Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!
My Itech (not 1200) has black padding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Aniki posted:

Your mask is one piece of equipment that you really don't want to skimp on. The Hackva's are the most affordable safe mask on the market, you can pick up aHackva for $295 CDN from Don Simmons'. $295 may sound like a lot when you are piecing together your first set of gear, but the expense is well worth it.
Forgot about Don Simmons site, but I think they need to update/remove their US moneysaver feature since it now says

Don Simmons posted:

US EXCHANGE RATE
NOW 0%
MASSIVE SAVINGS
FOR YOU!
And probably will for a long time.

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

Destruction, hence, like creation, is one of Nature's mandates.

Hazed_Red posted:

Anyway, it's a little on the heavy side, but super comfortable and has fantastic protection.

A little? they weigh a ton when I wear my Hackva my neck and shoulders are tired at the end of the game compared to when I wear my Sher-Wood which is not much lighter. That being said, I only tell people to get Hackva buckets since as much as I love my first mask, I do feel safer in my Hackva. Never skimp on the mask, it is the only thing keeping that puck from making a dent in your brain. You can look in my past posts in this thread for a wonderful example of what happens when you skimp on the mask.

Hazed_Red
Nov 5, 2003

Would you like to pet my evil monkey?

Space Cadet posted:

A little? they weigh a ton when I wear my Hackva my neck and shoulders are tired at the end of the game

Do more... neck lifts... or something. :colbert:

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

To be fair, I have a pre-existing neck injury from a bad snowboarding accident and hearing fun things crack in my neck. Also, since the last time I got run my neck feels like the wet noodle connecting my head to my body and those extra few grams actually do make me fatigued. There is no bone damage as far as anyone can tell but I have a fair bit of soft tissue injuries that never healed properly over the years.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Space Cadet posted:

To be fair, I have a pre-existing neck injury from a bad snowboarding accident and hearing fun things crack in my neck. Also, since the last time I got run my neck feels like the wet noodle connecting my head to my body and those extra few grams actually do make me fatigued. There is no bone damage as far as anyone can tell but I have a fair bit of soft tissue injuries that never healed properly over the years.

Your body should adapt to the weight over time, but a preexisting injury would complicate things quite a bit. Have you done any exercises to strengthen the muscles in your neck? If a mask is causing discomfort, then it may not be a bad idea to build up more strength. Plus, it would help you better withstand the impact if someone runs you over in the net.

I really need to get back to the gym. I've been busy with hockey and other things for the past couple months and while I think that my body probably needed to rest, I want to get focused again and start a lifting plan. I'm just hesitating to do that now that I am playing frequently. I should at least do some maintenance lifting until things slow down again.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My Eddy GT lid feels like it's made of lead compared to my NXi. I want to say something ridiculous like my Eddy's cage feels like it's 1/2 of the weight of my NXi alone, but that doesn't sound right. Though I'm holding the cage in my hand right now and it's pretty drat heavy :v:

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Martytoof posted:

My Eddy GT lid feels like it's made of lead compared to my NXi. I want to say something ridiculous like my Eddy's cage feels like it's 1/2 of the weight of my NXi alone, but that doesn't sound right. Though I'm holding the cage in my hand right now and it's pretty drat heavy :v:

Eddy makes really good cages. I actually had someone manage to dent my Eddy cage, but it was from a slapshot from about 10-15 feet away from a 270 lb guy who played Defensive End for MCC. That was a ridiculously hard shot, but the cage did it's job and took the brunt of the impact, though my neck was still sore for a couple days after.

Eddy makes good masks. I really liked my Custom Kevlar, but I forgot to pack it back in my bag one night and no one ever turned it in. I do like my Hackva more, but I was not happy about losing a $400 mask.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I have three Eddy shells, each one waiting for me to refurb it. I keep wanting to try painting them myself but I'm going to end up just gutting all three to make one supermask.

Two GTs and one Custom Kevlar. All bought off GSBB for ridiculously low prices before I moved up here three years ago.

Just goes to show you how much I enjoy playing in my NXi that I don't really use them :smith: / :unsmith:

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
I don't think I have enough leg strength in my left leg to successfully slide to the right all the time. I am much faster sliding toward my left, with my right leg. Also, I still can't scrape the ice or hockey stop on my right foot.. although I am getting better at scraping the ice with both legs, just really slow.

How can I fix me?

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

Aniki posted:

Your body should adapt to the weight over time, but a preexisting injury would complicate things quite a bit. Have you done any exercises to strengthen the muscles in your neck? If a mask is causing discomfort, then it may not be a bad idea to build up more strength. Plus, it would help you better withstand the impact if someone runs you over in the net.

