Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Anyone have a chance to try the Burundi Kayanza Kinyovu microlot batches floating around? I've been having brews and shots of the number 5 batch and am pretty much in love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

Anyone have a chance to try the Burundi Kayanza Kinyovu microlot batches floating around? I've been having brews and shots of the number 5 batch and am pretty much in love.

Who is roasting these beans for you?

My personal favorite right now is the Ethiopia Sidamo I just polished off from Paper or Plastik Cafe in Los Angeles. Roasted darker than I usually prefer but this poo poo is so rich and almost buttery. So good.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Mandalay posted:

My personal favorite right now is the Ethiopia Sidamo I just polished off from Paper or Plastik Cafe in Los Angeles. Roasted darker than I usually prefer but this poo poo is so rich and almost buttery. So good.

Buddy Brew in Tampa. They started roasting it at a city+ but each batch has been lighter than the last and I think better for it. Still not a match for my still favorite Kenya kinyaga peaberry but I just loved how amazingly bright that was/is. They just ditched Ethiopia Sidamo for Queen City Harrar, not sure how I feel about that swap yet.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Mu Zeta posted:

Every coffee place i go to seems to have one

And a wall of parked bicycles. I feel like I'm in a Portlandia sketch sometimes.

You are a regular in the coffee thread, you crossed the rubicon to Portlandia ages ago.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Mandalay posted:

Augies in redlands is roasting sidamo light. One of the tasting notes in "fruity pebbles" which is correct. A good thing.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

nm posted:

Augies in redlands is roasting sidamo light. One of the tasting notes in "fruity pebbles" which is correct. A good thing.

Good tip. $5 cheaper for a 340g beans than LA-area roasters too, though shipping makes that a wash (no pun intended, this is a dry process coffee)

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...

dema posted:

Yes. Worth it. Using an 18g one with my Quick Mill Anita. Distribution of the shot as seen from my bottomless portafilter improved significantly compared to the generic basket it came with.

So I needed to order a replacement shower screen (mine's always had hole blockages from a poor stamp, etc and I finally got sick of it). Espressoparts had what appeared to be a nice replacement/upgrade for Gaggia commercial/home machines, so picked that up and one of their HQ 14g baskets as well. Like 15 bucks out the door with free FedEx ground. We'll see what that does and I may still consider one of the VST's at a later time (and perhaps a bottomless portafilter).

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I missed out on cupping some Esmerelde Especiale today at counter culture. SUPER BUMMED.

micnato
May 3, 2006
I am thinking about getting an ibrik because it seems neat, but I have never had Turkish coffee and have no idea if I would like it. Is it somewhere between traditional coffee and espresso, or something completely different?

VVV There is absolutely nothing in my town except national franchises. I doubt Starbucks does Turkish coffee.

micnato fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Apr 27, 2013

Hauki
May 11, 2010

micnato posted:

I am thinking about getting an ibrik because it seems neat, but I have never had Turkish coffee and have no idea if I would like it. Is it somewhere between traditional coffee and espresso, or something completely different?
That's not exactly how I would describe it, but it's good, you should definitely give it a shot. Uh, to try and give an actual description, it's rich, intensely flavorful, thick and syrupy when done right. Can use a variety of ground spices, sugar, or nothing besides coffee & water. Maybe see if there's a place in your area that serves it and give it a shot?
I have way too many coffee things taking up space in my kitchen and I usually use a chemex & kone or cremina for my regular drinking, but I pull out the ibrik/cezve from time to time usually as a late afternoon or dessert thing.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Does anyone have any tips for making coffee with a Moka pot? I've had one for a while and quite like using it for ghetto flat whites, but feel I could be doing better/would like to try something new.

Mu Zeta posted:

When did parklets become a thing and why are there so many of them

Neighborhoods like them because it prevents registered sex offenders from living nearby.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
What's the recommended thermometer for measuring water temperature if we're using a generic kettle?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

kim jong-illin posted:

What's the recommended thermometer for measuring water temperature if we're using a generic kettle?

Any instant read thermometer is fine really. The de-facto recommendation if money isn't an issue is the Thermapen.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
I have a $10 off $25 for roastmasters.com, anything good there? Or should I just forgo it and order from sweet marias/metropolis.

Looking for some stuff for drip coffee (I roast some for my mother), and also for espresso (me!)

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011

rockcity posted:

Any instant read thermometer is fine really. The de-facto recommendation if money isn't an issue is the Thermapen.

Are there any laser thermometers that aren't poo poo? The only way the Thermapen would work in my kettle is if I overfill it high enough for the probe to fit in, which is just wasteful of water.

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad
I would perform a test using your kettle. Obtain several styrofoam cups. Bring the kettle to a boil, take it off the heat, and wait 10 seconds and pour it into a cup. Measure the temperature. Repeat this test for 20 and 30 seconds after taking it off the heat. I think you will find that you should be able to wait 10-20 seconds after taking it off the heat for a water temperature that is consistently within the optimum range (195-205 F). You should then be able to decide if you require greater accuracy.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

kim jong-illin posted:

Are there any laser thermometers that aren't poo poo? The only way the Thermapen would work in my kettle is if I overfill it high enough for the probe to fit in, which is just wasteful of water.

