Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Wasn't there a VR build of Dolphin to VR the Metroid Prime games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Yeah but I can't imagine Quest could run dolphin. I mean.. maybe emulators are better optimized than I remember, or the quest is faster than I think, but it feels like a stretch.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Hellsau posted:

I got the Quest because why not. First impressions:

Holy crap the Fresnel lenses are extremely obvious just from looking at them, much moreso than on the Rift. It also leads to "god rays" with bright objects in a dark environment that are kind of rounded instead of straight rays like on the Rift.

Why does it include an extra face plate? Charging cable seems good, and I'd prefer there to be a power brick instead

lol this phone pairing poo poo is real dumb, just get stuff working in the headset please, like it made me type in my wifi password multiple times anyway, because apparently revealing the password and then not unrevealing it makes the password incorrect

The controllers are notably worse than the Touch. The strap is much better than the braided one on the Touch, and the buttons are rearranged a bit since the thumb area is narrower, but the trigger is just slightly off and the controllers feel a little...fat? Maybe I'll get used to it. The tracking ring being flipped up doesn't appear to change anything. The spring in the battery compartment is incredibly tiny so we'll see how that works for Beat Saber.

The Quest is insanely easy to use with glasses.

I might be allergic to something on the foam? Or maybe it's just pollen.

Man this looks fantastic. Played through the new tutorial and I am now living in the goddamn future. Metroid Prime Trilogy Quest when, Nintendo?

Tracking is good, setup is easy once in the headset, easy guardian boundaries setup.

Welp downloading Robo Recall, I'll try it outside in three or four hours.

Agree with all of this, and presumably that's something they can and should add to the software.

I might be wrong but I thought I read the extra faceplate is for eyeglass wearers?

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Tom Guycot posted:

Nox?

Edit: reading into it quick, looks like the emulators don't support Blu tooth, and that's the sticking point with the app.

That sucks. No old tablet or iPad?

I just remembered we had some lovely android tablet that runs like complete rear end, but I'm pretty sure it was "new" as of last holiday season. It has bluetooth, able to get things from the Google app store. "This app isn't compatible with your device."

Like I get it, it's on me that the workarounds I was trying to do don't work and they explicitly said an Iphone or Android device is required. Even with an android tablet I still can't get the app. Why can't I just setup my wifi on the thing and do this poo poo online? Like I can wait for my sister to come over and use her phone I guess... maybe who knows if even that will work at this point. Probably just going to return it regardless.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Man that really sucks, sorry. The only other thing I can think is, if the store is telling you its not compatible, would be to download the app on the emulator, then side load it onto the tablet. It might still run even though the play store is saying its not, but, I dunno, longshot maybe.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
More Quest impressions:

Passthrough cameras are disorienting but very useful.

I tried playing Robo Recall outside, and the tracking was not consistent. Maybe it wasn't dark enough in my backyard, maybe there weren't enough identifiable objects around to track, but holding the controllers up to aim down the pistol sights caused them to jiggle a little, and every minute or so the Quest would throw up an error for a second saying tracking was lost before coming back in. The Quest also threw up a "out of wifi area" notification in game every three or four minutes, dunno if that matters. Also it's hot as gently caress outside, why couldn't the Quest come out in March? I'll go back out in a couple hours when it's darker and try again, and then maybe put out some flower pots around the edges of the playing field, or try the driveway. Notably my yard is on a slight hill, and the floor tracker only does 90 degrees from vertical somehow (I assume through gyroscope magic) so as I go further up/down the playspace, I get taller/shorter in game.

On the loading screen for Robo Recall, it's a big bright white rectangle, and I can see an extremely annoying flicker in my peripheral vision on that white screen. I haven't noticed any other flickers.

Robo Recall is amazing. Probably be even more amazing with effectively infinite space.

Beat Saber is amazing. I really miss Beat Saber Tweaks - I forgot how incredibly loud the hit/miss sounds are.

