Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Hedrigall posted:

I'm a third into Shards of Honor and enjoying it enough, though. Once I'm finished this would you recommend I finish the whole omnibus (also contains Aftermaths and Barrayar), or go onto Warrior's Apprentice and then come back later?

Read the omnibii in the order they have been given.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

oTHi posted:

This book was weirdly different in theme and style to almost all his other works, Scifi and Fantasy. I still enjoyed it, but it read like it was ghostwritten.

I've only read a few of his books, all from the Recluce series. Loved The Magic Engineer, but found the rest merely okay. I liked Solar Express a lot when it was focusing on the alien artifact and exploration thereof, but neither protagonist felt compelling and the international tension plot ceased to be interesting once it devolved to "China bad! Grrrr!"

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I want some more 'solar system' sci fi, something much like The Expanse. Any suggestions? I'd like something with a 'busy' solar system, lots of colonies. Military sci fi would be preferable. I'm reading the 'USMC in Space' books but they are written for YA marines.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

The Quiet War and Gardens of the Sun.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Prolonged Priapism posted:

The Quiet War and Gardens of the Sun.

Thank you, The Quiet War looks like what I want! Glad it's got a series.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Chairman Capone posted:

Missile Gap is the one that comes to mind... I don't think it's all that Lovecraftian, but I loved the concept and setting.
The Lovecraftian one is the story where the Nazis won World War II because the US never got involved because Japan never bombed Pearl Harbor because nobody has ever crossed the Pacific Ocean.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Drifter posted:

Read the omnibii in the order they have been given.

Omnibuses. It's not actually a Latin noun of the second declension and even if it was it'd have to be "omnibius" to get that plural.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Groke posted:

Omnibuses. It's not actually a Latin noun of the second declension and even if it was it'd have to be "omnibius" to get that plural.

Octopus/Omnibus :colbert:
Omnibodes.
I'll hear none of your shenanigans.

Baloogan posted:

I want some more 'solar system' sci fi, something much like The Expanse. Any suggestions? I'd like something with a 'busy' solar system, lots of colonies. Military sci fi would be preferable. I'm reading the 'USMC in Space' books but they are written for YA marines.

Metaplanetary
I really enjoyed it. And its sequel.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Hedrigall posted:

I'm a third into Shards of Honor and enjoying it enough, though. Once I'm finished this would you recommend I finish the whole omnibus (also contains Aftermaths and Barrayar), or go onto Warrior's Apprentice and then come back later?

Barrayar Barrayar Barrayar. Shards of Honor is an okay book that is required to understand an absolutely excellent book.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Baloogan posted:

The Red Rising series. The first book is less how you're describing, but the second book is very much this. Added advantage of being incredibly good.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Shakugan posted:

The Red Rising series. The first book is less how you're describing, but the second book is very much this. Added advantage of being incredibly good.

Yeah, seconding this; I just finished the third book. They're excellent.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Kesper North posted:

Yeah, seconding this; I just finished the third book. They're excellent.

Where did you get a copy of the third book...

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

rafikki posted:

Where did you get a copy of the third book...

I thought you meant Linda Nagata's 'The Red' milSF trilogy, the concluding book of which came out last week.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Kesper North posted:

I thought you meant Linda Nagata's 'The Red' milSF trilogy, the concluding book of which came out last week.

No, they're talking about the Red Mars Red Rising trilogy, a YA Hungergames in space with a soupcon of YA politics nicely color coded.

vvv - thanks

Drifter fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Nov 12, 2015

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Drifter posted:

the Red Mars trilogy,

:confused:

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Baloogan posted:

Although it's absolutely YA, and is also pretty old by now, I have fond memories of reading Isaac Asimov's Lucky Starr series as a kid. It's set in the solar system, but a big plot throughout the series is the military tension between the solar system government and the breakaway human colony around Sirius.

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009

Baloogan posted:

There's "The Quantum Thief" by Hannu Rajaniemi. It's not straight-up mil-SF, but one of the characters is a soldier. It gets pretty heavy into quantum weirdness, nanotech hooha, and pocket-universe tomfoolery, but I really liked the series and recommend it to people.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Miss-Bomarc posted:

There's "The Quantum Thief" by Hannu Rajaniemi. It's not straight-up mil-SF, but one of the characters is a soldier. It gets pretty heavy into quantum weirdness, nanotech hooha, and pocket-universe tomfoolery, but I really liked the series and recommend it to people.

It may be worth pointing out the SA thread for the series is entitled "Hannu Rajaniemi is smarter than you" and you really do feel stupid how he throws you headlong into the world without much exposition.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I'll never understand that complaint.

You don't need to read an ADD&D booklet before the story gets going.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Baloogan posted:

Hmm. Maybe the Cassini Divison.

http://www.amazon.com/Cassini-Division-Fall-Revolution-Series/dp/1857237307

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Hughlander posted:

It may be worth pointing out the SA thread for the series is entitled "Hannu Rajaniemi is smarter than you" and you really do feel stupid how he throws you headlong into the world without much exposition.

If it's anything like how Gibson throws you in that sounds amazing

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
The Quantum Thief is really easy to understand if you just accept that everything does what you see it doing. You learn all the supertech pretty fast that way.

Except the ending, I'm not quite sure I got that. Might have to reread!

