Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

There are no drones here. No way no how.
This thread inspired me to look into transcription, since it seems to be a decent source of money on top of my regular job. I'm taking the DT test now, and am slightly confused as to how to include all these uhs and ums. Are they looking for something like this: And now the uh chef is w-working on uh it appears to be a uh-uh cake thing.

or do they want something more like " And now the, uh, chef is w-working on, uh, it appears to be a uh-uh, cake thing.

I never realized just how bad Alton is at talking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
You can actually use either format for that. I usually don't punctuate them for DT work unless the structure of how they're speaking demands it somehow. So for example I'd still write it as uh, you know, and also um, like, because those kinds of speech things demand commas on either end if you ask me.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

That looks good, but I just type all the "ums" and "uhs" with a um, comma uh, after uh, uh, them like so. Be careful with the "Uh-uh" as that could be read as a "no" instead of stuttering. Unless they are actually disagreeing. I haven't looked at the new test file.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Unfortunately, since DT expressly forbids double dashes to indicate word stutters which strikes me as a much more logical thing than just using a single dash (Thanks JKL), there isn't actually any difference in uh-uh disagreement and uh-uh stuttering uhs. For a while I didn't use dashes in DT files at all because of that, even when dashes would be appropriate such as "one-of-a-kind" because there's no distinction as to whether that's a string of stutters or someone saying one of a kind, I only used dashes for stutters.

Now I don't give a poo poo and QC hasn't given me any guff for it so whatever.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010

AuntBuck posted:

That looks good, but I just type all the "ums" and "uhs" with a um, comma uh, after uh, uh, them like so. Be careful with the "Uh-uh" as that could be read as a "no" instead of stuttering. Unless they are actually disagreeing. I haven't looked at the new test file.

stuttered: um-um-um or uh-uh
yummy noise: mm-mm
negative: uh-uh, rest of speech (yes, that would be confusing)
positive: mm-hmm, uh-huh

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

I'd love to lay you down.
Yeah, as long as you catch everything they say it doesn't seem like QC really cares about the punctuation details.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Shima Honnou posted:

Unfortunately, since DT expressly forbids double dashes to indicate word stutters which strikes me as a much more logical thing than just using a single dash (Thanks JKL), there isn't actually any difference in uh-uh disagreement and uh-uh stuttering uhs. For a while I didn't use dashes in DT files at all because of that, even when dashes would be appropriate such as "one-of-a-kind" because there's no distinction as to whether that's a string of stutters or someone saying one of a kind, I only used dashes for stutters.

Now I don't give a poo poo and QC hasn't given me any guff for it so whatever.

Everybody does it a little different. I had one client who wanted ellipsis after every stutter.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

Anyone done writing for LOLWOT? http://cms.lolwot.com/

Saw a random ad for them and the prospect seems interesting but also shady.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Both their terms of use and their privacy policy 404, I'm not sure I'd trust that site.

http://www.freelancewritinggigs.com/2015/03/lolwot-writing-platform/

This site seems to think they're legit enough, but look at those pay rates. $2 for a list, $5 for a video, $5 for a news piece. Lol wot indeed.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Totes confident the producers of these videos want 3 minutes of the camera crew trying to figure out their sound mixing because EVERYTHING MUST BE TRANSCRIBED.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Yeah, those LOLWOT prices are insanely low given what I imagine their word count minimums are. I used to write list articles and movie reviews for CloudCrowd that ran about $20 apiece.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Heck, Listverse will pay you $100 for one.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Got my DT check on Monday last week and still haven't got it this week. Are they inconsistent on sending them out? End of the month thing?

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

thylacine posted:

Got my DT check on Monday last week and still haven't got it this week. Are they inconsistent on sending them out? End of the month thing?

If it's past the due date get in touch and see if they received your invoice, and if they did ask them to resend. I have a check go missing about once every six months. Wish they'd do direct deposit.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
I've never had a check go missing, but yes, they do bump up the end of the month billing cut off by about 24 hours apparently. Sometimes it just gets a little delayed.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

AuntBuck posted:

If it's past the due date get in touch and see if they received your invoice, and if they did ask them to resend. I have a check go missing about once every six months. Wish they'd do direct deposit.

That is the one thing I really hate about this business, clients who insist on sending checks. Most of my pay comes in direct deposit or Paypal, but I've got one client who insists on sending paper checks.

