Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Too Shy Guy posted:

It just occurred to me this morning that conservatives talk about "California values" like they do Sharia law. Is this a new thing, or have blue states and cities always been posed as The Great Satan to rural communities?

Does 1980 count as new?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Spicer scheduled to start in about 10min https://www.whitehouse.gov/live/press-briefing-press-secretary-sean-spicer-49

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

axeil posted:

Thus we must become monsters in return. We should pack the Supreme Court, triple the size of Congress, give rural places only 1 polling site, etc. Beat the GOP at their own game. Or we could become like Jeremy Corbyn but Americans are spiteful, hateful idiots and would probably get mad at sincerity and jam and all that.

We think weekly/daily gun deaths are normal. We may eve cheer whomever gets gunned down that day.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Someone needs to preserve the dignity of the system or else it just becomes a circus. If the Dems lose a couple of elections because they are not kow-towing to the passions of the moment, then it would be worth it if they maintain the integrity of the electoral process.

They won't maintain it either way, because no one on the right cares that they see dignity in the other side. It does literally nothing. The results are clear that this does not work and will not help Dems to get any integrity in the electoral process when they need it later.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Conservative media constantly harps on boogeymen and if there isn't a current one, they'll use an old favorite. That's why I hear conservatives I know IRL bitching about things D-grade celebrities did 15 years ago. It's pretty hilarious though. It's one thing if a d-lister did something recently, but still crying over poo poo from the 90's is amazing.

Out of all of this, what pisses me off the most is the conservative I see the most IRL keeps making jokes about Bill Clinton's blowjobs while handwaving what Tormp did to Ivana and his penchant for pussy grabbing.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
Its incredible to think that in 2017, weather can change the course of an election because people in the East are so backwards that they can't imagine any other way to vote.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

glowing-fish posted:

Its incredible to think that in 2017, weather can change the course of an election because people in the East are so backwards that they can't imagine any other way to vote.

there is always more and it is always worse

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

glowing-fish posted:

Western states never have issues with weather. That would be ridiculous.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Wow, rain-out only in D areas, Ossuf himself being whiny and scared, and the pathetic dinosaur displays in an attempt to seem modern? Yeah, Ossuf is losing today. 100%. You can call it now. The Republicans will take this as a sign the status-quo is totally fine and go forward with the AHCA. This was literally our only hope of stopping that bill at this point.

God drat it, we are seriously, seriously hosed. It would literally take a miracle to avoid millions of deaths from occurring due to the law over the next 7+ years now.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I think his point is that many Western states have heavy investment in vote by mail

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

theflyingorc posted:

I think his point is that many Western states have heavy investment in vote by mail

If you had as many mountains as Montana, you'd have vote by mail too

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

theflyingorc posted:

Yeah. My point was that many Western states have poor anti-drought measures.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Covok posted:

Wow, rain-out only in D areas, Ossuf himself being whiny and scared, and the pathetic dinosaur displays in an attempt to seem modern? Yeah, Ossuf is losing today. 100%. You can call it now. The Republicans will take this as a sign the status-quo is totally fine and go forward with the AHCA. This was literally our only hope of stopping that bill at this point.

God drat it, we are seriously, seriously hosed. It would literally take a miracle to avoid millions of deaths from occurring due to the law over the next 7+ years now.

You're an idiot if you thought Ossoff winning would stop the AHCA.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Pellisworth posted:

If you had as many mountains as Montana, you'd have vote by mail too

the mountains of montana are nothing vs the mountains of wisconsin, sorry.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Oregon, Washington and Colorado are all exclusively vote-by-mail. Oregon has been exclusively vote-by-mail for almost 20 years. California is discussing adopting it, and it is used for special elections in Montana.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Covok posted:

Take a deep breath, make yourself an alcoholic drink and chill the gently caress out bro

e: "Ossuf" lol

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Judging by the content of my facebook, the internet fell 100% for the "Sean Spicer is fat" derailment of the original question.

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.

Sloober posted:

He did anti-corruption vids for Al-Jazeera so its easy to make that logic leap for them.

