing that disappointed me about MKWii was the track selection. I wasn't a huge fan of the new tracks other than Maple Treeway/DK Summit (which are just DK Mountain reskins) and Rainbow Road (MK Wii has the best rainbow road in the game).

I wish they would include a Rainbow Cup that is just all the Rainbow Roads.

I distinctly remember when I was unlocking levels being SURE that the last set of tracks was going to be all Rainbow Roads.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005

Jimmy Hats posted:

I agree with the other guy. My conclusion is that wii motion plus didn't function properly for some. (Me)

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

EpicNemesis posted:

I agree with the other guy. My conclusion is that wii motion plus didn't function properly for some. (Me)

My conclusion is that this was almost certainly user error, BUT given how common that seemed to be it's still a major flaw in the product.

LoveBoatCaptain
Aug 26, 2008

Celebrate as all our past ways wither, lead the way to an age of light
The motion controls were great, but the in-game tutorial didn't explain them very well, which is pretty ironic considering the game explains everything else more thoroughly than anyone who has the mental capacity to hold a controller could possibly need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Naw. They weren't great. This is because they would have been better if it was just a button press.

• Locked thread