I do exercises, I have been in physio for it for 15 years now, and the last guy who ran me was well over 300 pounds and he didn't even try to stop. My d-men hammered the poo poo out of him after that though. Sadly the damage will likely stay with me the rest of my days, and I can rehab forever I doubt I will ever have a normal neck again. In the simplest of terms I am very prone to whiplash so a hard shot on my heavy helmet can sometimes be enough to snap my head back pretty good. The price we pay right? I still toss my face in front of the puck all the time. As I said, nothing bone, just soft tissue so it could be far worse than a sore or tired neck.

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

Polish posted:

I don't think I have enough leg strength in my left leg to successfully slide to the right all the time. I am much faster sliding toward my left, with my right leg. Also, I still can't scrape the ice or hockey stop on my right foot.. although I am getting better at scraping the ice with both legs, just really slow.

How can I fix me?

cycling, stretches, yoga, and stop being afraid of falling. :p

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night

Space Cadet posted:

cycling, stretches, yoga, and stop being afraid of falling. :p

Not afraid of falling.. I just can't seem to get the motion down. Its strange because I can do it no problem with my left foot. To even scrape the ice with my right foot I have to bend my left leg a big to try to get more power behind the push.

I also have piss poor skating technique because I learned to skate primarily on roller blades. But I will be taking a power skating class on Wed so hopefully that will set me straight a bit.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Plyometric exercises. Without a doubt the best form of off ice training you can do for goaltending. Have a look on youtube for some examples, P90x do an excellent plyo workout video.

But yeah if you're looking to build explosive leg strength, cardio and core strength then this is definitely what you need. I started seeing immediate benefits in my game after the second week and continue to develop my power and explosiveness 2 years on.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Zip! posted:

Plyometric exercises.

I got winded just watching people do this on youtube..
:goonsay:

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008

Martytoof posted:

I got winded just watching people do this on youtube..
:goonsay:

Don't feel bad, this guy gets winded after jumping three times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2yH1vixV4g

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
An advertisement for chicken came up before I watched a plyometric exercise video.. hmm..

My buddy does MMA and he does all this crazy crap. I should really train with him. Keep trying to get him to play hockey because he would be great if he could stick handle..

e: Wow these would be great.. and they are easy enough to do at home everyday. Thanks!

Polish fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jun 11, 2010

every
Apr 24, 2008

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

Is that Altair on the side of his helmet? If so I love that mask more than anyone has any right too. Those games are awesome. :D

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That is ridiculously awesome.

I'm trying to decide what my mask would be if I was in the NHL. It would probably be something like Futurama + Habs = Habsorama

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
Good news everyone, you’re being shipped off to Edmonton to deliver these reams of rejected offer sheets!

Also thanks all for the great help. That OBO mask looks pretty good (although this is just :psyduck: - http://www.obogoalkeeping.com/resources/2009/03/02/obo-face-off/) but Aus stores only seem to stock the ABS Plastic OBO’s instead of the Kevlar/carbon range intended for ice.

I could probably get by with the plastic OBO or the 1200 in the beginner league but I would eventually buy a new helmet anyway so I might as well just get the Hackva straight away. Here’s hoping Don Simmons can order the custom paintjob ones.. the silver King Tut ones are sexy as and match the rest of my gear perfectly.

Hazed_Red
Nov 5, 2003

Would you like to pet my evil monkey?

Zip! posted:

Plyometric exercises. Without a doubt the best form of off ice training you can do for goaltending. Have a look on youtube for some examples, P90x do an excellent plyo workout video.

Seconding this. Proprioception is another highly important exercise group that does wonders for your game.

Check out Maria Mountain's Revolution Sport Conditioning video channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/revolutioncondition

Plenty of goalie-specific exercises in there for endurance, reflexes, and stretching. All great stuff. Yes, she sound totally sounds like a 12-year-old boy.

Gruven
Jul 10, 2008

Martytoof posted:

Just goes to show you how much I enjoy playing in my NXi that I don't really use them :smith: / :unsmith:

A while back I posted asking about NXi masks, ended up buying an NXi phantom, an Itech glove and blocker, all for $150 from some guy on Craigslist. In hindsight I shouldn't have bought the blocker/glove, smell like mildewy death no matter how many times I pour boiling water through. Had to refurb the mask too. Paid $20 to get it repainted all black at an auto shop. New cage, new padding (spent $15 on the foam for the inside, not the same as standard helmet foam but it felt pretty drat close out of all options at the foam factory). It's pretty lightweight and so far I haven't died. I've taken plenty of shots off the noggin since I started using it, so far I only had one ringer. It didn't hurt, just couldn't hear straight for 5 seconds. I'm sure it was pretty risky refoaming everything with a non-hockey foam but my old man reassured me I'd live if I used that foam (he has been a goalie for the past 35 years and he used the same Jofa combo for at least 25 of those years. I figured his word was good enough to try that foam out).
I'll vouch for the NXi. Then again my experience is limited to that and the Itech 2500. The Jofa combo was fun to wear though, it was comfortable and the astronaut globe of a cage was hilarious looking.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Hazed_Red posted:

Seconding this. Proprioception is another highly important exercise group that does wonders for your game.