At least I can deposit the drat things with my smartphone now.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Yeah, I know, but even then my bank password is like 25 characters long so it's a pain to do on my phone. Oh well, money's money and maybe DT can join us in the 21st century sometime in the future.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Shima Honnou posted:

Yeah, I know, but even then my bank password is like 25 characters long so it's a pain to do on my phone. Oh well, money's money and maybe DT can join us in the 21st century sometime in the future.

Get a password manager app.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I used to get DT checks on Monday like clockwork, until the Christmas busy mail season started, even since then it's been Monday-Wednesday, but never later than that. Except that one week they sent out email letting us know they'd be late cause Accountants think they're people and want to celebrate Christmas. Silly Accountants.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
I hope every person who appears in a full verbatim file that feels the need to interject with mm-hmm and yeah and uh-huh and other poo poo gets their flesh torn from their body like it's Hellraiser.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
But if it's single word interjections nor responding then you don't need that in normally DT...unless it's two person. Oh, you got a two person. Oh, I'm so sorry. :(

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Slightly Used Cake posted:

But if it's single word interjections nor responding then you don't need that in normally DT...unless it's two person. Oh, you got a two person. Oh, I'm so sorry. :(

It could be worse, yesterday I had a three person and they played a song during it that literally all three kept interrupting.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

I remember back in the day when they sent me an interview with a five-person boy band that at all apparently had Red Bulls before the interview.

I completed it and never accepted anything with more than one subject ever again.

EDIT: Accepted, not excepted. Man, two all-nighters in one week and I turn into a keyboard ape.

kazmeyer fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Mar 14, 2015

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010

kazmeyer posted:

I remember back in the day when they sent me an interview with a five-person boy band that at all apparently had Red Bulls before the interview.

I completed it and never excepted anything with more than one subject ever again.

A few months ago they kept sending us stuff from this focus group about home buying. Only have to identify by male or female according to the proposal, accept the assignment, on the guide of course it says "unless they name themselves" and they all did because it's a focus group and the first thing you do is introduce yourself. So, now you're being paid a lovely rate to track 12 people. I wouldn't mind the lovely assignments. It's the trying to trick me I find offensive.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

A few months ago they kept sending us stuff from this focus group about home buying. Only have to identify by male or female according to the proposal, accept the assignment, on the guide of course it says "unless they name themselves" and they all did because it's a focus group and the first thing you do is introduce yourself. So, now you're being paid a lovely rate to track 12 people. I wouldn't mind the lovely assignments. It's the trying to trick me I find offensive.

In my experience DT already requires you to track people even if you don't know them, they've always made me list people as MALE 1: MALE 2: FEMALE 1: FEMALE 2: etc, and include a description of them if there's more than one male or female in the INTERVIEW WITH portion of it.

One time I had a video that went up to FEMALE 22 and almost all of them were blondes wearing the same exact outfit.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

It's the trying to trick me I find offensive.

Oh my God, this. If I get a tape that's a hard job and it's just a hard job, that's fine. If the client or the customer has done something to try to gently caress me, be it use a voice-activated recorder, cutting out questions, speeding up the tape, sandbagging me with having to track speakers under ridiculous circumstances, whatever, I turn into the computer from "I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream."

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

I usually just go gently caress it and guess if it gets too ridiculous. How do you even keep track of 22 females good God.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Spartan421 posted:

I usually just go gently caress it and guess if it gets too ridiculous. How do you even keep track of 22 females good God.

A shitload of Diet Dr Pepper and self-hatred. There were actually closer to 30 including Q, but the rest either gave their names or were named by someone else.

E: Speaking of, considering JKL's work is seriously picking up the pace these days and DT has given me nothing but dialogues the past number of days (And most of them at loving 75 cents, too), I think it's time to quit them again until times get rough again, so hopefully not until loving December. I like having some free time, even if the combined take for this week is something crazy like $650 between both clients, it's not worth my time listening to some fuckers stutter it up and have to actually go back to typing because of how poor their speech is that it takes longer to speak it than just type it.

E2: Like 30 minutes of footage, over 600 speaker transitions, 40 page .doc. Kill me. In celebration I've gotten myself a not-Christmas avatar now that they fixed the avatar server, which coincidentally is like a 4th of the pay that this file gives me because it was garbage pay.

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Mar 14, 2015

Perpetual Ascent
Feb 24, 2008

His haunts are not confined to the valley, but extend at times to the adjacent roads...

Shima Honnou posted:

A shitload of Diet Dr Pepper and self-hatred. There were actually closer to 30 including Q, but the rest either gave their names or were named by someone else.