The audio is BAD. It's $1 earphone bad, maybe worse because if the sound pipes are angled incorrectly then it's even worse than my crappy five year old dollar store earbuds. The Rift's audio is extremely good and has a lot of volume, the Quest's is bad, quiet, and a real disappointment.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I might be wrong but I thought I read the extra faceplate is for eyeglass wearers?

lol what, my dad's giant rear end glasses fit in perfectly, where he had to swap to a thin pair for the Rift, no idea how that faceplate would be an improvement

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Are they going to have some ability to plug in your own headphones into the Quest or did they really gently caress up something as easy as that?

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Rex-Goliath posted:

Are they going to have some ability to plug in your own headphones into the Quest or did they really gently caress up something as easy as that?

There are 3.5mm stereo jacks on either side of the device you can use with your own headphones. Their solution uses both, but you can still use either with any set of headphones with a 3.5mm jack.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Hellsau posted:

More Quest impressions:

Passthrough cameras are disorienting but very useful.

I tried playing Robo Recall outside, and the tracking was not consistent. Maybe it wasn't dark enough in my backyard, maybe there weren't enough identifiable objects around to track, but holding the controllers up to aim down the pistol sights caused them to jiggle a little, and every minute or so the Quest would throw up an error for a second saying tracking was lost before coming back in. The Quest also threw up a "out of wifi area" notification in game every three or four minutes, dunno if that matters. Also it's hot as gently caress outside, why couldn't the Quest come out in March? I'll go back out in a couple hours when it's darker and try again, and then maybe put out some flower pots around the edges of the playing field, or try the driveway. Notably my yard is on a slight hill, and the floor tracker only does 90 degrees from vertical somehow (I assume through gyroscope magic) so as I go further up/down the playspace, I get taller/shorter in game.

On the loading screen for Robo Recall, it's a big bright white rectangle, and I can see an extremely annoying flicker in my peripheral vision on that white screen. I haven't noticed any other flickers.

Robo Recall is amazing. Probably be even more amazing with effectively infinite space.

Beat Saber is amazing. I really miss Beat Saber Tweaks - I forgot how incredibly loud the hit/miss sounds are.

The audio is BAD. It's $1 earphone bad, maybe worse because if the sound pipes are angled incorrectly then it's even worse than my crappy five year old dollar store earbuds. The Rift's audio is extremely good and has a lot of volume, the Quest's is bad, quiet, and a real disappointment.

lol what, my dad's giant rear end glasses fit in perfectly, where he had to swap to a thin pair for the Rift, no idea how that faceplate would be an improvement

I looked at the Quest's store page. Looks like it's a spacer, not an entirely new faceplate, but it deffo says for people with glasses. I guess it increases the distance between the lens of the HMD and eyeglasses to prevent scratching?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Sigourney Cheevos posted:

There are 3.5mm stereo jacks on either side of the device you can use with your own headphones. Their solution uses both, but you can still use either with any set of headphones with a 3.5mm jack.

Ok phew because that would have been a definite dealbreaker

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Someone has also already hacked the Quest to use bluetooth headphones.

That sounds particularly bad for the Rift S since most impressions seem to say they have a similar audio implementation but it's worse on the S. Bleh Oculus I wanted a straight forward upgrade to the Rift with less bother.

My Quest is supposed to arrive today. I really hope the godrays aren't as bad as someone was saying. They bother the gently caress out of me on the Rift and I'll probably return the Quest if they are prevalent and wait for impressions on the Index.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I have a good pair of over ear wireless headphones. Could I use that instead of the headset speakers?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Quest owners, can you see very clearly the ridges on your lenses? I can see them on the Rift but I have to get the right light and the right angle, and they look thinner than on the Quest.

No problems with god rays in game once everything brightens up, but white logos in a black void it's pretty bad.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Tom Guycot posted:

Yeah but I can't imagine Quest could run dolphin. I mean.. maybe emulators are better optimized than I remember, or the quest is faster than I think, but it feels like a stretch.

I was talking more towards the PC version of Dolphin. If I pick up the Rift S I'd like to try that, if it's a thing.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
My first impressions/nitpicks on the Quest:

- Overall pretty great, solid build quality, incredibly easy setup (unless you somehow don't have a phone or any friends with a phone)

- Light overall but still pretty front-heavy... I think I'd almost prefer just taping a small USB-C charger on the back to provide counterweight.