I think you mean infrared thermometer. Most of them have lasers, but the laser is just for aiming and has no effect on the thermometer. They work well, but they aren't necessarily that accurate for kettle temp at least not while it's heating. They're fine if you're trying to hold a temp though, I use mine a lot when I'm homebrewing. My thermometer probe is long enough to fit in the steam hole of my kettle and hit the water, but my kettle is fairly small. I typically don't use a thermometer at all for most of my brewing though, I just let it boil and then as mentioned above, let it rest for about 30 seconds so it cools down to the 205 range.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
Thanks, guys, that sounds like a much more practical solution to getting the right temperature. I'll try those methods out instead.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

kim jong-illin posted:

Thanks, guys, that sounds like a much more practical solution to getting the right temperature. I'll try those methods out instead.

It's never really served me wrong. I use the thermometer a lot more for tea than coffee because teas have such a wide range of steeping temps. An instant read thermometer is definitely useful to have in the kitchen though.

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...

rockcity posted:

It's never really served me wrong. I use the thermometer a lot more for tea than coffee because teas have such a wide range of steeping temps. An instant read thermometer is definitely useful to have in the kitchen though.

It really is the practical way to go. You can use a thermometer to get a feel for how much time to wait based on your vessel of choice. Pretty soon you have your stuff down cold... er... hot... whatever. The only thing that might throw things off is if you're at extreme altitudes and your boiling point moves.

For tea though, my wife took pity on me years ago and got me one of those fancy-schmancy kettles that lets you park and hold 3L of water at the right temp for your tea of choice.

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

Ok folks, keen for some input with blending some home roast for a decent espresso. I've been sampling a few different kilos of green beans from my local roasters, but not sure what I should be looking for when trying to put together an everyday espresso mix.

Where do I start? Is there a basic recipe or guide to combining flavours anyone can recommend? How do I combine Africa and South American beans to produce satisfaction?

I've found a really decent Ethiopian - really full bodied red wine. I have a Bolivian - more pepper and cocoa. Yirgacheffe - more berries and fruit. I also have a kilo of Cuban which I haven't roasted in a while - from memory it was similar to the Bolivian in flavour profile. I've also just run out of a PNG - which needs a very delicate roast but was very very sweet and dark.

The only blend I've tried is the Ethiopian:Bolivian in a 1:1 rato. The PNG worked well when I threw some Yirgacheffe in on top if it in my grinder, but I'm not sure it's setting my palette alight compared to fresh roasted espresso blends I've bought.

I tend to roast to the edge of 2C in my trusty Sunbeam Cornelius popper, but,have enjoyed experimenting. Roasting the single origins then mixing before storage. Keen to hear what anyone else has tried for espresso.

dusty fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Apr 30, 2013

Street Soldier
Oct 28, 2005

An egotistical being like myself can't be allowed to live...
This is probably the dumbest thing anyone has asked in this thread but I'm getting a Hario V60 soon and I have no idea, do I need to use more coffee than I normally would or the same amount? I've only ever had instant coffee before.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If this is your first step then don't get the Hario. Get the Clever Dripper listed in the OP. Way easier to use. I suggest you try 20g coffee to 300g water to start, then just adjust to taste from there.

Street Soldier
Oct 28, 2005

An egotistical being like myself can't be allowed to live...

Mu Zeta posted:

If this is your first step then don't get the Hario.

Too late, it's already on the way.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Then just stay with my ratio recommendations and try to pour slowly. You can watch a bunch of videos with terrible music on Youtube to help.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

dusty posted:

Ok folks, keen for some input with blending some home roast for a decent espresso. I've been sampling a few different kilos of green beans from my local roasters, but not sure what I should be looking for when trying to put together an everyday espresso mix.

Where do I start? Is there a basic recipe or guide to combining flavours anyone can recommend? How do I combine Africa and South American beans to produce satisfaction?
As a rule of thumb I like to make my espresso base Brazillian, 50-60% or there abouts. Then something Central American to sweeten things - 40%- usually the Costa Rica du jour. I'll hit it with about 10% of something Indonesion. That gives me the body and sweetness I like in an espresso with nice crema. I'll mix it up sometimes with some African instead of the Central American. And when I could find Yemeni Mocha Raimi I would do that at 80-90% and cut the Brazillian down match.

I'm no expert on any of this - and would also love to hear others blending theory and technique.

I used to keep a database of blends and roast times and sourcing, but now I pretty much blend as I roast, and don't get all anal retentive about the process :)

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...

porktree posted:

As a rule of thumb I like to make my espresso base Brazillian, 50-60% or there abouts. Then something Central American to sweeten things - 40%- usually the Costa Rica du jour. I'll hit it with about 10% of something Indonesion. That gives me the body and sweetness I like in an espresso with nice crema. I'll mix it up sometimes with some African instead of the Central American. And when I could find Yemeni Mocha Raimi I would do that at 80-90% and cut the Brazillian down match.

I'm no expert on any of this - and would also love to hear others blending theory and technique.

I used to keep a database of blends and roast times and sourcing, but now I pretty much blend as I roast, and don't get all anal retentive about the process :)

What he said.