E: Speaking of, considering JKL's work is seriously picking up the pace these days and DT has given me nothing but dialogues the past number of days (And most of them at loving 75 cents, too), I think it's time to quit them again until times get rough again, so hopefully not until loving December. I like having some free time, even if the combined take for this week is something crazy like $650 between both clients, it's not worth my time listening to some fuckers stutter it up and have to actually go back to typing because of how poor their speech is that it takes longer to speak it than just type it.

E2: Like 30 minutes of footage, over 600 speaker transitions, 40 page .doc. Kill me. In celebration I've gotten myself a not-Christmas avatar now that they fixed the avatar server, which coincidentally is like a 4th of the pay that this file gives me because it was garbage pay.

This has been my life the past week or so. I've greatly appreciated the opportunity DT has afforded me so far but there's been some rough days lately, with seemingly no end in sight :smith: 2015 isn't such a great year for DT so far.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010

Perpetual Ascent posted:

This has been my life the past week or so. I've greatly appreciated the opportunity DT has afforded me so far but there's been some rough days lately, with seemingly no end in sight :smith: 2015 isn't such a great year for DT so far.

I agree. I'm off their books for the moment, and I'm not going to go back on for a bit. They know better!

Slightly Used Cake fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Mar 15, 2015

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

Ugh, I hate that a place I recommended has become such a pain in the rear end. But this is an illustration of my cardinal rule of freelancing: any job can go south at any time, so keep more than one iron in the fire. You always hope that a good client remains viable forever, but it rarely happens. Hopefully DT will get out of the doldrums eventually and will be worth taking jobs for again sometime soon.

All the more reason to keep checking Craigslist for gigs. Make a habit out of hitting it up every few days, because a lot of places only put their ads up for a brief time. At the moment, I see a really non-informative ad looking for a "transcriber" -- not "transcribers", which usually means a one-time only project -- for $1 a minute, and Verbal Ink is hiring but they're really hard to get into -- 3+ years experience and they ask for and contact references. If I wasn't pretty busy at the moment I'd give it a shot just to see if I could add them to my list; I applied once a few years ago but never heard back.

(I don't know if I've ever mentioned SearchTempest, but it's a great way to scan Craigslist for gigs. Plug in some LA zip code, put "transcription transcriber" in the search field and select "any" results (not "all"), select the jobs board and change the search radius to "any". Most of the stuff you want gets posted to major California cities, but occasionally page through for a while or jump to the east coast, because clients will put up ads anywhere sometimes.)

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

I'm still cool with DT. Maybe it's because I've been there for almost three years but they don't abuse me too much and don't cry and drop me if I don't sign up for work. Yeah I should probably find some other gigs too but I'm about to graduate from college finally so what's the point. In other news gotta love these photo identifiers with the glamour shots that look nothing like the person being interviewed.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

I remember one time they gave me one of those glamour shots ID panels for an audio file.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

kazmeyer posted:

I remember one time they gave me one of those glamour shots ID panels for an audio file.

Still were as recently as last year.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
Last year? Clearly you haven't received an Atlanta file lately. :-D

And they're still good. I just hunger for more than all the reality stuff. I love them for the weird random projects. I even like those bullshit insurance phone calls. I just don't really enjoy reality TV. Give me actual documentaries all day long but jesus fed lines make me want to cut myself.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

I love them for the weird random projects.

A few weeks ago I had (part of) an interview with a photojournalist who got taken hostage during Libya.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
Old hoarded Beatles interviews. :3:

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

Oh yeah, pretty much anything is more interesting than reality TV. I did an infomercial this week that was pretty easy and also had an interview with a lady who was educating kids about AIDS in South Africa. I remember some old jobs like a woman that was a journalist or CIA historian or something talking about Al Qaeda and her views on the war efforts. Also had an Indian actress that was famous for a lot of early Bollywood stuff which was interesting even though I had to look up a million things. These were generally really lengthy interviews like two or three hours long so I guess you'd have to be signing up for 90 minutes a day or something to get the good stuff. I also had a documentary on the evolution of hip hop since like 1980. Transcription is just like a box of chocolates as they say.

Spartan421 fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Mar 16, 2015

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!
yeah for all their weird disorganization, even DT at its worst makes me better than minimum wage at a job that's often pretty interesting (and at its best is a lot better than that), and they're willing to take on people with straight up no experience. I'm definitely at the position where I'd love a second place to work nwo taht I've gotten the ropes down but as an entry point I would say it's still a good thing to reccomend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Don't get me wrong, the majority of DT's projects are good and fun.

And then you get one where you want to shoot yourself but the pay for that project just isn't good enough to afford any bullets.