- Has the same great optics as Rift, with edge-to-edge clarity. Exception being apps that use fixed foveated rendering, which pixelates stuff around the edges of your view. Tough to notice unless you're looking for it, though.

- Oddly the IPD calibration lines go out of focus if I look to the left or right (not up or down). Maybe this is the famous "pupil swim" thing I've heard about?

- As the other person was saying, adjusting IPD shows no values on screen. It is a pretty easy thing to measure in hardware (operates on a similar principal to those $3 Chinese digital calipers that measure electrical resistance). Oculus called the slider a "focus slider" and gives no mention of IPD, so maybe the IPD is actually measured in hardware and they decided at some point to hide it to simplify the concept for normies? Or maybe they removed it. Pain in the rear end when I already know the exact IPD of my friends and myself.

- The display is nice, but the OLED still has "black smear". You can see it on the main library menu as you tilt your head around. I'd have thought newer displays would fix this but it's as bad as it's been since the Samsung Note 3 display in the DK2.

- Rec Room has incredibly choppy tracking of the controllers (looks like 20 FPS or something), even though head tracking is fine. I was afraid this was a limitation of the device, but Big Screen is buttery smooth. I guess Rec Room could use more optimization.

- For some reason, tracking slightly skips in the Oculus Library Menu while using the Quest in my office. It's enough to be annoying. Not sure why, there's more than enough poo poo in this office to optically latch on to from any angle. I'll try a bit more now that the sun is set.

FuzzySlippers posted:

Someone has also already hacked the Quest to use bluetooth headphones.

The Samsung Gear VR had a few Oculus Store apps that would go completely go to poo poo if you paired a bluetooth headset. Apparently the 0.3% more performance it took or or something messed up the apps because they were running at 100%. So I'd say run bluetooth at your own risk until Oculus officially supports it, and try disabling it if you encounter an issue.

Hellsau posted:

Quest owners, can you see very clearly the ridges on your lenses? I can see them on the Rift but I have to get the right light and the right angle, and they look thinner than on the Quest.

No problems with god rays in game once everything brightens up, but white logos in a black void it's pretty bad.

I can't see ridges when I'm wearing them. God rays are slightly there but they're much, much better than Rift.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I looked at the Quest's store page. Looks like it's a spacer, not an entirely new faceplate, but it deffo says for people with glasses. I guess it increases the distance between the lens of the HMD and eyeglasses to prevent scratching?

Uhhhhh, will the facial interface from the quest fit a Rift? Because I’m extremely interested in that

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Oh, one other observation, the Quest stinks. I mean it is literally saturated with Chinese factory smell, more than any other headset I've used. I can smell it from three feet away on my desk. Anyone else notice that? I assume it fades away over some days like a foam mattress.

GamerMage
Sep 25, 2004
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1602460

Get this thing printed. Most public libraries have 3D printers.
Order the lenses from zenni optical.
Combine
It cost me $20 total and works great

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

So far I can't get it as comfy as the Rift. I know I have kind of a "long" head but I really want to pull the back down on the base of my skull and it's not easy. PSVR/Rift S mount mod when

I like the audio solution even if the quality kinda blows because it just makes the whole device easier to use casually.

The passthrough camera is weird but cool.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Zero VGS posted:

I can't see ridges when I'm wearing them. God rays are slightly there but they're much, much better than Rift.

Oh no they're not visible while I'm wearing them, but when the headset is on a surface with the lenses pointing up they're very obvious.

Zero VGS posted:

Oh, one other observation, the Quest stinks. I mean it is literally saturated with Chinese factory smell, more than any other headset I've used. I can smell it from three feet away on my desk. Anyone else notice that? I assume it fades away over some days like a foam mattress.

Mine does not smell strongly, I have to put my nose up on it, and then it smells like a dentist, or maybe a dentist's office.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Hellsau posted:

Quest just arrived and if I'm out of the sweet spot I can see the ridges. It's still updating but the god rays are definitely present in the updating screen but significantly less than my Rift at least.