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Drifter posted:

Well, I read the first two a few years ago and finally got around to the third this week. I'm just going to put it down until I have time to read all three back to back, because there's too much that I don't remember and the author doesn't give any help, so I'm just missing out and skimming over the meaning too much. Kinda similar to (though not nearly as bad!) trying to go back and read the 9th and 10th Malazan books after having read the rest like 5 years ago.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Drifter posted:

For me it's not a complaint and was why I thought the first book was amazing. But also why I haven't started the second yet since I feel that there is a higher amount of "buy in" than most of the trash I read.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Drifter posted:

Introductions need to capture the interest of the reader quickly, but there is a fine line between the wonder of discovery and outright confusion. There are some really popular authors that I personally feel are atrocious at this kind of thing, so where that lines goes seems to be very subjective. I've not read Quantum Thief, but for instance I hate the way Revelation Space just throws you in there, I tolerate when A Fire Upon the Deep does it, but I prefer the exposition and slow introduction of elements in Dune.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

In case no one reads the front page here, the most recent Photoshop Phriday has a pretty good parody of a 1980s space opera rpg sourcebook. The cat aliens are clearly spoofing the Kzinti:

http://www.somethingawful.com/photoshop-phriday/void-racers-cyoa/

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Biomute posted:

Introductions need to capture the interest of the reader quickly, but there is a fine line between the wonder of discovery and outright confusion. There are some really popular authors that I personally feel are atrocious at this kind of thing, so where that lines goes seems to be very subjective. I've not read Quantum Thief, but for instance I hate the way Revelation Space just throws you in there, I tolerate when A Fire Upon the Deep does it, but I prefer the exposition and slow introduction of elements in Dune.

Hate to say this but The Quantum Thief may not be for you. It's the first series I've read where I started experiencing this, so it seems my tolerance for this is very high and TQT still stressed it. I never thought of Revelation Space or A Fire Upon the Deep in that way.

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009
The only thing you really need to get what's going on in Quantum Thief is a background in pop-culture cyberpunk and a Discover Magazine-level understanding of quantum physics.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Does Children Of The Sky actually deal with the whole Zones Of Thought concept (which is a great concept)? Because A Deepness In The Sky mostly ignored it. If it doesn't, then I'm pretty surprised Vinge created this really compelling idea, but then didn't really play with it except for the first book it's in.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Khizan posted:

Falling Free is absolutely nothing at all like the rest of the Vorkosigan books; it's set in the same universe but that's the only connection.

Start with Shards of Honor, I would say. It's not the greatest, but I think that it helps set the stage for The Warrior's Apprentice pretty well. If you have a thing for chronological order you can go to Barrayar after Shards, but Warrior's Apprentice is the start of the Miles books and the Miles books are where the series goes from "eh" to "awesome".

You can also start with Warrior's Apprentice if you don't mind missing out on some worldbuilding things.

Vorkosigan check-in: Holy gently caress at Cordelia's idea of 'shopping' :stonklol:

I'm glad I went in chronological order, because the stuff with Bothari and the two Elenas in The Warrior's Apprentice would have had almost no context without the previous two books.

Halfway through The Vor Games, bring on Admiral Naismith again :black101:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Cordelia owns, it's a true fact. You just wait. I think my absolute favorite Cordelia moment - which Bujold already laid the groundwork for - will pan out in ... oh, A Civil Campaign, I think?

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Psion posted:

Cordelia owns, it's a true fact. You just wait. I think my absolute favorite Cordelia moment - which Bujold already laid the groundwork for - will pan out in ... oh, A Civil Campaign, I think?

The couch conversation?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Longbaugh01 posted:

Does Children Of The Sky actually deal with the whole Zones Of Thought concept (which is a great concept)? Because A Deepness In The Sky mostly ignored it. If it doesn't, then I'm pretty surprised Vinge created this really compelling idea, but then didn't really play with it except for the first book it's in.

Very indirectly, and mostly as a Chekov's gun.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Has anyone read Julie Czerneda's Survival? I'm about halfway through and while it's well written and the characterization is pretty strong, nothing's really... happened.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Khizan posted:

that moment

Yes, that's the one. So good.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Psion posted:

Yes, that's the one. So good.

Just tell me that Cavilo shows up again. She and Miles have the best (worst?) love/hate/obsession thing going on. :suspense:

e: So is the thing with Miles always going to be that a) he has no confidence in himself so he has to play at being 'Admiral Naismith' and then b) he constantly stumbles into poo poo up to his neck and has to bullshit and improvise his way out of it, because if so this is going to be magical :allears:

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Nov 16, 2015

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

No. Sometimes he's too confident in himself and stumbles into poo poo up to his neck and has to bullshit and improvise his way out of it.

It's still magical, though.

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

WarLocke posted:

e: So is the thing with Miles always going to be that a) he has no confidence in himself so he has to play at being 'Admiral Naismith' and then b) he constantly stumbles into poo poo up to his neck and has to bullshit and improvise his way out of it, because if so this is going to be magical :allears:

Did you read The Mountains of Mourning before moving on to The Vor Game?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

TheHoodedClaw posted:

Did you read The Mountains of Mourning before moving on to The Vor Game?

drat, I screwed up the order already? I think I have that one in an omnibus that was labeled as being later in the series, or something. I'd have to check when I get home. :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I still maintain the only "significant" (which should be in air quotes) order screwup involves pre/post-Memory books so don't worry too much about it. Go back and fill in if you missed something, it's cool.

Omnibuses are good for this, they tend to be in nice logical blocks.

Psion fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Nov 16, 2015

• Locked thread