Basically I started here: http://www.sweetmarias.com/blending.php

I read a bit, tried my hand at it, pondered for a moment just how time consuming it would be to figure out the perfect bean components and what roasts each of those should be to get their optimum flavor components... and then remembered I already have a job. :)

Right now I'm running Brazil Fazenda 50% / <insert one of many Ethiopians I have around here> 50% blend for both my wife's drip and my espresso, and this is usually how I do it. I messed with some 3-bean blends, tried different ratios, just took too much time. I've even dorked around with a mélange of 3 roast levels of the same bean.

I finally just decided that there are a lot of people with way more time on their hands for this sort of thing (read as: professionals) who are making some killer blends. I'll just buy those when opportunity calls and do my simple SO and 50/50 stuff at home and be happy (which I totally am).

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Putting in a green bean order. Thinking I need some Ethiopian in my life. For another origin, what could be interesting for iced coffee/cold brew? I know those methods are a bit less bean-sensitive but it could be fun for the warmer weather.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Street Soldier posted:

Too late, it's already on the way.

The Clever is $20, practice on it first

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Tangentially related but a documentary about coffee called "A Film About Coffee" posted their teaser trailer. Looks interesting to say the least.

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

Great response re:blending, thanks guys.

The annoying thing is that neither of my local roasters seem to use a Brazilian base - but they do carry a Columbian which I'll pick up tomorrow. Sweet Maria mentions that there will not be as much crema. Will throw a few batches through the roaster and see what happens. Even the mistakes so far have turned out rather tasty.

Do you guys tend to mix then roast, or roast the single origins first then mix after?

dusty fucked around with this message at 11:12 on May 1, 2013

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

dusty posted:

Do you guys tend to mix then roast, or roast the single origins first then mix after?
I'm a Philistine - I roast it all together. I don't drink espresso fast enough that I roast more than 8-12oz at a time. I roast about every 4 days.

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...

dusty posted:

Mix then roast. The other way begs my starting another career.

firebad57
Dec 29, 2008
DUMB NEWBIE QUESTION: I just did my first two roasts (a Guatemala and Java from SweetMaria's) in a Whirley Pop this morning, and after some further research, I getting more certain that I didn't let the first crack finish. I am definitely not sure, but from looking at pictures, they look like they might be a little light for a City roast.

I'm going to try them tomorrow, since I'm supposed to wait 24 hrs to degas (right?), but I was wondering if I'd totally gently caress poo poo up by re-roasting them a little bit to get them darker. I don't know why that would be a bad idea, but it seems like the sort of thing that is.

Thoughts?

I'm excited to try it, even if it's not the best. I'm totally open to just chalking these few oz up to a learning experience, but was wondering if there is a good way to "fix it".

Also excited for my CCD AND Aeropress to arrive :homebrew:

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

Nah, don't reheat. For next roast take em real dark all the way through 2nd - it'll give you an idea of how far you can push and what the smells and sounds are. Then try something in the middle after :)

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Just curious, what do people think of Brooklyn Roasting Company?

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

i am not so sure posted:

Never heard of them.

Have an espresso.

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

Nice glass - I've got a couple of tulip shaped 60ml which aren't as nice a shape that's for sure. Feels more of a whiskey tumbler than a cup for drinking coffee out of. I'm impressed at how robust they are though - feel so fragile but they bounce ok.

Mechanics help - my dispersion screen is held on by a 14mm brass bolt looking thing which I'm finding impossible to move. It's quite a short height and when I tried a socket on it it uselessly nibbled away at the head and didn't shift it. Any tips for getting this off? Pretty sure it's a year or two overdue for a clean in there. Ideally I'd like to replace it with a slotted screw for easy removal for cleaning once a month or whatever. This is a 58mm Brasillia group - mini lady.

And it's been a couple of days since I roasted - have around half a kilo of coffee in a couple of different blends. The Columbian bean I picked up smelled fantastic - decent body and real full mouth feel when I tried nibbling a few roasted fresh. I can't recall what I've blended with it - but I pulled ten-eleven batches of four different beans in order to carry me till the weekend. It's interesting trying a few blends from the roaster that I buy my beans from - I'm beginning to pick out what they're using in different roasts, especially the dark PNG.

I'm thinking the Columbian or Cuban with a bit of yirgacheffe could be a goer. I really love the yirg, on it's own or with friends, tis a great wee bean. And small so they tend to roast slow - poppers are incredibly fast. Sub-six minute roasts are easily achievable with some beans, wich is far from ideal, but with Yirg it won't hit 2c till around 10 minutes so a nice medium roast is at 7-9 minutes depending on how I'm feeling. Pretty reasonable time for a popper which hasn't been modded

dusty fucked around with this message at 12:24 on May 6, 2013

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

i am not so sure posted:

They're pretty decent. I like the Amaro Gayo a lot, but not so much the Yirgacheffe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
OK, dumb question - let's say I forgot to roast coffee last night and don't have any ready to go this morning - how bad is it to brew coffee that hasn't had a chance to degas for the proper amount of time? Say, 30 mintues as opposed to 12 hours?