The padding around the facial interface is also dramatically nicer than the Rift. It's a nice spongey fabric instead of the hair magnet foam.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Tom Guycot posted:

Obviously this list is far from comprehensive and I was going off mostly my memory, so I'd love any suggestions of what to add, or if theres a better way I should present the spreadsheet or something. Just thought We could use an updated list for quick reference, or for a new OP or something.

Under paid sim games, you can put IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of <whatever>, rFactor 2, Evochron Legacy, House of the Dying Sun, Everspace, and that Descent clone whose name I can never remember. Also you've got Gorn, Raw Data, and Space Pirate Trainer listed twice. I don't know where you'd put Minecraft on there, but it's pretty chill in VR

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Tom Guycot posted:

if theres a better way I should present the spreadsheet or something. Just thought We could use an updated list for quick reference, or for a new OP or something.

If you transfer it to Google Sheets, you can 'Publish' the spreadsheet, so there's an html version where people could highlight and search for games(but not modify, different than the sharing function). You could also make them into search links for the respective stores, but that's some more effort.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Oculus Quest thoughts from those who have a Rift?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I'd say god rays are less noticeable than on the Rift, but I don't think I've ever found them too distracting. After a longer session now I'd say it's less comfortable than OG Rift. My head is big enough I don't think I can pull the strap down quite far enough on the back of my head. Audio is a big drop from Rift, but the convenience makes up for a lot. Plus I think I'll be using Quest primarily with other people around, so not being as isolated while letting them hear what is going on will be nice.

Vader Immortal was worth the :10bux:, mostly a theme park kinda experience but the saber combat was pretty fun. Will be a really popular game for demoing VR to friends/family I think.

Hughmoris posted:

It kicks rear end and I regret nothing.

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 00:52 on May 22, 2019

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Just a heads up to anyone who casts to their TV. You'll notice a red dot in the top right corner. It's just letting you know you are recording or casting to your phone/TV. Your brand new $400 toy doesn't have a defective screen. I freaked out a little bit there.

Edit: Other than that I love this thing and not being tied down to cables is liberating as hell. Would buy again.

jabro fucked around with this message at 00:55 on May 22, 2019

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I'm disappointed in the casting abilities so far. Works well enough in the menus, but none of the games I've tried have allowed it.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Yeah, only thing that has worked so far is the sports game demo and YouTube. Beat Saber demo doesn't which is real disappointing. If they expect this to be truly mobile where you take it places and show people everything needs to cast.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Hughmoris posted:

I find the lack of a cable and the better fit on my face so welcome that I feel like I'll only play things on the Rift that require it from now on.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

jabro posted:

Yeah, only thing that has worked so far is the sports game demo and YouTube. Beat Saber demo doesn't which is real disappointing. If they expect this to be truly mobile where you take it places and show people everything needs to cast.

Full version of beat saber doesn't cast either :(

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

The Quest display is a significant improvement over the Rift. God rays are there, but if you are in the sweet spot they are much reduced. I haven't seen any SDE. Text is sharp and easy to read. Virtual Desktop seems pretty overpriced for the Quest launch, but I'm tempted to get it since I think the Quest is gonna be amazing for streaming games to your own portable giant screen. I'm gonna try Big Screen first but apparently Virtual Desktop has much better latency. I've never used a VR device to watch a movie but I imagine it'd be pretty great too.

Far from feeling like 'mobile vr' so far it feels like an overall better visual experience than the Rift. There's less of a feeling of peering through grainy goggles. I'm sure once I try Robo Recall I'll start to feel the graphical disparity but I really can't overstate what a nice visual experience it is.

The fit is very different than the Rift and the first impression is definitely less comfortable. It rides higher and just feels off. It does feel like it has plenty of adjustments so it is possible I'll find a fit that works and get used to it. Of course the lack of cable makes for a huge fit improvement too.