Conservatives associate Al-Jazeera with beheading videos.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

I used to watch these, but I can't bring myself to anymore. Watching this man's brain operate live gives me a cluster headache.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Javes posted:

Conservatives associate Al-Jazeera anything muslim with beheading videos.

fixed

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Covok posted:

will you crawl into your hidey hole and get hosed already

even if anything you are posting is remotely true or accurate you sound like a pathetic idiot and add nothing to the conversation.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Reading Covok posts is like watching reruns of America's Funniest Home Videos. I can't believe it's still so popular.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
the real problem is all the liberal snowflakes will melt in the rain

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

axeil posted:

I'm a centrist and I say we go full Jeremey Corbyn's Labour and gently caress anyone who doesn't fall in line behind full medicare for all, UBI, and everything else short of FULL COMMUNISM NOW because clearly the old strategy doesn't work anymore.

Yeah I'm not even making a point about where to swing politically in terms of leftist or centrist but clearly being "bipartisan" is a massively losing strategy because no one respects being a nice guy that gets taken advantage of in politics. Obama was cool and charismatic enough that he was able to remain popular but his party suffered for it. If Democrats want to keep going centrist and can win with that whatever but trying to do it because they want to reach across the aisle is idiotic when both voting bases hate the other. It wins you no respect from voters, especially if it actively is hindering what you are trying to do and makes you look weak.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

https://twitter.com/MichaelRWarren/status/876940078626492416

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Covok really is the modern day arzy, ain't he. If only asking him nicely to stop posting if he's going to be a sad little ball of infinite despair worked.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

theflyingorc posted:

georgia has early voting by mail though :shrug: this is just insane mountain man declaring that everything outside of his personal experience is bad and flawed

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Reading Covok posts is like watching reruns of America's Funniest Home Videos. I can't believe it's still so popular.

how can you not love

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGP1YFE5s4M

the vid thing even says try to not laugh, because its hard

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Seriously Covok, get some professional help and quit airing the gases emanating from your diseased brain all over the rest of us.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

Covok really is the modern day arzy, ain't he. If only asking him nicely to stop posting if he's going to be a sad little ball of infinite despair worked.

So what you're saying is we need to punch Covok?

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Xombie posted:

You have to understand that at least 25% of Americans unironically and literally believe what's put into far-right cartoons and Chick tracts. That liberals, satanists, and brown people (and let's face it, jews) are out to murder them and their babies and the only way to stop it is to vote for Republicans and amass as much wealth as possible to buy your way into heaven. It's the very essence of prosperity gospel.

This is the legacy of not properly achieving reconstruction in the post-Civil War era.

Yeah it's just one more thing I've had to add to the pile of "things I thought America was better than but WELP" that I started back in November.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

The ACHA will not cause "millions of american deaths", stop being hyperbolic.

Tens of thousands of american deaths, sure. Millions of bankruptcies, wouldn't be surprised. Insane premium increases for the sick, absolutely. The loss of thousands of jobs in the health care industry and fewer options for coverage, you bet. Declining quality of life for the working poor, absolutely.

Focus on arguments that aren't completely divorced in reality, please.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
In the last 20+ years I've only gone to vote in person twice and it sucked monkey-balls both times. Absentee is the only way to go.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

glowing-fish posted:

You really are the weirdest troll gimmick I 've ever seen

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Dietrich posted:

Tens of thousands of american deaths, sure. Millions of bankruptcies, wouldn't be surprised. Insane premium increases for the sick, absolutely. The loss of thousands of jobs in the health care industry and fewer options for coverage, you bet. Declining quality of life for the working poor, absolutely.

Depends, which year do you pretend we change from the AHCA to a better alternative. Leave the system in place long enough and you'll see millions die because of it. Add in increase disease due to climate change and it might be faster than you think.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Dietrich posted:

Why would it matter if anyone did?

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

boner confessor posted:

georgia has early voting by mail though :shrug: this is just insane mountain man declaring that everything outside of his personal experience is bad and flawed

I glanced over the form (I live within walking distance of my polling place so I didn't pay much attention) and thought that you had to be physically handicapped or otherwise absent from the state to use those. My memory is poo poo but I remember this big bold text asking you to "certify" you are not able to make it to a polling station, I'm guessing because they want to enforce the voter ID laws.

I am hopefully full of poo poo, though.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Dietrich posted:

I remember reading estimates that said things like 50,000 more deaths per year after the AHCA.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Democrats won the popular vote by a significant amount and only lost the presidency by a tiny amount of people.

I'm fine with Full Communism though, and I think Labours gains should be very informative to Dems if they choose to pay attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

WeAreTheRomans posted:

You really are the weirdest troll gimmick I 've ever seen

"I admire its purity"

• Locked thread