Check out Maria Mountain's Revolution Sport Conditioning video channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/revolutioncondition

Plenty of goalie-specific exercises in there for endurance, reflexes, and stretching. All great stuff. Yes, she sound totally sounds like a 12-year-old boy.

She has a really good thread over at the GSBB.

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008

Aniki posted:

She has a really good thread over at the GSBB.

http://www.youtube.com/user/revolutioncondition#p/search/0/95YwwHBAF_o

Basically just use a lacrosse ball or something to give the bottom of each foot a quick massage and get way more flexible :psyboom:

Edit: I just tested this and if you don't you're out of your mind.

This is going to seriously transform my game. I'm 6'4 and "not flexible" is an understatement. I've been aimlessly working on stretching everything out and making slow progress but this... this is golden. This thread delivers once again! :q:

gigabitnokie fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jun 11, 2010

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I think that I finally figured out one of my problems with angles tonight. It seems like when shooters are approaching wide, I am lining up a step too far wide, which is leading to the goals where I felt like I have good depth and am lined up properly only to have the puck go past me and into the far side of the net. I guess an easier way to describe it is that I am cheating slightly towards the near post. It seems like I need to move a step towards the center of the crease, which should put me at a better angle. It's typically the better players that hit that shot, but I had one guy that hit that shot a couple times tonight and it finally clicked what I was doing wrong.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
Holy poo poo that video about the lacrosse ball and flexibility is awesome. Definitely going to be reading and trying all of that. I am disgracefully inflexible and need to improve that so badly.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
That really is a cool trick. I was easily able to touch my toes despite having played hockey earlier this evening. I really do need to do more work on flexibility, I started doing some dynamic stretches with some success, but lately the only stretching I do has been at the rink, which is probably why I've had so much hip flexor tightness lately.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

aejix posted:

Also thanks all for the great help. That OBO mask looks pretty good (although this is just :psyduck: - http://www.obogoalkeeping.com/resources/2009/03/02/obo-face-off/) but Aus stores only seem to stock the ABS Plastic OBO’s instead of the Kevlar/carbon range intended for ice.

Email mike at obo.co.nz about getting one shipped to you directly. You really don't want to be cutting corners when it comes to your head. The custom job they did for me came to $450USD inc shipping and painting.

As for the faceoff... yeah they're pretty gnarly. They're for field hockey defenders who have to stand on the goal line whilst someone flicks a ball travelling at ~80mph past their ears. This kinda thing; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AauepSs1kUU (apologies for lovely music.)

Zip! fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Jun 11, 2010

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
Speaking of unsafe masks beside my own widowmaker, one dude I play with in a grumpy old men league still uses a Jim Craig/Jason mask. He also insists on using his stick to measure that the net is perfectly centered before every period.

Goalies :rolleyes:

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

ManicJason posted:

Speaking of unsafe masks beside my own widowmaker, one dude I play with in a grumpy old men league still uses a Jim Craig/Jason mask. He also insists on using his stick to measure that the net is perfectly centered before every period.

Goalies :rolleyes:

You can still buy those masks. I want to get one eventually as a decoration piece.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I just set up a session with a goalie coach next week. I'm really looking forward to get a chance to work on recoveries, though I'm sure he'll find quite a few things in my game that I need to work.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Aniki posted:

You can still buy those masks. I want to get one eventually as a decoration piece.

I love the explicit disclaimer they have to stick on the page for people who are basically retarded.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Sherwood 9990's, decent for a beginner set?

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!
don't see why not.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

don't see why not.
Hmm ok, found a brand new pair of pads going for $150 on ebay and debating pulling the trigger on 'em. I kind of feel like it's a loving ridiculous deal and I should get them ASAP since they're so cheap.

Then the other part of my brain goes "Why the gently caress are they so cheap?"

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008
Yeah those are a steal. I say go for it.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

Aniki posted:

I just set up a session with a goalie coach next week. I'm really looking forward to get a chance to work on recoveries, though I'm sure he'll find quite a few things in my game that I need to work.

Who are you taking lessons from? How much?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

$150 for Swd 9990s? If you don't buy them I will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Martytoof posted:

$150 for Swd 9990s? If you don't buy them I will.
Just waiting to hear shipping and then I have a feeling I'll be picking them up

• Locked thread