Audio is meh, but I was never that impressed with the Rift Audio so it doesn't feel like a big downgrade. Just fooling around on it I appreciate how there's nothing to fiddle with and the audio is serviceable enough. When I used the Gear VR I had ear buds sorta wrapped around the straps so they were hanging by my ears and I never found it very difficult to put them in. I could see myself doing something like that but I'd probably run the built in audio most of the time.

Controllers are just as good as the Rift except it's easier to bonk yourself in the headset with the big rings on top. No tracking problems so far even in the tutorial bit where I had one resting against the headset to aim the two handed gun.

edit: oh yeah I mentioned above but the material of the facial interface is nicely improved. It's a nice soft spongey fabric that's better than the Rift and looks like it'll collect less hair. I've actually ordered a vr cover since going back to the foam on my Rift sucks.

No factory smell on mine.

Obviously these are quick impressions so I'm not completely sure if I'm keeping it.

FuzzySlippers fucked around with this message at 01:34 on May 22, 2019

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
The Bigscreen developer said there's an update coming in summer that will greatly reduce latency and improve the quality of streams, essentially setting themselves up as a real Virtual Desktop competitor.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Quest outside works perfectly once the sun goes down a bit. If it's shady but still bright in the sky, hand tracking doesn't work too well and head tracking skips every minute or so. Shame it's still hot as hell and the air's full of pollen and bugs or I'd cast away my shame and play more outside, but I'm already sweaty after two Beat Saber songs and a level in Robo Recall.

Also the tracking in Beat Saber feels extremely nice - breezed through a few Expert+ songs (and failed on the nonsense default Expert+ Pop Stars map) and it felt better than playing on the Rift, even ignoring the many USB issues and random camera problems that I run into on the PC. The sound is a problem though - I would never want to play Beat Saber with the built-in sound, and I'm spoiled by the excellent built-in Rift headphones so crappy or mediocre earbuds ain't cutting it. If the Quest came with the same headphones as the Rift, except with the crappy Rift foam replaced with the much better Quest padding, that'd have been perfect. Guess I'll have to get some of those clip-ons before someone figures out Beat Saber mods.

Hughmoris posted:

Substantially more comfortable even without an aftermarket face cover. Still waiting on more and better software, just like with the Rift. Controllers feel off slightly, and the inside of the tracking ring is kind of rough which means I'm going to need to figure out a different way to hold the controller than I did on the Touch, especially since the battery cover on the Quest's controller slips off too easily when going ham in Beat Saber.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

AndrewP posted:

So far I can't get it as comfy as the Rift. I know I have kind of a "long" head but I really want to pull the back down on the base of my skull and it's not easy. PSVR/Rift S mount mod when

I like the audio solution even if the quality kinda blows because it just makes the whole device easier to use casually.

The passthrough camera is weird but cool.

If you follow the instructions you are supposed to remove the top strap, and then adjust the side ones first. Then adjust the top one. I think I have the opposite problem that the back of my head isn't that pronounced.

I saw on youtube theres a 3rd party additional head strap you can get that might help with comfort

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVPODlW4Z_8

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

I kept the little cardboard thing that comes with the Quest that covers up the lenses, and popped it back in to keep sunlight out when it's not in use. Given how the thing needs to be charged instead of being stashed away when not in used, I'd be worried that it'll get angled towards sunlight peeking through a window and screw everything up.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
Yeah chromecasting needs a newer chromecast.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Hellsau posted:

I kept the little cardboard thing that comes with the Quest that covers up the lenses, and popped it back in to keep sunlight out when it's not in use. Given how the thing needs to be charged instead of being stashed away when not in used, I'd be worried that it'll get angled towards sunlight peeking through a window and screw everything up.

Someone online had the idea to use a sleep mask for that purpose and I started doing that. Plus if you take a Go or Quest traveling you have a sleep mask with you.
For the Go I was also worried about other items in the case I have accidentally hitting the lenses in travel.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Has anyone plugged a quest into a pc to see what happens?

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

My god man, are you INSANE?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Kind of defeats the point, doesn’t it?

Serious answer: I haven’t but heard you can connect it to transfer media files for Big Screen or whatever media player you use.